crop_rec_4k derived builds for 700D / T5i

Started by dfort, April 02, 2019, 01:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Before April 1 is over how about a little announcement for the 700D?

Danne has been adding 700D settings on his bleeding edge branch. You know, the one that has been getting so much attention because of the new crop_rec settings for the EOSM. Well, it turns out that the 700D and EOSM are very closely related and I was able to talk him into adding those EOSM settings for the 700D. I was also able to get the code from theBilalFakhouri for his 1x3 sampling settings that allows you to use dual_iso without the severe aliasing.

Of course this stuff is highly experimental but I thought that maybe I should start posting builds with the features I'm testing enabled.

So without further ado -- Bleeding_edge.2019Apr01.700D115 on my downloads page. Only 5K Anamorphic is enabled along with the modules that work with it. Best combined with MLV App which will automatically adjust the aspect ratio.

IDA_ML

This is really very exciting stuff, Dfort and Danne!  It eliminates moire and aliasing and seems to provide enough resolution for Dual ISO.  Can you please also post a wide angle shot with a lot of fine detail to see how it behaves in such critical situations? 

Also, did you try to get rid of the pink blown up highlights?  I experimented with HDR video recently and found that once you blow up the highlights on the high-ISO frame, it is impossible to eliminata the pink highlights in MLVApp, no matter how hard you push the white level. 

And finally, where are the focus pixels?  Did you make a new map for this mode?

Thanks for this bleeding edge announcement.

Danne

Posting a 700D build here:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Apr02.700D115.zip

Contains following presets:
"2.5K",
"3K",
"4K",
"Full-res LiveView",
"2.5K 1:1 centered x5",
"mv1080p 1736x976 46/48fps",
"5K anamorphic",

Commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/21a0d4ea5377a3b1841c7ced11e15fdcd9a3d241

Branch:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/branch/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets

Tested by dfort since I don´t have the camera myself. I expect maybe some issues with bottom pixels and maybe something else not working. Feedback is welcome.

I started out using theBilalFakhouri crop rec settings ending up using mainly the same presets as for eos m. Therefore most of the stuff here will apply:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Note, that 3k, 4k and fullres liveview needs preview set to framing. Recommended that you use Ratios set to 2.35:1 from Crop mode sub menu for possible continuous action. Also enable the sd_uhs module. Bitdepth changes is done from Crop mode sub menu as well. Default when starting up is 25fps and 12bit so turn off and change accordingly.

Quick tip! If you want to go straight into anamorphic 4.5k use lua cine script.
Have fun! Bleeding edge...

dfort

Here's a quick shot using the 5K Anamorphic setting (1x3 sampling) and Dual ISO processed to ProRes 422 HQ with MLV App (and new focus pixel map files). Didn't see any pink highlights using Danne's latest build.

Yes, I know it is a bit of a cheat calling it 5K because the horizontal resolution is "only" 1184 pixels stretched out to 3552. What matters is the final results.

Ballinger

Quote from: dfort on April 06, 2019, 11:57:18 PM
Here's a quick shot using the 5K Anamorphic setting (1x3 sampling) and Dual ISO processed to ProRes 422 HQ with MLV App (and new focus pixel map files). Didn't see any pink highlights using Danne's latest build.

Yes, I know it is a bit of a cheat calling it 5K because the horizontal resolution is "only" 1184 pixels stretched out to 3552. What matters is the final results.

Wonderful, amazing stuff.  Question: What does Anamorpic setting accompish exactly?  Is this a way to get around the normal limitions of Liveview Framing Mode during crop recording? 

dfort

What Anamorphic 1x3 accomplishes is rather hard to explain if you aren't familiar with the way DSLR's shoot HD video on their much higher resolution still photo sensors. Basically, when shooting video still cameras combine or "bin" three pixels horizontally and skip two out of every three pixels vertically. Skipping increases the probability of aliasing and moiré. Why not bin vertically? Well, the 5D3 is the only ML supported camera that does that and it does improve the video quality. However the smaller, less expensive cameras skip vertically. What the Anamorphic (a.k.a. 1x3 sampling) setting does is to keep the horizontal binning but use all of the vertical resolution available on the sensor. Yeah, I know, why not use all the resolution both vertically and horizontally? Because that's just too much to process in camera and write to the SD card.

A benefit of having high vertical resolution is when using Dual ISO. Dual ISO can lose up to half the vertical resolution and is susceptible to aliasing but since you are starting with three times the vertical resolution, well you get the idea.

If you process Anamorphic Dual ISO through an MLV app that doesn't adjust for these settings it will look like this:

As far as what it does to the LiveView, you can choose between proper framing but in black and white at a slow refresh rate or a distorted stretched image in color. There is a way to "rewire" the LiveView to give you a better image for framing. This is still rather experimental and isn't working on the 700D -- yet.

Danne

a1ex put up a chart showing the quality between binning modes. Clearly 1x3 binning(anamorphic ) wins hands down when coming to recorded resolution and image quality.
Rewired mode will indeed get a less skewed image. It´s working for 100D and eosm and shouldn´t be an issue to get into 700D. One issue though is that it seems the price to pay is a little more cpu demandig liveview so getting a few more corrupted frames is to be expected. Well, every cam seems to behave a little different so maybe 700D could do even better in this regard.

On a sidenote. "Rewiring" through mvoie crop mode" What else could be done to get even better preview capabilities here? Rewiring x 2  8)

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on April 12, 2019, 06:57:17 AM
On a sidenote. "Rewiring" through mvoie crop mode" What else could be done to get even better preview capabilities here? Rewiring x 2  8)

By finding out which registers control the stretched preview  :D

Is rewiring works for unstretched mv720 in 3x3 ? Bringing mv720 with 3x3 sampling in Movie Crop mode should give unstretched preview (I have tried to patch mv720 with 3x3 in mv1080 to get correct preview but the camera freezes maybe there are some missing registers for high FPS (same reason we couldn't get more than 60 fps unlike 6D at 96 FPS)

Okay just got an Idea @Levas can you try to patch mv720 with 3x3 sampling into mv1080 in 6D? This should give real time unstretched preview for mv720 with 3x3 sampling.

Or try to get 50/60 FPS in mv1080 @ 1824x634 resolution.

Danne

Mcm rewire goes through movie crop mode. Property reg set to mv1080p. I actually started movie crop mode in mv720p bypassing several code warnings which soft bricked my eosm. A1ex prepped a fix and cam went back to normal. So, any mv720p preview fixes should be done outside the rewiring stuff imo.
I did try to select mv720p after rewired mode was set but image and preview crashes.
One interesting thing about crop mode is that it's the only mode acting like a "normal" cam with liveview readout set to 24 or 25 etc and also records this way. Otherwise liveview always stays in 30 fps when idle. Is this still the case with eos m50? Why this difference from other cams?

Still the riddle persists how eos m in the very moment it starts to record sets all regs straight for mv1080p with preserved real time capabilities while raw sends us straight to mv720p.

IDA_ML

For those of you who wish to see the difference between the genuine 4k (4056x2552) and the 1x3 modes, here are two frame grabs from two clips shot on the 100D:

Genuine_4k_3408x1918_10bitLL_8fps_iso200:

1x3_Binning_3408x1916_10bitLL_24fps_iso400:

There is a 1 stop difference in exposure between the two samples that occurred due to a cloud obscuring the sun between the two shots.  I had to compensate for it by increasing the ISO, accordingly. 

Enrico

Hello everyone I read somewhere about people shooting 4k on a 700D, how is this possibile? I struggle to shoot 1728x736 10bit at 25 fps (not continuous of course), is there a way to shoot high quality 1080p continuous 30fps with this camera maybe using log etc? Sorry for my bad english

Walter Schulz

It has been pointed out several times that ML will not add any custom codec. You will find such a note in Feature Requests forum -> Sticky "Features that are NOT possible - please don't request them -> Item 3:
QuoteCustom codecs
Codecs are not implemented on the general-purpose ARM processor. We can only use what Canon has already included in hardware (H.264, JPEG, LJ92) and fine-tuned their parameters (such as the H.264 bit rate).

A few posts above (reply #1186) you will find a link for a custom 700D build containing 4k option.

dfort

Quote from: Enrico on April 27, 2019, 03:12:11 PM
I struggle to shoot 1728x736 10bit at 25 fps (not continuous of course)...

Are you using the sd_uhs module?

The camera can shoot all the way up to full resolution but it is very tricky and at very slow frame rates.

I think the setting you are looking for was first brought to light by theBilalFakhouri and it is also in Danne's bleeding edge experiments. It is known as 1x3 or Anamorphic or even 5k. Read the last several posts in this topic to find out more about how it works. Note that it isn't a "real" 5k or 4k, at least not horizontally.  ;)

iurik

Hey guys!

I have some problems with HDR/Advanced bracketing in my t5i.
I need to do 5 shots, 2 EV.
Everything works perfectly if exposure comp is set at -1, 0 or 1.
But sometimes I have to shoot -6, -4, -2, 0, 2.
And here is the problem - when I set exposure at -2, it shots such shots - -5, -4, -2, 0, 2.
It doesn't go lower than -5 :(

Camera's standard settings - I can do 3 shots and can go as low as -7.
But I have to do 5 shots, 2EV.

Please advise if I should adjust some settings so the camera can make shots lower than -5.

Thank you!!!

Walter Schulz

Give details about your settings:
Bracket type, Frames, EV increment, Sequence and (essential) photo mode used (M, I hope) and your Tv setting.
Best to take a screenshot like this:

Most likely your sequence hits cameras lowest exposure timing. Indicated by suffix E in Frames.

EstaDive

Quote from: Jotys on February 12, 2015, 10:02:19 PM
t5i not allow to trigger 3rd party flash in live view. Is there any work around with ML.

I know this is an old post and I was wondering if anyone figured out a way to do this? It looks like ML for some older cameras has a feature to allow for this, but I looked in the "Flash Tweaks" menu on my t5i and there is no option for this

iurik

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 08, 2019, 10:39:03 AM
Give details about your settings:
Bracket type, Frames, EV increment, Sequence and (essential) photo mode used (M, I hope) and your Tv setting.
Best to take a screenshot like this:

Most likely your sequence hits cameras lowest exposure timing. Indicated by suffix E in Frames.

This is my settings:

I have to shoot in Aperture Mode as this is my company request.
Problem is that the lowest EV I can go with ML is -5.
With camera settings, I can reach -7 but my camera supports only 3 frames :(

Walter Schulz

Quote from: iurik on July 01, 2019, 08:08:19 PM
I have to shoot in Aperture Mode as this is my company request.

I need a little bit of enlightment here:
Aperture Mode uses fixed aperture number and I suppose you want Advanced Bracket to increase/decrease exposure by altering shutter duration. Right?
M mode with Advanced Bracket and Bracket type "Exposure (Tv,Ae)" does just that.

So what's your (or the company's) point?
There is a reason for bottom line showing "This feature works best in Manual (M) mode" in not-so-subtle yellow font ...

EDIT: If there is a PHB problem involved you may want to use EXIFtool to manipulate pics EXIF data from "M" to "Av" in post.

scrax

Quote from: EstaDive on June 21, 2019, 06:06:30 AM
I know this is an old post and I was wondering if anyone figured out a way to do this? It looks like ML for some older cameras has a feature to allow for this, but I looked in the "Flash Tweaks" menu on my t5i and there is no option for this
Could be that that feat isn't enabled because not working, basically it's a workaround that change mode to not LV when taking the pic and then reverts back to LV. IIRC also on 6d it's not present.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

JayJayProductions

Hi,
First of all thanks for ML to everyone ;D I love it!

I use ML with mostly no problems (1.1.5 firmware), but I have a couple that are some problems:

- The magic zoom box keeps flickering mostly. Very distracting. Couldn't find any solution here on this forum.
- Sometimes Focus-peaks keep showing after taking the photo for a couple of seconds, which can also be very distracting.

Kind regards

Walter Schulz

Flickering should be fixed within lua_fix experimental build.
Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (drop-down menu) -> Experiments -> lua_fix

clubsoda

Can the new sd hack bring improvements to our beloved 700d?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: clubsoda on August 11, 2020, 01:43:51 PM
Can the new sd hack bring improvements to our beloved 700d?

In terms of writing speed?
Yes

clubsoda

What is the latest build recommended to use for raw recording with the new uhs module? crop_rec_4k from 22. juli 2018? Or is there a better danne build? Can't seem to get access to dannes bitbucket :( Seems like it's down