Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

https://www.youtube.com/c/ZeekEOSZ/videos -> View both parts of "The CHEAPEST RAW Cinema Camera Money Can Buy!". There is a build linked with predefined settings.

far.in.out

OK, made some progress.
Couple of questions.

1.  5K an works OK but seems to be res limited, right? Can't go higher than 1104x1864?
2.  5K an frtp goes higher and has realtime proper framing... But stops working after a few seconds? Is this how it is at the moment or is it just me doing something wrong?
3.  5K an flv is 16fps? Do I need to override fps here or is it supposed to be like that? What's the point of this mode? Is it just higher res or something else too?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

2blackbar

you have a lot to catxh up to, read and watch zeek vids , easiest route so you wont be asking questions
- m has a lot of rcording modes., highest true res in 24fps is 2800*somethindont remember., in cinemascope crop ratio,about super 16mm frame size not aps-c.
- 5k is slightly better detail than normal 1768* somethin hd mode but isnt real 5k.there are modes with low fps and higher res but 2.8k is highest true res with 24fps
- 3k will drop frames in 24fps, camera card reader is not fast enough to catch up with raw stream.5k and 16 fps is probably actual 5k but higher than 16 wont record without dropping frames.
- m is a true  2.8 k raw camera.other higher res modes upscale in post unless you shoot with low fps.

Danne

Read first post and then embrace the posts that follows.
In short. Install magic lantern and use tap display presets. They all are continuous with Movie tab ratios with default settings.
Start messing around, expect all kind of surprises.

If you still not get continuous please share either screen recordings or complete information of all your settings.

Welcome aboard the m train by the way ;).

far.in.out

I've been watching Zeek's videos for last 3 days)))

I'm interested only in 1x3 binning mode, 24fps cont, without corrupted frames, with correct framing realtime preview (also via HDMI) if possible?
Then maximize the resolution (and minimize crop factor) while keeping all of the above working.

OK, I'll try tap presets. Figured out flv needs 25fps enabled...
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

Danne

I already maxed resolutions.
5k anamorphic frtp is the pinnacle preset for this cam imo. Stick to Movie tab ratios and you should be fine. It's not perfect. Once in a while cam needs a restart.
1x3 binning is more than a simple uprez mode. It more or less solves heavy aliasing and makes this camera a 4k cinema cam. Way better than hd 1080p.

far.in.out

I know. This was the reason why I abandoned raw a few years back. 1x3 binning is a game changer as far as I can see. And I don't even care about 4K. 720p/1080p is more than enough. It all boils down to removing aliasing, crop factor and monitoring.

I tried the frtp tap preset and it IS continuous. Holy shit! And HDMI is working too. Much respect to you Danne and all the devs who made this happen.

Do you guys think any of these phone headsets would be useful for monitoring and focusing (via HDMI)?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

2blackbar

i monitorr using phone and hdmi usb grabber but battery drains very fast , this ssetup is possible but its just better to use monitor with own battery.
unless you have dc adapter close.
youd need 120hz phone tonavoid heqdache in vr

far.in.out

I think you can connect phone and the cam via a hub that supports simultaneous charging. I'm powering my cam from a 20K mah usb powerbank, might power the phone from it too.
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

2blackbar

i have that one, didnt testes yet like that tho

far.in.out

What is the highest stable write speed with eos M and what uhs overclock preset is used for this?
I need a faster card, wondering which one to get. I know that Sandisk ex pro 95 170 are recommended. Just wondering what exactly is possible with this cam.
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

IDA_ML

Quote from: far.in.out on April 03, 2021, 09:55:41 PM
What is the highest stable write speed with eos M and what uhs overclock preset is used for this?
I need a faster card, wondering which one to get. I know that Sandisk ex pro 95 170 are recommended. Just wondering what exactly is possible with this cam.

With the Sandisk ex pro 95 170 card I get 77,6 - 77,8 MB/s write speeds in the Play mode with Global draw: OFF.  This is at the SD-overclocking speed of 192 MHz which is stable enough for me.

far.in.out

Got a SanDisk Extreme 150MB 128GB, benchmark shows around 60MBps write with 192MHz overclock. 1280x2160 and 1920x1080 is cont, both 14bit 24fps.

How do I start recording with a manual lens? Doesn't seem to react to me pressing rec with a manual lens.
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: far.in.out on April 05, 2021, 06:31:45 PM
How do I start recording with a manual lens? Doesn't seem to react to me pressing rec with a manual lens.

RTFM, page 283/287. C.Fn IV Operation/Others -> 7 "Release shutter w/o lens"

amitkattal

Does rack focus setting work ? I tried to set focus distance with  15-45mm af lens but doesnt seem to work

Walter Schulz

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/features.html -> Focus -> RACK_FOCUS
Not supported in nightly builds. Just tried Danne's build and Rack Focus worked. Lack of arrow key support, though. Used macro EF 100/2.8 L IS USM.

amitkattal

How did u made it work?. There are only two settings . Focus end point and rack focus. But in focus end point, no matter how much I move dial and change , the focus doesn't move. Is there any setting on camera that needs to be done?

Walter Schulz

Select "Focus End Point". Press dial left or right -> entry changes to "+/- steps from here". Change to "Rack focus" and press Set.

garry23

QuoteHow did u made it work?

EF-M lens vs EF lens with an adapter.

Maybe  ;)

amitkattal

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 09, 2021, 09:35:45 PM
Select "Focus End Point". Press dial left or right -> entry changes to "+/- steps from here". Change to "Rack focus" and press Set.

Well I guess something wrong with my lens because when when I do that and entry changes with + and - the focus doesn't change.maybe it doesnt work with ef-m lenses

2blackbar

If i would want to swap "set" button funcionality to make it go into 1:1 1920x1280 mode  with good preview would simply swapping names around in ML source work ?  i just want that mode to be accessed quicker.
Or is there some other way?

Danne

You have to learn a lot around crop_rec.c code but a good and useful experience.
I rewired buttons a lot and it´s in this function:
static unsigned int crop_rec_keypress_cbr(unsigned int key)
You can start looking for the MODULE_KEY_PRESS_SET button and then you need to understand how to switch presets and probably store the old one if you want fast access.

2blackbar

Danne i asked previously about it (fps override) but i think that in older builds from 2019-2020 i was able to use 16fps with shutter 32 in crop modes like 1:1 or 2.8k, i cant do it now, i can use 16fps and shutter 32 with uncropped 1080 tho.
Is it possible somehow to unlock lower shutter values ? Now lowest shutter in 1:1 crop 1920x1280 is 1/48, when i go lower then its like 4000 again.
Im using it for 8mm film emulation , 16fps and 180degree shutter which is about 32.
fps override code is a separate code you didnt worked on ? Maybe i could bring more shutter values in 1:1 or 2.8k crop modes on my own but i have no clue where to look.

Danne

Enable shutter range I think it's called.

2blackbar

aaah... 10 years with magic lantern and im still a noob  :P