Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janke

Quote from: masc on October 06, 2020, 10:14:00 PM
Use e.g. "2.5K 1:1 centered" mode and set it to 16:9. Voilà: 1920x1080.

Thanks, I'll try that. (Not very intuitive, though... :o)

masc

Quote from: Janke on October 06, 2020, 10:24:29 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. (Not very intuitive, though... :o)
Why not intuitive? It is even named "... 1:1 ..." as you also called it. 2.5K because it has a max resolution of 2520x1080. The height is already what you want. The width isn't. So just crop it by ratio feature to 16:9.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Janke on October 06, 2020, 10:09:20 PM
What I've been looking for is a ML mode that uses the central 1920x1080 pixels of the sensor as such, unbinned and unskipped (which I would call 1:1 - but forget that!), for use with C-mount lenses.

I made 1920x1280p 1:1 just for that (I think it's called "x5crop 1920x1276 frtp" on EOS M), set mlv_lite to 16:9 to achieve 1920x1080p , Voilà with Real-Time Correct Preview.

x5 Crop doesn't refer to the crop factor but to *x5 mode from Canon, read the crop factor from mlv_lite beside the resolution.

*Originally Canon made x5 Mode to be used it for focusing, x5 here is x5 cropped preview compared to 1080p mode preview (1080p mode = mv1080 means selecting 1080p from Canon menu), The RAW data won't have true x5 crop in x5 mode, RAW data has less than x3 crop in x5 mode (and x3 crop here compared to mv1080).

Janke

Tried those settings, got several CRASHES - needed to remove battery.

Also, before trying to record, the display overlay was in 5x or 10x mode plus 4 arrows, couldn't get a "normal" display mode. Very slow display refresh. When I could record, it was only for a couple of seconds, then it "automagically" stopped.

However, MLV did show the snippets I was able to record.

ML insists on keeping RAW on, even when I set it to off, it goes back to ON.

Do I have the wrong version? (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Oct06.EOSM202)

Am I missing something obvious? Older versions listed a few days ago get a 404 error. (Please have patience with me, I'll be 70 next year...)

2blackbar

When you are in magic lantern menu, on Movie panel, stay on first top option and press set - you will see a lot more presets available.

Janke

Quote from: 2blackbar on October 06, 2020, 11:47:45 PM
When you are in magic lantern menu, on Movie panel, stay on first top option and press set - you will see a lot more presets available.

Got them, including "x5crop 1920x1276 frtp" - but ML insists on shooting RAW for just 2 seconds even when I set RAW to OFF.

Danne

Works over here. Maybe you have a shitty SD card. And. You absolutely won´t be able to shoot h264 with this mode. This seems to be the real issue here. By now you should be able and determine what is what and what can be done and not. At least by viewing your recorded file. Either shoot raw and get exactly what you want or live with what you get with h264 calling it 1x1, 5x5, less than 1080 or something else. No hidden extras here.

Janke

Quote from: Danne on October 06, 2020, 11:52:47 PM
Works over here. Maybe you have a shitty SD card. And. You absolutely won´t be able to shoot h264 with this mode. This seems to be the real issue here. By now you should be able and determine what is what and what can be done and not. At least by viewing your recorded file. Either shoot raw and get exactly what you want or live with what you get with h264 calling it 1x1, 5x5, less than 1080 or something else. No hidden extras here.

I undestand I can't get h264.

Do you mean that MLV recordings are always raw, and just short snippets? The card should be OK, 32 GB Kingston Class 10/U1 ?

Danne

Of course. What else should it be? Short snippets? There seems to be so many basic misunderstandings around what´s going on. I really can´t point to any that basic threads but before settling abc there will only be confusion. Sorry, but only saying this to get this discussion forward or it will keep on until christmas ;).
Oh, and your card is probably not close shooting raw. But I won´t even open up the can of worms around sd card discussion. I am guessing you have a lot of spare time so using search and really dig into this forum should help out a lot.

Janke

Quote from: Danne on October 07, 2020, 12:03:39 AM
Of course. What else should it be? Short snippets? There seems to be so many basic misunderstandings around what´s going on. I really can´t point to any that basic threads but before settling abc there will only be confusion.
Oh, and your card is probably not close shooting raw. But I won´t even open up the can of worms around sd card discussion. I am guessing you have a lot of spare time so using search and really dig into this forum should help out a lot.

OK, I'll stop bothering you now ...

- and maybe try a faster card some day, since with "true" 1920x1080 (instead of the basic 3x mode) I could get that little extra 10% wide-angle coverage from the Canon 12.5-75mm f1.8 C-mount lens I have. (Canon's EF-M zoom lenses really don't work well for video, since the f-stop changes during zooming.)

Thanks to you all for your help, in any case!

Danne

Don´t stop posting, but do take the time to check around some more to get to know some basics. There have been so much work around this it takes time of course but if you go for raw(mlv) I can recommend the sandisk extreme pro 170Mb/s card. That one should work right away on eosm with my provided build.

Danne

Quote from: Janke on October 07, 2020, 12:16:33 AM
I could get that little extra 10% wide-angle coverage from the Canon 12.5-75mm f1.8 C-mount lens I have.
You also get a sharper image and much more dynamic range to work with.

Janke

Quote from: Danne on October 07, 2020, 12:22:34 AM
You also get a sharper image and much more dynamic range to work with.

Exactly. I'll get that faster card before asking any more questions...  :)

whothe

Quote from: Danne on October 05, 2020, 03:18:14 PM
New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Crude attempt of a zoom function for mv1080p modes. Also for the higher frame rates 48fps etc.

Comes as is. To get it even better we need to alter too many regs for me to do atm.

Hey Danne,
Just downloaded "crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Oct06.EOSM202.zip"
on 07.10.2020 around 00:30AM CET.

Installed on fresh card. Seems like the install is funky somehow.
"crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Sep12.EOSM202_frtp_hdmi.zip" worked nicely though.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I thought I might as well report back just now:

Lots of features seem to be missing.

Sub menues are missing.

Maybe modules not loading properly?
Install routine seemed shorter than usuall...

Not sure if this is relevant...

I did a Rom/Ram Dump in ML and zipped everything on the SD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q7FyUKB6otCwW-P8YuPIMDNSMjf9MszI/view?usp=sharing

Uppon opening "CPU Usage" under the "Debug" tab the camera locked.
Battery pull was required. Cam started back up just fine.
I then decided not to mess with stuff I don't understand ^^

If this post is not helpfull or irrelevant, please ignore.
Thanks!

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: Janke on October 07, 2020, 12:00:58 AM
I undestand I can't get h264.

Do you mean that MLV recordings are always raw, and just short snippets? The card should be OK, 32 GB Kingston Class 10/U1 ?
You should get SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards for raw.
x4 Full Spectrum Canon EOS M (Navy Blue) | x1 Full Spectrum Sony FX3

lightspeed

is the 512 extreme pro faster then the 64?

thinh23.976

Quote from: lightspeed on October 07, 2020, 02:45:25 AM
is the 512 extreme pro faster then the 64?

Zeek tested it and looked like it can archive 240mhz overclock with faster write/read speed.
M fanboy

Teamsleepkid

I have one of the older extreme pro 95MB cards I tested it and it's supposed to be getting around 80MB read and write but strangely seems to crash when using 5k mode at 60MB should I get one of those new extreme pro cards as well?
EOS M

Danne

Quote from: whothe on October 07, 2020, 02:10:22 AM
Installed on fresh card. Seems like the install is funky somehow.
Fixed. One module was missing.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: whothe on October 07, 2020, 02:10:22 AM
I did a Rom/Ram Dump in ML and zipped everything on the SD:

Hi @whothe

ROM/RAM dumps contain copyrighted Canon materials, please delete the download link, these shouldn't be shared publicly . .

whothe

@Danne
Awsome, thanks!

@theBilalFakhouri
Thanks for the note.
Link should be down now.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Mythic Cinema on October 05, 2020, 11:25:38 PM
Then I humbly request 10-Bit H264 with FPS Override, Shutter Range, and Shutter Fine Tuning Support. For when you need to record for 10 hours on multiple cameras. I'm joking, btw. I don't believe that is even possible.

Haha, I didn't notice the "joking" part, maybe you have edited the post later?

High possibility appears when these kinds of things already implemented or already used in Canon firmware, for example Lossless compression is used in Canon .CR2 format, Developers got it working in RAW video after hard work and research.

H.264 10-bit won't be possible (not implemented in Canon firmware? or Hardware limit), but 8-bit MJPEG might be possible since it used in Photo Mode, 10-bit MJPEG I have no idea.

Quote from: a1ex on May 24, 2012, 02:02:23 PM
Custom codecs
Codecs are not implemented on the general-purpose ARM processor. We can only use what Canon has already included in hardware (H.264, JPEG, LJ92) and fine-tuned their parameters (such as the H.264 bit rate).

The lossless compression used for raw video is the same "codec" Canon uses for CR2. The same processing path (codenamed JPCORE) might be able to handle (M)JPEG. However, we cannot implement additional codecs (such as H.265, JPEG2000 or ProRes). Even if these might be able to run on Canon's image processing hardware, we simply don't know where to start.

FPS Override, Full Shutter Range, Shutter Fine Tuning already working in H.264 video.

amitkattal

Okay , so I was asked to share here. The RAW zebras in the new 5k anamorphic mode from latest build seems to be way off . I have attached a video to show that:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mp1YqnUlY7sADa36tMLcvhtLAByCzBz7/view?usp=sharing

Is this problem with just me or others also have this issue? Can it be solved? Thanks

Danne

Hm, sorry, but I don´t use zebras myself so not a priority.

ZEEK

Quote from: amitkattal on October 07, 2020, 01:00:53 PM
Is this problem with just me or others also have this issue? Can it be solved? Thanks
I use Zebras all the time in every mode and false colour. Recently tested this build, Zebras work fine. What you have showing isn't Zebras, it looks like a form of bad focus peaking. Best would be to screenshot your ML Tab 2 Screen.
EOS M