ArcziPL's crop_rec_4k experiments for 70D

Started by ArcziPL, March 07, 2019, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicenzzopaiva

Hello guys, nice to see the 70D thread's still active.
The 07/mar/19 build is working better than the 15/mar/19? What's not working?
EOS M - 2.0.2 - Danne's feb21 build
70D    - 1.1.2 - ArcziPL's mar19 build

ArcziPL

15 March is like 7 March but additionally the FPS override function is available (usable but with a small glitch).
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

ArcziPL

It's a pity I missed THIS 2 years ago but a1ex is right: focus stacking & related features do work on the lua_fix branch for 70D, just need to be enabled.

Better late than never but this cam really deserves more love and a better maintainer (porting crop_rec presets...). ;)

Please read first post in this topic for more info. Also here the download link:

https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/downloads/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2021Mar01.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_focus_stack_sduhs.zip

I reverted also the FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_* addresses to the standard from 4k_crop_rec branch because I don't know what I'm doing here and how to test. Further read on this feature: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg213436#msg213436
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

EphimAO

Quote from: ArcziPL on March 02, 2021, 12:12:45 AM
It's a pity I missed THIS 2 years ago but a1ex is right: focus stacking & related features do work on the lua_fix branch for 70D, just need to be enabled.

Better late than never but this cam really deserves more love and a better maintainer (porting crop_rec presets...). ;)

Please read first post in this topic for more info. Also here the download link:

https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/downloads/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2021Mar01.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_focus_stack_sduhs.zip

I reverted also the FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_* addresses to the standard from 4k_crop_rec branch because I don't know what I'm doing here and how to test. Further read on this feature: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg213436#msg213436
thx for the build!!1
70d / 2021 build / moza air 2 / rode videomic go

vicenzzopaiva

REALLY great seeing updates here!
I'll repeat what i posted on the official 70D topic:
I have one 70D and one EOS M right now, if developers (hello ArcziPL) want to test anything, can count on me.

—-
edit: just adding a little request here, if possible: is it possible to add the option to choose if pressing SET will skip or load ML? I find myself using the 70D more like a photo camera and not using the ML that much, so would be great not having to press SET every time i turn the camera on, only when i need ML to boot up.
EOS M - 2.0.2 - Danne's feb21 build
70D    - 1.1.2 - ArcziPL's mar19 build

vastunghia

ArcziPL,

cannot thank you enough for your work!

Tried the 1mar21 build and love it. Only weird thing is, 160 MHz overclock does not seem to work. Not a big deal, but I thought I would report it here.

Here are my tests (write/read figures in MBps):

BuildPresetPLAY-PHMV-1080
anyNo overclock42/4439/40
15mar19160 MHz67/7257/60
1mar21160 MHz21/2221/21
1mar21192 MHz78/8667/70
1mar21240 MHz90/10776/84

Using this card: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01J5RH06K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_YGG81KDGVTB2F6WDW6WZ.

Ciao,

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

ArcziPL

Thanks for testing and reporting!

Do you really have the 95MB/s version like on the photo on Amazon? So far it was reported, that only the newer one, labeled with 170MB/s, works with the 240MHz preset. And my 95 and 170 follow this rule. But it could be batch dependent.

ainu

ArcziPL, thanks for build with sd module.
My Kingston uhs-i u3 64gb card (https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-64GB-UHS-I-SDA3/dp/B00I3BQJNA) works only with 240 mhz preset. In other presets write speed 21mb/s.
240mhz - Playh-ph write speed about 85-90 mb/s, movie-1080 mode write speea about 78-85 mb/s, but speed mode unstable between turn camera on/off (i.e. start write raw video after turn on - ok, speed 50-80mb. start write another movie - speed drop to 21mb. Result of Sd cart test 95% of try: first write at high speed, first read and write,read - speed drop 21mb. Turn camera off/on and get chance ??% to get 21mb speet until turn off).
70D.112
Excuse for my English.

ArcziPL

Thanks! I confirm the 160MHz to not work on my 70D with SanDisk ExtremePro 64GB 95MB/s.

The sd_uhs module in 2021Mar01 build is directly the module from this topic from theBilalFakhouri, which is tailored for 700D. I did a bad job not testing the 160MHz preset with 70D at all. I checked only the new ones: 192 and 250MHz, confirming both working with SanDisk ExtremePro "170MB/s" and only 192MHz working with the older "95MB/s" version of the card. Benchmarks shown similar results like vastunghia reported above. I don't know how stable they are during recording, as I don't use my 70D anymore. Would be nice if also others could report about the stability!

Great that Bilal published his code, so I could prepare a build with his great code as base but with registers of 160MHz preset reverted to
static uint32_t sdr_160MHz[] = {0x2, 0x3, 0x1, 0x1D000001, 0x0, 0x100, 0x100, 0x100, 0x1 };   /* overclocked values: 160MHz = 96*(4+1)/(2?+1) (found by brute-forcing) */

Here the new sd_uhs module only:
https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/downloads/downloads/sd_uhs.mo

And here a full vanilla ML build with this module already included. The rest stays untouched from 1mar21:
https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/downloads/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2021Apr04.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_focus_stack_sduhs.zip

ainu

ArcziPL, thank you very much for the module.
On my card, the 160 MHz mode works very stable: I can switch photos and video mode, record videos and speed remains high.
At 160 MHz in movie-1080 mode, the recording speed is 48-58mb/s, in play-unk lcd mode, the recording speed is 65-71 mb/s.
192 MHz mode does not work.
The 240 MHz mode works as unstable (as I described earlier): the write/read speed changes directly during the reading process from 0 to 100 (the numbers change slowly).
70D.112
Excuse for my English.

ArcziPL

We've all had best experience with SanDisk Extreme Pro "170 MB/s version" so far. If you want trying higher speeds, grab such one. Be careful, stick to reliable sources to avoid fake cards.

vastunghia

Quote from: ArcziPL on April 01, 2021, 03:37:27 PM
Do you really have the 95MB/s version like on the photo on Amazon?

Yes I do, the only difference being that mine was a refurbished model, so it has a 'REFURB' label on it. Could this mean that originally it was a 170 and it was mis-labelled as a 95 during refurbishment? Heaven knows.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the updated module! Oddly, at 160 MHz now I get good readings (67 w / 72 r) in PLAY-PH mode, but as soon as I switch to movie mode and start benchmarking in MV-1080, speed drops to 20. And then it stays there, i.e. even getting back to PLAY-PH mode will result in 20 MBps.

Oh, well. 192 and 240 presets seem to work fine, even though I still haven't had a real chance to do thorough testing. So bye bye 160. Just hope my new favorite preset (240) will not fry my card ;D

Ciao

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

ArcziPL

Hmm, 160MHz preset jumping back to 20MB/s can be reproduced with my card as well... Just randomly, in benchmark in MV1080. Maybe it's possible to find a more stable 160MHz preset. I wonder why I was able to record hours with exactly (? there was one parameter more in a1ex code) these registers' values with the build from 2019. Needs some debugging. Don't hold your breath, no time at the moment.

mynamesriz

Hi All,
I think this is my first time posting here, I've searched high and low but can't seem to find a resolution for my issue so hope someone here can help please?

I had sd_uhs.mo on the latest build working great for about a week on my 70D with a sandisk 170MB's extreme Pro SD card, but now for some reason the sd_uhs module has stopped working in MV1080 mode.

Benchmarks in MV1080 mode are as follows:
160MHz = = W/20.2MB/s R/21.1MB/s
192MHz = W/20.3MB/s R/21.2MB/s
240MHz = W/20.5MB/s R/21.2MB/s

Actual video recording bitrates reflect the above too.

play-mv LCD mode:
160Mhz = W/66.2MB/s R72.0MB/s
192Mhz = W/77.6MB/s R/86.0MB/s
240MHz = W/91.3MB/s R/106.6MB/s

Benchmarks without the module loaded hover around the 40MB/s mark.

There is a red dot next to memory patches in the debug menu, I don't know if this means anything?

I've reloaded ML several times now, formatted the SD card too. I've also tried with a second identical card to no avail...

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Thanks in advance!

P.S ArcziPL, Is your source available please? I would love to have a play and contribute if possible?

Many thanks

mynamesriz

Just an update from my previous post, sd_uhs seems to be working with the march2019 build so will stick with that for the time being while I try to figure out how to play around with the code, the one thing that baffles me is that it was working, very strange!

I managed to get my dev environment set up on a laptop I have running Ubuntu 20.04 already, I think I'll try to document this process as all the how-to's on the forum are a bit out of date. I also managed to get a compiled ML running in Qemu using my ROM dumps :)

ainu

Hi.
Tell me please the exposure log setting (that create mvi_1123.log file) in movie tweaks should work with raw video on?
When I shoot normal video (raw off) with log setting on - file creates.
70D.112
Excuse for my English.

theBilalFakhouri

Hi @ArcziPL

Could you share the source code for your 70D's build?

elenhil

elenhil

To whom it might concern: Bilal (he of the 650D/700D fame) had expressed his interest in working on the 70D build, but lack the camera itself: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25784.msg236046#msg236046

BASTART

Hi guys. Why this version: magiclantern-Nightly.2021Apr04.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_focus_stack_sduhs.zip writes "audio stop to failed" when I use "mlv_rec"

OrakMoya

When recording with crop mode and some higher resolution the camera doesn't record the center of the sensor but somewhere to the side. Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/sDEA7n2
I noticed I can shift the place it records by changing the zoom area but only up/down. When changing it left and right it kinda snaps to one of the edges of the sensor and never goes through the middle.

sonicvision

I had a 60D since I got it new in 2011 but never did much with ML on it until a few weeks ago thought I would try it out and realized one could shoot RAW, but I couldn't get more than a few seconds of RAW before it stopped. Also, there was the (lack of) auto focus.... so, I was able to trade up to the (3 year) newer 70D, and after past week of trying some ML builds, reading things on forum and here, I am happy to report that the in development ArcziPL's crop_rec_4k experiments for 70D (magiclantern.fm from March 2021 appears to be working for me. I haven't shot seriously yet, but with this build I do find I can record at least over 1 minute continuous, as 1280 res, 12 Bit RAW using SanDisk Extreme 200mbps (ML Benchmarks r/w just over 40mbps). The only issue with this build I seem to notice is when in the ML menus, they jump between ML and Canon (I have seen this reported by at least one other 70D user in forum (with video showing it). Even with that issue, I am very happy with this build on my 70D! Thank you for this work.

elenhil

Quote from: sonicvision on September 05, 2023, 09:05:19 PM
I had a 60D since I got it new in 2011 but never did much with ML on it until a few weeks ago thought I would try it out and realized one could shoot RAW, but I couldn't get more than a few seconds of RAW before it stopped. Also, there was the (lack of) auto focus.... so, I was able to trade up to the (3 year) newer 70D, and after past week of trying some ML builds, reading things on forum and here, I am happy to report that the in development ArcziPL's crop_rec_4k experiments for 70D (magiclantern.fm from March 2021 appears to be working for me. I haven't shot seriously yet, but with this build I do find I can record at least over 1 minute continuous, as 1280 res, 12 Bit RAW using SanDisk Extreme 200mbps (ML Benchmarks r/w just over 40mbps). The only issue with this build I seem to notice is when in the ML menus, they jump between ML and Canon (I have seen this reported by at least one other 70D user in forum (with video showing it). Even with that issue, I am very happy with this build on my 70D! Thank you for this work.
Do try SD overclocking, you will get twice the speed.

kytai90

Hi, As I read from other thread, I see it's able to use the SD hack module form Eos-m Crop mood build  to Canon 70d, isn't it? Can I just place the .mo file in my canon 70d SD card ML folder?
Does it work that way?
Also can I replace High FPS module from M to Canon 70d to get 48fps 3x3 at full hd resolution.

I think about trying , but I want to ask before that cause might it damage the cam??

Walter Schulz

Quote from: kytai90 on October 05, 2023, 11:43:08 AM
it? Can I just place the .mo file in my canon 70d SD card ML folder?

Use thsi one:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25841.0

Quote from: kytai90 on October 05, 2023, 11:43:08 AM
Also can I replace High FPS module from M to Canon 70d to get 48fps 3x3 at full hd resolution.

Nope