Levas' crop_rec_4k experiments for 6D

Started by Levas, December 01, 2019, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

pteichner

Thanks for the reply, I've got it down and with the UHS override at 240MHz I get around 71MB/s instead 39MB/s. Also thank you for all you hard work.

I've got a few questions:

• The option for going higher resolution like 2.5K is still greyed out in RAW mode can I use it with crop mode + raw together?
  • I'm using the compressed 12bit at 1824x616 whilst set the Canon menu to 720/50 FPS...how can you get 60FPS?
  • Has anyone got a nice LUT for RAW that can be shared?

Levas

About question 1:
You need crop mode for that.
Enable the crop_rec module in the module tab.
When it is enabled there should be a crop_mode option in  the Raw video tab.
In the crop_mode menu, you can set your desired resolution (for example 2880 x 1200)
After that, you should be able to get the higher resolution in raw video menu (where you set resolution and aspect ratio etc.).
Note: the standard compressed 12 bit is not available with crop_rec module, you must select 14 bit compressed raw option in raw video menu.
BUT there is a way to get 12 bit compressed, but you have to select this option in the submenu (Q button) of Crop_rec menu.
:P It's all a bit fidly and not very intuitive, but once you know how it works all is fine  8)
Note 2:
FPS override and other options that mess with fps aren't available/working with crop_rec options. Crop_rec options have fixed fps.

Question 2:
For normal 720/60 you need to switch to NTSC in Canon video menu. (PAL setting gives you 720/50fps and NTSC setting gives you 720/60fps).
So not a magic lantern setting, but a setting in the normal Canon menu system (you must be in video mode to see video options in Canon menu).

Question 3:
No idea, I don't use LUT's :P

pteichner

Thanks

It is a bit fiddly to say the least, but it does things that would have never been possible before. The crop modes are not easy because you do lose a fair amount of the view, but it does things that it wouldn't have otherwise.

Any idea of crop_mode2?

Levas

Not sure what you mean with your last question ?

Any idea of crop_mode2?

What works for me for crop_mode is to go to raw video menu tab and then inside raw video options I choose preview option -> real-time.
This gives me 5x zoom Canon liveview in the high resolution modes.
Now the only problem is framing, to check framing, use half-press on the shutter button. When doing half shutter press, you'll see the actual framing (although a bit slow fps).
You can even do half shutter once in a while, while recording, to check framing.

swordsmasterxii

Hi Guys. I just want to share the music video I made shot entirely with Canon 6D Magic Lantern Raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJ_Zb8dIRM

I want to thank all of you guys responsible for developing this build and making our old camera still awesome. I have this camera for 7 years and with what it can do, I'm not planning to replace it anytime soon. :)

mineralof

Quote from: swordsmasterxii on November 26, 2020, 06:07:48 AM
Hi Guys. I just want to share the music video I made shot entirely with Canon 6D Magic Lantern Raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJ_Zb8dIRM

I want to thank all of you guys responsible for developing this build and making our old camera still awesome. I have this camera for 7 years and with what it can do, I'm not planning to replace it anytime soon. :)
ะบ

Wow.
excellent!  how about moore and alias?  Where are they?

swordsmasterxii

Thanks. There isn't much aliasing when shooting in large apertures. Though I still have to figure out how to minimize black clipping in YT. It was ok in the OG file but YT compresses it too much.

c_joerg

This is the first time I've had a crash with ML on my 6D while using the Advanced Bracket.
I haven't used the function before.
My version is a bit older. Should I update something first?

ML ASSERT:
at ../../src/raw.c:611 (raw_lv_realloc_buffer), task livev_hiprio_task
lv:0 mode:3

livev_hiprio_task stack: 2086c0 [208838-204838]
0x0048F7E0 @ 487934:208720
0x0048F750 @ 48f840:208718
0x0048D1DC @ 48f780:208710
0x0044C9F4 @ 48d37c:2086f0
0x0044C478 @ 44ca50:2086c0

Magic Lantern version : lua_fix.2018Sep17.6D116
Mercurial changeset   : 0040e6ccea8d (lua_fix) tip
Built on 2018-09-17 16:45:37 UTC by jenkins@nightly.
Free Memory  : 384K + 1895K
EOS R

a1ex

No improvements expected in newer builds regarding this issue. Can you find a way to reproduce it?

Seems to be a race condition between LiveView and still photo mode.

c_joerg

Quote from: a1ex on January 02, 2021, 03:37:16 PM
Can you find a way to reproduce it?
Not always...
I used LV in M Mode and continuous shooting s.
I look like, it is only happening with Frame Autodetect. If I change to 7 Frames, I haven't seen it until now.

The memory differs at last crash
Free Memory  :  381K + 1889K

EOS R

GregSmack

Hey there,

I updated to the latest build from here and when I start my 6D a message appears in the bottom screen saying:
"tcc: error: undefined symbol 'raw_force_aspect_ratio_1to1'
[E] failed to link modules
updating Movie Tweaks -> Movie Logging

I Can not load any modules, what is happening?

EDIT: when I turn off mlv_rec it does not show an error but this way I can not use RAW mode. What is the sollution to this?

GregSmack

Hey! I am using a Canon 6D withe the latest build for it and I have a few questions:
1)  I tried to use the 1x3 preset "5496x1960". When reviewing it at home the video looks not sharp and kinda blurry. Any ideas why this happens?
2) When I shoot in 1x1 with 5x crop i can get a resolution of 2560x1440. I need to upscale this but which is the best way to do this?
3) When I am trying to shoot in 1x3 I can choose the preset "4896x2160" but then there are only magenta, pink lines across the Live View. Any ideas why?

Thanks for your help!

Levas

Sorry for the late reply  :D

QuoteEDIT: when I turn off mlv_rec it does not show an error but this way I can not use RAW mode. What is the sollution to this?
For raw recording you either use mlv_rec or mlv_lite, you can't use them both.
mlv_lite supports lossless compression, so use of mlv_lite is advised. So best to not enable mlv_rec module.

Quote1)  I tried to use the 1x3 preset "5496x1960". When reviewing it at home the video looks not sharp and kinda blurry. Any ideas why this happens?
The 1x3 presets are not supersharp, the reason, the data is not saved as 5496x1960 but as 1832x1960 resolution. The sensor does horizontal pixelbinning, 3 pixels become one.
So the sensor does really readout 5496x1960 in pixels, but passes this data on as (5496/3 pixelbinning)= 1832 horizontal pixels x 1960 vertical pixels.
In post, for example in MLV_App, these 1832 horizontal pixels are stretched to the original 5496 pixels for normal aspect ratio.
So 1x3 is not as sharp as you would expect from the resulting resolution, because some trickery is used that is available at hardware level of the Canon camera.

Quote2) When I shoot in 1x1 with 5x crop i can get a resolution of 2560x1440. I need to upscale this but which is the best way to do this?
In my experience the free software, DaVinci Resolve from Blackmagic does a really good job for upscaling video. (for free, download the normal version, the studio version is the paid one)
It's not that intuitive to use, but there are a lot of tutorials availabe on youtube.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Quote3) When I am trying to shoot in 1x3 I can choose the preset "4896x2160" but then there are only magenta, pink lines across the Live View. Any ideas why? 
Unfortunately, this is normal  :P 
I couldn't get normal liveview to work in this mode, you could however use ML preview to see what the recording will be like.
You can choose different preview options in the 'RAW video' submenu. It's on the MOVIE tab of Magic lantern menu, highlight the 'RAW video' option and press Q button on camera.
Now the 4th option from above should show Preview, here you can set the option from 'real-time' to 'framing', whith the option framing selected, you should see a low resolution preview of your liveview (it's a little slow in FPS).
Another option, you could switch to 'framing' by doing a half press on the shutter button, while doing half press, you should see a preview.
I like this option, I use the half press to check the framing, and press record button, you can even do half press of the shutter button while filming, to check the framing.

GregSmack

Quote from: Levas on March 04, 2021, 04:39:43 PM
Sorry for the late reply  :D
For raw recording you either use mlv_rec or mlv_lite, you can't use them both.
mlv_lite supports lossless compression, so use of mlv_lite is advised. So best to not enable mlv_rec module.
The 1x3 presets are not supersharp, the reason, the data is not saved as 5496x1960 but as 1832x1960 resolution. The sensor does horizontal pixelbinning, 3 pixels become one.
So the sensor does really readout 5496x1960 in pixels, but passes this data on as (5496/3 pixelbinning)= 1832 horizontal pixels x 1960 vertical pixels.
In post, for example in MLV_App, these 1832 horizontal pixels are stretched to the original 5496 pixels for normal aspect ratio.
So 1x3 is not as sharp as you would expect from the resulting resolution, because some trickery is used that is available at hardware level of the Canon camera.
In my experience the free software, DaVinci Resolve from Blackmagic does a really good job for upscaling video. (for free, download the normal version, the studio version is the paid one)
It's not that intuitive to use, but there are a lot of tutorials availabe on youtube.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
Unfortunately, this is normal  :P 
I couldn't get normal liveview to work in this mode, you could however use ML preview to see what the recording will be like.
You can choose different preview options in the 'RAW video' submenu. It's on the MOVIE tab of Magic lantern menu, highlight the 'RAW video' option and press Q button on camera.
Now the 4th option from above should show Preview, here you can set the option from 'real-time' to 'framing', whith the option framing selected, you should see a low resolution preview of your liveview (it's a little slow in FPS).
Another option, you could switch to 'framing' by doing a half press on the shutter button, while doing half press, you should see a preview.
I like this option, I use the half press to check the framing, and press record button, you can even do half press of the shutter button while filming, to check the framing.

Thank you for the great informations! :)
I will stick to 2K resolution then :D
I will also give DavinciResolve a try!

camiloac

Hello, I am new to ML so please show mercy if my questions are dumb. I've read as much as I can but I'm still confused.

1. I have a 6D and I am interested in filming in continous RAW. Is there some way to have my Live View while recording be exactly what is being recorded in order to see the exact composition ? Possible to do in 4K, 2K or 1080p? Is 1080p possible? or is buying a wide angle lens the only option?

2. Does the video resolution affect the dynamic range or graphic quality of the image (not the resolution) of the image or can I just shoot in 1080p instead of 4K and later upscale ? I'm referring to the dynamic range, color, contrast, etc.

Levas

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Point 1, yes that is possible, but not for higher resolution options in crop_recording.
           -So if you want normal liveview with exact composition, max resolution is 1824x1026 (the same resolution Canon uses for normal 1080p mov recording)
BUT
There is one thing though, for continuous raw recording you need more.
You need the SD_UHS module activated (available in the latest build for 6d in this forum) and a SD card that can handle the write speed needed.
Your card must be able to have a write speed of about 90Mb/s. Not all cards have the ability to write at ~90Mb/s.
The Sandisk extreme pro UHS-I U3 V30 170MB/S series give good results. (you don't need to buy the Sandisk extreme pro UHS II SDXC 300MB/S series, the 6d can't make use of the extra speed UHS II gives)
Also the older, but maybe still available, sandisk extreme pro UHS-I U3 95MB/S are also good.
You can search the forum for SD_UHS module and which cards work and which not, but the Sandisk extreme pro with either 95Mb/s or 170Mb/s on the label should certainly work.

If you have the above you should be able to have continuous raw recording:
1824x1026x 14 bit lossless compressed raw, for 24 and 25 frames per second, 30 fps might work, but the write speed needed might just be too much, but you could always step back to 12 bit lossless raw recording if you need 30 fps to be continuous.

Point 2:

Dynamic range/noise/color is best in normal 1824x1026 resolution mode (not crop or 5x zoom mode).
This because horizontal pixelbinning is done in this mode (the 1824 horizontal pixels are actually 5472 pixels read and pixelbinned to 1824, so each pixel is actually combined info from 3 pixels)
The crop and high resolution modes have less little less quality (dynamic range/noise/color) since there is no pixelbinning happening, but this is mostly noticable when high iso is used, I doubt if you experience any difference up to iso 800.

calintwf

Hi Levas,

I've used ML before, now it's time to install it on 6D. There are so many builds.... it is confusing!
- Which one is the most stabile?
- Is there a table with versions and pluses/minuses for each build?

We need some order here ;-)

Thanks, man!

Walter Schulz

Levas

@calintwf, sorry for the late reply  :P

About builds for ML, there are roughly three build options:

normal nightly build on the ML downloadpage https://builds.magiclantern.fm
Experimental builds, best for 6d is the croprec4K build https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html
And there is the custom build for 6d, which is basically the croprec4K build from the experimental builds page, but with added resolutions options for the crop rec module and the SD_UHS speed hack module.

-Nightly build from downloadpage
probably most stable build, but lacks many for raw video options like 10/12 bit raw video (only 14 bits) and lacks lossless raw recording for raw video.

-experimental croprec4k build from ML downloadpage:
In this build the lossless raw recording is added, as well as lower bit recording options in lossless.

-custom build.
Link to latest build for 6d(https://drive.google.com/file/d/128mnuStzJcuCa71pmnPl6XOuwVB_LNKr/view?usp=sharing) as seen on this site Walter posted https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/reddit:progress_bar

Most interesting build available for 6d, if you're going for raw video, the custom builds are the only ones with SD_UHS speed hack module in it.
This improves the write speed, so raw video in normal modes becomes continuous, even in 14 bit lossless.
Probably even continuous in 14 bit lossless in full 1824x1216 (3:2 whole sensor view).
You need SD card that can handle those speeds and is compatible with the camera (Sandisk extreme pro with 95mb/s or 170mb/s on the labels)

Also, there is a whole lot of more options in crop_rec module menu. for example 2880x1200@25 fps or 2560x1440@24fps.

Furthermore, the dual iso module works in this custom build for photo and video, not sure if dual-iso works in the two other builds.

tohenoeno

I'm trying to using the Canon 6D with
magiclantern-Nightly.2020Jul16.6D116 version.

And using my Atem mini pro connects with 6D.

Is there any solution to get a clean HDMI out? at the moment no matter what I do, the frame stays cropped at 18xx not 1920*1080.
I only need the live view of 1920*1080 in order to make this 6D camera stand by and becomes a livestream camera. Not need to press the record. The liveview is fine.

swordsmasterxii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdU7ZIIVuE

Color grading samples with MLV Raw. I've made a few short films fully shot with 6D Magic Lantern Raw. Will share it as soon as it's posted in YT. Thanks to the people behind developing the ML for 6D.

wagamama

Hi guys, can anyone let me know if it's possible to shoot at 1824x776 (2.35:1) but at 48fps?

I like the cinematic look of 2.35:1 when shooting at 24fps but want some slow motion sections too and can't seem to match the frame size even if I do 16:9 with 48fps override (I have the sd overclock on too). the closest I can get is 1824x616 (at 16:9).

Is there any resolutions > 720p that are the same at both 24 and 48fps with some combination of resolution and aspect ratio? And is there any way to save presets like this too so I am not having to constantly try and unlock and switch fps/resolution?

Thanks for any help!

swordsmasterxii

Levas

Yes, there is a preset in crop module for 1824x904 at 48 fps (which can be used to record 1824x776 resolution, which can be set in raw video menu)

It's under the 720p presets and must be used with the camera set in 720p video mode in Canon menu. These high fps modes won't work in normal 1080p mode, camera freezes and you need to do a battery pull ;)

Edit:
Not sure if this works, but to prevent switching between canon 720/1080 p modes, you could try to use 1824x904@48fps preset in 720p mode (with aspect ratio set to desired 2:35 in raw video menu to get 1824x776)
Once you want 24fps, try using fps override to see if you can get 24 fps instead of 48 fps.
Fps override is easy to switch on an off to get 24 or 48 fps.