Hollyland Mars X help

Started by garry23, February 01, 2021, 06:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

I've just got myself a Hollyland Mars X HDMI wireless transmitter to use with my photography, ie not videography, ie as an experiment, having convinced myself it will work.

https://www.hollyland-tech.com/products/detail-39.html

The use case is mainly with my 5D3 and composing the scene and controlling the camera, Canon and ML side, when the camera is low, on the ground or LV is not easily viewable. All the time using my iPad or iPhone as a wireless monitor, ie rather than the  camera's LV.

After a few hours playing with it, it does indeed seem to work on the 5D3, and I'll write up and report on my experiences as soon as I can.

The device connects at 1080p24, ie as shown on the Mars X unit.

My problem is I can't seem to get the EOS M to be recognised by the Mars X unit.

I've tried forcing HDMI in ML, ie on and off, and I've set the EOS M to 24 FPS.

Remember I'm in photo mode in this use case.

Can any of the video gurus suggest what I might be doing wrong, ie so that the Mars X works on the 5D3 but not the EOS M. 

Maybe, sadly, it simply doesn't work with the EOS M :-(

Cheers

Garry

Danne

Did you test ml uninstalled? Is you hdmi out confirmed working otherwise? Maybe broken?

Walter Schulz

Yes, what Danne said/wrote: Are you able to connect EOS M to another HDMI device (monitor, TV)?

garry23

Sorry, been doing a bit of testing.

Tried 5D3 with two different cables to connect Cam to the Max X unit. 

Max X connects at 1080p24.

Tried cables on my EOS M to a monitor, and the HDMI out of the cam comes through ok, with or without ML being loaded, ie SET pressed at start up.

garry23

Bhphotovideo site says this

QuoteCompatible cameras include the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 6D Mark II, EOS RP, and Canon pro camcorders and consumer camcorders; Sony a6600 series, a7 series, and a9 series cameras; Panasonic Lumix mirrorless cameras; FUJIFILM X series mirrorless cameras; and Nikon Z series mirrorless cameras. Note that the Mars X Transmitter is not compatible with cameras that record only interlaced video, such as the Canon 6D, 60D, 5D2, 80D, and 90D.

Walter Schulz

Huh? The 5D3 does 1080p30 via HDMI and not 1080i60?

garry23

The Mars X says it is connecting at 1080p24 on the 5D3 and all is OK :-)

It's that little EOSM bugger that's annoying me ;-(

garry23

Can someone in the know confirm that the HDMI out on the EOS M is p rather than i

I've looked in the manual and all it says is 1080.

Thanks in anticipation.

garry23

Ok, I've convinced myself that, like some other Canon cams, the EOSM's HDMI output is interlaced and not progressive like, say, the 5D3.

Damn!