Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

General rule when optimizing presets: first minimize timer A. You'll want to stop as soon as you start getting black columns on the right side, or any other kind of image corruption.

This will minimize the rolling shutter for a given resolution. At the same time, since you'll need to increase timer B in order to keep the frame rate, this could help you squeeze a few more pixels vertically.

References:
- arbitrary resolution crop_rec PoC for 700D: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg205546#msg205546 (around line 930)
- my old 700D notes (same timings expected for EOS M): https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg205464#msg205464
- Bilal's 700D notes: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg197870#msg197870
- Same explanation for 70D: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg205996#msg205996
- several other posts scattered throughout the forum :D

Danne

Thanks. That´s easy enough to work with. Most presets I built used described workflow above but a few have been tweaked with resolution and reducing corrupted frames in mind. I guess revisiting timers might be good project for the future or anyone with an interest. I´ll guide anyone into specific code parts if so. @2blackbar maybe?

2blackbar

I can tinker when i get enviroment installed again, i hope not much was changed in how it was done, im currently investigating if higher or lower rolling shutter values give me that motion blur im after, cause i see that exact fps actually has bigger rolling shutter value than other fps override presets and  ill try if i can get the motion blur in 2.8k to look similar to non crop.
In 1080mcm With 17.8(lowest rolling shutter settingi can get ) and 1/50 i get typical motion blur as if not using fps override, with 18.8 which has exact fps setting i get i think less motion blur but i can get shutter 1/45 to make it less stuttering than 1/50 while not looking like internaced cause of too much blur, and i got 25.5 rolling shutter to try it out , that gave me even less blur but i have to test that out by filming moving subjects.
Its boring stuff for someone who doesnt care but im trying to find a way to get rid of micro jitters while maintaing nice motion blur, dont care if it says shutter 1/40, if it looks good for me then its good.
Thats why i filmed wits exact fps and 1/41 shutter a lot, i could go handheld and not have micro jitters like on 1/50 because motion blur actually looks different.
I know that progressive 24fps footage stutters with 1/50 shutter but not as much as DSLR's and theres a bit of info on it how rolling shutter affects that.But here i actually use higher rolling shutter values to drown micro stutter in motion blur cause that blur looks different, withhout fps override and shutter 1/45 footage already starts to look like interlaced with too much motion blur.

Basicaly , motion blur without fps override and 1/50 looks more like its current frame and previous frame but the moving part (thats supposed to be smudged out) is just 2 frames in one.It looks to stuttery for me, with fps override exact fps and 1/45 or 41 shutter i get better non stuttery motion blur.
That regular motion blur without any fps override turned on looks Kinda like this :

https://www.red.com/red-101/cinema-temporal-aliasing
So im looking really for blur characteristics not lower or higher rolling shutter values just to get best math results, im just sharing the info in case i forget later.

byrd

Thanks for the amazing new build, Danne! The longer record times in 2.5k 2520x1418 preset are amazing; really maximizing the coverage with c-mount lenses.

I have a question about resolution in the anamorphic presets. I feel like a saw a post ages ago about getting a bit more vertical resolution at the expense of horizontal but I can't find it anymore, so apologies for going over old ground:

I am shooting in 3:2 and so was wondering if there was some setting I could tweak to get like 1168x2334 at 24p, which if I understand correctly is slightly less data than the beautifully functioning 1280x2160 at 16:9? For my application I don't need frtp or real-time preview, just framing.

Also, I think I might be doing something wrong, but the max resolution I can get at 24p in the 5k anamorphic preset is lower than in the 5k anamorphic frtp preset. Am I missing a trick with ratio in the movie menu, or set 25fps or similar?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Danne

Quote from: byrd on February 03, 2021, 01:39:41 PM
I am shooting in 3:2 and so was wondering if there was some setting I could tweak to get like 1168x2334 at 24p, which if I understand correctly is slightly less data than the beautifully functioning 1280x2160 at 16:9? For my application I don't need frtp or real-time preview, just framing.

Also, I think I might be doing something wrong, but the max resolution I can get at 24p in the 5k anamorphic preset is lower than in the 5k anamorphic frtp preset. Am I missing a trick with ratio in the movie menu, or set 25fps or similar?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
I can´t come closer than maybe around 2280 in height.
Need more info regrding resolution. Not sure what you are asking for. Could you write out the resolutions?

byrd

Quote from: Danne on February 03, 2021, 02:16:10 PM
I can´t come closer than maybe around 2280 in height.

Those extra 100 pixels would still be helpful!

Quote from: Danne on February 03, 2021, 02:16:10 PM
Need more info regrding resolution. Not sure what you are asking for. Could you write out the resolutions?

Sorry was unclear. This was a separate question, just trying to understand the difference between the presets.

In "5k anamorphic" preset with ratio set to off, resolution can go up to 1736x3256 (1736x2928 in the case of 16:9 aspect ratio) but only at 14p. Obvs if I turn ratio on to 16:9 I get 24p but then I can't select resolution above 1104x1864 in raw menu.

In "5k anamorphic flv" as you know I can get up to 1736x2930 at 18p if ratio and set 25p are both on, but in this preset there seems to be no way to get 24p.

But then if I choose "5k anamorphic frtp" with ratio off the max resolution I get is 1360x1976 but when I turn ratio on to 16:9 the resolution goes up to 1280x2160 at 24p.

So my second question was one of curiosity rather than request for feature. When I was exploring and trying to see if there was any way to use 1x3 binning with a 3:2 ratio to get higher than 1088x2160 resolution, I was testing out the limits of each of these three 5k ana presets and noticed the "5k anamorphic" preset had a lower max resolution than the "5k anamorphic frtp" at 16:9 and I just wanted to understand why.

What's got me confused is that in the 2.5k modes, setting ratio in movie menu seems to cap resolution at whatever is safe and continuous, but if I turn ration off, I can push resolution higher in raw tab. But in 5k ana frtp it seems to be the opposite?

byrd

Of course in 5k ana frtp, the 1360x1976 and 1280x2160 are very similar amounts of data, so if there was a way to access 1140x2280 that would be wonderful!

Danne

Quote from: byrd on February 03, 2021, 03:20:05 PM
Of course in 5k ana frtp, the 1360x1976 and 1280x2160 are very similar amounts of data, so if there was a way to access 1140x2280 that would be wonderful!

New version in first post.

Added resolution 1136x2280 into the mix. To access it atm do following:
Select preset 5K anamorphic flv
Set ratio to OFF
Enable set 25Fps

Should get you 24fps and 1136x2280. Couldn´t spot any focus pixels in this preset but if you find any please tell and I add a pixel map.
Only works without corrupted frames with preview set to LV frozen and this gives you framing preview. This is done automatically. No real time preview.

byrd

Quote from: Danne on February 04, 2021, 11:08:45 AM
Should get you 24fps and 1136x2280. Couldn´t spot any focus pixels in this preset but if you find any please tell and I add a pixel map.
Only works without corrupted frames with preview set to LV frozen and this gives you framing preview. This is done automatically. No real time preview.

This is AMAZING, thank you so much! Just tried and it works perfectly, recorded 1 minute at 14bit with no corruption. Not seeing any focus pixels either. It's perfect with my normal eos m lenses. Tried it again with Kiev 16u Vega 20mm to see what sensor coverage was like (in case it made that lens more usable with this mode) and horizontally it's centred but vertically it looks like the framing might be a bit higher than centred?

https://ibb.co/m4Nx6fW

I can't believe I'm whining when you've done such an awesome thing in less than 24h... It's not a complaint! Just had a look through posts from 2blackbar in Nov 2019 about adjusting framing in crop mode but it was over my head. Is it easyish to shift the whole framing down like 400 pixels or so? (that's just a guess)

Thank you again

Danne

You can adjust cmos 7 from the sub menu. Start by setting it to 2a0 and start from there.

byrd

Quote from: Danne on February 04, 2021, 01:05:00 PM
You can adjust cmos 7 from the sub menu. Start by setting it to 2a0 and start from there.

OK I can go as far as 2a2 and it helps! But if I go further I get a white bar at the bottom, in both framing view and in the actual video. It seems like 2a5 is where I want to be for the top corners.

EDIT: actually at 2a2 there are two rows of white pixels at the bottom and one row of magenta

Danne

Could you try around cmos 7 and number 324?

EDIT: Or even test 303.

byrd

CMOS 7 at 325 is perfect. I tried to save as custom mode but it didn't remember. Do I have to reset CMOS 7 each time I want to use this preset?

Danne

Not intended for saving settings. More for testing. Anyway. Updated first build with cmos 7 set to 325.
Thanks.

byrd

2blackbar

Great to see new modes introduced by Danne in this camera , downloading !

vicenzzopaiva

I must say, Danne, you're a hero!
It's a 2012 camera and we're seeing 4k+ RAW video coming out of it... that's insane.
There's any way that i could support you? I've seen you also work on other models builds and i'm thinking of getting a 70D as my primary camera with ML (flip screen, wifi, viewfinder, DPAF)... would you recommend it?

Anyway, returning to the M, can i just overwrite the files of the old build with the new ones in the SD or do i need to uninstall ML, format the card and reinstall it? I usually have some footage in my SD, specially when traveling, and would be great if i didn't need to backup the files to my phone (do not have a computer rn) then put it back into the SD to update the build.

tldr: can i just copy the new build into the sd and replace the files to update the build?
EOS M - 2.0.2 - Danne's feb21 build
70D    - 1.1.2 - ArcziPL's mar19 build

Walter Schulz

You can delete or rename ML directory and overwrite autoexec.bin and ML-SETUP.FIR.
Overwriting ML directory will preserve your settings but there is a risk of preserving outdated/obsolete modules and presets, too.
I recommend a clean start without old settings.

Danne

Yes, if you are replacing my ongoing build here. Also possible to uninstall and reinstall the latest build without formatting.

EDIT: Also what Walter says. Older stuff will stay and also old SETTINGS folder and files. If those are changed somehow in a commit it might interfere with older configurations. Reinstall is always more safe. And on eosm it´s only a matter of erasing and unzipping the new build.

2blackbar

just get all folders besides dcim and throw thwm to new folder on card, then move autoexec and studf from ml zip file to card root.
you will regret not having version that wprks best once you collect about 10 builds , you will lose track, so i name the folder for eg working hdmi ,let it stay on card its a small size,  i juggled many build whwn testing my own builds and danne's , so naming folders andnkeeping on sd card helped

Danne

Not necessary to keep mixed builds. Much better to help with feedback about what is working "better" in one build and fix potential problems. If you share info on what build and why its better we can start compare.

vicenzzopaiva

Nice, worked great just by excluding all the ML folders except SETTINGS and copying the new build. Everything's working great so far. I'm using the ADATA V90 UHS-II 128Gb 270mb/s that is not that very fast in UHS-I compatibility (around 50-60mb/s), then i'm not able to record much time in 2.5k or 2.8k. Already bought the Sandisk Extreme 170.

Two questions:
1- I'm seeing the effort to get higher resolutions with crop, but is it possible to get higher resolution than the actual 976p without crop? I've seen in other threads some cameras reaching almost 1080p without cropping
2- For the 70D any of these new changes and builds are applicable? (i've seen that some functions are shared with other cameras like the 6D, is that right?) Or the newest build is the one from mar/19?
EOS M - 2.0.2 - Danne's feb21 build
70D    - 1.1.2 - ArcziPL's mar19 build

Danne

Quote from: vicenzzopaiva on February 06, 2021, 06:53:01 PM
Two questions:
1- I'm seeing the effort to get higher resolutions with crop, but is it possible to get higher resolution than the actual 976p without crop? I've seen in other threads some cameras reaching almost 1080p without cropping
2- For the 70D any of these new changes and builds are applicable? (i've seen that some functions are shared with other cameras like the 6D, is that right?) Or the newest build is the one from mar/19?
1 - HD 1080p, Select ratios to OFF(1736x1158).
2 - Not my domain, ask in a 70D thread.

Edit: Noticed you triple post the same question about 70D. Please don´t. Once usually enough.

byrd

Hi it's me again with my tiny lenses... Was having a play today with a Schneider Kreuznach machine vision lens with a very small image circle and found it vignetting slightly off center in 2.5k 2520x1418 preset with ratio set to off and resolution in the raw tab cranked up to 2520x1416. Not a biggie but I wondered if there are some CMOS values I could play with to nudge the framing to the left a tiny bit? Here's a pic of current vignette:

far.in.out

Hi. Just got me an EOS M. How do I properly setup 1x3 anamorphic 1280x2160 @ 24fps ?
What do I need to set if starting from a clean camera settings and clean ML settings?
I tried to set it up myself but it shows 14 fps?
What ratio/fps do I need to enable if any?
How should I set up the canon movie settings? Does it matter?

What are the preview options in anamorphic modes? What are the differences between 3 anamorphic modes?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)