Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 650D / 700D (T4i / T5i)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, September 18, 2020, 07:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

anto

i'm a 650d ML user now

in benchmark only first write speed it's ok.
sometime raw rec works normally with 240hz hack, sometime its lock at 20MB.

93 write speed
20 read

20 write
20 read

micro sd card with adapter (samsung pro plus 128gb)

anto

on the back of the card:

mbddgvgbfw-5
kpnh656ih229
made in philippines

theBilalFakhouri

anto

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 28, 2022, 06:37:47 PM
You omitted first line which holds *the* essential information about card version. String should look like
MB-MC128H

MB-MD128K

anyway seams ok with new sd module

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks for the test. Will update the builds with latest sd_uhs later.

Icaab

Hello
The problem began to appear at my camera 650d: the speed of recording began to fall when you shoot several videos at the same time.
Both sandisk cards extreme pro r170/w90 with benchmark show the same results:
bench1" border="0
Should I turn off some parameters?
Attach my settings profile at the same time
https://mega.nz/file/7ww1lApC#hb2t-nr0_h7Fh-p3dugcSXwgf0Yk49ZhbNzRkweELf8

Edit:
Low-level formatting was done on both memory cards;sd_uhs latest version.

Edit2:
And also about the firmware: I shot with dual iso, fps override and crop mode v2, where I chose preset x5, and when the scene becomes darker - on the video there are pronounced noise vertical lines (sometimes helped to turn on the fix preview, but also does not always work)
Screenshot-1432" border="0
Here is the source:
https://mega.nz/file/L95iwR6K#LzE82LuWTq9CZRShWvXlg9scq8x40C_DyWqov_gG-ao

Icaab

Hello
Are you ever planning to upgrade the firmware 650-700d with the correction of noise stripes, falling speed, etc.?

theBilalFakhouri

@Icaab

I don't have "faliling speed" problem (SD card write speed drop?), could you record a video which shows what are you doing then upload it to Youtube?
For "vertical lines" or "noise stripes" problems, plz share a short MLV clip (1-2 seconds are enough), and upload it somewhere, I can't download big file sizes. It would be better to be 200 MB or lower.

The photos in reply #256 are dead, could you re-upoad them?

Icaab

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on January 04, 2023, 08:09:17 PM
@Icaab

I don't have "faliling speed" problem (SD card write speed drop?), could you record a video which shows what are you doing then upload it to Youtube?
For "vertical lines" or "noise stripes" problems, plz share a short MLV clip (1-2 seconds are enough), and upload it somewhere, I can't download big file sizes. It would be better to be 200 MB or lower.

The photos in reply #256 are dead, could you re-upoad them?

Noisy stripes
I didn't know what to show. I think you just wanted to configure the modules for shooting Video. Dual ISO I did not turn on here, and the stripes still came out
https://youtu.be/yPvp4PkfeZo
Here was fog machine and lens sigma 18-35 with f2.0 (the character himself that will stand in the scene, bright and based on it exhibited exposure, not Christmas tree)
https://mega.nz/file/D4J1DRrS#llV30fYvxev6Y5hQP8gOrs2O051t27Kbzm9pFNV616A
Here changed the lens on the Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM EF and exhibited the same aperture 2, but the fog is small and the skin relief itself is quite white and it shows the stripes at the top of the video where there is no focus (however, they are different and not as significant as in the video above)
https://mega.nz/file/qk5z3a7C#NrcwCbYJXHhuOVB-ZWt2JsbxOXixbtvchGdyb0rX3aM
Here with dual iso they are (on dark clouds visible stripes)
https://mega.nz/file/a15SWZhI#29lQ8l_MzLqr8WMHwLkkoQCx5iTn5N5Al2aAtK-ubLc

Falling speed
It happens periodically when a lot of video is shooting in one hour. I went to shoot nature and turned on dual iso and there the fall of speed manifested strongly.
But when there was a lot of filming at my house, but not so often, the speed of recording dropped less.
The same benchmark shows the speed drop over time (I checked both my memory cards - sandisk extreme pro 128gb):

Walter Schulz

Please repeat benchmark in PLAY mode.
Benchmark number decrease with decreasing block/buffer size, not because of time passed.

Icaab

20230107-165656" border="0
Yes, with this benchmark speed does not fall
But how then to explain that when you try to continuously shoot a lot of videos - the maximum time that footage can be recorded is reduced. (shot more than a minute, and then no more than 30 seconds - for example)

Walter Schulz

Last tests I did was some weeks ago. I used 650D, too and observed no decline doing continuous recording for 6 minute takes until card was full. Speed was shy of 80 MByte/s.

Redo your test without lossless compression to avoid side effects. Esp. high exposure/overexposure will reduce compression efficiency (and worse).

theBilalFakhouri

@Icaab

"Falling speed"

Your SD card seems fine. as Walter said the first benchmark isn't related to what you are facing.
More likely your scenes are complex and you probably always use 14-bit lossless which requires fast write speed in some scenes in UHD 1x3 mode (could be more than 80 MB/s; more than the camera can handle).

You can check how much does RAW video recording needs in specific scene by higlighting "RAW video" in "Movie" tab, and check ML bottom bar.
If the required write speed is too high, you either need to enable "aewb" hack (which could gain 5-7 MB/s write speed) or use lower bit-depth from "Crop mode" submenu, like 12-bit.

"Noisy stripes"

I could see some vertical stripes after pushing contrast and some other settings in "M30-0751.mlv" clip, and it's probably there in "M30-0803.mlv" clip too (barely visible).
I think you will need to use dark frame to get rid of these vertical stripes, have you ever used dark frame before?

You can do that in MLVApp.

for "3 v M15-1653.mlv" Dual-ISO clip, it seems to me these are other type of vertical stripes which can come from Timer A (or B?) at specific values. The main cause for this is by using FPS override in some "Crop mode" presets like UHD 1x3. I am assuming you have used FPS override with UHD 1x3 preset, right?

To make sure, record a clip (like a cloudy sky, the scene must show vertical stripes as in Dual ISO shot), fiirst time using the same settings (5 FPS, UHD 1x3) and another time without FPS override, then upload them somewhere.

drmrtdmr

Hi Bilal. Unfortunately, the link you gave for the 650d is unavailable. Can you repost?

theBilalFakhouri

drmrtdmr

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 08, 2023, 10:50:58 PM
Works like a charm. Problem is on your side.
Try to access https://bitbucket.org/bilal_fakhouri/magic-lantern/downloads
It enters the site you gave, but when I click on the file, it gives an error. I tried it on all my devices.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: drmrtdmr on January 08, 2023, 11:02:28 PM
It enters the site you gave, but when I click on the file, it gives an error. I tried it on all my devices.

Sounds like some connected device (home router,internet provider) doesn't like github. Have you tried proxy/VPN?

theBilalFakhouri

The link works fine. For me I have to use VPN to access bitbucket.

Icaab

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 07, 2023, 03:08:27 PM
Last tests I did was some weeks ago. I used 650D, too and observed no decline doing continuous recording for 6 minute takes until card was full. Speed was shy of 80 MByte/s.

Redo your test without lossless compression to avoid side effects. Esp. high exposure/overexposure will reduce compression efficiency (and worse).
Did you mean in the Movie > Raw video > Data format switch 14-bit losless to 14 bit? In this case, the camera can not record one second of the video, no matter how I reduce the bit (and in "RAW video" it is written that the speed required is 110.6 mb/s)

Icaab

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on January 07, 2023, 04:48:33 PM
@Icaab

"Falling speed"

Your SD card seems fine. as Walter said the first benchmark isn't related to what you are facing.
More likely your scenes are complex and you probably always use 14-bit lossless which requires fast write speed in some scenes in UHD 1x3 mode (could be more than 80 MB/s; more than the camera can handle).

You can check how much does RAW video recording needs in specific scene by higlighting "RAW video" in "Movie" tab, and check ML bottom bar.
If the required write speed is too high, you either need to enable "aewb" hack (which could gain 5-7 MB/s write speed) or use lower bit-depth from "Crop mode" submenu, like 12-bit.

"Noisy stripes"

I could see some vertical stripes after pushing contrast and some other settings in "M30-0751.mlv" clip, and it's probably there in "M30-0803.mlv" clip too (barely visible).
I think you will need to use dark frame to get rid of these vertical stripes, have you ever used dark frame before?

You can do that in MLVApp.

for "3 v M15-1653.mlv" Dual-ISO clip, it seems to me these are other type of vertical stripes which can come from Timer A (or B?) at specific values. The main cause for this is by using FPS override in some "Crop mode" presets like UHD 1x3. I am assuming you have used FPS override with UHD 1x3 preset, right?

To make sure, record a clip (like a cloudy sky, the scene must show vertical stripes as in Dual ISO shot), fiirst time using the same settings (5 FPS, UHD 1x3) and another time without FPS override, then upload them somewhere.

Yeah, I know what you wrote. Unfortunately, there are probably failures in the camera and at one point it can not properly shoot a few seconds, as if not changing the bit depth(in the scene only my room).And so the fruitless shooting goes for five minutes, and then the problem disappears by itself and  I can shoot continuously even in 14-bit depth.

Yes, I know about the darkframe, but what's the point when I have a bright picture, shooting was with 200 iso and the exposure settings were not properly changed in mlvapp? I'll try it next time, but I've never seen such a problem with vivid frames

Bilal, what Walter Schulz meant when he said
QuoteRedo your test without lossless compression to avoid side effects. Esp. high/overexposure will reduce compression efficiency (and worse).
How do I do that?

ML700D

hi bilal,
just curious, is it possible to implement transfer function like in mlvapp to camera?
I think it would be great to have log recording in camera..

thanks..
EOS 700D

masc

Quote from: ML700D on January 19, 2023, 03:58:24 AM
is it possible to implement transfer function like in mlvapp to camera?
I think it would be great to have log recording in camera..
MLVApp uses the power of CPUs - and you know how fast it processes. The camera has a tiny MPU. Transfer function must be applied on all pixels in all frames. I doubt you'll get more than 1fps, probably less... ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202