[SOLVED] Beginner. Impossible to expose correctly - EOS M with kit lens 18-55

Started by crzor, February 01, 2021, 12:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crzor

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to magic lantern but it's a great project and I'm pretty excited. So i got an EOS M with the kit lens.

But: my footage is always a noisy mess.

The histogram shows me exposure levels between 3 and 4, no matter the lighting conditions.

shooting in 2.5k or 2.8k RAW
ISO is set to 100, aperture to 3.5, shutter to 48 or 50.
if i play around with any of those the E value changes but it never drops below 1 and if it does it's for like a second.

I disabled everything in the canon menu i could think of. It's set to manual exposure ofc.

What's happening and how can i fix it? :(

I hope I'm in the right subforum...

Danne

It would help if you upload a mlv sample file to examine.
I would do tests where you are exposing to the right(ETTR) regardless of what histogram says and see if that helps. But most important if you want some proper analyzing we need mlv samples.

tupp

It sounds as if an automatic setting is enabled somewhere.

If you are certain that your aperture and shutter speed settings are fully manual, then it is likely that the gain/iso is somehow changing.

Is ML "Auto ETTR" enabled?  Do you get the same behavior when ML is disabled?

In addition to footage, can you post a picture of the Canon <INFO> "Quick Control" screen?  Can you also post a photo of the ML "Modified" menu?

crzor

First of all, thank you for the replies. I THINK i might have found the problem:

my working theory is that my aperture readings were completely off. i now opened it up completely, unscrewed the lens, reattached it while open and while the camera was on and it might have solved the issue. i also completely reset everything, including the canon firmware so that might have also helped. not sure. maybe actually user error and i still had some automation. but i doubt it.

maybe a bug with the lens or its readout in ML? i have no idea how i would recreate the issue, since my settings are the exact same as before.

i'm gonna go out today and capture some stuff. maybe it'll work now. we'll see. gonna get back to you if it's still bad.

but really, thank you for the quick replies. i think i'm gonna be happy here :D

EDIT: yes, everything is tip top now. very nice. Magic Lantern is awesome.