Just wanted to offer my thanks, or, "Overcoming oddball shutter speeds"

Started by agrippa, February 16, 2021, 04:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agrippa

I literally just signed up to say thank you to the devs who bust their butts on this project. I'd heard of ML before, but never checked it out until now; I have to say, for the one tiny thing I needed it for, it has proven invaluable.

For the past few days, I have been trying to capture footage of a Macintosh Plus CRT without image scan banding to no avail. I've needed only a few shots, but each and every time I tried to dial in on the refresh rate, the shutter speed has been off by the narrowest of margins; this is largely due to the vertical scan frequency of compact Mac CRTs being just north of 60Hz (60.17Hz). After seeing that highly granular fine-tuning of shutter speeds was an option with ML, I decided to load it on to my T3i and give it a go. Lo and behold, after getting my shutter set to 1/30.089, there is no more banding and a I've got a crystal clear image to work with.

Thank you so very much to everyone who contributes to this; mine may have been only a small potatoes problem, but this solved it completely. I'm not much into cryptocurrencies, but, I'd love to chip in something to say thanks. Is there any other method to donate with at the moment?

Walter Schulz

Thanks for sharing! I think I'm not the only one here enjoying to read about odd use cases!

Quote from: agrippa on February 16, 2021, 04:39:46 AMIs there any other method to donate with at the moment?

Nope, ATM it's the only option. May change over the next few months but no fixed date available.

agrippa

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 16, 2021, 03:20:07 PM
Thanks for sharing! I think I'm not the only one here enjoying to read about odd use cases!

Nope, ATM it's the only option. May change over the next few months but no fixed date available.

Glad to share! I also plan on using it to capture footage of some arcade game CRTs in the future. Much like the Mac Plus, their vertical frequencies can either sit just above or below 60Hz or, in the case of some games, be deliberately designed to run well outside of the norm (the game R-Type, for instance, runs at 55Hz), so ML will work perfectly for that.

As far as donations go, roger that. I'll look into acquiring a tiny li'l slice of bitcoin to contribute. It's honestly worth it to me.

Walter Schulz

Thanks, but no need to get a digital wallet right now. It won't help to move ML project forward. It would be better (IMO) to wait until a funding scheme has been established.
Just wait for next steps but as mentioned before: Unpredictable time frame.