Levas' crop_rec_4k experiments for 6D

Started by Levas, December 01, 2019, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wagamama

Hi Levas, thank you so much I will try that out and let you know, that would indeed make switching really quick if it works! Thanks  :) :) :)

wagamama

Hi again, OK I couldn't wait to test this so just have but I'm now struggling to get even 24fps... it seems to set itself to 17.521fps.. it also seems to limit the resolution some times to 1824*466 then other times its 1832*780 (0.99x)..seems to almost change every time I turn the camera on! It also pops up right at the start saying FPS override 48fps (great) but then after a second it goes to 17fps in the top info bar in live view and the live view freezes ... menus/ML menu still work fine though.

What I did was:

Put 6D in movie mode set to 1280*720
In ML press Q on "crop mode," went to "720p Preset" and set it to 1824*904@48fps
Turned "crop mode" on and chose "High fps only use in 720p mode"
In RAW video chose 2:35 (also tried 16:9 but FPS is still 17fps) and the highest it'll set resolution to by choose 1920.

Not tried actual filming or anything yet just wondered if you had any thoughts, or if you could try it your end and see if its the same, I am using the most up to date version of your build (jul2020)

Thanks!

atjeremy

Hi guys!

Been a long time Eos M user, and have moved to the 6d. Loving it, but just a little question.

I read that I could shoot continuous raw at 1876 3:2 with 90mb/s sandisk extreme pro, which I have. However, wether SDS module is on or off, I can only get about 7-8 seconds. Is this normal?

Would love some help with this. Thank you for all your work.

AJ

tigs

Is there a way to add "image effects" ? I want to preview negative films while digitizing them. thanks. Or is there a tone-inverting picture style available?

thanks

#Silverback542021

Hello.  I have been trying to find 6D update version 1.1.6.  The below link is not working;

https://web.archive.org/web/pel.hu/down/eos6d-v116-win.zip

Anyone know of a source?

Thanks

Walter Schulz

Link is ok. Problem must be on your side.

Levas

The original Canon firmware updater file for Canon 6D to version 1.1.6
Uploaded it to my google drive(long time ago). Contains the original .FIR file and some instructions PDF files in different languages:
http://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_WpYbRMOm_XrjWJxnns1FMiEN0tzZBWV?usp=sharing

ShittyWebsite

Hello
I have a small question:

I'm looking for either 6D or 5D3
The problem is that i can get two 6Ds for the price of a single 5D3

I have a 700D (bilal's crop rec) and i'm looking for a full frame camera

How well does it compare? i would use mostly for photos (at least 5000x3200 and some video using 1x3 modes)

Levas

For video you're way better of with the 5d3
5d3 has faster write speed to storage card and sensor read out is faster (which gives you higher resolutions at the same frame rate compared to 6d).

For photo's probably not much of a difference.

Concerning Magic lantern, 5d3 has bigger userbase / more developers and is therefore more updated compared to 6d.

gonzzalo_b

Quote from: Levas on September 16, 2020, 10:22:23 AM
With that card I would expect higher speeds possible. I have a 128GB Sandisk 170mb card and it does around ~80Mb/s with the 240Mhz option setting.

But at what resolution setting are you recording, you might be in a video mode that is not data heavy. Normal 1824x1026 video mode doesn't need more speed then ~60Mb/s. So could be that your card can handle more, but your resolution setting doesn't require more speed.

Hello, I'm new in this forum and I like to share my test using the last build magiclantern-Nightly.2020Jul16.6D116 with the SanDisk SDXC Extreme Pro 64 GB 95Mb/s recommended. I hope this can be helpful.
I named the settings for practical purposes

Settings A (240Mhz)
SD: Sandisk Extreme pro 64gb 95mb/s
RES: 1824x1024
AR: 16:9
Frame rate:24 fps ALL-I
Data format: 14 bit (uncompressed)
SD OVERCLOCK: 240 Mhz
CONTINUOUS RECORDING
With this overclock when is selected RAW VIDEO shows me this before playback
74.8Mb/s 73x3.1MB, 23.970/982p Expect 2417-10000 frames at 78.8Mb/s

Using this configuration I can continuously record with no problem at any light situation but after I playback the videos something weird happen. If I try to record again suddenly stops recording after a few seconds, then I go back and see the settings and show me this:
74.8Mb/s 73x3.1MB, 23.970/982p Expect 322-505 frames at 62.9Mb/s
until I restart the camera it solves the problem. But when I use the SD OVERLOCK at 192 Mhz this happen...

Settings B (192Mhz)
Data format: 14 bit (uncompressed)
SD OVERCLOCK: 192 Mhz

I can playback and record without any problem but it is no longer continuously record. It's about 1 min 10 sec of recording.

Other test results with different bit rate and Overclock
Data format: 12 bit | 10 bit (uncompressed)
SD overclock: 192 Mhz | 240 Mhz

Even if I restar the camera after changing every setting, I can't playback the videos with 12 bit uncompressed and 10 bit uncompressed, only black frames are played, but when I transfer to the computer I can see it and edit. I will not use it because for me it is important to preview the video and be sure it is ok. With the 14 bit, 14 bit lossess, 12 bit lossess and 11-8 bit lossess there is no problem with the playback.

In conclusion

SETTINGS A (240Mhz)
-I can record continuously at any Bit rate, but when I playback the videos I can't no longer record and I have to restart the camera to solved it.
-This configuration gives me more image quality.
-12 bit and 10 bit (UNCOMPRESSED CAN'T PLAYBACK)

SETTINGS B (192Mhz)
-Playback and record with no problems but less recording time depending of the bit rate used.
-This configuration gives me less image quality, a little of aliasing.
-12 bit and 10 bit (UNCOMPRESSED CAN'T PLAYBACK)

Notes:
-In the SETTING A (240Mhz) after playback, when I record and automatically stops recording the flushing buffer remains a longer time. (Maybe the problem is after the playback can't reset the memory and for that reason can only record a few frames.)
-In playback mode, when I select the videos with compression (14 ,12, 11-8) appear the same info. It shows "14 bpp LJ92" in each video with different bit rate.
-When I change the SD OVERCLOCK and restart the camera, do not update the frames that it can capture until start the first recording, after that it showns the real frames can be recorded. (Maybe this module have problems updating)
-I also use another SD card Lexar Professional SD 633x 128GB SDXC UHS-I 95Mb/s but the performance is inferior compare to the sandisk.

I will use the SETTINGS A (240Mhz) for a while and let you know for the results. And hope could be a fix whit recording after the playback in the future.

Thank you Levas for helping us with your hard work.

fred_76

Quote from: Levas on November 03, 2021, 02:19:19 PM
Concerning Magic lantern, 5d3 has bigger userbase / more developers and is therefore more updated compared to 6d.

Yes, but the 5d3 is not as good as the 6D in low light...

By the way, is it a big work to modify the ML intervalometer so that it could allow shooting at 1/10s step, instead of 1s step ?

All the best

Fred

GolemisOptics

New 6D user here! You guys rock!Using levas all in one I just managed to record 1824x1026p24 14bit continious on an old Remax 64gb card (it can do 65Mb/sec writes max)! That is pretty remarkable if you ask me!! Matching BRAW from my bmpcc4k and this footage seems to be very easy! I am planning to get a 256gb kingston canvas go (170mb/s read-90mb/s writes) for dedicated ML  usage. I really did not expect the footage to be this good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g9PhEccBfU

Levas

Quote from: fred_76 on December 16, 2021, 04:17:20 PM
By the way, is it a big work to modify the ML intervalometer so that it could allow shooting at 1/10s step, instead of 1s step ?

Not possible, hardware limitation, sensor readout and write speed not fast enough.
1/10s means 10 photos per second.
Canon 6d has a burst rate of 4.5 fps. One second divided by the burst rate ( 1s / 4.5fps ) is 1/22th second.
But even that is limited to the buffer, since the write speed (without UHS-speed hack module) is about 40MB/s.
Full resolution CR2 raw file from 6d are about ~25Mb, which means you can't write them quick enough to your SD card. It's limited to slightly less than 2 photos per second.

Other options to consider for 1/10s intervalmeter is raw video.
With magic lantern raw video and crop_rec module you can choose some high resolution crop options.
In the latest 6d build posted in this topic, there is a 4096x2304 at 10fps preset (so you're recording the 4096x2304 pixels in the middle(could be little of, not sure) of you're 5472x3648 sensor, so you have an crop factor of 1.33x)
Within the crop_rec submenu you can even choose to set shutter range from original to full range, which gives you the option to record in 10fps with a shutter time of 1/10th of a second.

Levas

Quote from: gonzzalo_b on November 13, 2021, 12:58:52 AM
I can't playback the videos with 12 bit uncompressed and 10 bit uncompressed, only black frames are played, but when I transfer to the computer I can see it and edit. I will not use it because for me it is important to preview the video and be sure it is ok.

This has probably to do with mlv_play module.
The 12 and 10 uncompressed are seen as obsolete, because 14 bit lossless compressed is about the same size as 10 bit uncompressed.
So... if you can choose to record 14 bit lossless compressed at the same data rate as 10 bit uncompressed, why bother using 10 bit uncompressed.
Needless to say 12 and 11-8 bit lossless compressed are even smaller in file size then 10 bit uncompressed.
If you really want playback to work with 12/10 bit uncompressed, you can try swapping the MLV_play module file on your card with some MLV_play modules from other builds, like the one on the download page of magiclantern site. This will probably work, but big chance you can't play back lossless compressed video files.

Notes:
-In the SETTING A (240Mhz) after playback, when I record and automatically stops recording the flushing buffer remains a longer time. (Maybe the problem is after the playback can't reset the memory and for that reason can only record a few frames.)

Did notice that recording times are different sometimes, not sure what it triggers, but as you point out, it probably has to do with playback.
I can imagine that the UHS-hack settings won't work after you did some reading on the sd card (which happens in playback).
absolutely no idea how to fix this, but luckiliy you know what not do, not use playback function, or restart camera after playback  :P

-In playback mode, when I select the videos with compression (14 ,12, 11-8) appear the same info. It shows "14 bpp LJ92" in each video with different bit rate.
-When I change the SD OVERCLOCK and restart the camera, do not update the frames that it can capture until start the first recording, after that it showns the real frames can be recorded. (Maybe this module have problems updating)

Yeah this is normal behaviour and makes sense, only if you know how it works.
The compression you choose, only alters the image to be recorded, it sort of cuts out some stops of highlight data (which can be seen in raw histogram).
When 12 bit is selected, it cuts of 2 stops of highlight data (one bit of info is one stop if image info), but the resulting data is still recorded in 14bpp LJ92 data format.
But since this format uses LJ92 lossless compression, it can compress the image a lot more because of the 2 stops of highlight data missing.
So your raw data stream is about 12 bit, but you camera file format records it in 14 bits, lossless compression sees that it's only 12 bit data, so lossless  compression factor is much higher/ more efficient).

Sténo

i tried this buid
  and he is just fantastic. it's really on point

I did a test in Raw fullhd mode (usable for filming) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Daot87dn6A

is there a 5.4K preset in 2.39 or 2.35?

the only 5k no crop preset being at 3X1 ratio (cinemarama) and unfortunately it is the only mode with corrupted images in the middle of the video

Frayfray

man i love the colors in that video did you grade it ?

Skinny

I agree, the colors a really nice! especially combined with full-frame look and 50mm

ML700D

I think it using LUT
try this IWLTBAP LUT.zip

I got from this link LUT Generator for free or download here
EOS 700D

Sténo

Quote from: Frayfray on February 12, 2022, 12:18:13 PM
man i love the colors in that video did you grade it ?

yes I have Graded the video using 2 luts

1 read to convert Le log to rec 709 and another that emulates kodak vision 3 film

I exported the Raw in prores 4444 with the arri profile alexa log C

Sténo

Quote from: Skinny on February 13, 2022, 08:37:24 PM
I agree, the colors a really nice! especially combined with full-frame look and 50mm

Thanks

exactly

I love the full frame look with a 50mm lens and a 16/9 or 1.85 ratio

Sténo

I find that 6d is one of the best options to use magic lantern

it is not as powerful as the 5d3 but it has the best sensor and the best image quality of the cameras with magic lantern (better than the 5D3) only the aliasing is lacking

i am using 3x3 1832x1030 mode
I do a slight upscale in full HD or 2K
I add between 45 and 55 sharpness
and i am using arri alexa log-c profile with mlv app

and i graded and cut with davinci resolve

the quality is amazing it looks like an arri mini LF but in full HD

here is another small test carried out in low light with the same lut (kodak vision 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc76bcP17Ko

ML700D

EOS 700D

zezic

Hi! Your ML build is amazing. I'm very happy with the 3x1 1632x2160 (upscaled to 4896x2160) crop mode!
Here are some night tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8co4A8qEU (85mm)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv0tsVG8oLU (50mm)

I want to know if it's possible to speed up the live view in this mode? It works absolutely OK for the static scenes, I'm even able to guess the focus distance from the preview. But, because of the extremely low and unstable framerate (about 2 FPS) it makes things hard to control when working with steadicam, display becomes to laggy for controlling the composition in realtime. Maybe it's possible to reduce the preview resolution even more to keep up with the framerate?

Levas

The preview is indeed very slow, unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to fiddle with the preview options in source code.
I made the custom resolutions for crop recording on the 6d, so learned a lot about the crop_rec module, but the rest of magic lantern source is like magic to me  :P

Canon liveview is broken in 4896x2160 crop rec option.
You could however use the 5496/3x1960 at 24 fps option in crop_rec menu.
5496/3x1960 has canon liveview working (although a bit squeezed and zoomed in)
Depending on your 'preview' setting in the submenu of raw recording, you could switch from Canon liveview to slow correct preview with half shutter (works while recording)

The way I would use it:
Use 5496/3x1960 at 24 fps in crop_rec menu.
Go to RAW video submenu (use Q button on RAW video in the MOVIE tab in ML menu.
Set resolution lower to get desired resolution/aspect ratio, you can use scroll wheel on top of your DSLR to set it (for example) from 1824x1960 to 1568x1960 to get 4704x1960 at 24 fps (2.4:1 aspect ratio).
Now go to preview option and set it to 'real-time'.
Now exit menu and you will see some distorted canon liveview which is as fast as Canon liveview, although not correctly framed, but if you do half press the shutter button, the correct framing preview shows up  :D
So use half shutter to get framing right, release half shutter to set focus right and keep track of your subject. While recording, you can check framing by using half shutter press.
So that's the most usable way I found, using real-time preview and occasionally using half shutter press to check framing.

zezic

Quote from: Levas on March 13, 2022, 07:35:52 PM
You could however use the 5496/3x1960 at 24 fps option in crop_rec menu.
Oh, it works! This squashed view is totally fine for me. But, I got data corruption to often. It's almost impossible to get even a few seconds of clean recording without data corruption at 1960px vertical resolution. The 1872px vertical resolution is more stable, but data corruption is also happens sometimes, you can notice few flickers: https://youtu.be/pKkrqyrQykA (sorry, handheld shaky video).
Can you suggest something to lower the chance of the data corruptions? The benchmark shows that my card is able to do ~90MB/s (with 240MHz overclock, of course).