Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Only reducing height should be enough with the mentioned reg should work. also lowering 7150 could work. Width could be left out for now. Changing in Raw video menu will have no efffect on the issue.

gabriielangel

I found out that AF doesn't work at 10 bits. To validate, I loaded the 2.5k preset and set it to 10 bits. It won't focus while recording.

So loading the 2.8k preset and setting it to 12 bits before recording, it will Auto focus while recording even at full resolution (But it misses every now and then)

I still get vertical lines though, so I tried reducing height with the reg up to -200, but no luck.

I saw that some combinations of 713c and 7150 have some effect on the way it shows.

So I will try again this week to find out if some reg combinations will get rid of the vertical lines.

In the meantime, using * to zoom in and half shutter to focus and get out works and do not exhibit the vertical lines issue.

Danne

New build:

- Fixed 2.8k preset while using autofocus.

ML700D

unfortunately bilal's build can't use autofocus while using preset
EOS 700D

Danne

What camera?
Test turning off small hacks and more hacks and see if that works.

ML700D

EOS 700D

Danne

New build:

- More autofocus stuff
With latest sd_uhs speed (240Mhz) and some other fixes around stability it seems autofocus works rather well both while filming and prechecking before recording. Far from perfect of course with old one shot af but nevertheless it works.

Best practice. Probably to turn focus aid to OFF and turn on AF+MF in canon menu, flexizoneAF and then ONE SHOT in movie tab(canon).
Also note following. Under raw video menu set Small hacks to af on and More hacks to only lvface.

Above settings should give ability to prefocus before recording and while recording also obtain correct one shot focus with halfshutter.
Every preset will have its own quirks but hey, it´s free.

Next best practice. Enable focus aid to sticky push and you wil be able and use halfshutter to get into x10 zoom, Push halfshutter again and it will focus and releasing button will get you back to filming preview. This workflow does not work with HD1080p and High framerate presets. In this case use *(star button) to get into x10 zoom and then use halfshutter.

Well. A lot to test here but above should be a good starting point.

Thanks to @gabriielangel for a lot of ongoing testing and for pointing out what works and not. AF working came as a surprise on my end...

gabriielangel

Jan 10 2023 build Tested with a Canon EF 35mm f2 IS.
Different lenses may behave differently depending on the switches available outside, Full time MF, etc.

In addition to what is stated in Danne's post:
3k 24p 12bit can now record longer clips more easily (Press INFO while recording / Histogram 3.0 Max);
3k 12bit 19.98p (Set 25 fps to ON and -380) behaves like 2.8k 12bit 24p in terms of clip length;
5K Ana and Ana flv also got a boost in recordable clip length at 12 bits.

@danne: 10bit now works on my end, but 12bit still yields more consistent focus results.

Details:

MF
While recording, you only need to press the * or half shutter ONCE. It will go back to normal by itself (Non sticky shutter while recording). If you press twice while using 5k ana / flv, it may not bounce back to normal.

1080p
Before recording: * button and half shutter both work to zoom in.
While recording: not possible to zoom in.

While recording: both buttons will provide some zoom (2X ?).

2.5k, 2.8K & 3k
While recording: both buttons will provide 10X zoom.

5k Ana & 5k Ana flv
While recording: 10 bits, both buttons will provide 10X zoom (it is an anamorphic stretch). 12 bits will give a freezed display.

AF
(Follow Danne's recommendations to the letter and it will work as follows)

1080P
This mode will try to continuous autofocus. it works, but is reeeeally sloooow.
So, if you use bigger EF lenses which make a lot of noise, in Canon menu, set Movie Servo AF to Disable. You will then get a comfy and snappy one shot AF.

Before recording:
As stated in Danne's post, you should use  *, then press and hold half-shutter to focus, then release to go back to normal.

While recording: Pressing * or half shutter, the display will look pink, but holding the half-shutter will AF correctly and go back to normal on release.

5k frtp, 2k, 2.5k, 2.8k, 3k (3k works better at 19.98p)
Before and during recording, both buttons work as expected. 3k is slower to return to preview after successful focus while recording.

5k Ana & 5k Ana flv
like 1080p, This mode will try to continuous autofocus. set Movie Servo AF to Disable.

Before recording: Use *, then half-shutter hold and release to focus.
While recording: Press-hold-release Half-shutter button to focus. (if you don't take your time to hold or release before it is done focusing, display may freeze to the zoomed in state)

Danne

New upload:

- Fixes for other ratios but 16:9 when shooting af focus aid turned OFF
- 3k fix. Same issue as with 2.8k when using af(hot cmos lines).

Thanks for tests @gabriielangel.

Edit: My current workflow with af is to change * button in canon me to last alternative which makes the button focus and now halfshutter is behaving like the * button. Plus here is that manual focusing will work all the time with my 22mm f2 lens instead of after locked focus. Also disable focus aid.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on January 11, 2023, 06:29:52 AM
New upload:

Edit: My current workflow with af is to change * button in canon me to last alternative which makes the button focus and now halfshutter is behaving like the * button. Plus here is that manual focusing will work all the time with my 22mm f2 lens instead of after locked focus. Also disable focus aid.
That's a good idea. How can I do it? I cannot find where to change * button. I have firmware 2.0.2

Danne

gabriielangel

Tested Jan 11 2023 Build, with a Canon 22mm f2 ef-m lens.

Here only the differences since last post. I still tested every mode.
Will post the 2.39:1 results this evening (My disk is Full!!)

16:9 (15 seconds clips)

AF

Focus before recording: Works
While recording: Displays a black screen both with * and Shutter. Does not focus.

5k Ana flv
Before recording: Works
While Recording: Pressing * or half shutter, The display shows only the uppermost portion of the sensor, so it has trouble nailing focus.
1736x2930 16 fps recorded pink frames on 2 trials

1080p hf
Display is shown as an anamorphic squeeze
Before recording, zoom works
While recording: Displays pink, but still focuses successfully

MF

1080p hf
While recording: No Zoom

5k Ana
If you press half shutter to zoom in before recording, then you record, it may give a Data Corruption error, or freeze.
I am not able to reproduce the issue on demand though (Happened twice out of 8 trials)
1104x1870 23.972 fps Recorded pink frames.

5k Ana flv
While Recording: Pressing * or shutter, The display shows only the uppermost portion of the sensor.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: ML700D on January 10, 2023, 01:28:54 PM
unfortunately bilal's build can't use autofocus while using preset

Yeah, I disabled autofocus completely for stability reasons. in my 650D/700D/100D builds once you turn on autofocus while crop mode is enabled, crop mode would turn off immediately.
I might re-enable autofocus in future for some presets, or find a cleaner way (and more stable) to use autofocus with crop mode presets.

Danne

Quote from: gabriielangel on January 11, 2023, 09:10:46 PM
Tested Jan 11 2023 Build, with a Canon 22mm f2 ef-m lens.

Here only the differences since last post. I still tested every mode.
Will post the 2.39:1 results this evening (My disk is Full!!)

16:9 (15 seconds clips)

AF

Focus before recording: Works
While recording: Displays a black screen both with * and Shutter. Does not focus.

5k Ana flv
While Recording: Pressing * or half shutter, The display shows only the uppermost portion of the sensor, so it has trouble nailing focus.
1736x2930 16 fps recorded pink frames on 2 trials

1080p hf
While recording: Displays pink, but still focuses successfully

MF

1080p hf
While recording: No Zoom

5k Ana
If you press half shutter to zoom in before recording, then you record, it may give a Data Corruption error, or freeze.
I am not able to reproduce the issue on demand though (Happened twice out of 8 trials)
1104x1870 23.972 fps Recorded pink frames.

5k Ana flv
While Recording: Pressing * or shutter, The display shows only the uppermost portion of the sensor.

Sounds about as good as it gets.
3k works nicely here. Turned off focus aid. * button C.fn set to third 3.AE/AF, no AE lock. Think I get af working with all presets like this. Priority presets are:
HD 1080p
5k anamorphic frtp
2k 1:1 crop frtp
2.5k 1:1 crop frtp
2.8k 1:1 crop
HD 1080p hf

The rest are bonus ;).

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on January 11, 2023, 09:34:48 PM
Sounds about as good as it gets.
3k works nicely here. Turned off focus aid. * button C.fn set to third 3.AE/AF, no AE lock. Think I get af working with all presets like this. Priority presets are:
HD 1080p
5k anamorphic frtp
2k 1:1 crop frtp
2.5k 1:1 crop frtp
2.8k 1:1 crop
HD 1080p hf

The rest are bonus ;).

Yes, these modes are rock solid and 3k 24P 16:9 works here when using the aforementioned recommendation.
Also, I have seen a lot of folks on facebook reporting the extended recording times and overall stability.

Thanks to Bilal's Overclock and your latest work, we'll be able to squeeze a few more years out of the cam!

For the sake of completeness, the other tests I didn't report earlier today:

2.39:1

AF

5k Ana
1464x1836 will record pink frames each time you try to focus while recording. Pre-record focus works.

1304x1636 12bit 24p works well when focusing before, and while recording.

5k Ana Flv
1736x2180 12bit 19.99p, will record pink frames each time you try to focus while recording. Pre-record focus works.

Danne

New build

- Fix when focus aid turned off and using autofocus. When using frtp presets second recording would fail auftofocusing.

5k Ana and 5k Ana Flv are two presets I havn´t considered and never use so af use here will probably not work good.

parallel visuals

This is my first post to the forum and I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Danne and all other contributors without whom my whole Magic Lantern journey could not happen.

I was brave enough using the EOS M with ML for professional work, if you are interested, you may take a look at a festival aftermovie I made using the 1080p 38fps mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6hPFegjos

I was so happy with Magic Lantern that when I wanted to upgrade my setup I have chosen the 5D3. Of course an R6 or a C70 was out of my reach, but a big advantage of the EOS M and the 5D3 even compared to those cameras is that I can have raw video at relatively low (HD) resolution, which is enough for youtube/instagram and can be easily edited on computers without a GPU.

So now I am a happy owner of 3 EOS M-s and a 5D3: time to start making multicam music session videos.

If I can contribute with some testing, e.g., EOS M / 5D3 comparison of the new builds, please let me know!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: parallel visuals on January 25, 2023, 09:58:52 PM
So now I am a happy owner of 3 EOS M-s and a 5D3: time to start making multicam music session videos.

If I can contribute with some testing, e.g., EOS M / 5D3 comparison of the new builds, please let me know!

Well, I would be interested how EOS M temperature rise differs for powering options: internal Battery, dummy battery powered by 9V (powerbank with PD), dummy battery powered by 7.2/7.4 Volts (external LiON battery pack).
If you are equipped with those, of course.

dpjpandone

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 26, 2023, 08:11:17 AM
Well, I would be interested how EOS M temperature rise differs for powering options: internal Battery, dummy battery powered by 9V (powerbank with PD), dummy battery powered by 7.2/7.4 Volts (external LiON battery pack).
If you are equipped with those, of course.

I've several different powering schemes (external battery or AC adapter through step-down converter to dummy battery) It makes no difference as the lp-e12 does not generate a lot of heat to begin with

parallel visuals

Hi Walter,

Unfortunately I do not have a dummy battery. But I can say I have never had overheating problems, not even on concerts at Summer evenings (28-30 degrees Celsius). With my EOS M camera on a tripod and the screen brightness all the way down to minimum, I can record about 50-55 minutes with a fully charged battery and this almost fills a 128Gb SD card in the 1080p mode at 24 fps. Then I just change both the battery and the SD card and continue recording without any issues.

I still have to test how the 5D3 behaves in such a situation since it has a larger sensor that might be more susceptible to overheating.

whothe

Danne, thank you for all the effort and time!

Can someone pls validate:
Pink Frames @ 2023Jan29 build / HD 1080p / 3:2 / 14bit / 23,98fps
(known issue?)

No pink frames so far in
HD 1080p /16:9
Ana5kfrtp / ratio off & 16:9 & 2.35:1 & 2.39:1

Thanks again!

Danne

Validate?
Are you getting pink frames? If so, share your settings.

gabriielangel

I saw a few posts talking about the differences when recording at different bitrates. So here is a test I did last summer.

The 0 reads 98% on the eosm spot meter, and the steps are approximately 1 stop each.
The monitor is probably non-linear, so this test should be seen as relative between the different bitrates recorded and not as an absolute dynamic range test...
You can see all the metadata in the screenshots.

The MLV files and the test picture I used are in this zip file: https://bit.ly/3jhACsk

An animation you can loop, where I added 2 stops of brightness to make the differences more obvious: https://bit.ly/3XGBTbj

Here are the screenshots with the MLVApp interface so you can judge for yourselves (The signal is hotter at 14bits than at 12 and 10bits. I added an appropriate offset to judge equal exposures):

14 Bits
Bitrate-Test14bit" border="0

12 Bits
Bitrate-Test12bit" border="0

10 Bits
Bit-Rate-Test10bit" border="0

Save the pics and vids to your desktop to see full-sized.

whothe

Quote from: Danne on January 30, 2023, 12:17:23 AM
Validate?
Are you getting pink frames? If so, share your settings.

Yes, I am getting pink frames
I am using the 2023Jan29 build.

pink frames happened in

HD 1080p / 1736x1158
NTSC 24p (23.98)
ratio off
bitrate off
Digic peaking slightly sharper
waveform small

those are the only settings modifyed

SOLVED
DIGIC peaking was the problem