Levas' crop_rec_4k experiments for 6D

Started by Levas, December 01, 2019, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mineralof

good work Levas! Thank. Presets work. Overclocking the card showed the best results at 240MHz. I noticed a flickering screen when playing a video with a high frame rate on the camera screen. there are no artifacts in postprocessing. Special thanks for the 1024x634 mode at 50fps. Tell me. Where to look for the crop mode 1824x818 50 frames per second? there is a feeling that he is one of the best.

Contra8bit

Tried new 720p presets.
1704x958
1672x940
and 3 bottom in the list not displayed in live view (there artifacts), but record works fine.
And If you turn off the camera, applied 1824x904 48fps by default.
Also with shutter value set to 'full range' shutter speed works fine. Thank you!

sparvier

Hi everybody!

I own a Canon EOS 6D and a couple of months ago installed Magic Lantern.

I discovered a Whole New World!!! Thank you to all guys at Magic Lantern and to @Levas for your incredible work!

There are a lot of things I still don't understand very well but...

this morning I managed to get stable 1920x1038 pixel in 1:1 crop with Nightly.2020Jul05.6D116 (in the meanwhile another nightly build was out...) and without using sd hack.

Thank you again: I'll report errors if I find them!

Levas

There are a few high speed presets in 1:1 pixel readout presets, all presets in here don't use pixelbinning or lineskipping.
Although there is no 50fps one in there at the moment, there are 48 and 60fps presets in there, if you want to see how the quality is.

And If you turn off the camera, applied 1824x904 48fps by default.

Oh wait, this preset choice isn't saved when camera is switched off, easy fix for the next build.

Important, I also found out that the 2596x1404@25fps preset has corrupted frames through the whole recording  ??? never noticed it in previously build, so have to look at that.
So be sure to check your favorite presets, before using it for important recordings  :P

Levas

New build, small fixes
https://drive.google.com/file/d/128mnuStzJcuCa71pmnPl6XOuwVB_LNKr/view?usp=sharing

Found what was wrong with the 1:1 2496x1404@25fps preset (head 4 timer wasn't set, so stayed at last used preset setting or at startup at Canon setting).
So fixed, and lowered resolution to 2480x1396@25fps to have some more headroom.
And 720p preset choice is saved when camera is switched off, just like the other settings.

Contra8bit

Is there possibility for 1 (0.5, 0.25, etc) fps preset for timelapse? Can't find one or working with FPS override function. EOS M has that thing  :)

yourboylloyd

Do you have the fps optimized for low light?
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Contra8bit

Quote from: yourboylloyd on July 17, 2020, 07:05:47 PM
Do you have the fps optimized for low light?
No, I set Exact FPS. Seems it works in optimized for low light mode. Thanks!
Still  I can't figure how to change exposure in low fps. There are lot of hot pixels with long exposure.

later
And now tried high resolution crop modes (3840 x 1920), preview isn't work (even without FPS override). Don't figure what I did wrong.

shhd

Hello all
Please help me choose
I decided to buy 5Diii or 6D
I am interested in the video more than the pictures
6D has a continuous focus while 5D iii does not have a continuous focus
Does the continuous focus work on ML
I ask those with knowledge and experience to help me make a decision because I do not know how these cameras handle ML
I apologize if the place is wrong
I just wanted the owners of the camera to help me so I wrote here

xpose

Neither the 6d nor the 5d mk III have AF in video mode, if that's what you mean by continuous focus.

Contra8bit

6D haven't continuous focus for video at all. Its not dual pixel model
As I know, 5dm3 better cause it has build in aliasing filter and other stuff. Look here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16cgnRivbUv7nA9PUlCLmLdir3gXdIN3pqzCNAAybepc/edit#gid=5
btw comparison not 100% actual. Info about write speed, max resolution continuous etc. 6d can record 60+mb/s, 24fps non stop in max resolution or 60fps 2.39:1 CONTINUOUS not problem at all.

David_Hugh

Quote from: Levas on July 08, 2020, 12:38:34 PM
There will still be skipping lines, but the mode is the same as normal 1824x1026 raw recording. (3x3 (horizontal binning, vertical lineskipping, no stretching needed)
For absolutely no lineskipping and pixelbinning, you should try the 48fps preset that is in the 1:1 pixel readout crop preset.
There is a preset in there 1840x908 @ 48 fps (no need to switch camera to 720p mode) only caveat, crop factor is about 3x.
So your 35 mm lens will become about 100 mm  :P

I'm working at a new structure for high fps modes.
The same like I did for 1:1 and 3:1 readout presets.
I want to have all fast fps under one preset, with resolution and fps options in a submenu.
This way I could easily add more fast fps presets, like 48/50/60 fps options and also max resolution in 40fps etc.

But isn't the 720p mode much nicer to begin with in terms of moire and aliasing? Could this preset be tuned to 24/25 fps in theory, or is that too low to be stable?

Awesome work on the new presets by the way!

WeakestLinkForNow

Time to ask.

5d mk iii vs 6d in terms of sharpness using the same lens...which one is better?

In 5dm3 is there 14bit in 3.5k mode and do I need a monitor to not see purple lines on the camera screen?
In 6d is there 14 above 2.5k mode?

Levas

Quote from: David_Hugh on August 06, 2020, 10:55:31 PM
But isn't the 720p mode much nicer to begin with in terms of moire and aliasing? Could this preset be tuned to 24/25 fps in theory, or is that too low to be stable?

Standard 720p mode could be tuned to 24/25 fps (you could use fps override option to achieve that I guess, never tried it myself though  ???)
Standard 720p mode, as Canon implemented it, has more aliasing and moire as 1080p mode.
In 720p mode it only reads every 5th horizontal line of the sensor.
So it reads a full horizontal line of pixels, and then skips 4 horizontal lines and repeat.
In 1080p mode it reads every 3th horizontal line of the sensor.
So it reads a full horizontal line of pixels, and then skips 2 horizontal lines and repeat.

The skipping of horizontal lines, so not reading them, causes the moire and aliasing. Since 720p mode from Canon skips more horizontal lines (4 instead of 2) it has more moise/aliasing as normal 1080p mode.
The 720p modes in the crop_rec module for 6D are skipping only 2 horizontal lines, so moire/aliasing is the same as 1080p mode.

Levas

Quote from: WeakestLinkForNow on August 08, 2020, 08:34:37 AM
5d mk iii vs 6d in terms of sharpness using the same lens...which one is better?
In 5dm3 is there 14bit in 3.5k mode and do I need a monitor to not see purple lines on the camera screen?
In 6d is there 14 above 2.5k mode?

Not sure, but I guess there is no notable difference in sharpness between the 5d3 and the 6d.
But since the 5d3 can record at 24/25fps in higher resolutions compared to the 6d, you could achieve a more detailed image with the 5d3
Max resolution for 25fps on 6d is 2880x1200 (1:2.4 aspect ratio) or 3072x1152 (1:2.67 aspect ratio) so not as high as the 3.5K the 5d3 can do.

You can't do continuous recording on the 6d in these 2880x1200 or 3072x1152 modes in 14 bit.
You need to go down to 10/12bit for that and then you still need a fast SD card and make use of the sd_uhs module implemented in the 6d build to achieve this.

There is no normal working liveview with the correct framing in these high resolution options (both 5d3 and 6d).
You can enable a correct framing preview in Magic-lantern, but it has less fps and is lower resolution compared to the liveview you normally would have.

Not sure why your asking this, do you have on of these cameras or are you looking for one ?
Because in that case, if you want to use Magic Lantern for all the nice video options, the 5d3 is the best camera you can get, 5d3 has the most options, higher resolution in crop mode, better out of the box write speed on the CF card and more.

sparvier

Hi, everybody.

I had many problems with magiclantern-Nightly.2020Jul05.6D116.

I decided to format my card and re-install the latest version (Nightly.2020Jul16.6D116) from scratch and most of the problems disappeared!

With this version, with SD Overclok set to 160 Mhz,  I get incredibly fast results in benchmarks (Write Speed: 85 MB/s  Read Speed: 90 MB/s) in Photo Mode: though in Liveview speed is lower (about 70 MB/s for Write), in Photo Mode I get almost continous shooting in RAW! Magic Lantern gave a first class burst mode to my old 6D!!

Now I have some questions:

1) Horizontal max Res

The 2688 horizontal res limit in crop mode is hardware-related or is speed-related? Otherwise: is it possible - in liveview - to shoot continous RAW frames as in photo mode to get a full res video (even with low fps)?

2) Framing in Crop Mode

In crop mode the "problem" is framing

If RAW Video -> Preview is set to Real-time, framing is not accurate (Why?)

If RAW Video -> Preview is set to Framing, Framing is OK but not real time (and seems CPU intensive: if there's fast panning during recording, often recording stops...)

Wouldn't be possible to have a Crop Rec Mode with Real Time Liveview where the Exact Framing is showed in Overlay?
I mean: the liveview shows the whole scene (not cropped, not zoomed) and the crop is showed by a rectangle.
Wouldn't it be possible? Or the crop-mode is strictly related to zoom mode in the Liveview?

Thanks for all your work!

andrule

Hey everyone, been boning up on 6d ML via this thread for a couple weeks now. Tinkering with raw I've been getting 10-20 seconds of full sensor slightly sub 1080p at 12-bit raw lossless and will be grabbing my sandisk pro cards from studio to see if I can get continuous recording that way with the sd overclock.

My main question is why is there less latitude in Davinci resolve working with dng lossless then there is with working with ACR with the dngs coming out of MLV app (the dngs coming from MLV app go into resolve too, for clarity)? I feel like I'm working on a raw photo when I work on a single frame in ACR but in Davinci it starts to fall apart or go haywire way faster. I almost want to figure out the old method of converting the footage via lightroom or ACR rather than using davinci or mlv app for grading. One thing that sticks out the most is the pink over exposed highlight issue is way less pronounced when working with ACR (even when comparing to working with the source MLV files in MLV app). I really feel like I can process the dngs into something clean in ACR but it doesn't seem possible in Davinci... Any insights on this?

I'm sure this belongs elsewhere but the forum is confusing at the moment for me so I'm sticking to this thread. You guys are great by the way! Levas and Danne amazing that you guys are as dedicated as you are. It's super cool.

kromi

Hi,
I've a Canon 6D with firmware 1.1.7. Can I install Magic Lantern? or I've to downgrade to fw:1.1.6?
Wich version of ML?

HanZ

Hi Levas. I'm new here and just recently experimenting with ML. Currently using your latest build and i'm loving it. Thank you for your work man.

So far everything works as what you have mentioned. Just would like to ask, is the current build supporting h264 proxy recording? I'm experimenting the h264 proxy setting with 12bit lossless (SD overclock to 160mhz), and it crash with error 70. Just wanna know whether this is supposedly a usable setting, or just 6D limitation that can't handle this setting?

Really appreciate your feedback and thanks again for your great work!

P/s: Just a wish request if you wouldn't mind, if possible to have 4k/5k timelapse video mode as currently have in EOS-M? That would be amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fRoGGxmW0A

boogzie

Quote from: kromi on August 19, 2020, 09:04:27 AM
Hi,
I've a Canon 6D with firmware 1.1.7. Can I install Magic Lantern? or I've to downgrade to fw:1.1.6?
Wich version of ML?
Mine had 1.1.8. I've downgraded it to 1.1.6 no problem. Happy with the result so far.

swordsmasterxii

Hi guys,

What is the fastest your 6D can do with SD overclock? I have the Sandisk 170mb and it can only do around 60mb/s . I saw someone posted in facebook a 650D making around 90mb

Levas

I see I have missed some post in this topic since august  ???
I still will try to answer them  :P

Levas

Quote from: sparvier on August 14, 2020, 01:12:27 PM
Now I have some questions:

1) Horizontal max Res

The 2688 horizontal res limit in crop mode is hardware-related or is speed-related? Otherwise: is it possible - in liveview - to shoot continous RAW frames as in photo mode to get a full res video (even with low fps)?

2) Framing in Crop Mode

In crop mode the "problem" is framing

If RAW Video -> Preview is set to Real-time, framing is not accurate (Why?)

If RAW Video -> Preview is set to Framing, Framing is OK but not real time (and seems CPU intensive: if there's fast panning during recording, often recording stops...)

Wouldn't be possible to have a Crop Rec Mode with Real Time Liveview where the Exact Framing is showed in Overlay?
I mean: the liveview shows the whole scene (not cropped, not zoomed) and the crop is showed by a rectangle.
Wouldn't it be possible? Or the crop-mode is strictly related to zoom mode in the Liveview?

Thanks for all your work!

Question 1:
The 2688 pixelwide horizontal resolution is a default setting by Canon in 5x zoom on the 6d.
Alex found out how to adjust these default resolutions in 5x zoom a few years ago. Since then we have the crop_rec modules.
It is possible to adjust this 5x zoom resolution to full photo resolution at the cost of low fps (full resolution is about 4.5 fps).
Full resolution setting is very heavy in bitrate. A full resolution frame is about 25MB (lossless compressed 14 bit). So lossless 14 bit data stream is over 100MB/s.
It would probably work about right in 2fps.
For more practical use I made 2 high resolution low fps presets in the crop_rec module in the build you're using:
5120x2880 at 5 fps and 5120x2880 at 6 fps.
This way you get about 15 megapixel frames and the 5 fps setting gives you, with the current sd_uhs hack, almost about continuous recording.

Question 2:
Realtime framing is something which isn't figured out how it works, until a few weeks ago.
User theBilalFakhouri made some pretty good process on this recently.
Some camera's now have (almost) pixelperfect framing with real-time preview.
I have too read into this to see if it works the same for the 6d, it does seem to work different for 5d3 though.
So with the latest findings of theBilalFakhouri there might be a change to get better liveview on the 6d, but it will probably take some time  :P

Levas

Quote from: andrule on August 18, 2020, 02:49:36 AM
My main question is why is there less latitude in Davinci resolve working with dng lossless then there is with working with ACR with the dngs coming out of MLV app (the dngs coming from MLV app go into resolve too, for clarity)? I feel like I'm working on a raw photo when I work on a single frame in ACR but in Davinci it starts to fall apart or go haywire way faster.

Different raw editors gives different results. Resolve is about video so you get some different approaches to things. For video there always where Lift, gamma and gain.
Which is slightly different to photo where you have shadow, exposure and highlight.
So might take some practice to get used too and get good results.
Another thing is that resolve is made by blackmagic and probably fit best to their cameras and might not get most out of other camera brands.

Levas

Quote from: HanZ on August 26, 2020, 11:54:49 AM
So far everything works as what you have mentioned. Just would like to ask, is the current build supporting h264 proxy recording? I'm experimenting the h264 proxy setting with 12bit lossless (SD overclock to 160mhz), and it crash with error 70. Just wanna know whether this is supposedly a usable setting, or just 6D limitation that can't handle this setting?

P/s: Just a wish request if you wouldn't mind, if possible to have 4k/5k timelapse video mode as currently have in EOS-M? That would be amazing!

Not sure about proxy recording, never used it. But I think it's made for dual card slot cameras like the 5d3. So raw recording on one card and proxy recording on the second card. So the error makes sense I guess (although it would be better if this option wasn't even available in the first place) :P

I didn't do anything with timelapse mode on the 6d yet, I use full resolution silent picture mode for that in combination with the intervaltimer.
At the moment if I have some time I rather see if I can get real-time preview and correct framing to work. Maybe in the future I'll look into timelapse options.