ArcziPL's crop_rec_4k experiments for 70D

Started by ArcziPL, March 07, 2019, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootMeAlready

Shooting 60p raw works with fps override. The problem is the playback takes about 5 (or more) times as long to process the clip. So one really needs overclocking for play back.  You need to use in camera playback for focus checks, so until overclocking works on playback, the fps override is effectively crippled.  No one will routinely wait 5 minutes (or more) to view a 1 minute clip. On the bright side, we have fps override! Overclocking works!  We just have to integrate this into play back.   
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

andy kh

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on May 17, 2019, 02:41:31 PM
Shooting 60p raw works with fps override. 
shoooting 60p raw works with every build in normal mode.  you dont need fps override for this. as i have said earlier that fps override can only decrease fps but cant increase on 70D atleast for now
5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on May 17, 2019, 02:41:31 PM
really needs overclocking for play back.  You need to use in camera playback for focus checks,
press half shutter preview wil change to real time so you can focus easily. playback in realtime in camera is not possible.
5D Mark III - 70D

Zenmate

Hi , hope to be easy , i just want to ask a too simple and too important question

I have 70D and i want to:
-Raw video
-Focus Features in magic lantern

and I saw 135 pages here ,I  tried to read but,,,

I just want to know If that any problem in current build for 70d ?

and may flash ML brick camera ( I mean True Stories) ?

Thanks you too much

OlRivrRat

@ShootMeAlready

"Using "magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental"

Was able to get 2560 @ 2.35.1 23.9p 12bit raw lossless continuous in 5X.  Global was off, generally."

Here I Go Again > So What do You suppose I am doing wrong > The most I can get, & I get it consistently, is 7Sec's ~

ORR ~ DeanB

Update > Switching WhiteBalance from Auto to 5200K allows capture of 11Sec's ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

andy kh

Quote from: Zenmate on May 18, 2019, 12:54:42 AM
Hi , hope to be easy , i just want to ask a too simple and too important question

I have 70D and i want to:
-Raw video
-Focus Features in magic lantern
I just want to know If that any problem in current build for 70d ?
no problem

you dont need to read all 300 pages but try to read last few pages to know more about recent development if you want to shoot 3k ml raw video
5D Mark III - 70D

Zenmate

Quote from: andy kh on May 19, 2019, 12:17:26 PM
no problem

you dont need to read all 300 pages but try to read last few pages to know more about recent development if you want to shoot 3k ml raw video

I had read  it yes , and I'am little Confused

https://builds.magiclantern.fm

Here Nightly builds , for 70D the last file called  ( magiclantern-Nightly.2018Dec24.70D112)
that's mean it's updated in 2018 , and last few page here there are versions updated in couples days ago
I Don't what's right , I just want to shoot raw with little tricks like waveform and small stuff not complicated
and of course most safety , is version here less stable and non tested , and nightly builds is tested ?
Too appropriate to you for your help 
Can you help me to choose the right version and give me a Link for best versoin and testes , I mean Most Stable And Do small Stuff like focusing etc.
and all of these problems in this pages (Codes and other stuff) , Can i suffer from any of them if I just shoot raw (Not too high resolution like 4k or bit rate , 10 or 11 enough for me) And use Waveform Or False Color?
Thanks you

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

ShootMeAlready

Quote from: OlRivrRat on May 18, 2019, 02:39:58 AM
      @ShootMeAlready

"Using "magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental"

Was able to get 2560 @ 2.35.1 23.9p 12bit raw lossless continuous in 5X.  Global was off, generally."

Here I Go Again > So What do You suppose I am doing wrong > The most I can get, & I get it consistently, is 7Sec's ~

ORR ~ DeanB

Update > Switching WhiteBalance from Auto to 5200K allows capture of 11Sec's ~

Sounds like you need to engage the overclocking.
- Select ML raw video modules, sd_uhs, and crop (the crop was disabled but I selected it anyways ... superstitious) 
- Select ML raw resoultion 2560 at 2.35.1 aspect, with framing
- in  ML turn global off
- in ML, Sd overclock at 160 MB/s, need to override the warning
- go back check your resolution message, it should be green (or flicker from red to green, I did not always see solid green)
If not reselect the overclock,
- In liveview, on Q menu select 24 fps, ensure AF is not set to facial tracking, I suggest single box
- In liveview, on what is by default the * button on back hit until 5X
- Press liveview, and it may go red, yellow, green, but after about 30s the red disappears.

When you are pre-focus the half-shutter press effects focus/liveview update (play with it)

Hope this helps

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

OlRivrRat

&ShootMeAlready

It appears I'm Already doing My SetUp the same as Yours,, Except > I'm unclear on the meaning of this >

"- in ML, Sd overclock at 160 MB/s, need to override the warning
- go back check your resolution message, it should be green (or flicker from red to green, I did not always see solid green)
If not reselect the overclock,"

I don't get any visual indication that SD O'C' is active > 41MB/s is indicated Upper Right during Rec.

I have tried activating SD O'C' both Manually & via AutoRun ~

ShootMeAlready

Its the same issue as in « Reply #3356 on: May 15, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »

I found the override in two places, in ML menu, there is in Video Menu and again in the Overview of settings menu (on top far right, scroll down).  Sd module has to be loaded, as well as ML raw modules.

Try clean reboot, set-up, then press it once, exit ML, then 5X/AF and record. That's what I generally did.

OlRivrRat

@ShootMeAlready

"I found the override in two places" > Are You now Calling SD OverClock "the override" or are You now referring to something else?

In My ML Menus there is no reference to SD O'C' in the Video Menu & I do not have an "Overview of settings menu". The Far Right

menu on All My Cams is named "Modified" & SD O'C' does Not appear in that menu ~ To the immediate Left of that menu is a menu

named "Recent" & SD O'C' does appear in that Menu & when that SD O'C' is clicked it does appear to activate the O'C' & subsequent

Rec's of 2560x1090 2.35.1 23.9p 12bit raw lossless in 5X can be acquired Continuous ~

ShootMeAlready

As was said in previous reply you can read literal message, but it asks you more or less are you nuts for doing this? (russian roulette with your data)  Then you click - yes, to override. But you are running an experimental build anyways, and your camera came back from the dead so you are fearless.  You should only need to do this once per boot-up.

ShootMeAlready

Quote from: andy kh on May 16, 2019, 07:13:48 AM
i dont think you can shoot 60fps in 5X mode. no matter whatever your setting is in canon menu when u zoom in 5X it wil change to 30fps

I was able in 5X to shoot 24 fps.  I was testing 1920x1080 12 bit lossless in 5X, but 5X initially selected goes to 30 fps,
but if you set fps override Timer A to 842 (+170) I was getting 23.9 fps.

I could turn global on, with half shutter press, then set fps override to 23.9 and timer A to +170, and get 24 fps.
Global on you get screen updates every 3s or so.  In camera video playback is slow.  The big problem now is in camera liveview and playback. 

However with 5X cant get higher than 30p.   It would be interesting to compare 70D 12bit raw to 80D H264, to see how 80D sensor DR stacks up.

I suppose to answer my own question,
70D 12 bit raw if shot 1/3 over (expose to right) then it should have better detail. 
80D probably less noise in low light without processing. 
However detail can be traded off, to yield less noise, so it probably is a very fair comparison in the hands of skilled shooter.
I suspect 70D wins via better highlight and overall detail but low light noise about equal for same ISO.   Now for someone to check it out.
The 80D probably wins for high ISO shooting (ISO 3200 in H264) as raw tends to max out around ISO 800 (before hot pixels kick in).

theamazingaustin

Hey ML community.
It's been a while since I lurked on here and I'm trying to understand exactly what everyone is talking about to update myself. Search didn't resolve my confusion, apologies if I missed it clearly laid out, but if someone has a moment would you mind updating me on the 2.5k / fps / 5x mode recording capabilities in a nutshell?

From what I gather, changing between 14 / 12 / 10 - bit allows recording up to 2.5k resolution, but the camera has to be in the 5x screen zoom / focus check mode?
So the actual recording is not cropped to 5x, but without an external monitor you will be viewing your live preview at 5x zoom?

Sorry for the bother, just trying to get myself updated on the latest ML abilities for the 70D.
Much appreciated!

Walter Schulz

Actually crop mode is 3x and you get same cropped frames everywhere: recorded data, liveview monitor and HDMI.

ShootMeAlready

Ok 5X mode on 70D, is like a magic zoom. You see 5X on live view, but the actual video is 3X, so its a wider frame on playback.
Not sure about HDMI out???? Its been a while.
I think I recall you get all the LCD output, with the magic lantern screen stuff (as I recall). 
The HDMI out always required no screen extras, and then you could output to a video recorder.
At 5X and 2.5k @ 2.35:1 24fps, the LCD updates with a lag. So I suspect there's a lag.

andy kh

with the HDMi you wil only real time preiview in 5X crop mode. in camera you can choose between framing and real time
5D Mark III - 70D

dfort

Got some requests to put up a 70D build with lossless compression. I'm getting this when compiling the current crop_rec_4k branch:

#error FIXME: please define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_READ

I can either back out the changes that require FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING to create a hacked build or if someone with a 70D that knows how to use adtg_gui could look up ADTG registers 805f and 8061 we can do something a little better. Ideally these addresses eventually won't be hard coded.

Danne

Think these will work:
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM   (*(uint16_t*)0x404e6180) // ADTG register 805f
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM (*(uint16_t*)0x404e6184) // ADTG register 8061

#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_READ   (lv_dispsize > 1 ? FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM : FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM)
#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_WRITE  (lv_dispsize > 1 ? &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM : &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM)

Arcipl got them from his camera. Don´t remember where to find them but look around. He has his code on bitbucket.

EDIT: Here you go:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg213467#msg213467

dfort

Thanks. Looks like @ArcziPL has a test build on his downloads page. He did some tests on it so I think it is best if I just redirect any requests for 70D builds.

Would be nice to see a pull request for this.

ArcziPL

Quote from: Danne on June 12, 2019, 10:22:52 PM
Think these will work:
Disclaimer: no idea if the addresses of frame shutter blanking times are constant or camera-dependent or maybe even random at power-up. I also didn't test them as I didn't know how.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

baladev

Not sure if this is still relevant. I've just finished smoking the thread to educate myself about nuances of running ML on my recently acquired 70D. I've come across mentioned a couple of times people having difficulty running SD OverClock module on ArcziPL's builds. I also experienced this - the module giving me malloc errors when trying to run it. In my case it gives the error if Raw video is on. If I turn it off, I can enable overclock and then turn Raw video on.

I also did some quick tests today comparing different sd_uhs modules and it seems the one included is slower than Danne's. I will do more tests to confirm this.

TKez

Hey guys, big ups to everyone getting lossless / sd hacks / 3k going on this cam!

I've been checking this thread fairly regularly since it started, and reread the last 5 pages, + searched the 10bit thread,  but still a couple of things I can't find info on.

1. Why does 14bit lossless say ISO < 100. To me that means choose an ISO smaller than 100, but that doesn't make sense. Why does ISO matter to lossless anyway?
2. Magenta highlights in 12bit /10bit lossless modes. Is this a known issue? What causes it? I remember reading somewhere way back about incorrect white level, I can alleviate it somewhat by messing with it in MLV App, but I've no idea what I'm doing and it seems to hurt other colors. What's needed to fix this on the 70d now and can I help?

thanks