ArcziPL's crop_rec_4k experiments for 70D

Started by ArcziPL, March 07, 2019, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotofei

Is it ok to use this installation method :  https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3628812?page=3       ?
I had the same problem. It took me a while to figure out that there are two ways to install dual iso. The second option is downloading another software called Eoscard. It makes any SD or CF card bootable. I took the second option. The steps are as follows:
1. Download Eoscard from here.
2. Unzip it.
3. Download the nightly build (ML and autoexe.bin files) and unzip it. Transfer both files (ML and autoexe.bin) to the root of the memory card (already formatted in camera).
4. Click on Eoscard (memory card still connected to computer). Its interface will open and it will immediately recognize the memory card. Screenshot of the interface is here.
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/EOScard
Make sure that only Bootdisk is checked as in the screenshot. Click Refresh. That's it, your memory card is now bootable. You won't have to go through firmware update process. Take the card out of your computer and put it in the camera. You are good to go.

And what should I use - last nightly build or archive from the start msg of this topic? I mean:
nikfreak-magic-lantern-0e6493e8ac5e.zip
or
magiclantern-Nightly.2018Dec24.70D112.zip
It seems that the second one is newer (2018-04-30 vs 2018-12-24)

tnx ahead

PS hmm.. may be from here? But which archive should I use?
https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/magic-lantern/downloads/
Looks like @ArcziPL has a test build on his downloads page
Canon EOS 70D (1.1.2)
Nightly.2018Dec24.70D112

Walter Schulz

Today EOScard's role is mostly reduced to unbrick (semi)-bricked cams after panicking owners formatted their cards prematurely.

Go to top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds
and follow installation instructions.

berechiah

hey all

just got a 70d

hoping if someone could help
is there a safe build that i can dowload to lossless video with sound

i looked an am not totaly sure

yokashin

Quote from: berechiah on October 27, 2019, 11:29:44 PM
hey all

just got a 70d

hoping if someone could help
is there a safe build that i can dowload to lossless video with sound

i looked an am not totaly sure

70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

berechiah

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it

Sonoaux

Hi,

I am having difficulty recording a resolution above 1864 x 1048 resolution.

My setup consisted of:
Install magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental
Sandisk 170MB card
Fresh install and disabled global draw
Enabled sd_uhs and lua script and then restarted camera
Ran SD overclock which reported 50MB max write
Enabled crop rec + mlv_lite/play/rec and restarted camera again
Set camera to 3x

The 1864 res worked great at various aspect ratios for various lengths of time but I can not go above it.
"2240 is not possible in current video mode"
I have read back to last March in this thread a number of times and can't see a solution.
Am I missing something needed to achieve the 2.5k?

Thanks, Joe

Francois_lune

Hi there,

Does anyone know if any version of ML allows to have the Liveview working with accurate framing while shooting RAW video on the 70D? Even in grayscale?
I have tried many different Builds without success until now, the liveview is always frozen if in 'framing' mode as soon as the record start
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

12georgiadis

Hi everyone !
I read a lot of pages to know what are the updates for 70D and I'm not sure to understand exactly what is actually working.
From what I understood, we can have 1832*1024, 23,98 continuous in 12 bits lossless right ? Does DPAF works with these settings ?
Is it stable ? Does a VAF-7D also works with DPAF ?
Thanks

ArcziPL

Quote from: 12georgiadis on December 30, 2019, 04:35:46 PM
From what I understood, we can have 1832*1024, 23,98 continuous in 12 bits lossless right ?
I was personally always recording 25 fps so far but 23,98 is just a setting from the Canon menu, which should work same good. So: yes.

Quote from: 12georgiadis on December 30, 2019, 04:35:46 PMDoes DPAF works with these settings ?
Yes.

Quote from: 12georgiadis on December 30, 2019, 04:35:46 PMIs it stable ?
From my experience: yes.

Quote from: 12georgiadis on December 30, 2019, 04:35:46 PMDoes a VAF-7D also works with DPAF ?
Never had one but I expect: yes. VAF only blurrs the image. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't see any reason why it should interfere with DPAF.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

12georgiadis

Quote from: ArcziPL on January 05, 2020, 06:29:44 PM
I was personally always recording 25 fps so far but 23,98 is just a setting from the Canon menu, which should work same good. So: yes.
Yes.
From my experience: yes.
Never had one but I expect: yes. VAF only blurrs the image. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't see any reason why it should interfere with DPAF.
Thank you ArcziPL, that's surprising that this camera has not so much popularity because it seems by far the best APS-C camera because of DPAF.
I'm gonna switch from my 7D to the 70D now.

vastunghia

I'm sorry, I know this is most likely a silly question, but I have been going through several pages of this Forum history, to no avail...

What is exactly limiting the RAW recording to 1832*1024 at this stage? At first I thought it was write speed, but since changing the recording mode (14/12/10 bit, uncompressed, lossless etc) does not change anything (does it?), I guess this is not it?

Apart from this, I am happily RAW-recording using arczipl's build (magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar07.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless). Thanks to all of ML community for the incredible work!

Sergio

Ps: what am I missing from the magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental build?
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Walter Schulz

Press loupe/magnify button to access "crop mode" for higher resolutions.

vastunghia

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 21, 2020, 01:02:39 PM
Press loupe/magnify button to access "crop mode" for higher resolutions.

Nice and easy, thanks a lot. I thought I needed to use Canon's built-in 3x zoom.

Using ML crop mode as you suggested, instead, I get 5x and 10x (this one for focusing I guess) -- is it the way it is supposed to be?

And, once again, what is exactly limiting the RAW recording to 1832*1024 at 1x? Just for my understanding.

Thanks

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Walter Schulz

Quote from: vastunghia on January 23, 2020, 01:47:31 PM
Nice and easy, thanks a lot. I thought I needed to use Canon's built-in 3x zoom.

If your cam has an "Movie Crop Mode" entry in Movie tab you can use this option, too.H

Quote from: vastunghia on January 23, 2020, 01:47:31 PM
And, once again, what is exactly limiting the RAW recording to 1832*1024 at 1x? Just for my understanding.

Like most ML supported cams 70D uses "line skipping" in H.264 and uncropped RAW/MLV recording where only every third sensor line is processed. Lookup terms "native resolution", "line skipping".

vga256

I've been lurking in this thread for the past two years, and just want to thank the ML community for keeping the 70D alive.

After shooting raw video for the past couple of years on my 70D, I've got hours and hours of footage - enough that the 70D has become my daily driver for commercial videography. I've had a hard time finding a better alternative at the same price point so far. The learning curve was a bit steep for understanding the majority of the settings, but it has paid off handsomely with the rich colour I get out of the camera.

Some things I've noticed over the years:
- I shoot 14 bit lossless @ 1832x1024 16:9 24 fps continuous for the most part. The buffer usually hovers *very* close to full, but I can usually get away with continuous recording. For bright and visually complex scenes, sometimes it does overrun the buffer and I need to start recording again.
- For sensitive moments like interviews where I can't afford to miss a few seconds due to buffer overflow, I drop the camera down to 12 bit lossless. Perfect continuous recording there without the risk of buffer overrun.
- Running the camera in full Manual mode is critical for getting good images out of it. I set the shutter speed at 2x the framerate: so in my case, that's 24 fps with a shutter speed of 1/48.19
- I run with Global Draw off. I found the extra information useful, but ultimately distracting while I'm filming.

Not much new here, but I just wanted to share for anyone looking to try out ML on their 70D. Without it, I basically wouldn't have a film career. Much appreciated everyone :)

lojzik

What is suggested/best build for 70D? We have nightly build, 3 experimental builds, somewhere some custom builds ... Is there some list of builds for 70D with some notes, differences, urls,..?
70D.112

yokashin

Quote from: lojzik on February 03, 2020, 06:34:45 AM
What is suggested/best build for 70D? We have nightly build, 3 experimental builds, somewhere some custom builds ... Is there some list of builds for 70D with some notes, differences, urls,..?

Quote from: yokashin on October 27, 2019, 11:49:22 PM
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

Sonoaux

Hi. I have tried these three builds and have not been able to implement crop rec to record at higher resolutions.

3-10x digital zoom was enabled in the Canon menu but as you see in the images below it says crop mode is not enabled.

croprec4kmlvlitesnd+sd_uhs-2018Aug10.70D112

Mar07.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless

Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental

Here is a link to some photos of the settings used: 
http://imgur.com/gallery/1WzicGN
http://imgur.com/gallery/2nNGxGL

I feel like I am missing some setting. Everything else seems to work perfectly

Walter Schulz

Only one public pic visible. Second "not found".
Have you tried to disable the crop setting from the menu and pressing loupe/magnify button in liveview instead?

Sonoaux

vga256

@stan101 asked me to provide a straightforward walkthrough of ML for the 70D to get him started. I promised a Youtube vid explaining my process and settings, but I'm a little squeezed for time this week so I'll provide a bullet-point form response until I can get to filming a tutorial:

Q: What version of ML do you run on your 70D?
A: I use Magic Lantern Nightly.2019Mar07.70D112 (02e5918a6ed5+ (crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd)) Built on 2019-03-07 20:10:24 UTC by artur@Artur-VirtualBox. This is ArcziPL's build discussed here. Download here.

Q: What settings do you use on your 70D?
A: I aim for the highest visual quality I can attain, sometimes at the cost of recording time.

Following are my Canon/70D settings accessed via the 'Menu' button:
Movie1 ->
AF method: Face+Tracking
Movie Servo AF: Enable

Movie2 ->
Grid display: Off
Movie rec. size: 1920/24/All-I
Digital zoom: Disable
Sound recording ->
       Sound rec.: Manual
       Rec. level: a few ticks past zero.
(I use an external microphone setup that has its own amplifier, so I set the internal amp as low as possible. If you're using your camera's internal mic, just set Sound Rec: Auto)

Below are my ML settings accessed via the 'Trash Can' button:

ML -> Modules ->
crop_rec: OK
mlv_lite: OK
mlv_snd: OK
All other modules are disabled.

These three modules must be enabled before the below settings can be worked on.

ML -> Movie -> RAW video ->
Resolution: 1832x1024
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Data format: 14-bit lossless
Sound Recording -> Enable Sound: On, Sampling Rate: 48 Khz
All others are left at ML defaults.

ML -> Overlay ->
Global Draw: OFF

ML -> Expo ->
White Balance: Auto
ISO: 100 (As another poster mentions, anything below 640 works well.)
Shutter: 1/48.19, 179* (Following the 180 degree shutter angle rule for creamier motion blur)
Aperture: whatever your lens supports
Picture Style: Cinestyle (I've downloaded the Cinestyle profile for the 70D and installed it as User)
All other left at ML defaults.

Q: How much recording time can I expect from this?
A: It depends on the complexity of the scene, but anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. The camera pushes to the SD card at 40-40.5 MBps at these settings. This is at the threshold of what the camera can handle.

Q: I need continuous recording. What settings should I use?
A: Drop your ML -> Movie -> RAW Video -> Data Format down to 12-bit lossless. This reliably writes to the SD card at 35-39 MBps, which provides unlimited/continuous shooting.

Q: I *really* need to shoot at 14-bit and want continuous recording. What settings should I use?
A: ML -> Movie -> Raw Video -> Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1 provides a resolution of 1832x832. You will get continuous shooting at 39MBps at 14-bit.

Q: What SD card do you use?
A: I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB U3/V30 170MB/s card. This card can write at 95 MB/s, which is overkill for the 70D, but it gives me an upgrade path if I decide to get a faster camera.

Q: What speed does the 70D write to the SD card at?
A: The maximum possible speed is 40MB/s. Anything above this will run the camera out of buffer within a few seconds.

Q: My ML menu screen flickers every few seconds. Why?
A: I have no idea. Mine does too.

Q: What program do you use to convert MLVs to another format?
A: MLV App.

Hope that helps @stan101! A Youtube tutorial is forthcoming in a week or two.

[email protected]

Nice one vga256 ....
When I saw your post here - I loaded up ArcziPL's build as well. Terrific! - now I've got sound as well.
Yes, the 'flickering' is a little annoying but it's only on the menu so no big deal. I ended up going with 1832 x 832 and was happy with 12 bit. I see what you mean about running time being dependent on the 'complexity of the scene'. If I use 'fast' camera moves it sometimes causes the recording icon to go yellow, or even red - indicating the buffer's filling too fast - but it always seems to recover and turn green again. My card's only 60MB/sec write speed, which is on the 'lean' side, but overall I still get very adequate recording times - (better than before). Thanks to all the clever folk involved - you're all thoroughly *brilliant* ....

nieller

Quote from: vga256 on January 30, 2020, 03:36:53 PM
I've been lurking in this thread for the past two years, and just want to thank the ML community for keeping the 70D alive.

After shooting raw video for the past couple of years on my 70D, I've got hours and hours of footage - enough that the 70D has become my daily driver for commercial videography. I've had a hard time finding a better alternative at the same price point so far. The learning curve was a bit steep for understanding the majority of the settings, but it has paid off handsomely with the rich colour I get out of the camera.

Some things I've noticed over the years:
- I shoot 14 bit lossless @ 1832x1024 16:9 24 fps continuous for the most part. The buffer usually hovers *very* close to full, but I can usually get away with continuous recording. For bright and visually complex scenes, sometimes it does overrun the buffer and I need to start recording again.
- For sensitive moments like interviews where I can't afford to miss a few seconds due to buffer overflow, I drop the camera down to 12 bit lossless. Perfect continuous recording there without the risk of buffer overrun.
- Running the camera in full Manual mode is critical for getting good images out of it. I set the shutter speed at 2x the framerate: so in my case, that's 24 fps with a shutter speed of 1/48.19
- I run with Global Draw off. I found the extra information useful, but ultimately distracting while I'm filming.

Not much new here, but I just wanted to share for anyone looking to try out ML on their 70D. Without it, I basically wouldn't have a film career. Much appreciated everyone :)

How on earth do you accomplish continuous shooting in 14bit RAW on the 70D? Isn't the write limit natively around 40mb/s on the 70D? I only get about 5 secs of running time if i shoot 14bit @1832x1024 16:9 24 fps. Regardless of fast card. Love to hear if you've changed any settings i haven't tried.

cheers

/NC

Walter Schulz

He is using lossless compression mode.

And please do not full quote...