Author Topic: Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M  (Read 210460 times)

ZEEK

• Senior
Re: Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M
« Reply #3075 on: November 24, 2021, 10:53:11 PM »
Great!
 FPS override doesn't work too well with all modes unfortunately, especially when using monitors. 2.5K HDMI is a nice mode 👌
EOS M

ML700D

« Reply #3076 on: November 25, 2021, 04:07:17 AM »
Great!
 FPS override doesn't work too well with all modes unfortunately, especially when using monitors. 2.5K HDMI is a nice mode 👌

Hi zeek.. I watch some of your video in youtube, you did great footage video. 
EOS 700D

RhythmicEye

• New to the forum
« Reply #3077 on: November 25, 2021, 04:54:32 AM »
Great!

Yeah it's my favourite and being able to use FPS override is very useful for keeping audio in sync so it can be used as a guide track without timeline drift. There is a workaround for everything though and 1080 and 5K modes are simply awesome.

Indeed we all owe you a debt of gratitude for your many great videos over the years. Thank you mate, much appreciated.

clubsoda

• New to the forum
« Reply #3078 on: January 14, 2022, 11:17:24 AM »
Is it possible to recenter the 2k frtp mode? It is one of the most useful but i noticed it is not fully centered on some c mount lenses that i use. When i use the 1080 mode with 3x crop the lens is perfectly centered. In 2k some lens vignette on one side.

Danne

• Developer
« Reply #3079 on: January 14, 2022, 09:40:20 PM »
I think so. Not been into modifiyng regs for a while but you could check how it's done following this thread and modify numbers from crop rec sub menu.
Check into @2blackbar here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25781.msg224029;topicseen#msg224029

Nibby99

• New to the forum
« Reply #3080 on: January 15, 2022, 04:05:21 PM »
@Danne Not sure what the heck might be going on but I had been using the camera successfully with my Feelworld F5 pro and I think the newest crop_rec build for a few months at least. Up until a few days ago I could get 1080p / 2k 1:1 FRTP / 2.5k HDMI /5k FRTP all working properly on the monitor.

I was having some trouble with some settings and I just said, heck with it, I'll reformat the card and reinstall ML. Suffice to say suddenly my 2.5K HDMI and 2K 1:1 modes suddenly on the right half of the screen are distorted and the left side appears squashed but visible? I used the latest build but now I'm wondering if I had some older obscure build on that maybe that is why it was working all this time (as a side not when I first got the monitor even the 1080p live view was freezing, at some point it started working maybe because I tried a later build)
I've posted some screenshots below to demonstrate the issue, so far I've put the latest build on both my EOS-M's and tried two different cables, initially I thought it could be monitor related but I have pretty much ruled that out when I tried hooking it up to one of my Desktop 27" Benq monitors and the distortion is identical on that. 1080P and 5K still show proper on the monitor.

I'm starting to wonder if it's some obscure Canon based setting that might be doing this as I often use the cameras for photography as well with a really old build of ML. I have tried two different SANDisk Extreme Pro 64MB cards and that changed nothing. I'm not familiar with the mechanism by which Magic Lantern loads but from how I understand it it simply sets a boot flag in the firmware of the camera that then points to the SD card to load ML. I was worried that somehow it was keeping a previous setting so I re-flashed the firmware in the canon GUI/camera settings. Basically if I have the newest ML build on the SD card it should only pick up settings from there. I have cleared the cameras settings and custom function settings to no avail. I'm utterly at a loss as to what might be going on. @Zeek had mentioned not to use FPS override or fine tuning but nothing of that is set. Ideas?  ???

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3081 on: January 15, 2022, 04:12:14 PM »
Help tab -> Bottom lines
There you will find the version info.
https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#which_magic_lantern_build_is_running_on_my_camera

Nibby99

• New to the forum
« Reply #3082 on: January 15, 2022, 04:41:45 PM »
Help tab -> Bottom lines
There you will find the version info.
https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#which_magic_lantern_build_is_running_on_my_camera

Thank you, for the likes of me I didn't see that in there. I'm hoping Danne is able to help diagnose my problem with the monitor distortion happening in 2.5K HDMI and 2K 1:1 presets.

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3083 on: January 15, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »
?
All builds have their build information there.

Danne

• Developer
« Reply #3084 on: January 15, 2022, 11:40:54 PM »
Sorry. Never use monitors. Try ask ZEEK maybe?

Corallaro

• New to the forum
« Reply #3085 on: January 19, 2022, 09:31:51 AM »
Hi
I have the same problem of Nibby99 with my new Lilliput A5 with "crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2021Jun26.EOSM202"
Later i try some old release.
If anyone found a solution.....

Corallaro

• New to the forum
« Reply #3086 on: January 20, 2022, 10:47:51 PM »
Hi
I have tested "M RAW 2021 JUNE26 Settings.zip" from Zeek (Danne release with Zeek configs) and with 2k preset on external monitor (my Lilliput A5) is ok but 2.5 preset NO.
Then i have tested "EOS-M Zeek Settings [Danne Build FEB04].zip" and with 2.5 k preset is OK.
At this point i will test the "crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2021Feb04.EOSM202.zip"

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3087 on: January 21, 2022, 08:32:12 AM »
At this point i will test the "crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2021Feb04.EOSM202.zip"

Tap the screen to access quick presets and use 2.5K HDMI Preset. The original 2.5K will cause lots of dropped fames. 5K FRTP or 1080 should be okay too with Danne's latest build. I use the Feelworld F5/F6 Plus and also Portkeys. 2.5K HDMI is my favourite with monitors. 
EOS M

Corallaro

• New to the forum
« Reply #3088 on: January 21, 2022, 09:07:53 AM »
Many many thanks Zeek,
Later I test it.

Ciao
Giovanni

Corallaro

• New to the forum
« Reply #3089 on: January 23, 2022, 01:36:21 AM »
Hi Zeek....
I certainly don't have understand what ho to do and wich release i need to use.
My test is failed.
Can you tell me how to do, step by step?
Many thanks
Giovanni

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3090 on: January 23, 2022, 02:14:34 AM »
I talk about my monitor settings for the EOS M in this video @9:04
I'm using Dianne's latest June 2021 build. However it doesn't seem to be up on Bitbucket right now.
EOS M

IDA_ML

« Reply #3091 on: January 23, 2022, 07:56:18 AM »
Nice and very informative video, thanks a lot Zeek.

I have a question.  The camera needs 7,4V for proper operation.  How do you adjust that voltage in your power bank and how do you prevent it from outputing more than 8,4V which could damage your camera?

ML700D

« Reply #3092 on: January 23, 2022, 04:47:04 PM »
Nice and very informative video, thanks a lot Zeek.

I have a question.  The camera needs 7,4V for proper operation.  How do you adjust that voltage in your power bank and how do you prevent it from outputing more than 8,4V which could damage your camera?
I think he use this..(dummy battery) like mine for 700d.
EOS 700D

IDA_ML

« Reply #3093 on: January 23, 2022, 08:03:32 PM »
I think he use this..(dummy battery) like mine for 700d.

This means that there is a DC-DC stepup converter (5V to 7,4 V) inside the dummy battery. Possible but I doubt it, for thermal dissipation reasons.  It is not good if it dissipates thermal power inside the camera.  It would be much better if the converter is inside the power bank.  Such variable voltage power banks do exist but I do not know how the output voltage is adjusted at the desired value.

ML700D

« Reply #3094 on: January 23, 2022, 08:58:41 PM »
This means that there is a DC-DC stepup converter (5V to 7,4 V) inside the dummy battery. Possible but I doubt it, for thermal dissipation reasons.  It is not good if it dissipates thermal power inside the camera.  It would be much better if the converter is inside the power bank.  Such variable voltage power banks do exist but I do not know how the output voltage is adjusted at the desired value.

not inside the dummy but inside the usb I think, I tested using voltmeter in the output jack is around 8.4v
EOS 700D

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3095 on: January 23, 2022, 10:15:16 PM »
I use this dummy adapted for the EOS M:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiG4Mvj5Mj1AhVOJSsKHah4DiAYABANGgJzZg&ae=2&sig=AOD64_1AIceOPJYJJV2Lsdsx3QtPQRg1kQ&ctype=70&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiN-cLj5Mj1AhXj63MBHRT0ApUQwg96BAgBEBA&adurl=
The built-in protective IC of the mini adapter has multiple safety protections to protect the camera from excessive current, overheating and overcharging.
EOS M

IDA_ML

« Reply #3096 on: January 24, 2022, 01:36:27 AM »
Thanks Zeek, this makes sense.  The DC-DC converter is built inside the hexagonal piece between the powerbank and the dummy. It converts the 5V coming out of the power bank to 8,4V going inside the dummy.  In this way the heat generated by the converter is dissipated outside the camera.  The dummy just contains the regular protection circuit which does not dissipate heat.  Quite clever, indeed.

I built my own external power supply using 2x 18650 lithium ion cells of 3400 mAh capacity each, connected in series for 7,4V output.  I paid 8$ for both.  For the dummy I used the case of an old battery.  I just took out the two damaged cells and connected the protection circuit inside the case with the two LiIon cells via a short cable going through the hole on the battery door.  The whole thing weighs 70 grams and allows at least 9 hours of operation without turning the camera off.  I filled 6 cards of 128 GB each with 1280x2160 footage in that time and still had some power left.  The greatest advantages of this external power supply is that you can minimize the cable length in such manner that the cable does not dangle around and is not in the way during filming and also it is fully compatible with the original EOS-M charger which takes about 5 hours for safe charging.  The full charge voltage is 8,26V and the red indicator in the camera starts blinking at about 7V.  Camera shuts down at 6,2V.    The thermal indicator never showed more than 57 deg. C at room temperature.  In regular life view the EOS-M draws about 400 mA which increases to about 420 mA while recording.  For the 18650 cells these are very relaxed operating conditions, so a battery pack like this should last forever if used in a regular manner, say every day or once in a week.  If, however, you just use your camera a few times a year, battery life will degrade quite quickly. 

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3097 on: January 24, 2022, 06:43:26 PM »
Interesting  ;)
Sounds like a nice Powerbank, especially @70 Grams! These things are game changer for the EOS M. Just wished they made shorter DC Cables.
EOS M

ML700D

« Reply #3098 on: January 25, 2022, 03:37:38 AM »

EOS 700D

IDA_ML

« Reply #3099 on: January 25, 2022, 12:47:21 PM »
Interesting  ;)
Sounds like a nice Powerbank, especially @70 Grams! These things are game changer for the EOS M. Just wished they made shorter DC Cables.

Yes Zeek, I plan to make a small battery holder that attaches to the camera hot shoe.  In this case the cable will go underneath the lens and be directly plugged in into the battery pack holder.  Since it can be very thin and short, it will not be in the way at all.  This will make the system very convenient for hand held and gimbal shooting.   In this way the EOS-M will be the smallest and lightest travel RAW-video camera with independent power supply worldwide.  With a 512 GB card you can film an entire rock concert in 4k, (1280x2160 anamorphic/12bit/24fps - about 2,5 hours continuous recording), without running out of power or card space!  Nice, isn't it?