SD Overclocking - DIGIC 5 only

Started by theBilalFakhouri, February 12, 2021, 10:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Quote from: gabriielangel on September 22, 2022, 03:12:51 AM
If that's the only way, I will take that route then.
It is a different kind of endeavour, as I will need a second tripod, etc.
Most likely compression errors if text appear while recording. Check this place in mlv_lite.c:
        if (OUTPUT_COMPRESSION)
        {
            /* PackMem appears to require stricter memory alignment */
            ASSERT(((uint32_t)out_ptr & 0x3F) == 0);
            ASSERT((max_frame_size & 0xFFF) == 0);
            struct memSuite * outSuite = CreateMemorySuite(out_ptr, max_frame_size, 0);
            ASSERT(outSuite);

int compressed_size = lossless_compress_raw_rectangle(
                outSuite, fullSizeBuffer,
                raw_info.width, (skip_x + 7) & ~7, skip_y & ~1,
                res_x, res_y
            );

/* only report compression errors while recording
             * some of them appear during video mode switches
             * unlikely to cause actual trouble - silence them for now */
            if (compressed_size < 0 && !RAW_IS_IDLE)
            {
                printf("Compression error %d at frame %d\n", compressed_size, frame_count-1);
                ASSERT(0);
            }

DeleteMemorySuite(outSuite);

gabriielangel

I did a quick record this morning. I will be able to tell you about the data rates of the different sections in the mlv file this evening.

In the video I start with a soft focus of my test image. I stop recording myself;
Second trial I focus a little more, It stops recording itself;
Third trial I get sharp focus. You see the errors (As Danne said, while recording) I let it go a little then stop recording.

Video Demonstration: https://bit.ly/3Uxkkcs

Test conditions to replicate easily:
2.5k 1:1 Preset
Lens at f3.5
Iso 400 (Makes it easier to replicate)
Lens at 66 cm from the screen
Exposure as seen on screen (It will still happen without the Overlays, I left those on for ease)
Record the still first frame of the test file (The rest is to test something else): https://bit.ly/3LwH4W9

This is not limited to Lab settings, I ran into this problem during the summer when shooting certain foliage and animal closeups (Fur) under harsh sun, but could not figure it out.

Danne

Compression errors can be fixed with tweaking regs. Often reg 713 and reg 7150. Seems this could be needed in this preset.

EDIT: Then again when looking closer I see liveview addons like histogram? If so, test is not valid. No extras to reduce overhead. Use only framing or real time previev, nothing else selected.
Generally when speed indicator goes in and out of orange red there could be a compression error risk.

gabriielangel

@Danne, if you read closely, I said that I left the overlays on for ease, because exposure is an important parameter (I specified, because we had an exchange about this).
I ran the test with and without the Histogram and spot meter, and it did it too. I am able to replicate the test results on demand.

I think that because it is easier to make it crap out 10 times out of 10 when ISO is set to 400, I suspect that the extra noise (Extra details) is one of the reasons.
But I could be wrong.

Edit: Do you know what reg_713c and reg_7150 Stand for? The values are -2000 to +2000. That's a lot of combinations to test :)

Danne

You can check in crop_rec.c. Unfortunately I can't help atm but you could try lowering 7150 a little and raise 713c or lower. No more than 5-15 up and down 713c.
7150 not sure if needed.

gabriielangel

This is within my capabilities, no problem.
Maybe someone in the know could chime in, if they have the explanation handy(Actual purpose of each reg, so I can take potential problems into consideration)?

BTW, for those reading this out of context, this problem can be mitigated by:

1-Using a lower ISO (Less noise to encode)
2-Underexposition (Which results in a larger number of darker patches, easier to encode)
3-Avoiding tiny little details across the frame. For example, if I need to film a medium shot with blowing tree leaves without a subject in the foreground (Blurs the background a bit), I use the soft lens.

When I run into this problem, it is often because I move the camera, and the reflexions I tamed with the polarizer reappear suddently because of the change of angle.

I will move any findings, if any, in your main thread, to keep this one less cluttered.

dimas1md

Guys i have a problem, my 6D doesn't want to load patch, i have this errore

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1f4U_yzcbjYxZhoEm2s1ZQ5WQ0uTdGqxM?usp=sharing

Can you help me to make my old horse run like a young one? )))

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dimas1md on September 29, 2022, 01:15:49 AM
Guys i have a problem, my 6D doesn't want to load patch, i have this errore

You should always tell which build you are using. I suppose you are not using a crop_4k build as requested. See https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html or https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25782.0

theBilalFakhouri

I added the new sd_uhs source code to my ML github fork, also I have clean it up a bit, added more comments and split it to few commits.

-Also fixed a 6D issue, the card become inaccessible while running the overclock, pausing write/read operations is required too same as 5D3. Commit.
-Links are updated in first post, please report for any issues!

Edit: Will delete other sd_uhs versions which were posted by me (in other posts/topics) soon, and will redirect sd_uhs download to this topic.

theBilalFakhouri

I just updated SD card recommendations in first post:

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on February 12, 2021, 10:32:15 PM
SD card recommendations:

-Any SD card with W90 label (capable of 90 MB/s write speed) should work with 240 MHz or lower.
-List of SD cards which were tested and they work fine at 240 MHz (pay attention to SD card capacity, lower capacities may not be capable of 90 MB/s write speed):

• Sandisk Extreme PRO   95 MB/s  (64 GB or higher, SDR50, 32 GB isn't stable at 240 MHz)
  • Sandisk Extreme PRO 170 MB/s  (64 GB or higher, does 32 GB work?)
  • Sandisk Extreme PRO 200 MB/s  (64 GB or higher, does 32 GB work?)
  • Sandisk Extreme R190/W130      (256 GB, do lower capacities work?)
  • Sandisk Extreme Plus R170/W90 (256 GB, do lower capacities work?)
  • Samsung PRO Plus  (128 GB or higher, does 64 GB work?)
  • Samsung EVO Plus (256 GB)
  • Samsung EVO Select (256 GB)
  • Lexar UHS-II V90
  • Lexar Professional 256GB 1066x SDXC UHS-I (Silver Series)

-SD cards which doesn't work well at 240 MHz:

• Kingston Canvas Go!

Feel free to suggest edits to update the list.

iaburn

I would add the Kingston CANVAS Select Plus UHS-I, U3, V30, the ones over 128GB.
Slightly faster than The Sandisk Extreme PRO (tested 128 and 256GB), very stable on long recordings and reliable so far.

I can record RAW at 30fps on the BMPCC with no drop frames on this card, that says a lot  :D

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks for the suggestion iaburn, I have added it in the list.

Quote from: iaburn on February 23, 2023, 08:17:07 PM
Slightly faster than The Sandisk Extreme PRO (tested 128 and 256GB), very stable on long recordings and reliable so far.

Could you share some benchmarks at 240 MHz in Play mode for both Sandisk Extreme PRO and Kingston CANVAS Select Plus?

iaburn

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on February 23, 2023, 10:35:34 PM
Could you share some benchmarks at 240 MHz in Play mode for both Sandisk Extreme PRO and Kingston CANVAS Select Plus?

Sure, just did it with the 128GB ones, and I was actually wrong. I formatted both cards before the benchmark and the Sandisk got 94.4 MB/s max, I think it was around 85MB/s last time I checked. The Kingston tops at 89.8 MB/s:

Kingston CANVAS Select Plus 128GB:

Sandisk Extreme PRO (170MB/s) 128GB:

LesV

Hi guys,
Could you help me to understand why my sd card's performance is so poor? Can I do something (different settings) to reach that level I can see on the images above? Or I should buy a new one from the list you refer above?

The camera: Canon EOS 700D
The build I'm using: crop_rec_4k.2022May25.700D115
The SD card: Kingston CANVAS Go! Plus, 128 GB, 170 MB/s, U3, V30
Please have a look at the link below. The result is shockingly poor, even though overclocked it according the description in here, setting it to 240MHz.

Thanks in advance.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/158xEtdns-19YnRmXdtTX3a04hkZdicqT/view?usp=share_link

theBilalFakhouri

@LesV

The SD card you are using "Kingston CANVAS Go!" was tested before and it doesn't work fine with SD Overclocking (see first post).
However sd_uhs version in crop_rec_4k.2022May25.700D115 build is outdated, download the latest sd_uhs version from first post, replace the old sd_uhs.mo with the new one.

Or use crop mood build which include latest sd_uhs too (I will no longer maintain my old 650D / 700D builds).

Test 160, 192 and 240 MHz with the latest sd_uhs then feedback please.

pepper_chip

Quote from: LesV on April 29, 2023, 10:20:16 PM
Hi guys,
Could you help me to understand why my sd card's performance is so poor? Can I do something (different settings) to reach that level I can see on the images above? Or I should buy a new one from the list you refer above?

The camera: Canon EOS 700D
The build I'm using: crop_rec_4k.2022May25.700D115
The SD card: Kingston CANVAS Go! Plus, 128 GB, 170 MB/s, U3, V30
Please have a look at the link below. The result is shockingly poor, even though overclocked it according the description in here, setting it to 240MHz.

Thanks in advance.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/158xEtdns-19YnRmXdtTX3a04hkZdicqT/view?usp=share_link

Something went wrong, have two same Micro sd's and it can easy get around 78 mb/s when I'm recording

LesV

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 30, 2023, 12:53:10 AM
@LesV

The SD card you are using "Kingston CANVAS Go!" was tested before and it doesn't work fine with SD Overclocking (see first post).
However sd_uhs version in crop_rec_4k.2022May25.700D115 build is outdated, download the latest sd_uhs version from first post, replace the old sd_uhs.mo with the new one.

Or use crop mood build which include latest sd_uhs too (I will no longer maintain my old 650D / 700D builds).

Test 160, 192 and 240 MHz with the latest sd_uhs then feedback please.

@theBilalFakhouri

Hi, thanks for the super quick reply. Apologies, I had a very busy day yesterday and I wanted to try also what you advised me to. I didn't mention that for test, I used already THAT sd_uhs module you recommended. I combined it with the build I mentioned.

Now I installed the latest build (see the image on the link below) but got exactly the same result. Absolutely disappointing (not the build!). I also watched your video (Crop mood - Build Walkthrough) on YT and tried to apply the same settings you were doing but I couldn't completely (vid resolutions). The raw video options I can only choose, getting green (that is working continuously and properly), are just ridiculously poor and at very low bit rates. 

The benchmark result: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FCzVvijUBFPP7G_NO-AdAnqbLNquNhbW/view?usp=sharing

Is there ANY chance that the camera itself (by a setting I might have done somewhere) can cause this poor result? For goodness sake, the actual speed is only the half of the factory maximum. Or can my Kingston SD be faulty?

Any other ideas?

I already ordered another one (SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB 200 MB/s) because I need more storage capacity anyway. Once I have it, will run a test, and will confirm if it works as it expected.

Thanks a lot.

LesV

Quote from: pepper_chip on April 30, 2023, 01:20:05 AM
Something went wrong, have two same Micro sd's and it can easy get around 78 mb/s when I'm recording

@pepper_chip

Hi,

Thanks for your reply too. The fact that you wrote about the micro version of this sd card (from the same brand) should not effect speed, I mean yours and mine should work at pretty much the same speed. But, unfortunately, it's not the case. So far no clue what the problem might be. I'm waiting for a new card (ordered online) from a different brand, and will see the difference.

Thanks

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: LesV on May 01, 2023, 12:18:02 PM
Is there ANY chance that the camera itself (by a setting I might have done somewhere) can cause this poor result? For goodness sake, the actual speed is only the half of the factory maximum. Or can my Kingston SD be faulty?

We have limited knowledge about SD registers, if the card support 90 MB/s write speed and didn't work with 240 MHz (dropped to 21 MB/s) that mostly mean that the SD card didn't accept the overclock because of our SD overlocking configuration.

Run benchmarks for the kingston SD card using fast card reader in PC, if it's close to marketing SD speed numbers then the SD card is fine.
Try a recommended SD card in camera with 240 MHz, if it works then your SD card reader in camera is fine too.

You didn't do anything wrong regarding camera/ML settigns. Try lower frequencies like 160 and 192 MHz, might work with your kingston card.
Anyway, Kingston Canvas Go! cards are not recommended with our current SD Ovreclocking version until someone figure out how to make it work.

names_are_hard

I don't think anyone has mentioned it so far: the reported 20MB/s results are what happens when a card fails to overclock.  The cam drops back to a slow, safe default (this is not ML but the cam / card itself).

With this card, you may get higher benchmark results if you disable all overclocking.

theBilalFakhouri

Yes, that's right. I have mentioned "The cam drops back to a slow, safe default" part in several posts in the past.
Will include it them in first post, it's helpful.

LesV

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on May 01, 2023, 04:49:40 PM
You didn't do anything wrong regarding camera/ML settigns. Try lower frequencies like 160 and 192 MHz, might work with your kingston card.
Anyway, Kingston Canvas Go! cards are not recommended with our current SD Ovreclocking version until someone figure out how to make it work.

Thanks for getting me back. OK, I got it. It's 'good' to know that it's not my or my camera's fault but a 'tough' card's 'fault' that cannot be overclocked.

Right after I sent my previous comment, I tried the card at 192, but got the same result.

The new card however, that I ordered, is on your list, so it should be fine.

Thanks

LesV

Quote from: names_are_hard on May 01, 2023, 04:51:50 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned it so far: the reported 20MB/s results are what happens when a card fails to overclock.  The cam drops back to a slow, safe default (this is not ML but the cam / card itself).

With this card, you may get higher benchmark results if you disable all overclocking.

Ah! Brilliant. I deactivated the module and indeed, now it works better. At least I have the factory potential...

Thanks!

LucasFlores

Hi everyone. I have tested my new Sandisk Extreme Pro, upgraded version - READ 200 and WRITE 140MB/s and I am using the crop_mood.2023May09.700D115 in my 700D camera.
As you can see in the photos below, it's able to perform 95.0 MB/s in photo mode using the 240MHz overclock preset...
benchmark" border="0

but when I try to start recording RAW video using the preset 4.4k, medium, it performs very bad as you can see in the screenshot below. What I am doing wrong? I formatted the card at low-level to see if that is the issue, nothing. Also I tried other presets, the same issue. I tried changing the overclock presets but the results are the same and worse.
recording-speed" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://es.imgbb.com/'>fotos temporales</a>

This is my setup:
my-setup" border="0

This is my card:

Extreme-Pro-spec" border="0
Extreme-Pro-spec-v2" border="0

theBilalFakhouri

@LucasFlores

Interesting, we need to find a better 240 MHz configuration in this case, unfortunately I can't work on it since I don't have an affected SD card.
Your SD card seems fine, our knowledge is still fairly limited about SD registers, as result not all of SD cards will be stable with current 240 MHz.

Have you tried 192 MHz, does it work fine?

I think it could be a good idea to add debug menu in SD Overclock submenu, I can suggest some values for some SD overclocking registers.