'Every Frame a Painting' | Short Travel Film | Canon EOS M 2.8K RAW | Super 16

Started by ZEEK, February 07, 2021, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

Probably the closest I've gotten to making the Eos m look like film. This is why we Shoot Magic Lantern, it brings the best out of these budget Canon cams. 😎🙌🎬🔥

- - Gear Used- -
*Camera - EOS M (Original w/ ML)
*Lens - Canon 17-40 F/4  |  Canon 24-70 f/4  |  Canon 35 F1.4
*Tripod
- - Settings - -
*2.8K RAW 2800x1190 [2.35:1]
* 23.98 FPS, 1/48, WB 5200, ISO 100
- - Editing - -
*All graded in MLV App (ALEXA LOG C Profile w/ Creative Adjustments    enabled, Exported Prores 4444
* Finishing touch in FCPX 8K Timeline & Export (LOL), added little saturation and exposure adjusted, No sharpening at all
EOS M

tupp

Excellent!

Amazing to see the capabilities of the EOSM, ML and MLV app!

Of course, it helps that you have a great eye!

ZEEK

ML is so underrated haha..love this camera. Cheers to the Developers 🤘
I'm pretty sure Location helps as well with the overall look just as much as costumes etc...
Having a good eye is also key 😎👍🎥🔥
EOS M

ZEEK

EOS M

allemyr

Quote from: ZEEK on February 08, 2021, 01:18:18 PM
Yep. 10 bit was enabled for more record time in 2.8K Mode.

Looks good, good grading! It really looks like film. It would be fun to see how it looks on Vimeo, since Youtube dont work well with grain. I imagine it looks great offline.

IDA_ML

Zeek,

Why do you call your film "Super 16 mm"?  As far as I know, this term applies to the 16 mm film width of some older amateur cameras.  I don't see how this is related to your footage that looks like filmed on a professional cinema camera.

I also have another question.  How do you achieve such smooth zooming in and out?  Do you use a motorized gimbal to turn the zoom ring on your lens?

ZEEK

Appreciate it 😎🙌
I call it S16 because of the crop in 2.8K around X3. It has that compressed look.
The zoom was all digital in post haha. But yeah, love this camera and the look it can give. Imagine this 2.8k resolution in aps-c 1.6x crop, would be crazy good.
EOS M

IDA_ML

Quote from: ZEEK on February 08, 2021, 10:08:32 PM
Imagine this 2.8k resolution in aps-c 1.6x crop, would be crazy good.

Oh, you can have that and even much higher 5.2k resolution in the full res anamorphic mode at 16 fps continuous (16:9) in the aps-c 1.6x crop on the EOS-M.  For this type of slow lanscape footage, (barely fast moving objects), 16 fps with 1/32s shutter will do a great job and you will barely notice any difference compared to 24 fps.  For waves, moving water, clouds, moving vegetation, etc. you get fantastic results, for portrait shots too.  All you need to do is use the Optical flow (enhanced faster) option in Resolve and you will get super smooth footage with a beautiful motion blur.  It looks gorgeous on my 30-inch monitor, with excellent fine detail rendering.  I know you have tried that but am not sure what you dislike about it?  I use it all the time for landscape videography and am very happy with the results.  I can't thank Danne enough for implementing this full sensor readout anamorphic mode into the EOS-M.

Here is a video by Masc filmed at 5.7k on the 5DMkIII in its full res anamorphic mode:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25180.0

It confirms my findings too.

ZEEK

Yeah I saw that video, I like it a lot ;)
I haven't seen the 5.2K Option with the EOS M though in 1.6x Crop? If it was this resolution, I probably wouldn't mind for 16fps haha. I do like the Anamorphic modes Danne has implemented though for sure, they're not sharp but they don't have to be. I just get more tempted with the 2.8K Raw.
EOS M

Danne

1x1 pixel is as sharp as it gets. To call anamorphic not sharp isn't true imo. It's smooth, big difference. Anamorphic and 1x1 are the modes I could use for cinematic or even documentary filming. mv1080p is only acceptable on the 5D3 to me. I might consider it for strict home use on my eos m or in a vlog or similar where image quality is secondary.

IDA_ML

Quote from: ZEEK on February 09, 2021, 03:58:54 AM
I haven't seen the 5.2K Option with the EOS M though in 1.6x Crop?

The preset is called "5k anamorphic flv" and allows you to film at 1736x2928/16fps/12bit continuously.   It is a full sensor readout mode meaning that the 1.6x Crop is referenced to the full frame sensor size.  This mode works extremely well with the speed booster giving you only about 1.1x crop w.r.t. full frame - perfect if you like experimenting with fast prime lenses creating beautiful bokeh and shallow depth of field.  In this case, you project the full frame vision onto a 1.6x croped aps-c sensor.  As I said, if I want quality, this is my mode for landscape and portrait videography.  Since there is no aliasing, image quality, even fine detail rendering, is superb - way better than the regular 1736x976/24fps mode. 

For me, there are only two minor downsides of this mode:

1) At 16 fps, camera motion speed needs to be about 30% slower compared to 24 fps, otherwise, if you move the camera too fast, the motion blur becomes too much for a clear image while panning for example.  Usually, this is not a problem if you pan from a tripod with a fluid head or a gimbal.

2) If you film at an extremely wide focal length, in the 10 to 24 mm range, the texture size of your finest detail becomes comparable with the 1x3 horizontal pixel size meaning that your camera will not be able to resolve finest detail at infinity at that resolution.  The effect is perceptible only when 100% pixel peeping or if you watch your video on a very large 4k screen from a close distance, (less than 1 m).  If you use your favorite 18-135 lens and stay above 24 mm, you should be perfectly fine.  My favorite one is the 24-105/F4 L IS for this mode since it is heavy and provides more stability with hand held filming.  Also, if you use this lens on a gimbal with a focus motor, you can achieve very smooth zooming when the focus motor is coupled to the zoom ring.

This anamorphic mode requires some practice, attention and getting used to it but once you learn how to avoid the above drawbacks and get it working the way you want, you will fall in love with it.  Just spend some more time with it and you will see what I mean.

ZEEK

Quote from: Danne on February 09, 2021, 07:27:45 AM
1x1 pixel is as sharp as it gets. To call anamorphic not sharp isn't true imo. It's smooth, big difference. Anamorphic and 1x1 are the modes I could use for cinematic or even documentary filming.
Maybe the eye can be deceiving haha ;D
It's definitely a cinematic mode and I can call it 'reliable', though often sharpness or clarity feels like it needs to be added in post for the Anamorphic modes, in comparison to say 2.5k/2.8k 1:1 where I don't have to. I'll spend more time with the anamorphic mode as I don't mind the 2x crop and it has a reliable record time.
EOS M

ZEEK

Quote from: IDA_ML on February 09, 2021, 09:00:50 AM
The preset is called "5k anamorphic flv" and allows you to film at 1736x2928/16fps/12bit continuously.   It is a full sensor readout mode meaning that the 1.6x Crop is referenced to the full frame sensor size.  This mode works extremely well with the speed booster giving you only about 1.1x crop w.r.t. full frame - perfect if you like experimenting with fast prime lenses creating beautiful bokeh and shallow depth of field.  In this case, you project the full frame vision onto a 1.6x croped aps-c sensor.  As I said, if I want quality, this is my mode for landscape and portrait videography.  Since there is no aliasing, image quality, even fine detail rendering, is superb - way better than the regular 1736x976/24fps mode. 
Thanks for sharing, I'll try to spend more time with this mode and see what I can pull out of the hat ;)
EOS M

ilia3101

Very very nice looking footage. How did you add the grain? Also did you use the MLV app film effect thing? Or a lut?

ZEEK

Quote from: ilia3101 on February 09, 2021, 03:42:54 PM
How did you add the grain? Also did you use the MLV app film effect thing? Or a lut?
Thank you ;) I added the grain in FCPX that comes with it pre-loaded. I was surprised how well it worked. Yes from memory I did use the MLV App Film Effect loader. I used the Kodak Vis 3 one and set it to about 20%
I used the Alexa LOG C Profile and then enabled Creative Adjustments to bring the LOG Look to Rec 709.
EOS M

tominator_66

Hey Zeek,

Could you post the receipt you used in MLVApp for reference please.

Cheers,

TK