Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabriielangel

I were wondering if a static target gave the lossless compression too much slack when testing.
It turns out that the difference between a moving or a static image is 1MB/s @ 2.5k 14 bit.

BUT

The difference between a frame exposed at 92% exposure (0.2 EV before clipping) and a frame exposed at 80% (about 1.0 EV before clipping)
is about 3.3 MB/s

Looking at Walter's Evo Plus figures (I will have a look at my Sandisk numbers tomorrow, there are a lot...), I think the exposure is worth taking into account when testing.

MLV-Files-Bitrate-Test" border="0

Finder-Files-Bitrate-Test" border="0

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on September 15, 2022, 06:56:47 AM
Thanks for sharing tests.
What if you disable histogram? Do you enable both hacks as well from bilal? lvface + aewb?

Leaving the histogram on doesn't extend the recording times. I reviewed the clips, and I did not get any frame corruptions though.
We're beyond the 20 minute mark at 2.5k, so it's hard to know. I will try at 3K on the next batch.

It works well at displaying overs (and avoids the pink frames) at 2.5k and 5kfrtp (And 1080p I assume?), but not accurate at all at other resolutions.
You could add an entry in your special menu as False Colors + Histogram. I put the False Colors on the SET button, and it is very quick to operate on/off.

I posted the figures for lvface+aewb in the Sandisk Ultra post last week.

Also, I previously reported that the 3k 24p preset was finnicky regarding the shutter, but it happens to all presets as soon as lvface+aewb is enabled (Sometimes 1/49, sometimes 1/50, without enabling shutter fine-tuning)

Danne

Uploaded yet another build.

I created below resolutions for continouos 24fps anamorphic
1664x2088 24fps
1664x2124 24fps

To enable them select:
5k anamorphic flv and enable 2.39:1 or 2.35:1 ratio. Final step enable set 25fps to enable 24fps. Yes I know it´s contradictory but I have so little time to finalize properly.
Please test and report if working.

EDIT: Seems these presets creates frame corruption. Let´s keep it for a while and tests.
EDIT:
Reverted back from adding the new presets. Too buggy.

cedricp

Yep, just tested it, lot of pink frames.... Too bad, cause it improves image quality on non pink frames :)

Danne

Unfortunately bad timing for me tweaking this but might look into it later.
It is more stable in x3 zoom mode the way it's done with the ansmorphic real time preview but that's another rough patch to climb. I think bilal has the regs done on 700d already, at least for framing.

far.in.out

With these new speeds available, how much more resolution / crop factor reduction can we get in 1x3 mode ?
Is it time to make some new presets or adjustments for 5K frtp?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

theBilalFakhouri

Real-Time preview is limited to current 1x3 resolutions.
Going above current 1x3 resolutions --> you no longer have correct real-time preview, a part of preview will be missing.

650D/700D can do 1736x2214 1x3 @ 23.976 FPS 2.35:1 (full sensor width), and it's continuous in 11-bit lossless (hacks enabled). of course with stretched preview.
I don't think that EOS M / 100D can do the same, due to little slower sensor compared to 650D/700D. Will give it a try on 100D soon.

Danne

I got 1736x2178 24fps working. Very nice!
It works with framing atm. But It´s possible to tweak 0xC0F383D4 and 0xC0F383DC I think to at least have the croppped preview right? ANy hints on those numbers? WHat do you set it to for 700D?

cannibalferox

Quick question whats the prefered 48fps or 50fps setting to go for as of now? Zeek has only one two year old instruction maybe some of you could share which resolution, aspect ratio and bitdepth you use without getting pink frames etc :)

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Danne on September 19, 2022, 02:54:38 PM
I got 1736x2178 24fps working. Very nice!
It works with framing atm. But It´s possible to tweak 0xC0F383D4 and 0xC0F383DC I think to at least have the croppped preview right? ANy hints on those numbers? WHat do you set it to for 700D?

Cool

That can be achieved by applying the preset in 1080p or 720p modes, I didn't touch preview registers. I can achieve this preset by crop_new module on 700D.
On EOS M you can do it in default 1080p which will act as 720p mode. No need to use x5 mode.

Danne

Eosm is not optimal in 1080p mode. A lot of corruption. x3 seems handling this corruption free.

theBilalFakhouri

More likely corruption can be fixed by tweaking some registers. applying the 1736x2214 preset on 700D in 1080p or 720p modes is working perfectly.

I think I made 1736x2214 in x5 mode in the past in crop_rec.c, it's included in my 650D/700D source code and it's called:
CROP_PRESET_1x3_full_width

In that preset I only tweaked 0xC0F38024 to solve broken preview. But the preview is still vertically and horizontal cropped.

Danne

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 19, 2022, 03:53:09 PM
More likely corruption can be fixed by tweaking some registers. applying the 1736x2214 preset on 700D in 1080p or 720p modes is working perfectly.
Be my guest ;). All my presets before your real time magic was built around 1080p concept. Also heavily tested around movie crop mode. It's not working the same as the other cams if you ask me.
Could I ask for source code links to your stuff :P? So many posts.

Danne

gabriielangel

I tested Today's build with 5kflv (Downloaded 2 hours ago),

It doesn't work for me at 23.976 fps (lvface+aewb), but it works at 19.999 fps (Even with only lvface, And at that res, the sharpness is quite nice).

I tried with both Sandisk Extreme Pro cards I have, with SDR50 and SDR104 patches.

Trials here: (I stopped by myself close to 20 seconds if it kept going. 10 am+ is the newest card, 11 am+ is the older card)
Tests" border="0

Danne

I have a version working with 1736x2178. Will try and get cropped realtime preview at least also working before pushing something new out.

cedricp

Can't wait to try it !! 5K is my preferred mode because of its "almost-no-crop" nature :)

gabriielangel

Great!

I have results I will post later today. There seems to be some temperature throttling going on.
The temperature polling is not always realtime, but I saw that when it stops recording (On 15 min+ trials, I kept recording while I were watching movies yesterday; the recording stops and then you see that the temp is 50-52 Degrees C)

Bernandelli

Can someone explain to me please what are ALL differences advantages/disadvantages between ''stock'' 1080p raw mode and so called ''5k'' mode?

Danne

New version out:

- 5k 2.39:1 now works 24fps(1x3 aka anamorphic)

Enable framing preview. Cropped real time preview also works thanks to this EngDrvOutLV(0xC0F38024, 0x45301c7);

Follow these settings to achieve 1736x2178 = 5208x2178

gabriielangel

Quote from: Bernandelli on September 20, 2022, 12:06:17 AM
Can someone explain to me please what are ALL differences advantages/disadvantages between ''stock'' 1080p raw mode and so called ''5k'' mode?

If you are technically inclined, you can start by reading this: https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/pixel_binning

Otherwise, The main differences are:

Field of view:
1080p will give you a wider field of view than 5K frtp, because a larger portion of the sensor is sampled.

Resolution:
5k frtp will give you a more detailed image with less aliasing and less moiré.
Technical reason being that although a smaller portion of the sensor is sampled, none of the pixels are discarded (and more pixels from the sensor contribute to the final image). Each line is kept and each group of 3 columns is averaged.
for 1080p, only 1 line out of 3 contributes to the final image, and each group of 3 columns is averaged.

Disk Space:
5k frtp will obviously consume a lot more disk space than 1080p

High Frame rates:
1080p gives you the ability to record at 40fps Edit: 50fps with the latest 240Mhz Build to get slow motion effects, 5k frtp does not.

Using an external monitor:
It is a lot easier to use an external monitor in 1080p mode.

If you want to see what can be done using the 1080p mode, have a look at this guy's channel, he knows what he is doing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ28_AuqkDcipyqHoRTV76Q  AND this channel for 5k frtp: https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidKhoirul/videos

For good tutorials, you can check out Zeek's channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ZeekEOSZ

And if you REALLY want to get comfortable with this camera, the only way is to start from the first post of the current thread and read everything up to this point, as there is no documentation per se :)

gabriielangel

Some Benchmarks for the Sandisk Extreme Pro 170 128GB (The one which didn't work at 240MHz at first. Does anyone have a better way to call it?)

Sandisk-Extreme-Pro-170-128-GB-SDSDXXY-128-G-GN4-IN-Report1" border="0

And the one for the Sandisk Extreme 256GB for comparison:

Sandisk-Extreme-SDSQXA1-256-G-GN6-MA-Report2" border="0

I hope the layout isn't too confusing. I will fill the missing spots as things progress. If something useful is missing, please let me know.

What I found out is that in order for this kind of bench to be significant, each measurement must be taken at least 3 times (Which I didn't do for the Record until Failure column).

For 2.8k 10 bit 192MHz, i did, and I got 3 completely different values: 3:50, 6:53 and 16:28 minutes with lvface hack.

It is also important to record a consistently exposed frame. Try recording 2.8k 14 bit with the lens cap on / off to see what I mean :)

There seems to be some kind of thermal throttling going on, because some times, even though I have Green Light / Immortal; the recording stops. At which point even recording 2.5k 10 bits won't go past 4 seconds (And like I said previously, the temperature displayed is at or above 50 Degrees C). You then have to turn off the camera, wait a little, and start again.

The Sandisk Extreme Pro SD 170 runs slightly cooler at 240MHz than the Sandisk Exterme Micro SD

Finally, Remember that when you use lvface+aewb, you cannot change the shutter angle (Shutter Fine-Tuning) and you will need to fix the white balance for every clip. So if you are strict about color accuracy or if you have a lot of clips to process, it will make your life easier if you film a white card at the beginning of each take.

The cuts in most movies are less than 20 seconds long, so... This new 240MHz mode rocks!

Danne

Shameless bump  8)

New version out:

- 5k 2.39:1 now works 24fps(1x3 aka anamorphic)

Enable framing preview. Cropped real time preview also works thanks to this EngDrvOutLV(0xC0F38024, 0x45301c7);(Thanks thBilalFakhouri)

Follow these settings to achieve 1736x2178 = 5208x2178

Danne

New build:
Missed a few pixels on the right. Fixed now!