Levas' crop_rec_4k experiments for 6D

Started by Levas, December 01, 2019, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

To give a more simpler option to new people, I've uploaded the build I'm using myself.
It has all the modules needed and activated for raw recording.
It also has the settings I'm using (this is the actual build I'm using on my SD card, I removed the rom.bin files in the data section, which will be rewritten with your own camera roms at first startup)

This is just a ML build, including all the needed modules and set up in the way I'm using it, so for use, you camera must have firmware 1.1.6 and already be able to run ML (bootflag enabled).
If you haven't already enabled the bootflag, download the nightly build for the 6D on the downloads page and do a firmware update with the 'ML-SETUP.FIR' file which is in the nightly build.

Now here is this all in one, already set up lazy build:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_mZQUQrossmi8KgjOFg-HkcuLU7_qz8n/view?usp=sharing

When using the above build, you will see at that the following modules are enabled:

Out of the box, raw video recording in 1824x1026 - 16:9 aspect ratio in 14 bit lossless MLV format with audio is set.
Now in order to make use of the higher resolutions in crop mode, select a crop mode in the movie tab:

After selecting a crop mode preset, be sure to check the resolution displayed behind RAW VIDEO in the movie tab menu screen.
You can change/set this resolution by entering RAW VIDEO menu (highlight RAW VIDEO on the movie tab screen and press Q button on camera) now you see this menu:

Although instead of N/A there are resolution and aspect ratio displayed.
You can change the resolution by highlighting the option and use the scroll wheel on top of the camera to adjust it by increments of 16 pixels wide.
Now be sure to be in 5x zoom when recording and setting up the resolution.

Once crop_mode and higher resolution is set, you can record in 5x zoom these higher resolutions.
When in 5x zoom, you will get Canon 5x zoom preview, but this is not the actual framing of your recording.
To see the actual framing, you can do half-shutter press on the shutter button (lightly press the shutter button), this enables a preview(although frame rate is rather slow) of your actual recording/framing.
You can use the half shutter button before recording and during recording. Since the actual preview/framing is rather slow in frame rate, I choose to have Canon preview by default and occasionally check framing with half shutter press.

Now with these high resolutions, you will see that you won't get long recording times, since the camera can't write fast enough.
To get some longer recording times, you can enable 12 or 10 bit options in crop_mode submenu.
Go to the ML menu and MOVIE tab, highlight your crop_mode and press Q button:

There is a variety of options here, but most don't work (these options are used on EOS-M), but the most important option is working here, bitdepth.
You can select 8, 9, 10 or 12 bit here. If OFF is selected, you're using plain 14 bit raw option.

10 and 12 bit are really useful, 8 and 9 bit gives posterised shadows, but you can check for yourself  :P .

For viewing, extracting, post process and convert the MLV files I recommend to use MLV app:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0

ENJOY  :D

EDIT, this build has the SD_UHS speed hack enabled by default. This works good for SD cards that can handle this speed hack, for example the sanddisk extreme pro 95MB/s series or the newer Sandisk Extreme pro 170MB/s series.
Some cards, which can't handle this hack, can become slower with this hack enabled. Or maybe even won't write at all when the hack is enabled.
When experiencing problems, disable the SD_UHS module in the modules tab (Or buy a better SD card  ;D):

Walter Schulz

Quote from: retardx on November 28, 2019, 04:57:40 PM
Hello, I'm planning to buy 6d, but maybe I'd like to use it as a webcam on streams so I need unlimited runtime and clean hdmi.
I know by design I cant have them, but with can I bypass it with magic lantern firmware (I saw multiple videos as in ML you can complitely disable overlays = clean hdmi, not sure about runtime)

Unlimited HDMI recording duration is implemented in lua_fix experimental builds.

Quote from: retardx on November 28, 2019, 04:57:40 PM
Also, how sturdy shutter is? How long usally it lasts (i.e. 5d mark II lasts for 500k approx.)

6D shutter spec is 100000 (one hundred thousands) actuations.
5D Mark II spec is 150000. But this is statistics and doesn't tell a specific cam's sufferings. Just as an example how bad a camera's life can be: I take my cams on motorbike rides ...
http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos5dmkii.htm

dazer

David_Hugh

Hey! A while back I reported that I am having issues with the crop_rec module as well. I noticed something very interesting. When my lens (the APSC Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art - works great on a 6D by the way) was switched to AF when I powered the camera, half shutter press would not show me a framing preview, it would start focusing. However, once I switch it to manual and then BACK to AF, it shows a preview as it should with a half shutter press - even in AF mode. Incidentally, once I did this, 1x3 binning modes became available to me, when they would show a "raw detect error" or similar before. Strange stuff, especially the second part. Nevertheless, now everything works. Is there a way to include 24fps modes in this whole build or do I just need to switch to NTSC for that anyway? Great build, shame that the pixel binning modes (anti - aliasing modes really  ;D )  that bilal got working for the 700D havent made it to the 6D. We have slow mo and we have extended resolutions, but 1080p without aliasing and without crop would be killer. Hopefully this is helpful to one person or another. Thanks again Levas and all the other fine devs ;).

Danne

1x3 binning modes have been working on 6D for a year or so already.

David_Hugh

Yes - No binning modes was probably the wrong wording. No resolutions bigger than 1824pixels in 1x1 liveview mode to be precise (at least I think this hasn't been achieved yet...^^). It doesn't matter anyway, the advancements have been great this year, plenty of options to go out and make something beautiful, I wasn't trying to sound dismissive.

Levas

Quote from: David_Hugh on January 06, 2020, 02:01:07 PM
Hey! A while back I reported that I am having issues with the crop_rec module as well. I noticed something very interesting. When my lens (the APSC Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art - works great on a 6D by the way) was switched to AF when I powered the camera, half shutter press would not show me a framing preview, it would start focusing. However, once I switch it to manual and then BACK to AF, it shows a preview as it should with a half shutter press - even in AF mode. Incidentally, once I did this, 1x3 binning modes became available to me, when they would show a "raw detect error" or similar before. Strange stuff, especially the second part.
That is strange indeed, but good to hear it works.
Is there a way to include 24fps modes in this whole build or do I just need to switch to NTSC for that anyway?
Switching to NTSC won't work. FPS is fixed in the crop modes.
I could make a 24fps build, if I keep the same resolution settings as in 25 fps, it's only a matter of adjusting the B-timer.
Haven't changed the code for months :P so it could take some time to dive into it.

Great build, shame that the pixel binning modes (anti - aliasing
modes really  ;D )  that bilal got working for the 700D havent made it to the 6D. We have slow mo and we have extended resolutions, but 1080p without aliasing and without crop would be killer. Hopefully this is helpful to one person or another. Thanks again Levas and all the other fine devs ;).
Not sure what you mean here, the latest build has two 1x3 modes, 24fps and 25fps. max resolution (24fps) is 1640x2144.
Which can be unstretched in post to either -> 1640 x 714 resolution (perfect sharp image without aliasing) or 4920 x 2144 (which is rather soft due to the 3x horizontal strecth, but far from bad)
If you mean that it is too bad the 6d can't go higher then 1640 x 2144, so for example 1824 x 3078 mode (which would become 1824 x 1026 without aliasing)
Unfortunately 1824x3078 at 24 fps will not work on 6d, CMOS readout is too slow.
Most Canon crop cameras, including the 700d, can read the CMOS quicker then the 6d.
If I remember correct, the 700d has a clockspeed of 32MHz and 6d only has 25.6Mhz.

David_Hugh

Right - as stated above, no binning mode was a bit of a missleading statement. I specifically meant bilals further advancements on the 700d like getting it to work with 10 bit lossless compression and having liveview (albeit stretched). In a similar vein, I was asking about 24p modes because hey, a frame less is a frame less on the cards buffer. Also, there's no way to switch it if you are on a 24p timeline. By the way, are the crop_rec modes on all camera models with greyscale framing/preview only still? I havent quite kept up with the developements in the last half year or so and there are so many topics and threads to read through by now that I don't no what the state of crop_rec is, so to speak. What's awesome by the way is the 50p mode - easily the most useable "new" preset for everyday filmmaking.

mfenske

Photograpy Newbie with a Canon 70D 1.11A

metuck2

Is there a way of changing the HDMI output of the canon 6D to 1080p instead of 1080i?

alexboum

Quote from: Levas on December 24, 2018, 06:37:57 PM
Found a few minutes to alter the crop_rec file to NTSC.
For the first 3 presets, camera must be set in NTSC 720p60fps mode.

Tested it really quick, so far it looks good  ;D

Here's the link to the crop_rec module file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tCe9ryqKpnGx_AKW4CaquCy32WwUmTU2/view?usp=sharing

Hello Levas,
I would like to ask you if you would have time to add in the Lazy build the the 3840x2160 @10fps crop preset? It could still be smooth with mecanical stabilizer and good post production interpolation (twixtor or adobe optical flow).
And also to know if the Digital Dolly is active with crop_rec. I'am able to use it without crop_rec but not with. By reading the code it looks like the Digital Dolly is mainly handled by mlv_lite.c in the "update_cropping_offsets" function. So it look like to be active in your code but there is surely some subtlety.

Anyway, hope you are ok in this period and thanks for what you have already done.

Levas

All ok over here.
Only a little bit busy with homeschooling the kids besides my real job  :P

I'm still planning to put some more presets in crop preset, so I can put back in the 3840x2160 at 10 FPS.
Although it can take a while, will try and see if I can do it before the end of this month.

alexboum

Quote from: Levas on April 09, 2020, 09:52:25 PM
All ok over here.
Only a little bit busy with homeschooling the kids besides my real job  :P

I'm still planning to put some more presets in crop preset, so I can put back in the 3840x2160 at 10 FPS.
Although it can take a while, will try and see if I can do it before the end of this month.

Thanks for your reply, no problem it's not hurry, I'am locked at home with the Covid-19 so it would only be to test and play with it.
So take your time and take care about your family it's much more important.

ulldepeix360

Hello, I have bought a 6D and I wanted to use Magic Lantern but when updating the firmware I have put the most moderno 1.1.9.
Y would like to know if I can install version 1.1.6 without problems?
Gracias. thank you

Walter Schulz

ulldepeix360

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 11, 2020, 01:24:01 PM
You have to downgrade your firmware.
Downgrade, of course,
But, Can I do it Safely?
I am afraid of damaging my camera
Thank You

Walter Schulz

If you are afraid damaging your camera you should not use ML at all. See FAQ.

For N.S.

I adjusted the resolution to the maximum, 14bitless, 2: 1, and then clicked crop in x5 mode to select 1640 * 2144. When I returned to liveview, the screen was all red stripes, but the video was available. Please tell me what went wrong, thank you.

Levas

Quote from: alexboum on April 07, 2020, 10:46:33 PM
Hello Levas,
I would like to ask you if you would have time to add in the Lazy build the the 3840x2160 @10fps crop preset? It could still be smooth with mecanical stabilizer and good post production interpolation (twixtor or adobe optical flow).
And also to know if the Digital Dolly is active with crop_rec. I'am able to use it without crop_rec but not with. By reading the code it looks like the Digital Dolly is mainly handled by mlv_lite.c in the "update_cropping_offsets" function. So it look like to be active in your code but there is surely some subtlety.

Anyway, hope you are ok in this period and thanks for what you have already done.

@Alexboum
I put the 3840x2160x10fps back in the crop_rec module.
You can download the module file from my google drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xlmsTMnIpLi5_Rr0JaW-pDi0nB9Mr03Q

Replace this module file with the module file in the lazy build on your SD card( ML/MODULES directory ) and it should work.
The 3840x2160 mode is for use in 5x zoom mode, if you use it in 1x zoom you probably get corrupted frames.

Curious to hear if you can get good results with Adobe optical flow or twixtor with this 3840x2160x10fps preset.
I only know Blackmagic Davinci Resolve optical flow, it's a bit of a hit or mis. On some footage it works great, on some it doesn't.

carlfino

Hi guys - it's been a while for me.  I shoot lots of night shots / astro, and I can't find the Display Gain feature.  Is it unavailable on the 6D?  It's not in the ISO submenu.  Thanks!

Walter Schulz

alexboum

Quote from: Levas on April 25, 2020, 05:36:00 PM
@Alexboum
I put the 3840x2160x10fps back in the crop_rec module.
You can download the module file from my google drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xlmsTMnIpLi5_Rr0JaW-pDi0nB9Mr03Q

Replace this module file with the module file in the lazy build on your SD card( ML/MODULES directory ) and it should work.
The 3840x2160 mode is for use in 5x zoom mode, if you use it in 1x zoom you probably get corrupted frames.

Curious to hear if you can get good results with Adobe optical flow or twixtor with this 3840x2160x10fps preset.
I only know Blackmagic Davinci Resolve optical flow, it's a bit of a hit or mis. On some footage it works great, on some it doesn't.

Thanks a lot Levas, preset works fine (No LV), my SFCard is too slow for 4K14Bit LL so I test it with 3K 16:9 10FPS (~45MB/s) (No aliasing). Camera is hand helded. It's not really natural but smooth enough.
OpticalFlow can be really good if the mouvement are slow and smooth, so stabiliser or tripod are needed to have good result. But I think it could be good for interview or Landscape footage.
On Youtube there is some good 50% slowmo at 24 fps so I assume it is possible to achieve good "normalmo" at 12fps.

PS: Resolution can be override on the preset.

https://youtu.be/Ffgc6Y8y09o

Levas

Couldn't get normal liveview working, not sure why. ML preview works fine though.
The 10 fps to 24 fps youtube link, not bad, but you can see the motion of the cat is a little unnatural.
10 fps to 24 fps is probably too much for most situations.
Think I'm gonna add some more crop_rec presets this week to it.

alexboum

Quote from: Levas on April 25, 2020, 10:01:58 PM
The 10 fps to 24 fps youtube link, not bad, but you can see the motion of the cat is a little unnatural. 10 fps to 24 fps is probably too much for most situations.

I agree with you 10fps is an extreme case.

Quote from: Levas on April 25, 2020, 10:01:58 PM
Think I'm gonna add some more crop_rec presets this week to it.
It would be great! But 10Fps can still be useful in some situation as 5K 2.5FPS ;).
Thanks again. Take care.

Levas

Updated Crop_rec again.

I managed to get 2560x1440 at 24 (23.994) fps working  :D
Edit: oh crap  ??? I see there is a 12 pixel wide black border on the rights side of the frame...A timer set to tight, not sure if there is room to fix this  :(
Edit: Fixed it at the cost of fps speed, now it's 2560x1440 at 24 (23.952) fps, still counts as 24fps right  :P

Did try that before but just couldn't reach the needed resolution without corrupted frames.
But after a little fiddling and finetuning registers 713c and 7150 I managed to get it to work, even got working canon liveview 5x zoom.
There is absolutely no room for more resolution in this preset, not even 2562x1440 would work  :P

And I added a 3072x1728 x 16fps mode (maybe 16 fps can become 24 fps with optical flow)
Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work with canon 5x liveview, so you need ML preview for this preset.

The new crop_rec file, which can be replaced with the crop_rec file in the lazy build:
(For everyone who wants to try, this file doesn't work with the standard nightly build on the download page, you need one of the latest 6d builds, links can be found earlier in this topic)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sT1ylUscb1OfTUM96laDAx5hVlW5PII_

At the moment I'm only adding some presets for 6d, nothing ground breaking, didn't touch any other code.
Source of the crop_rec can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A0SPSp4fmmJV22vz_EDs2YHkEn3058jQ

To give you people an idea of what is possible and what is not possible with the 6d:

Canon specs for 6d fastest burst speed is 4.5 fps, 5472 x 3648 x 4.5 = 89.8 megapixel per second.
So this probably gives the maximum speed the sensor can be read, 89.8 megapixel per second.

Now some presets I made:

2880 x 1200 x 25fps = 86.4 megapixel per second
2480 x 1396 x 25fps = 86.6 megapixel per second
2560 x 1440 x 24fps = 88.5 megapixel per second
3072 x 1728 x 16fps = 84.9 megapixel per second

So, as you can see, the above presets are about the max the 6d can do.
If you can think of any other resolution x fps combination you might like and it is within 88 megapixel per second, I can probably make a preset for it.
So any requests ?