Levas' crop_rec_4k experiments for 6D

Started by Levas, December 01, 2019, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Quote from: swordsmasterxii on September 13, 2020, 10:05:46 AM
What is the fastest your 6D can do with SD overclock? I have the Sandisk 170mb and it can only do around 60mb/s . I saw someone posted in facebook a 650D making around 90mb

With that card I would expect higher speeds possible. I have a 128GB Sandisk 170mb card and it does around ~80Mb/s with the 240Mhz option setting.

But at what resolution setting are you recording, you might be in a video mode that is not data heavy. Normal 1824x1026 video mode doesn't need more speed then ~60Mb/s. So could be that your card can handle more, but your resolution setting doesn't require more speed.

Levas

IMPORTANT INFO:

Find out about a problem with the 2880x1200 at 25 fps preset.
If the foxus box is moved with the cursor arrows, you might get corrupted frames.
When the focus box is dead center, all works well. But if it is slightly moved around, it might cause corrupted frames.
You can see it in the behaviour of the real-time Canon live view. If your focus box is in a wrong place, liveview gets sluggish/jittery.
If you move the focus box around to a place where liveview is normal again, things are probably fine agian. (works for me).

Haven't noticed this behaviour at other presets.

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Levas on September 16, 2020, 10:32:11 AM
IMPORTANT INFO:

Find out about a problem with the 2880x1200 at 25 fps preset.
If the foxus box is moved with the cursor arrows, you might get corrupted frames.
When the focus box is dead center, all works well. But if it is slightly moved around, it might cause corrupted frames.
You can see it in the behaviour of the real-time Canon live view. If your focus box is in a wrong place, liveview gets sluggish/jittery.
If you move the focus box around to a place where liveview is normal again, things are probably fine agian. (works for me).

Haven't noticed this behaviour at other presets.

This also happens on the 5D2 3.5K preset!!!!!! I noticed this a few weeks ago.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

swordsmasterxii

Quote from: Levas on September 16, 2020, 10:22:23 AM
With that card I would expect higher speeds possible. I have a 128GB Sandisk 170mb card and it does around ~80Mb/s with the 240Mhz option setting.

But at what resolution setting are you recording, you might be in a video mode that is not data heavy. Normal 1824x1026 video mode doesn't need more speed then ~60Mb/s. So could be that your card can handle more, but your resolution setting doesn't require more speed.

Thanks. I don't know that there is an option to change Mhz. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

For N.S.

hey ,i sometimes get corrupted frames on 6D when i shot by 2480x1396 dual iso,or other high resolution,what is going wrong? when i get corruption frames,it said "data corruption at slot "number", frame "number" "

alexboum

Hello Levas,

I just try the last build magiclantern-Nightly.2020Jul08.6D116 and when I click SET button in the crop-rec menu on the advanced option nothing happen(but I don't really need it, it's just to report you the issue).
I also try sd overclock 240MHz and now my SanDisk extreme pro170/MBs card is able to handle the crop_rep preset continus (test only for 3min but it's enought for my use) 8).

Levas

Quote from: alexboum on September 27, 2020, 09:16:04 PM
when I click SET button in the crop-rec menu

You need to press the "Q" button for the sub menu.
Edit: oh wait I didn't get it right:

You're right, the advanced menu is empty, I moved the interesting options to normal menu and removed the others.
Most of the others were used for eos-m, so not working or implemented for 6d.

Levas

Quote from: For N.S. on September 26, 2020, 05:02:45 AM
hey ,i sometimes get corrupted frames on 6D when i shot by 2480x1396 dual iso,or other high resolution,what is going wrong? when i get corruption frames,it said "data corruption at slot "number", frame "number" "

Yeah happens sometimes, 2480x1396 is at the edge of what is possible. Most of the times it work, sometimes you get 2 corrupted frames at the beginning.
The mlv clips are fine if I have that message, but if it stops recording earlier it's annoying.

I probably can make a preset that has some more headroom for the camera and will always work perfect, like 2400x1350 or something.

For N.S.

Sorry to say,i almost got corruption frames in high resolution,not just got these at the beginning but all the time.I try to setup different version ML,and the problem doesn't disappear

Walter Schulz

Card in use and benchmark numbers (PC and cam)? Tried different ones?
Build used?
Settings used?
Which is the lowest resolution/bit depth/frame rate without corrupted frames?

Levas

Quote from: For N.S. on October 07, 2020, 06:04:50 PM
Sorry to say,i almost got corruption frames in high resolution,not just got these at the beginning but all the time.I try to setup different version ML,and the problem doesn't disappear

Can you upload/share an example mlv file or frame, just a short clip with corrupted frames ?
That way we can see what's going on and how your corrupted frames look like.

Could have multiple causes, to name a few.
-The software you are using to view/edit the mlv's (is it up to date to handle lossless compression?)
-The focus box (white rectangle on your camera screen during liveview in 1x zoom mode) is not in the center. This causes corrupted frames where a large portion of the frame is stuck/frozen and not updated.

For N.S.

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 07, 2020, 06:19:42 PM
Card in use and benchmark numbers (PC and cam)? Tried different ones?
Build used?
Settings used?
Which is the lowest resolution/bit depth/frame rate without corrupted frames?
Quote from: Levas on October 08, 2020, 09:05:50 AM
Can you upload/share an example mlv file or frame, just a short clip with corrupted frames ?
That way we can see what's going on and how your corrupted frames look like.

Could have multiple causes, to name a few.
-The software you are using to view/edit the mlv's (is it up to date to handle lossless compression?)
-The focus box (white rectangle on your camera screen during liveview in 1x zoom mode) is not in the center. This causes corrupted frames where a large portion of the frame is stuck/frozen and not updated.

Please forgive me,i don't know how upload pictures so i upload to google drive.

I use the lastest mlvapp and reset the focus box ,but problems still can not be fixed.Here are some pictures,i hope they can give you some information available for reference.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zgGmLc3r9LtzTNBZAgAo8DvLMuH5kGEt?usp=sharing

01:this is the result of quick R/W benchmark (1 min) of card benchmarks.
02:this is the result of buffer R/W benchmark (5 min) of card benchmarks.
03:this is the result of memory benchmark(1 min) of memory benchmark.
04:I can get perfect files if the resolution is 1840*1036,but when i go to high resolution,i almost get these frames even no fault remind on the display when i am recording.In other words,it looks good on the display when i am recording some high resolution but the playback is bad.
05:This also happened when I recorded high resolution but it was different from 04.

The strange thing is that I used this version without any major problems. The latest version has the problem. Now I have downgraded the version, but the problem has been following me.Is there a problem with the machine? That's really uncomfortable. Hope to help me, thanks

Levas

In the last picture you uploaded, I notice the fps  = 24.833
That's not good, it should be 24.992 fps.

So my first guess is, you have some other magic lantern option enabled that messes with fps.

Do you have 'fps override' in use ?
Or maybe 'image fine-tuning' option ( shuttertime fine-tuning ) ?

The fps value in 2880x1200 should normally be 24.992 fps.

Also, try pressing the info button on the camera until you see ML overlays/information on screen. And use option 'ML Preview' option in raw video submenu. This way you can see a preview of your framing. Is this preview normal or also corrupt ?

For N.S.

Ok,i I did what you said and fixed my problem greatly.First,I turned off 'fps override' but  there were some corrupt frames in some resolution options,second,i changed option from real time to frame in 'ML Preview' option in raw video submenu,then,all Resolution options could be used with much less corrupt frames.Thanks for teaching!!

alt1

Is there any difference for ML builds in cameras version-  6d (N) or 6d (WG) ? Any of these cameras can use ML builds?

alt1

Can I return to firmware 1.1.6 from the newest one 1.1.9 ?

Levas

Quote from: alt1 on October 18, 2020, 12:40:24 PM
Is there any difference for ML builds in cameras version-  6d (N) or 6d (WG) ? Any of these cameras can use ML builds?

Not sure, but as far as I know they run normal firmware.
So if they run on canon 6d firmware 1.1.6 you can use ML build for 6d.

Levas

Quote from: alt1 on October 18, 2020, 03:19:19 PM
Can I return to firmware 1.1.6 from the newest one 1.1.9 ?

Never tried it myself but it should be possible, check out this topic for instructions
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18941.0

You must have the official canon firmware 1.1.6 upgrade file to be able to go back to 1.1.6.
As far as I know, it's not available anymore on Canon's website.
If you need it, it's on the nightly builds downloadpage for 6d.
https://web.archive.org/web/pel.hu/down/eos6d-v116-win.zip

mineralof

for canon 6d there is a croprec new module like in 700d?

alt1

Can I control video with smartphone through WIFI while recording raw video on 6D? There is manual focusing in programm named "Camera Connect". It is so called " focus pulling". It is interesting when camera is on the gimbal

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: mineralof on October 19, 2020, 10:39:49 PM
for canon 6d there is a croprec new module like in 700d?

Nope, it's only ported for 700D and recently for 650D (very identical cameras), it's not that hard I think to make it work on 6D too, but it needs some more code adjustments.

mineralof

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 20, 2020, 02:38:30 PM
Nope, it's only ported for 700D and recently for 650D (very identical cameras), it's not that hard I think to make it work on 6D too, but it needs some more code adjustments.
it would be great.  especially shooting without aliasing.  and correct viewing x5 mode

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: mineralof on October 20, 2020, 08:40:35 PM
it would be great.  especially shooting without aliasing.  and correct viewing x5 mode

If you mean the real-time correct previews, well, this maybe would be hard to port it on 6D, it took me nearly 3 weeks to figure it out on 700D, on 6D it *might* be easy (similar to 700D) or even harder, no one have tried so I am not quite sure.

But shooting in 1x3 Binning mode without aliasing on 6D is already there in Levas builds, but with stretched preview.

mineralof

Thank you Bilal, Levas and ML developers.  You are geniuses!  Always looking forward to your discoveries.

pteichner