Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bern047

2blackbar

Where should i get focus pixel map file for new 1920x1080 frtp 1:1 mode ? I see focus pixels when i choose 16:9 to get that resolution from 1920x1280.
In mlvapp11 i check which pixel map is used for this but theres nothing highlighted green and i have most recent fpm files in mlvapp folder.
Doesnt work for 16:9 ratio and with no ratio there are fpixels too.
I thought there was map for this new mode, i didnt noticed it cause i had chroma smoothing on but i see that fpixel maps dont work for this new mode.

Danne

Mlv sample please. Also a link to where you downloaded your map files.

ZEEK

I have a sample video here in the link I recorded earlier today using the Latest OCT 27 EOS M ML Build.

Unfortunately it freezes whenever plugged into an external monitor.
Video Sample:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uvs29vD4aWtDEqHh5eSdydW_PBy0m2au/view?usp=drivesdk

- This happens in all modes 1080, 2.5k, 2.8k 5K FRTP, 8-bit H.264 preset etc, and custom modes ON and OFF. Every time the monitor turns on it shows the Eos m live view and then freezes. You can enter the ML Menu or the normal Canon menu, it's only when in Live View that it freezes.

The build that works fine is the OCT 07 that I have as backup, it doesn't freeze in any of the modes. I just really like the GUI OFF option in the latest build.

*Not sure what the issue could be or how to find it. Tested various monitors and HDMI Cables.
EOS M

Danne

Thanks for sharing. Maybe you could try and narrow down the issue? I have very limited time nowadays. Maybe related to moving the audio bar to bottom, or maybe the gui off has to b turned on or something else, idk. Maybe try different settings when working the mv1080p mode and try and get that one working. Start basic. Fresh installed build etc.
Good luck!

ZEEK

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't know if the audio bar being towards the bottom has caused the issue, maybe, or the new LV Layout has tinkered with something

GUI OFF/ON doesn't make a difference or even Global Draw. I'll give it a fresh install and test it out again though. Cheers 👍
EOS M

2blackbar

Here are 2 frames in MLV file, 6MB in 1920x1280 cropped to 16:9 - 1920x1080:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bvsBGxZJ_heo0dJXsDsTjohGrxgb3df-/view?usp=sharing
I cant get rid of focus pixels.

2.8k works and pixels are removed, 2.5k too, just this new 1:1 HD mode doesnt work.

Danne

masc

80000331_1992x1312.fpm was missing. Uploaded to MLVApp repos. This one works fine.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

2blackbar

Now that works beautifully, thanks a lot guys !

Also, september builds ( sept26)work fine with hdmi but october builds( 23, 24) freeze hdmi

johnchang1996

hey guys,
i got a eos m recently, but i don't know how to downgrade the firmware from 2.0.3 to 2.0.2.
The links in here to downgrade are all lost. Is anyone can give me some direction?
Thanks a lot! i really want to install ML to record video!

Walter Schulz

Basic instruction -> https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18941.msg179783
First chapter applies, you don't need to play around with EOS Utility.

Firmware found in
Top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> EOS M -> Installation or Useful Links

Checked links. Everything is fine. If you have troubles using links, instructions, tutorials: Please link those!

Greedence

Hi!

I am trying to use my M as a streaming webcam with 1080p and I am lost.
Using the build crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Nov20.EOSM202.zip I was able to get "clean" HDMI out of my camera but I have large black bars around my image, top is thinner than the rest (tested with HDMI-capture as well as plain TV)

Reading multiple posts, I assume it has something to do with the different aspect ratios and the structure of the live view itself, but to be frank I lost track which component is responsible for what (different recording resolutions with different crops, I got confused)

• First: Is it possible to get 1080p liveview via HDMI out?
  • If so: Can you provide a link to a topic/post were I can find additional informations
  • If not: What would be a decent workaround to get the best result

Thx in advance!
EOS M

ZEEK

Check your resolution or aspect ratio. What are they 16:9 / 3:2? Also in Advance HDMI settings in ML Menu I think from memory bottom Tab 6, change from 3:2 to 16:9/16:10.
EOS M

Greedence

Hi!
playing around with the Movie settings presets, raw video and ratio settings did the trick (so now only minor black bars left and right, which can be an issue with the capturing device) Funny thing is, I can not undo that, thus I am not sure which setting was the right one for me.

Nevertheless, thx for your help
EOS M

HugoMouteira

Hello guys!
Just so you guys know, you guys are great. Thanks for the awesome work on this community Zeek and Danne!

2blackbar

2.5k mode is still broken in HDMI, its unproperly squeezed so takes less than half of the screen despite being cinemascope, its thinner than 4:3 and on the left side on monitor, on the right side there are random lines dancing.The same in 2K mode 1920x1280.
I tried to change 2.35:1 everywhere , in ratio and raw menu but it didnt changed anything.Nov20 build.
I think last time everything worked fine with HDMI was in september builds.

ZEEK

Quote from: 2blackbar on December 12, 2020, 01:01:01 PM
2.5k mode is still broken in HDMI.
Try enabling the 2.5K & 2K Modes from the preset menu by tapping on the screen once and see if that works.
EOS M

2blackbar

It doesnt help in my caqse, theres always 1/3 of the screen with squashed liveview with about 5:2 aspect ratio and rest of the view is random lines .

BUT
I discovered something...  :D  To record longer in 2.8k and 3K modes go to expsure ML menu and set global draw to quickreview, and some magic will happen, i managed to get over 2 minutes in 3K mode.
Danne is it possible to expand this mode to 3.5k ? Maybe it will work ? Cause if i can get over 2 minutes in 3K  ? I got orange icon and could go on and on.
3000x1276 and no pink frames, its amazing cause i thought that 2.8k is absolute limit but here it records without problem when i enable quickreview.
I know theres 4K but its different than 3k crop, cause this 4K is in 8fps only for me unlike 3k.
Ah so the 3K is in 20fps , can it be in 24 ? Theres sudden drop to 20fps when above 2800 , when i set 25fps in 3k mode then it drops to 2800 as well.Considering its quite stable for over 2 minutes, can we go higher with fps above 3k mode ? Its not like im getting only few seconds, its long and stable.

Danne

I think quickreview is more or like giving the same result as global draw off. You can test by selecting kill global draw under raw video menu.

2blackbar

I see, does camera impose that fps limit above 2.8k ? Can we get higher fps somehow when recording is quite stable for over 2 minutes ?

Danne

YOu can test yourself. Decrease reg_6014 in the submenu. Works for 25fps at least when set_25fps is enabled.

2blackbar

2blackbar

OK i got 10 seconsd in 3K , 23.somethinalmost24 fps  but i adjusted both regs
-220 for 6014
-34 for 6008

When i went lower with 6008 then image got pixelated and then totally glitchy, but 6008 helps to get extra frames .
Raw detect error with 6008 set to -35, You think theres something more in there, or somewhere else that could help to get more time ?
10 secs is not bad tho.
But after more testing i think it was just luck, still getting about 3-4 secs
Ah but i have black border on right when using reg 6008...
Anyway 4-5 secs of real 3k raw is still great for this little cam, just changing reg 6014 to -300 works to get 24fps in 3K for 5 second clips.