Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kolodiazniy

Can someone explain me
the difference in setting up aspect ratio
in "Movie" main menu and in "raw video" submenu?

Danne

In Movie menu they are optimized and customized ro each preset. Meaning mostly they will work better not causing corrupted frames and so on.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on October 06, 2022, 08:35:45 AM
New upload:

- Added ability to increase/decrease fps through a submenu.
Will alter reg 6014 directly in the preset.
Note that changes will also be saved and has to be manually set to 0 again to return to original fps. It could be abused by selecting a too high fps which will stop the preset to start obviously. You then have to start the camera in photo mode and reset fps override from there.

Tested today, works well. It would eventually be better if we could just set it to  "Off", so we could toggle when switching presets.

One thing to keep in mind, with the 4K preset, set 25 fps was used to give 4968x2078, which was very handy to make timelapses and hyperlapses while using almost the full sensor width.
I used it with set framerate at 0.25 fps (You had to set the frame rate after setting focus, as it would slow down the UI considerably) to make cloud timelapses.

It would be nice not to lose that functionality, because when using photo mode with the intervalometer, there is a limit to the number of frames you can "Transcode and Import" in mlv app.

Here is another video where I test the various fps, and I added flowers in the wind, to demonstrate how far this method could be used:
https://bit.ly/3ebL81A

And a video where I use the aforementioned 5K Timelapse: https://bit.ly/3SMGTss
(It's easier when you choose a spot where birds don't hang out...)

Danne

It still works with set_25fps when set to ON doesn't it? But the fps override function needs to be set to 0 obviously.

rev787

After reading this, I tried to tinker reg_6014 in order to get rid of dual iso crawling effect in live view.
Preliminary results below:
HD 1080p fps jumping back and forth
HD 1080p 30/46/38 not suffer @30fps, didn't try other fps
3k +1/-3
4k +2/-2
5k anamorphic +2/-2
5k anamorphic flv +2/-2
2.8k +3/-1
5k anamorphic frtp +3/-1
2.5k and 2k 1:1 are not effected.

Danne

Quote from: rev787 on October 07, 2022, 10:55:09 AM
After reading this, I tried to tinker reg_6014 in order to get rid of dual iso crawling effect in live view.
Preliminary results below:
HD 1080p fps jumping back and forth
HD 1080p 30/46/38 not suffer @30fps, didn't try other fps
3k +1/-3
4k +2/-2
5k anamorphic +2/-2
5k anamorphic flv +2/-2
2.8k +3/-1
5k anamorphic frtp +3/-1
2.5k and 2k 1:1 are not effected.
That´s nice. To permanently change these numbers one can alter regs for each preset in crop_rec.c.

kolodiazniy

Quote from: Danne on October 07, 2022, 12:03:36 AM
In Movie menu they are optimized and customized ro each preset.

Recently I used a build from 2022-05-30
where I have at 1:39
1360 (4080) X 1708 if aspect ratio set in raw submenu
and
1440 (4320) X 1806 if aspect ratio set in Movie menu.

And yesterday Danne present a new build
where we got at 1:39
1736 (5208) X 2178 (and terrible crop preview!) if aspect ratio set in raw submenu
and the same
1440 (4320) X 1806 if aspect ratio set in Movie menu.

Seting aspect ratio in Movie menu gives as the same resolution in both builds.
At the last build we got an incresed resolution, but terrible crop preview.
So setting the aspect ratio in Movie menu is still preferred.
Is this optimization you talking about?

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on October 07, 2022, 06:53:02 AM
It still works with set_25fps when set to ON doesn't it? But the fps override function needs to be set to 0 obviously.

Yes, it does. I probably didn't set it to 0 yesterday.

Danne

Quote from: kolodiazniy on October 07, 2022, 02:27:17 PM
So setting the aspect ratio in Movie menu is still preferred.
Is this optimization you talking about?

I suggest you take some time and read through this whole thread. General knowledge about how presets were created could be found both in code and by following commits over time.
If you want a fast answer you already got it two times.

kolodiazniy

Is there some way to remove unusable presets?

Danne

Yes, in code. Download it, remove whatever you want compile it and off you go.

kolodiazniy

Danne

kolodiazniy

Danne

scriptmonkey

Hi, which build would be best for EOS M, if I am interested mostly in 5k anamorphic? Danne's build plus theBilalFakhouri's 240MHz module? Or does Danne's build include the module already? Or is Danne's build already good enough for 5k anamorphic at 25 fps?

Benchmark of my card:
at 192 MHz: write=23.6, read=19.9
at 160 MHz: write=54.3, read=57.2

Walter Schulz

Get another card first. Any UHS-I card labeled W90 or up should do fine with latest sd_uhs.mo @240MHz.
Your card type?

scriptmonkey

Samsung's "up to 120MB/s". I do not know its write speed. Which card would you suggest as the most reliable in the case of EOS M + ML?

Walter Schulz

Old "Gold Standard" card was Sandisk Extreme Pro in its R170/W90 variety. Expensive one.
And no longer true. As I said: With latest sd_uhs.mo you should be happy with any UHS-I labeled W90 (or better).

gabriielangel

Does the Latest Oct 6 2022 EOS M Build includes the meaningful bits from Bilal's latest 240Mhz Module? https://bitbucket.org/bilal_fakhouri/magic-lantern/downloads/sd_uhs.mo

I found a repeatable way to record a test pattern mimicking real-life conditions, to test SD Cards capabilities (Enough detail level and average exposure).
As it will take a while to test every preset, I'd rather minimize variables...

kolodiazniy

Quote from: scriptmonkey on October 11, 2022, 02:18:40 PM
Benchmark of my card:

Now I use Kingston CANVAS Go! Plus.
It's not expensive, and gives amazing speeds.
And it's become a new "Gold Standard", because Sandisk Extreme Pro just has no more sence.

far.in.out

Quote from: kolodiazniy on October 15, 2022, 04:27:20 PM
Now I use Kingston CANVAS Go! Plus.
It's not expensive, and gives amazing speeds.
And it's become a new "Gold Standard", because Sandisk Extreme Pro just has no more sence.
Sounds interesting. Can you specify which card you used? exact model? what speeds do you get, what settings/hacks activated?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

kolodiazniy

Quote from: far.in.out on October 20, 2022, 10:49:33 PM
Can you specify which card you used?
I use 256 GB model. You can use any of "CANVAS Go! Plus" line, but 64 GB model is a little bit slower.
Here is official datasheet, where you can read all information you need: kingston.com/datasheets/sdg3_en.pdf

As for settings I shot in "5K anamorphic" - the best usable mode, I think.
I trying do not activate hacks at all, but it depends on exposition (if you don't know).
The main rule is: the more picture is bright - the more bitrate you get.

essbe

Bought the Kingston Canvas Go! Plus microSD 128gb with micro sd adapter. Unfortunately it does not seem to work with the 240mhz overclock. It works in 160mhz and then I get 59MB/s read and write in movie mode and about 69MB/s in play mode.

Walter Schulz

This would be the first case of an incompatible W90 UHS-I card.
Please give exact build name. See Help screen/tab.
Have you tried to replace build's sd_uhs.mo file with Bilal's?
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26634.0