Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amitkattal

Quote from: ZEEK on October 07, 2020, 02:19:26 PM
I use Zebras all the time in every mode and false colour. Recently tested this build, Zebras work fine. What you have showing isn't Zebras, it looks like a form of bad focus peaking. Best would be to screenshot your ML Tab 2 Screen.
It is RAW zebras, Ofcourse luma or lumafast works fine but luma zebras are highly unreliable.

Francois_lune

Hi there,

I am trying to understand the relationship between the different presets and the actual fps indicated in the "fps override" menu (which is Off). For example, with the 3k mode, i can see an actual fps of 18fps, switching to the 4k, i see 5fps.

I am using my Eos-m with the rec_trigger function. A Super-8 projector is sending a half-shutter signal for each frame to allow the cam to record in sync. So the fps is actually set externally by the projector, I record around 6fps.

From my readings, I understood that the camera is recording a frame that was already in the buffer when it receive a half-shutter signal. But it seems that the fps is also playing a role (related to the fps of the LiveView?), the higher the fps, the more accurate is the timing of the frame captured. Could someone tell me if it's correct ?

This would explain why I have have some synchronisation problems when I switch to the 4k preset and that it's working fine with the 3k. I guess 4K continuous @6fps should be ok?

EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

IDA_ML

My EOS-M stopped working a few months ago but I was so eager to test the latest improvements that I borrowed one from a friend of mine and tested it briefly this morning.  I am so happy to see that Danne and Bilal brought this camera a few more steps closer to perfection.  The magnified pink preview upon half shutter is such a great relief for accurate focusing and checking focus that I don't know how we have lived without it so far.  Great job, really!  And the pink color is actually not bad at all since in my opinion, it will be better visible in bright sun light than the normal color preview.  Here is some feedback on the 5k full resolution anamorphic mode that I am very much interested in:

1)  The 5k anamorphic flv preset works very well at 1736x2928 resolution and 16 fps and is very stable too.  At 10 bits lossless it provides continuous recording (green indicator) on my 95 MHz Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB card (R/W speeds: 94/90 MB/s tested with a card reader).  The only issue that I have noticed are a few corrupt frames that I get even with Global Draw OFF and Sound Recording OFF.

2) I was unable to get the above mode working at 18 fps although the writing on the screen says that it should be possible.  I activated the 25 fps option and turned the aspect ratio to off. The camera defaults to 14 fps and works at that cadence very well.  As long as I try to increase fps to 15, 16, 17 or 18 fps, the LV screen freezes and camera records a black image upon pressing the record button.  Turning Global Draw OFF and Sound Recording OFF and pressing the Menu button does not help either.  I may be doing something wrong.  If so please advise me what should I do to get 18 fps at the full 1736x2928 resolution working even if recording time is quite limited.

And thank you guys for your amazing expert work!

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 07, 2020, 09:28:08 AM
FPS Override, Full Shutter Range, Shutter Fine Tuning already working in H.264 video.
They can be enabled and the camera acts like they work, but if you record an h264 video and examine it on your computer you can see none of the options stuck. It still uses the options set in the default canon menu.
x4 Full Spectrum Canon EOS M (Navy Blue) | x1 Full Spectrum Sony FX3

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on October 07, 2020, 04:51:37 AM
I have one of the older extreme pro 95MB cards I tested it and it's supposed to be getting around 80MB read and write but strangely seems to crash when using 5k mode at 60MB should I get one of those new extreme pro cards as well?
As far as I know the only difference between the 1st and 2nd generation extreme pro cards is the label. The 2nd generation has the higher MB on the label, but both cards can still do it but you need a certain SD card reader to get those speeds. I think there is a Gerald Undone video on this.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Mythic Cinema on October 07, 2020, 04:42:19 PM
They can be enabled and the camera acts like they work, but if you record an h264 video and examine it on your computer you can see none of the options stuck. It still uses the options set in the default canon menu.

The metadata would be as Canon settings including FPS, Set 1080p24 from Canon, Set FPS override to 3 FPS, record H.264 video for 1 minute, on your computer the FPS would be 23.976 FPS in that file, but the video would be like a Time-Lapse, you can re-adjust framerate as you put in FPS override in this case to 3 FPS, now you will have correct FPS in that video.

Shutter speeds are working fine here on 700D, I can lower it down to 1/24 and up to 1/31K when recording H.264 @ 1080p24, and there is a visible difference in H.264 video when changing shutter speed from 1/33 to 1/24 and from 1/4000 to 1/31K.

Not sure if there are a problems with these on EOS M.

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 07, 2020, 05:11:31 PM
The metadata would be as Canon settings including FPS, Set 1080p24 from Canon, Set FPS override to 3 FPS, record H.264 video for 1 minute, on your computer the FPS would be 23.976 FPS in that file, but the video would be like a Time-Lapse, you can re-adjust framerate as you put in FPS override in this case to 3 FPS, now you will have correct FPS in that video.

Shutter speeds are working fine here on 700D, I can lower it down to 1/24 and up to 1/31K when recording H.264 @ 1080p24, and there is a visible difference in H.264 video when changing shutter speed from 1/33 to 1/24 and from 1/4000 to 1/31K.

Not sure if there are a problems with these on EOS M.
Interesting... I only have EOS M cameras to test but I'll run another test to make sure. Thanks. I didn't take into account that it could just be wrong metadata.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Mythic Cinema on October 07, 2020, 04:44:41 PM
As far as I know the only difference between the 1st and 2nd generation extreme pro cards is the label.
Are you refering to 95 MB/s version as 1st and 170 MB/s as second? Then you are wrong. 1st gen won't switch to proprietary Sandisk transfer mode.
Quote from: Mythic Cinema on October 07, 2020, 04:44:41 PM
The 2nd generation has the higher MB on the label, but both cards can still do it but you need a certain SD card reader to get those speeds. I think there is a Gerald Undone video on this.
Haven't found yet. Please link.
The 170 MB/s is a tad slower when used in cardreaders not able to run Sandisk's proprietary protocol. See www.cameramemoryspeed.com

Teamsleepkid

Mines a 95MB tested in benchmark with a 30 second clip and getting 80MB read and write speeds. But crashes when I do anything over 57MB on 5k mode. Also I think the data rate is changing depending on the iso you choose correct? Wondering if the 170MB card will fix my problem.
EOS M

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 07, 2020, 06:30:48 PM
Are you refering to 95 MB/s version as 1st and 170 MB/s as second? Then you are wrong. 1st gen won't switch to proprietary Sandisk transfer mode.Haven't found yet. Please link.
The 170 MB/s is a tad slower when used in cardreaders not able to run Sandisk's proprietary protocol. See www.cameramemoryspeed.com

I think what I meant was in-camera writing there is no difference, but the 170MB can grab files faster from a compatible card reader.

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on October 07, 2020, 07:24:14 PM
Mines a 95MB tested in benchmark with a 30 second clip and getting 80MB read and write speeds. But crashes when I do anything over 57MB on 5k mode. Also I think the data rate is changing depending on the iso you choose correct? Wondering if the 170MB card will fix my problem.

Did you try the ML card hack options like sd overlock 192mhz in the movie tab? I haven't tried 5k myself, though.

Walter Schulz

I don't get stable overclocking with 1st gen. There will be a hickup in transfer visible in cam benchmark. Hickup will occur at different write steps.
170 MB/s type runs like a clock.

Teamsleepkid

Thanks Walter. I knew there was something wrong. Might have to check into that 2nd gen.
EOS M

Mythic Cinema

I have a Sandisk Ultra Plus 80MB/s 64GB and haven't had any overclock issues yet. At least none that I have noticed (yet). I just can't record as long continuously with certain resolutions as an Extreme Pro can, obviously. With that said, obviously if you are going to buy a card make sure its Extreme Pro 170MB/s 2nd generation.

marcelo.lippi

latest version 5k frtp 1440x1810 as in the picture, at the limit of 60MB per second, no pink frame and no loss frames using the hdmi monitor ... looks great

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 6 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

marcelo.lippi

latest version 5k frtp 1440x1810 as in the picture, at the limit of 60MB per second, no pink frame and no loss frames using the hdmi monitor ... looks great

IDA_ML

Has anyone got the 5k anamorphic flv (1736x2928) working at 18 fps?  If yes, could you please share your settings and recording times at 10 bits lossless?

tmilardo

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 07, 2020, 06:30:48 PM
Are you refering to 95 MB/s version as 1st and 170 MB/s as second? Then you are wrong. 1st gen won't switch to proprietary Sandisk transfer mode.Haven't found yet. Please link.

I think Mythic Cinema is referring to this video by Dave McKeegan. Proprietary SanDisk transfer mode at 3:38

loknar

I made a (very) short test of 5K anamorphic flv mode and for the good measure i threw in Dual ISO.
I like the looks of it and also color/exposure flexibility from Dual ISO is nice, although it's more difficult to process.

bern047

Excellent video, could you please share your settings, would love to try this out, thanks in anticipation

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- 5k anamorphic flv preset
Enable 18fps when ratio 16:9 and set 25fps are set. Will only work with framing preview. Realtime liveview will be frozen or else pink frames.

ZEEK

In 5K Anamorphic FLV, Ratio set to 2.35:1 you get 1736x2214 @20fps. This is a very nice resolution.

With the 240Hz Patch or even 192Hz, it's continuous RAW 2.35:1, 1736x2214, 20FPS. I wonder if the preset could possibly be stretched a little from 20fps to 23.976/24p, continuous raw I guess could be taxed.
EOS M

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- 5k anamorphic flv preset

Enable 24fps when ratio 2.39:1 and 2.35:1 and set 25fps are set(yes, aware of contradiction set 25fps becomes 24fps). Will only work with framing preview. Realtime liveview will be frozen or else pink frames.

Francois_lune

Would it be be technically possible to enable 18 or 24fps for the 4K preset?

The goal wouldn't be to record at this fps but to have a more precise timing for recording single frames with the Rec-trigger function.
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

Danne

I think you need to downöoad the code and try and learn. Seems you have some very specific needs.