ArcziPL's crop_rec_4k experiments for 70D

Started by ArcziPL, March 07, 2019, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nieller

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 04, 2020, 07:12:58 PM
He is using lossless compression mode.

Sorry bout fullquoting.

And sorry i yelled out. I could have just read the past 10 or so pages. Found out my sdcard is limited to 38MB/s write speed, so the ML sd-overclock module has absolutely no effect on my cameras ability to shoot longer videos in @1832x1024 16:9 24fps. I get around 60MB/s read speed, so guess i'll have to try a card with faster write speed. 

Thanks all for the great work - putting a new glare in my old 70D

Cheers!

/NC

vastunghia

Ciao,

using March 19 ArcziPL build here. Very happy with it, thank you!

I seem unable to use the intervalometer correctly. My fault, most likely.

The issue is that, after the first shot, it changes my Tv. Example below.

Initial settings:

• Lens: Sigma 18-35 F1.8 @35
  • M mode
  • Av f/4
  • Tv 1/250
  • ISO 100
  • Take a pic every: 1s
  • Start after: 30s
  • Stop after: 15 shots

Don't remember exactly whether I left Live View on or off, but I think it was on.

So the first shot had correct parameters, then the following 14 shots had a Tv of 1/2000.

Am I doing something wrong?

(And should I post this question in an intervalometer-specific thread, if any?)

Thanks a lot in advance

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Walter Schulz

vastunghia

Thank you Walter!

beta.warn = 19
menu.first = -5
lv.peak = 1
bv.av = 32
bv.tv = 101
interval.stop.after = 15
interval.start.time = 30
interval.time = 1
hdr.ev_spacing = 8
hdr.frames = 5
battery.drain.rate.rev = 9
focus.peaking = 1
zoom.overlay = 1
disp.mode.x = 967

Ciao

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

vastunghia

I had a sort of an enlightenment: could this be the Auto ETTR (I set its trigger to double Half Shutter) being triggered by the intervalometer?

This would explain why exposure time was lowered — I was trying to over expose originally.

S
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Walter Schulz

Yes, that's the culprit: Both features use half-shutter to be triggered. See https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#intervalometer

vastunghia

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Btw I put together a short, little tribute to ML. Please find it here:

Thank you to the ML community!

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

vga256

Nice work Sergio, and great demonstration of the raw capabilities. Still loving my 70D, although I'm shooting less these days. I've got the same Sigma 18-35 lens - what a fantastic lens for this camera.

What resolution and bit depth are you shooting at? I've been pushing my camera pretty hard at 12 and 14-bit, but it's tough to maintain recording times of more than 30 seconds.

vastunghia

Ciao vga256,

thanks for the feedback!

I'm constantly shooting 1832 x 1024, 14-bit lossless, with FPS override @24 fps (resulting in 23.971 or 23.984 fps, heaven knows why).

For most scenes, this results in continuous shooting for me. In very extreme circumstances, where I have a very very wide dynamic range, I have to turn SD overclock on via the sd_uhs module. With SD overclock activated, in my personal (and limited) experience I have seldom encountered full buffer and abrupt stop in the recording. But still, of course, it may happen, depending on the scene.

Another consideration: I love the Sigma 18-35, although I use it more for stills. For video, after some time (and money) spent trying other (not-too-expensive) glass, I must admit that I find the good old 18-135 IS STM kit lens nearly unbeatable. Its focus accuracy and speed is unbelievable when coupled with the 70's dual pixel AF, its motor is the most silent I've experienced, and it has IS, which is a game changer for video. With it, I shoot constantly at f/5.6, which (apart from providing a nice intermediate focus depth for most circumstances) I find to be the strong spot for this lens (also as confirmed by dxomark tests, see here: https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Canon/Canon-EF-S-18-135mm-F35-56-IS-STM-mounted-on-Canon-EOS-70D---Measurements__895, particularly for sharpness), with a 3-stop (ND8) ND filter that allows me to have a proper ETTR setting with a ~180° rolling shutter (1/50s shutter speed) in most situations (I may need to stop it down to f/8 with very bright subjects in direct sunlight). I find that its structural lack of sharpness is negligible when shooting video @ 1832 x 1024, while of course other weaknesses, such as chroma aberration, vignetting etc can be corrected during post-prod if you shoot Raw. Would love to hear any comments on this.

Happy (Raw) shooting!

Sergio

Ps: I also tried resolutions higher than 1832 x 1024 via the 5X zoom trick, but I really find it hard to consider this option as anything other than a technological capability demo. I used it to shoot some portraits of very distant neighbors chilling out on their home balcony during peak COVID stay-at-home lockdown past spring, and the 5X zoom was exactly what I needed. But apart from that specific situation, I wish somebody explained me how to use this feature in real life.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

drmoreau

I managed to find a March 15 2019 build that has crop_rec and the SD overclock stuff. Found a video where a guy was shooting well over 1920 horizontal resolution, but mine refuses to let me set it higher than 1824x764. Why is that?

Walter Schulz

Press magnify/loupe button to access "5x view" aka crop mode. 

vastunghia

Ciao,

a few days ago I shot some short scenes with the following settings:

• 14-bit lossless Raw video enabled (for some clips @1832x1024, for some other @1920x1080 via 5x zoom)
  • FPS override @24 fps (Low Jello, 180d)
  • SD overclocking enabled
Everything seemed fine, as always; however, for one particular clip (2266 frames @1920x1080), I see

• MLVFS reporting an fps of 29.986 (instead of something in the range 23.971- 23.989 as expected, and as obtained for the other MLV's)
  • consequently, a reported duration of 2266 / 29.986 = 75 seconds
  • an audio file lasting exactly 75 seconds
By syncing audio and video (also with the help of a second audio track I captured with an external mic), I can tell for sure that the clip is ~24 fps actually (as expected). So the weird thing seems to be that

• the fps determined by ML is inconsistent (~30 reported instead of actual value of ~24, as set using FPS override)
  • the audio file was somehow truncated early by ML to make its duration consistent with the wrong, higher-than-actual fps
Luckily enough, as I mentioned, I was also recording via an external mic, so I did not lost the last 19 seconds of audio (= difference between 2266 frames divided by 30 and same frame count divided by 24).

Anybody else experiencing this strange behavior? Do you think I might be doing something wrong?

Should your answer be 'no' to both questions, please take this as an advice to always use an external mic when shooting Raw, if you care about your audio track.

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

williamh695

I tested with a fresh SD card and recorded 20 or so videos and about half had audio issues.
I normally dont shoot video but just started for something im working on. I tested again with another card and none had issues.
Im going to do some more testing since I have a few cards but no more time today to record. Ill update with how it goes.
Canon 70D

CanonUser

Does anyone have the link to the March 19 ArcziPL build? The one in bitbucket seems to be unavailable. I would love to try out this build after reading Sergio's positive experience. Thanks.

LeandroFreitas

I can find this one magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental.zip
from https://web.archive.org/web/20200621151421/https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/magic-lantern/downloads/
direkt link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200621151436/https://bbuseruploads.s3.amazonaws.com/3f5144c4-ac62-40a5-9661-de9d52f6bf3c/downloads/01448683-ef3b-442b-9831-6ee2c668416e/magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental.zip?Signature=qh8m4nVuigUnnAJ0cJjmzT0GjiE%3D&Expires=1592754276&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIA6KOSE3BNJRRFUUX6&versionId=D_W7frtkveuNaUux149vjL8R1ZyWIuM4&response-content-disposition=attachment%3B%20filename%3D%22magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental.zip%22

coldcloud

Tks for the links but its still down, is anyone could give me a new link?

CanonUser

Thank you LeandroFreitas for the links. I downloaded and tried out the build, it worked wonderfully. I was able to record at 1832 x 1024, 14 bit lossless for unlimited time. I used the same settings as suggested by Sergio. I have found new life for my 70D.

coldcloud

Balive

Hey guys, does anyone know if Dual ISO is working in photo or video with the March 19 ArcziPL build?

ShootMeAlready

Sergio in response to
"I also tried resolutions higher than 1832 x 1024 via the 5X zoom trick, but I really find it hard to consider this option as anything other than a technological capability demo. I used it to shoot some portraits of very distant neighbors chilling out on their home balcony during peak COVID stay-at-home lockdown past spring, and the 5X zoom was exactly what I needed. But apart from that specific situation, I wish somebody explained me how to use this feature in real life."

The answer that your are looking for is the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 lens (I recall there is a newer version which goes to 11-20mm f2.8 ) .
5X trick means you have 55 - 80mm, which is very good and has a decent image quality.  And dont forget the 3X mode as well, as that gets you 33-48mm.  So if you think about it, the one lens gets you 11-16, 33-48, and 55-80, all at f2.8 wide open.  And the kicker is the lens is parafocal, so its zooming while limited in range, is done right.
Personally I really love the Sigma 18-35mm on my 70D, which is my wide angle lens of choice, I would shoot it wide open at night.  The canon 28m f1.8, stepped up to f2.8 is rather good as well.  The secret sauce, is that you really shoot fixed focal length most of the time for video.  To really use the tracking for moving objects, you generally want a wide focal length, that keeps your subject in frame with some buffer (crop in post), so again its either the Tokina 11-16mm or the Sigma 18-35mm for excellent tracking.  Recall the 5X and 3X modes dont support the AF subject tracking, so in general your limited at the 1832 barrier.  I think the f5.6 canon zooms, are good for daylight or well lit night shots.  Another truth with video, is that its ok to shoot your subject in partial darkness, or silhouette, as you only occasionally need to see their face. Photographers are the ones who have to get max. detail in one shot, so use your f5.6 lens at night as long as your subject periodically is well lit, it can workout fine.

Oh yes, with the 5X, and 3X tricks, the Sigma lens gets you, 18-35, 54-105, and 90-175mm, all at f1.8 wide open, the lens is not perfectly parafocal but its very good, especially if you use the AF tracking while zooming (centre spot focus for 5X and 3X while zooming will allow AF to work). 
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

deusexe

Hi, I installed the last "official" version for the first time (https://builds.magiclantern.fm/70D-112.html) I have a SanDisk SDXC U3 10 95MB/s card. It shows me around 40MB/s while recording. The problem is that I can't record for more than 7 seconds and set a resolution higher than 1920. I don't have Bit Depth tabs. Can you tell which version will be the best? And how to reinstall? Do you want to remove the current firmware first? And install another on stock? I downloaded: Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental.zip Can I just replace all the files on the card?

Walter Schulz

Delete ML folder, delete autoexec.bin and copy extracted build content to card. Overwrite ML-SETUP.FIR or not, it doesn't matter because they are the same.

BTW: ML is not firmware, it is a firmware add-on. Running on your cam very similiar to an application on your PC or smartphone.

deusexe

Thanks for your help, but this firmware add-on does not work for me, the menu does not flash every now and then, I managed to record a maximum of 10 seconds in 1920 10bit. Dual-ISO also seems to work incorrectly because it flashes all the time when recording 100 ISO 1sec and 1600 ISO 1 sec and so on. And after two attempts it burst with errors and no rec module wanted to load :( I uninstall ML as for me it does not exist for the Canon 70D. It's a pity, because when I bought it about 5 years ago, mainly with working ML in mind. PS. sorry for my english I use google translator.

yokashin

You may have sd_uhs disabled. He is responsible for overclocking the sd card driver. I have a 70d myself and later I can see what it looks like for me.

Look here:

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on May 21, 2019, 03:54:01 PM
Sounds like you need to engage the overclocking.
- Select ML raw video modules, sd_uhs, and crop (the crop was disabled but I selected it anyways ... superstitious) 
- Select ML raw resoultion 2560 at 2.35.1 aspect, with framing
- in  ML turn global off
- in ML, Sd overclock at 160 MB/s, need to override the warning
- go back check your resolution message, it should be green (or flicker from red to green, I did not always see solid green)
If not reselect the overclock,
- In liveview, on Q menu select 24 fps, ensure AF is not set to facial tracking, I suggest single box
- In liveview, on what is by default the * button on back hit until 5X
- Press liveview, and it may go red, yellow, green, but after about 30s the red disappears.

When you are pre-focus the half-shutter press effects focus/liveview update (play with it)

Hope this helps
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

deusexe

I uninstalled ML completely. I installed ver. magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar07.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless, I turned off face tracking and AF beep and so far it works! :)