Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

My files looks great with 1x3 binning. Magic is still happening.

Danne

If you find this mlv you'll see that every other frame i slightly different in color.
M04-1236-BldFeb042023am.MLV

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 06, 2023, 06:37:57 PM
If you find this mlv you'll see that every other frame i slightly different in color.
M04-1236-BldFeb042023am.MLV

Yes, I was trying to record a video with that problem and then swap the card to your new version, but cannot reproduce it XD Anyway, great progress!  :D

BatchGordon

I haven't done extensive testing, but I've discovered a very small problem: when you set the ISO value from the Expo menu to AUTO, you can't even get into the ML menu anymore. You have to avoid loading ML and set it again to a different value from the Canon menu.
It's a really small bug, probably no one is using auto iso in ML (I don't use it myself, I set it by mistake), so it may be a lowest priority problem to fix.

bramo

Quote from: BatchGordon on February 06, 2023, 08:56:06 PM
I haven't done extensive testing, but I've discovered a very small problem: when you set the ISO value from the Expo menu to AUTO, you can't even get into the ML menu anymore. You have to avoid loading ML and set it again to a different value from the Canon menu.
It's a really small bug, probably no one is using auto iso in ML (I don't use it myself, I set it by mistake), so it may be a lowest priority problem to fix.

THANK YOU. This actually just solved the issues I was having, working now :)

Danne

Quote from: BatchGordon on February 06, 2023, 08:56:06 PM
Sounds pretty bad. Might take a look.

Danne

New build

Fixed autoiso issue.
Dualiso finetuning

Nice to have auto iso. It´s a feature to restric max auto iso in one of the submenus call max iso.
EDIT: Works like shit though in movie mode, especially frtp modes. :P

Danne

New build:

Fixed so dualiso metadata shows up correctly also when selecting iso other way around:

iaburn

Update frenzy, I love it  :D Will test later, major storm here to be recorded!

gabriielangel

Quote from: iaburn on February 08, 2023, 01:56:10 PM
Update frenzy, I love it  :D Will test later, major storm here to be recorded!

2023Feb08 12:23 PM Build

I recorded all the clips in sequence, after restarting the camera 3 times after install.

Metadata now shows correctly for every combination

For the following settings, the metadata says Dual ISO, but the clip is recorded as Single ISO (No ISO Lines)

100/100, 100/200, 100/400, 100/800, 200/100, 800/100, 800/200, 800/400

The following settings Show Metadata and are recorded as expected (Iso Lines Showing)

200/400, 200/800, 400/100,200,800

on 400/100,200,800, the is no visual difference at all.

So, there is something to verify:

I first exposed a full white frame to Histogram 1.0
Then I proceeded to record the Dynamic Range Chart.
Whether I change the recovery ISO to 100,200,400,800 or leave it to Single ISO, the Histogram shows 1.8 (But the max white value is still 1.0, since I exposed a full white frame beforehand)

Especially when the base ISO is lower than the recovery, the amount of light which hits the sensor is what the amplifier has to work with.
So if recovery is 400, for example, and I exposed for 100. Too much light gets in.
So Unless the A/D converter has plenty of extra bits to work with before going to Digital 14bits or lower, you will be working with a clipped signal. (Unless the amplifier lowers the gain each other line?)

Someone who really knows the Camera pipeline could chime in to correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: Recorded clips at 2.5k preset

Danne

Quote from: gabriielangel on February 08, 2023, 05:11:57 PM
2023Feb08 12:23 PM Build

100/200, 100/400, 100/800, 200/100, 800/100, 800/200, 800/400

200/400, 200/800, 400/100,200,800

Tested all above variations now. They all have dual iso applied and they differ. It´s clear even by simply running playback in camera. Not sure what you use for settings but maybe redo your tests after a clean install and nothing applied but dual iso. Run the tests with 5k anamorphic frtp mode as it´s the first choice.
Thanks again for testing.

gabriielangel

I recorded with 2.5k, Clean Installed.

Will try 5k frtp and let you know later.

Danne

Ok, tested. I see now that recovery iso isn´t updated with 2.5k preset. I need to have a look later. Thanks for reporting.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on February 08, 2023, 05:40:06 PM
Ok, tested. I see now that recovery iso isn´t updated with 2.5k preset. I need to have a look later. Thanks for reporting.

Also check toggling Dual ISO on, record, off, record.
I think the problem is that it won't always acknowledge the Dual ISO on/off change.

Danne

Think I fixed it now. Could you check latest build?

gabriielangel

I can't right now, but will do in a few hours, no problem.

iaburn

Just tried the latest version from an hour ago on my favurite modes (5k frtp, 2.8K, 2.5K): Not a single bad thing to report  :D
Swapping back and forth from dual ISO with the shortcut worked every time, not more problems with the preview staying on Live view instead of Framing on crop modes, the workflow in general is super smooth... A pleasure to use this firmware :clap: :clap:
And I have also noticed that I don't have this shift in white balance from frame to frame when recording dual ISO, specially in 5K modes... it was very noticeable and now it's gone!

Danne

Cool  8). Thanks for testing. Wish I had more Mlv app testing time  8).

gabriielangel

Link to the 2.5k Dual ISO Files: http://bit.ly/3DTLCTX

Build: 2023Feb08 5:59 pm

All the clips record metadata correctly in both directions (100-xxx / xxx-100);
All clips record dual ISO Correctly;
Turning Dual ISO on/off doesn't affect ISO Recording;

All the clips have been recorded with a full white frame reference at -1.0

Have a look at clips M08-1705 (ISO 100), and Clip M08-1709 (Iso 100-800)
Just add 1.0 Exposure on both clips, nothing else, and you can see the shadows clearer  about 1 stop deeper.
(Clearly visible in the MLV App Waveform Monitor.)
So This works as expected.

The gain in the other Base/Recovery ISO pairs is not as straightforward, but as long as there is a 1.0 EV headroom, I did not see any hard clipping up to 800.

Some Clips have the suffix MaxHistogram, on those I exposed the white frame while Dual ISO was on, and set 1.0 there. Those clips are then recorded slightly hotter.

I did not include the 5k ana frtp clips, but I also tested. I think 5k ana frtp needs a little more headroom to work well (maybe 1.5 or 2.0) this has to be confirmed.

otisw

Hello - Trying Dual ISO for the first time with latest Feb8 build and can't seem to set the ISO base when using 1080p.  I'm showing red "buttons" next to Memory Patches debug with this build, and also the Jan13 build as well, which I wonder is expected or is indicates is a real problem?  I also don't seem to be able to get it out of Auto ISO mode in any of the presets I've tried (when the top rotary switch is set to the Movie icon).

Dual ISO does seem to work, MLVAPP gets rid of horizontal lines when enabling dual ISO.  Some of the frames are corrupted after exporting from MLV app though, but only tried 1 recording.  My SD card is a Sandisk Extreme Pro 200 MB/s 128 GB and it records 1080p OK with a green boxed counter as the recording progresses IF I don't go higher than 24 fps.  I've only been following this thread for a few weeks, and it's difficult to be sure I've followed the proper protocol folks are using since the info is scattered throughout the thread.  I started from scratch with a new install of ML with a freshly reset camera and my steps are listed below.  If you see something I'm missing that would enable me to set both the base/recovery ISO's properly or some other step I've done wrong I'd appreciate some help.  Nice work with this in any case, very cool what I've managed to get working so far!

1 Uninstall ML
2 Clear camera settings (Canon)
3 Erase ML autoexec, ml-setup.fir, ML directories
4 Copy ML firmware from 2/8/2023 build to card (Sandisk 200MB/s 128 gig)
5 Power on EOSM, select AV mode, update firmware, reboot after update
6 Press down button on rotary dial, Select 1080p in ML Movie menu
7 Exit ML menu and set Movie Rec. Size to 1920x1080[24
8 Memory Patches debug screen shows 5 red circles, 2 green circles, 1 red circle from top to bottom8
9 Canon ISO speed menu is unchangeable from Auto
10 ML Expo ISO setting is unchangeable from Auto
11 Dual ISO Recovery ISO shows 100, can be changed, set to 800 and back to Expo menu, Dual ISO shows 0/800
12 Recent menu shows ISO Auto, Dual ISO 0/800, Dual ISO - Recovery ISO 800, presets HD 1080p, startup presets none selected

Thanks, Wayne

Danne

Which version are you using? I fixed auto iso issues lately. Also dualiso fixes.

iaburn

@otisw I know you tried your best explaining your steps, but it's hard to follow and know what you are doing.
If you could post a video showing so the process it would be easier to find out I guess.
Also, to update the firmware once ML was already working on your card, you just need to delete all the files on that SD card and copy the new ones from the zip.
No need to uninstall and install again updating firmware on photo mode.

otisw

I was using your last build from Feb 8th.  The timestamp after opening the zip file on windows was 5:59pm, not sure what time zone that is after opening on my system.

On the iso, it just seems it's stuck in auto when I select 1080p.  Neither the ML menu or Canon menus allow me to change it from Auto IF I'm in movie mode on the camera's top 3-position selector.  The steps I posted seem long, but it seems logical.  Clear any previous settings, load the firmware, select 1080p, set 24fps using the Canon Menu, then try to change the ISO from Auto, which is not possible.  When I enable Dual Iso, only the recovery ISO I think it's called is changeable. The ability to see the dynamic range improvement in the Dual Iso menu isn't there, and the "tool tip" says it can't calculate it because it's in Auto ISO.

Danne

New build:
Added yet another fix for in dual_iso.c to prevent unpatch error.

ML700D

Quote from: Danne on February 09, 2023, 04:42:11 PM
New build:
Added yet another fix for in dual_iso.c to prevent unpatch error.

can it be used in 700d?
EOS 700D