Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattia

With this new build everytime I stop recording (in any mode) my camera freezes on some weird screen. I have to turn it off and back on to make it work again..

Also, it seems that 14bit depth is no longer usable, after a dozen of frames the recording stops. Only 10bit mode seems to be really usable. And my sd got 92mb/s in the card benchmark.

Danne

Quote from: gabriielangel on February 04, 2023, 11:45:09 PM
Tested Build Feb 04 2023 4:18 PM
MLV Files which exhibit some flicker: https://bit.ly/3jBxozR
Fixed the metadata issue. Will post a build soon.
Regarding flicker. If you turn off fullres blending it´s getting fixed. I keep saying that fullres blending isn´t reliable in general, don´t use it.
Flicker issues mostly targets post processing apps. When referring to those issues always test against fullres blending ON and OFF since it´s a dual iso code error, not post production one. Will get very time consuming otherwise.
Thanks

gabriielangel

I don't know what fullres blending is!

Is it an option inside the camera, or inside MLVApp?

Danne

Mlv App :).

New build is up:
commit:
- crop_rec.c,dual_iso.c:(EOSM short cut turning dual iso ON or OFF with SET7 or INFO7, metadata fix when dualiso turned to OFF)

gabriielangel

I looked for "Fullres blending", can't find it. Is it something  added to MLV App recently?

Danne

All recent dual iso testing should be done with iaburns versions of Mlv App. Older code is not very reliable, never was.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 05, 2023, 02:20:05 AM
New build is up:
commit:
- crop_rec.c,dual_iso.c:(EOSM short cut turning dual iso ON or OFF with SET7 or INFO7, metadata fix when dualiso turned to OFF)

Now it's on the SET button for all my presets  :D

The only problem is that now I need the "Tap screen" shortcuts and it looks like they need to be updated:
If I choose Tap screen 3 for Zebras, it does nothing apparently
Tap screen 4 for false colors, toggles zebras
Tap screen 5 for zebras and focus picking toggles false colors

I love dual ISO, it's like the DR Boost on the GH6, giving an extra where this cam struggles the most, and now it's seamless to use, so cool!

Danne

Yes, noticed missing tap display presets. Will update shortly :)

nicolascuellar

Hi guis, sad to report that im having the same freezing issues, others are experimenting.
The card im using is: Sandisk Extreme pro 200mb/s 128gb. Firmware version 2.0.2

The problems are as follows:
-if i take a foto it goes to black screen and freezes.
-in video mode is imposible to start recording
-trash can to enter menu is not working
-if you enter ML menu touching the screen, it freezes
-you have to remove the battery and card various times in order to make menu button to work, in order to enter canon menu to uninstall magic lantern.

Danne

New build:

Some fixes with tap display buttons and also added short cuts to base and recovery iso when dual iso is enabled. To be tested if useful or not.
Example with set button enabled.
                "SET7 = toggle Dual ISO ON or OFF\n"
                "SET8 = toggle Dual iso Base ISO/Recovery ISO UP/DOWN\n"

iaburn

I've spent the afternoon testing the previous build, everything worked very well  :D

On this latest build, I tried deleting everything on the card before the update, but the Tap display shortcuts still have some strange things. I see the the 06 and 06 with the same text, but one is activating false colors, but 04 is also false colors xD
The preset for toggle base/recovery ISO works very well, but the way I work I don't see myself using it. I like to set exposure for highlights on ISO 100, press the shortcut to activate Dual ISO so base ISO (or the recovery) is set to current ISO, and then adjust the recovery ISO (or the base) with up/down arrows until the shadows look bright enough. I don't think it can get better than that :o

Side note, while testing this the screen got frozen after stopping a dual ISO recording and couldn't un-freeze it, but maybe it was just a coincidence

Danne

Pushed a new one with fixes. Feel free to test if you have time. Especially tap display stuff.
EDIT: Seems fixed now :)! Great!

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on February 05, 2023, 04:20:26 PM
New build:

Some fixes with tap display buttons and also added short cuts to base and recovery iso when dual iso is enabled. To be tested if useful or not.
Example with set button enabled.
                "SET7 = toggle Dual ISO ON or OFF\n"
                "SET8 = toggle Dual iso Base ISO/Recovery ISO UP/DOWN\n"

Build Tested Feb052023

Issues
When setting the camera to AF or AF+MF, half-shutter gives a scrambled or frozen preview
When Setting to MF, the preview is clean, but is is cropped a lot compared to the previous builds.

I started noticing yesterday:
If you try to change the movie mode to anything but manual, the camera freeze, and you need to remove the card, start, and change in photo mode, then put the card back in.
In photo mode, Av works, but the "preset" modes will freeze the camera.
In photo mode, Av can be useful, and even though Manual is the only mode to use with ML, it can be changed inadvertently, and a first time user will definitely lock up the camera.

Shortcuts:

-It would be good to add histogram to the list while you are at it. It is the only commonly used option we don't have a shortcut for. It is not Super accurate, but when I use it along with false colors, I never get clipping.

-The new 7 and 8 shortcuts work well. Will test shortcut settings combinations once the preview display issue is fixed, as this could lead to false alerts. For example, Mapping INFO to INFO 3, cycles between auto and  realtime idle, and I don't know if Off would be useful in that loop.

Suggestions
If it isn't a hardware limit, having access to ISO lower than 100 would be very useful. On a very sunny day, a grad ND is often necessary to get the best S/N ratio. If you look at the video I posted yesterday, Dual ISO 100/800 gives a stunning extension in DR, but the noise level is too high for normal use (I exaggerated pushing it in the video of course).
If we could extend the range below iso 200, noise wouldn't be an issue at all.

It would be nice if someone could briefly explain how Dual ISO is managed in MLV App, so that we can test for limitations to avoid any surprises on a recording day.

Danne

Quote from: gabriielangel on February 05, 2023, 06:46:10 PM
Build Tested Feb052023

Issues
When setting the camera to AF or AF+MF, half-shutter gives a scrambled or frozen preview
When Setting to MF, the preview is clean, but is is cropped a lot compared to the previous builds.
What are your settings here? If af is on focus aid has to be off if using halfshutter.
Not sure what kknd of cropped preview we are talking about here? What's acting different from before?

Going in and out of photo and movie mode often is buggy. I'd restart if going into photo mode.
Thanks.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on February 05, 2023, 06:53:29 PM
What are your settings here? If af is on focus aid has to be off if using halfshutter.
Not sure what kknd of cropped preview we are talking about here? What's acting different from before?

Going in and out of photo and movie mode often is buggy. I'd restart if going into photo mode.
Thanks.

I didn't change anything from the way it is when you first turn on the camera after installing the build, except for 2.39:1 Ratio, and changed the focus mode in canon menu to either Af, Mf or Af+Mf.

The Canon menu option to use the Star button to focus wasn't set.  (Custom Functions 5 set to the default 0:AF/AE Lock)
It was it ISO 100, f2.0, shutter 1/33. Tried ef-m 32mm f1.4 and ef-m 15-45mm

The Framing preview usually takes the whole display width, but it was showing a black pillar to the right of the display.
Realtime zoomed in preview would take the whole display as usual though.

Danne

I think I know what you mean. For some reason the focus box moves to the right too much. If you push SET button it centres again. Some bug.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 05, 2023, 06:17:25 PM
Pushed a new one with fixes. Feel free to test if you have time. Especially tap display stuff.
EDIT: Seems fixed now :)! Great!

Tested and for me everything is working perfectly  :D

I think most of the issues people are reporting come from using auto focus, non-manual modes, not starting clean by deleting presets, etc.

Danne

New upload:

Focus box will always start centered. Should help with af speed consistency and fix preview bug in crop modes when preview screen would get black border when focus box placed too much on the sides.

Danne

New build:

Adressing dualiso flicker. Fps needed finadjustment. Should be flicker free files in mlv app now. HD1080p not fixed because of canon fps atm but I went through the rest.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on February 06, 2023, 10:27:06 AM
New build:

Adressing dualiso flicker. Fps needed finadjustment. Should be flicker free files in mlv app now. HD1080p not fixed because of canon fps atm but I went through the rest.

Build Feb 6 5:45 am
Card Sandisk Ultra SD 256GB 200 MB/s
Everything Stock, except ratio 2.39:1

Customized Buttons
-When Set Selectable is SET 8:
Recovery ISO Up/Down goes to the wrong screen (Single Shooting Screen)
-All other custom buttons tested and working.

Recording Length
-2.8k/12bits recording length issue is solved.
-2.5k/14bits recording length issue is solved.
-3k 20p/14bits Can now do 1 minute + (Green /  Orange)

Dual ISO
When using dual ISO as xxx/100, metadata is not written. It shows as iso 100
When using 100/xxx, metadata is written correctly

Others
Autofocus works as before, no more corrupted screen.
Manual focus preview works as before. no more cropped/offset  framing window.

Sometimes, when changing presets, for example load 5k ana flv, then load 2.5k or 2.8k:
Press * to zoom and it will stay stuck. Camera restart required.

Danne

Thanks. Will fix the SET8 later. You could try a few dualiso files for flicker from latest build just uploaded. When you have time of course.

ML700D

btw danne, what makes dual iso flickering? thanks.
sometimes I got flickering too..
EOS 700D

Danne

Fine tuning of fps fixes it. Check the commit.

Danne

Quote from: gabriielangel on February 06, 2023, 11:02:22 AM
Build Feb 6 5:45 am
Card Sandisk Ultra SD 256GB 200 MB/s
Everything Stock, except ratio 2.39:1

Customized Buttons
-When Set Selectable is SET 8:
Recovery ISO Up/Down goes to the wrong screen (Single Shooting Screen)
-All other custom buttons tested and working.

Fixed!

iaburn

I had many issues in the past with flickering footage, but it's hard to reproduce it on purpose. I've recorded a bunch of clips with the new version and an old one, and I could clearly see the stripes not moving while recording, which is a good improvement alone already, but couldn't get a sample with flickering after processing with the old version.
Will keep an eye in the future, but I will say that is a big step on getting perfect dual ISO footage. Congrats!