Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 650D / 700D (T4i / T5i)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, September 18, 2020, 07:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ML700D

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 17, 2021, 09:57:38 PM
Hello @lightwriter

Sorry for the delay:

Your 700D have different shutter blanking addresses, resulting in wrong shutter speeds when using my build, the problem isn't from the build itself, on my 700D it works just fine because the addresses used in my build matches the addresses which my 700D generate, let's say for now some 700D models are different from other 700D models, and your 700D need other shutter blanking addresses.

a1ex did explain this case earlier and I did mention it before, current temporary solution is to release two builds which include the two addresses, or find a way to add them in one build.
I may do it in near future.

is it like mine? When I use shutter 1/50 on canon setting but on ml preview is wrote 1/26.
EOS 700D

theBilalFakhouri

Yes, shutter speeds shows as stuck value or incorrect value in ML menu.

ML700D

EOS 700D

ML700D

Hello theBilalFakhouri,

I've got crash this day, I don't know why.
here I attach the crash log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/140IBe4k-8p4F-TeIAxazwtAEE5fr25EV/view?usp=sharing

but the camera run normal again after I turn off and open the battery.
EOS 700D

ML700D

hello again,

@theBilalFakhouri sorry to ask..
can the crop mode be integrated into the raw video menu?
because I had experience when I turn off the raw video but forget turn off the crop mode, to get normal video shoot, the camera freeze..
EOS 700D

theBilalFakhouri

Hi @ML700D

Two requested changes you asked for are done, I will try to release as soon as possible:

1- crop_rec won't be patched in Photo mode.
2- crop_rec only would has effect when RAW video is ON, turning OFF RAW video would disable "Crop mode", and you can record H.264 safely, not of my crop_rec presets works in H.264 anyway.

Other changes for the coming build:

1- mlv_lite: Fixed ML Framing preview when not using real-time correct preview presets.

2- crop_rec: Canon overlays are disabled when using crop modes with real-time correct preview (Enhanced experience).
    crop_rec: ML global draw top bar would go to the bottom automatically when using crop modes with real-time correct preview and vice-versa (Enhanced experience).
    crop_rec: Pressing Half-Shutter in Idle would switch preview to Canon x10; to quickly check focus.
    crop_rec: Added Full-Resolution LiveView preset (5208x3478 @ 2 FPS).

3- crop_new: Enhanced LiveView automatic refreshing after applying new settings or when enabling/disabling the module.
    crop_new: Press SET button in LiveView to refresh LiveView manually.
    crop_new: Added selectable FPS option.

ML700D

EOS 700D

IBIRRU

EOS 700D 1.1.5, EOS 500D

lightwriter

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 17, 2021, 09:57:38 PM
Hello @lightwriter

Sorry for the delay:

Your 700D have different shutter blanking addresses, resulting in wrong shutter speeds when using my build, the problem isn't from the build itself, on my 700D it works just fine because the addresses used in my build matches the addresses which my 700D generate, let's say for now some 700D models are different from other 700D models, and your 700D need other shutter blanking addresses.

a1ex did explain this case earlier and I did mention it before, current temporary solution is to release two builds which include the two addresses, or find a way to add them in one build.
I may do it in near future.

During my tests, SD overclocking isn't related to corrupted frames in any way.

Please provide a frame or short MLV clip which have corrupted frames your are experiencing, probably you are using "Crop mode V2" which is a bit buggy right now, and always make sure you are refreshing LiveView manually by pressing Menu button twice (I have explained this before).

You may want to stick with "Crop mode" (crop_rec) for now which works better.

Hi @theBilalFakhouri!

Sorry for only now replying to your answer.

Thanks for the explanation of the first point; I was going a little nuts, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Regarding the corrupted frames, I exposed this situation to a guy in youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA1OBB0Z2EERvT5hHiXLTmw, and he told me to disable Global Draw. That did work flawlessly; however, has it was to be expected, disabling Global Draw stops me from seeing important information like zebras and the histogram...

Oh, and congratulations for the soon to be released build. Seems you added some very welcome additions!

theBilalFakhouri

I have just re-uploaded the 650D build, missed something, re-download it again.

theBilalFakhouri

Again, sorry! I have just re-uploaded the "crop_rec_4k.2021May24.700D115_Shutter_Blanking" build, missed something, please re-download it again from the first post!

If you curios: I am using crop_rec_4k branch, when compiling an old version of mlv_snd gets included in the build, I have to replace it manually each time, not a huge thing, will try to update mlv_snd code in crop_rec_4k branch, currently you have the latest mlv_snd in my builds, so don't worry about it and have fun!

zandette974

Hi,
I'm using the last 700d's build for "shutter blanking issue" and audio is not recorded.
Maybe i'm doing something wrong.
Audio module is loaded and on.
I did a test with the "regular" build and audio works fine.

Thanks.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: zandette974 on May 29, 2021, 08:43:26 AM
Hi,
I'm using the last 700d's build for "shutter blanking issue" and audio is not recorded.
Maybe i'm doing something wrong.
Audio module is loaded and on.
I did a test with the "regular" build and audio works fine.

Thanks.

Hello!

I don't have this issue, the sound gets recorded fine here with shutter blanking build.

More details are needed:

What modules are loaded, camera settings, which preset are you using?
Could share a picture for ML menu?

Note: I have re-uploaded that build after few hours of the original upload, the new upload fix the sound recording compatibility issue, if you missed that, please re-download the build from the first post and test again.

zandette974

Hi Bilal
I re-downloaded and everything is fine now.

Thank you

theBilalFakhouri

New builds are posted in the first post for 650D/700D

Changes:

crop_rec:
-The preview in mlv_lite will change automatically to "real-time" when selecting presets with real-time correct preview. (some users are missing this step, now it's automatic)

-Added new "720p50 3x3" preset 1736x698 3x3 @ 50 FPS with correct un-stretched preview, this preset is included originally in the official crop_rec_4k builds but without the preview fix, I didn't include 60 FPS option because of overhead and corrupted frames, at 50 FPS it works fine. The preview looks choppy but the recorded RAW data isn't affected.

-crop_rec won't be enabled when autofocus is ON

-Added warning messages to make everything clear in crop_rec

These from first post are no longer needed and have been removed:
...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  .
General notes:
-You need to disable autofocus when using crop_rec module (Important).
-Use "real-time" preview in mlv_lite submenu if you want to use crop_rec presets which support real-time correct preview for better experience.
...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  ...  .

barton_senger44

Hello Bilal,
I have the latest build of yours installed on my 700D but I have a question. I am kind of confused from the different resolutions, formats and crops that are available. My question is what is the highest resolution I can shoot at without crop aka the highest quality the camera can offer without crop and with minimal alliasing

Saint

Dear Bilal!
Installed your firmware, installed SD card overclocking,
works well, thanks! Filmed without a crop, compressed at 14bit. On some shots, there is a sky, but it was pink. and there are frame drops, 1 or 2 for 30-40 seconds. 190 Mhz card. It may be my imagination, but the colors and dynamic range are better. Thank you! On the crop, of course, 18-55 is not very good quality. At 24 STM, the picture looks better both on crop and without it.

Уважаемый Билал!
Поставил вашу прошивку, установил разгон SDкарты,
работает хорошо, спасибо! Снимал без кропа, на 14bit сжатый. На некоторых шотах, есть небо, но оно было розовым. и есть пропуски кадров, 1 или 2 на 30-40 секунд. Карта на 190 Mhz.  Может это мое воображение, но цвета и динамический диапазон стали лучше. Спасибо! На кропе конечно 18-55 не очень качество. На 24 STM картинка выглядит лучше и на кропе и без него.
Canon 650D, 18-55mm IS , 50mm 1,8, 24 STM. SanDisk Extreme Pro 90Mb/s.

theBilalFakhouri

Hello Saint!

If you want me to check why the sky was pink, please provide short MLV sample for that clip, you can cut the MLV file inside MLVApp using "Cut In & Cut Out" tab, two frames are enough, then export it into MLV file, set the "Codec" inside "Export Settings" window to "MLV" "Fast Pass", and upload the sample and give me the link.

I don't have the pink sky issue, a common workarounds for this issue: don't use auto iso, try "Highlights Reconstruction" in "Processing" tab inside MLVApp, try lowering "RAW White Level" in "RAW Correction" tab also inside MLVApp with small steps.

To get continuous RAW recording in normal 1080p mode 3x3 (with no crop), depending on resolution, framerate and what aspect ratio you are using, you may want to use lower bit-depths like 12-bit lossless or 10-bit lossless, the overclock helps too, 192 MHz with Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 95 MB/s is pretty good for most modes (~58 to ~61 MB/s Write Speed), Sandisk Extreme PRO UHS-I U3 170 MB/s with 240 MHz is the best (~68 MB/s Write Speed), as described in the first post.

Highlight "RAW video" in "Movie" tab inside ML Settings, you can see the a calculated required write speed in current mode in ML bottom bar, perform benchmarks test for your card in camera in current mode, load "bench.mo" module --> restart the camera --> "Debug" tab --> "Benchmarks" --> "Card Benchmarks" --> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min), you can see how your SD card performs.

If you want to get the best sharp images with 18-55 STM kit lens, you need to use f/5.6 at 18mm, and up to f/8 at 55mm (depending on my own tests), prime lenses are always better, I only have the 50mm 1.8 prime lens, so no much experience with wider focal length prime lenses, you may want to watch YT and see some reviews/advices . . etc.

Sorry for the long answer, glad you liked the build :D

Saint

Yes, I'll post a short piece. I am translating from MLV to DNG for Davinchi Resolve. Therefore, I do not do anything in MLV, because as I understand it, DNG is pure RAW. I tend to shoot at 24mm STM, from f / 5 to f / 16. M mode, ISO 100-400, rarely up to 800.
25 frames / sec. 1/50 s. 18-55 used only for crop, but soap is visible. Only now I realized that I removed all MLVs from the filming, only DNG remained. I'll try to catch it next time.
I'm afraid to run a speed test, because you sent a link about a person whose card is broken. And something tells me in my head that I also did the speed test then and it stopped working :-) So I'm AFRAID to do the test. :-)

Да, я выложу короткий кусочек. Я перевожу из MLV в DNG для Davinchi Resolve. Поэтому я ничего не делаю в MLV, потому что как я понял DNG это чистый RAW. Я стараюсь снимать на 24 мм STM, от f / 5 до f / 16. Режим М, ISO 100-400, редко до 800.
25 кадров / с. 1/50 с. 18-55 использовал только для кропа, но видно мыло. Только сейчас понял что я удалил все MLV со сьемки, остались только DNG. Попробую поймать в следующий раз.
Боюсь запускать тест скорости, так как вы прислали ссылку про человека у которого карта сломалась. И мне что то подсказывает в голове что я тоже делал тогда тест скорости и она перестала работать :-) Так что тест БОЮСЬ делать. Жалко карту :-)
Canon 650D, 18-55mm IS , 50mm 1,8, 24 STM. SanDisk Extreme Pro 90Mb/s.

theBilalFakhouri

Okay, you might prefer DNG for Davinci Resolve, no worries about the MLV clip with pink sky.

I see, if you are afraid to run SD benchmarks, don't do it, that's always up to you, doing anything related to ML is at your own risk.

Icaab

Hello, everybody. I'm delighted that we've updated the firmware and made some positive changes. However, I'm concerned about the following:
In my last experimental firmware, I had the ability to configure the screen resolution so that in the editor of MLV App I had a picture like 2:35:1
https://pasteboard.co/K7e6M7f.png

In the current firmware, no matter how many times I've gone through the rabbi and crop settings - the height of the video cannot increase and in the application it is not 2214 pixels as before.
https://pasteboard.co/K7e7qv5.png

I like the firmware, but this is a problem for me. I have long wanted to use this very regime, because it creates the ideal balance of sides for my ideas.
I want a ratio 5208 by 2214 :)

(I used to change the following parameters:
Crop mode v2 and RAW video
https://pasteboard.co/K7e9vdG.jpg
But now the line of RAW video stays the same height)

theBilalFakhouri

Hello @Icaab

1736x2214 does work here, I didn't change anything regarding this, could you share a photo showing your camera settings? or a video showing what are you doing?

I found crop_rec may conflict with crop_new sometimes if both loaded in some cases resulting in crop_new (Crop mode V2) won't apply the selected settings, in this case try turning off "Crop mode V2", press menu button twice in LiveView, or toggle between 1080p and x5 modes by pressing magnification button several times, turn on "Crop mode V2" again, does it work?

Make sure you are getting 1736x2214 resolution from mlv_lite (RAW video) before recording . .

theBilalFakhouri

Ok, I think I found what is happening, will release a new builds soon might fix this problem (currently unload crop_rec module if you want to use crop_new).