Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loknar

I deleted everything from the card, loaded new version and now it works like a charm including replay.

Mythic Cinema

Is there a way to change the word "Immortal"? I have 5 EOS M cameras and would like to label them.
x4 Full Spectrum Canon EOS M (Navy Blue) | x1 Full Spectrum Sony FX3

amitkattal

Can we have the new zoom mode for 1080p also? I dont know if its just me but whenever i use the old magic zoom in 1080p mode, it takes around 3~5 seconds to get into it and get out of it. The new zoom mode in x5 anamorphic is super quick. So, i wonder of its possible to have that quick and real time zoom in 1080p mode as well?

Danne

If you know or learn how to compile I tell you where to look. Hard and timely work.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: amitkattal on October 05, 2020, 06:44:32 AM
Can we have the new zoom mode for 1080p also? I dont know if its just me but whenever i use the old magic zoom in 1080p mode, it takes around 3~5 seconds to get into it and get out of it. The new zoom mode in x5 anamorphic is super quick. So, i wonder of its possible to have that quick and real time zoom in 1080p mode as well?

Yes, it's possible, I am planning to do it, a 1080p preset (1736x1158 3x3) which support Magic Zoom V2 (the new zoom mode), but, unfortunately . . not in near future.

peterkoomen

TheBilalFakhouri and Danne (and all developers), you guys are doing great work. Thanks you so much for the new builds. It is really enjoying and it's making the Eos M a wonderful cinema camera for everybody with a budget. Thanks again!

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Crude attempt of a zoom function for mv1080p modes. Also for the higher frame rates 48fps etc.

Comes as is. To get it even better we need to alter too many regs for me to do atm.

amitkattal

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 05, 2020, 12:44:08 PM
Yes, it's possible, I am planning to do it, a 1080p preset (1736x1158 3x3) which support Magic Zoom V2 (the new zoom mode), but, unfortunately . . not in near future.
Thats Awesome. You never say no to any request. Keep up the hardwork you are doing for this camera

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: amitkattal on October 05, 2020, 10:16:46 PM
Thats Awesome. You never say no to any request. Keep up the hardwork you are doing for this camera
Then I humbly request 10-Bit H264 with FPS Override, Shutter Range, and Shutter Fine Tuning Support. For when you need to record for 10 hours on multiple cameras. I'm joking, btw. I don't believe that is even possible.

Kgncom

Quote from: Mythic Cinema on October 04, 2020, 10:17:27 PM
You are only shooting 2 hours with 3 EOS M cameras. I would be using raw your case, where as I shoot with 4 cameras for 8 to 10 hours and that is when raw is too much data. In your case all you need is three 256gb SanDisk Extreme Pro cards, which will fill about 204GB on each card give or take, for 1080p Raw at 2 hours. Not bad at all. You are lucky. I wish I could use raw in my case. Run a test in raw and see how long you get until your card runs out, then do the calculations. It should be under 256gb for 2 hours @ 1080p.

I have a question about using the M for event shooting. I have a roommate who does standup, and he has a set later in the month he's asked if I'd be game to record for him (2x20-30min sets). We did a test run at a smaller venue, but a longer set and I opted to use ML but not RAW. I have a single 256GB card, and it's speed is adequate, but I was concerned about potentially going over file size limits recording a set of roughly 45 mins. Opting to use h264 ultimately proved to be not the best idea though. Because the files eventually seemed to hit a buffer limit. While the camera continued to record no problem there were small several second gaps every 9-12 minutes. Thankfully we had a second camera that saved our audio, and this was technically only a test run.

I'm looking to do continuous recording, and while on the day of the actual show we will be running external audio, I am worried about running into this video gap again. Would this same scenario occur with MLV as well? It would be nice to be able to have the ability to grade on something more flexible than cinestyle, but I feel like the margin for error may be greater simply because this is bleeding edge MLV stuffs. I have a 70D we will be using as a B cam and I will be posting in their thread for more research as well. But any tips and pointers regarding the EOSM would be super useful.
70D | EOSM

ZEEK

Quote from: Kgncom on October 06, 2020, 02:05:39 AM
I have a single 256GB card, and it's speed is adequate, but I was concerned about potentially going over file size limits recording a set of roughly 45 mins.
I use a 512GB SD Card and have recorded 100 Minutes (1hr 40min) with Magic Lantern Raw 1080 Mode, and could have recorded way more. So if you're not shooting RAW, you're definitely fine.
EOS M

Kgncom

Quote from: ZEEK on October 06, 2020, 03:09:51 AM
I use a 512GB SD Card and have recorded 100 Minutes (1hr 40min) with Magic Lantern Raw 1080 Mode, and could have recorded way more. So if you're not shooting RAW, you're definitely fine.
Thanks Zeek! Love your work, keep it up!
70D | EOSM

yokashin

At 128 GB, I have about 40 minutes of material in the 1080 setting.
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

Mythic Cinema

I did a test the other day in 1080 raw and got 38 minutes with a 64gb card. That was in 2.39:1, though.

bern047

Does the EOSM Blue make any difference ? I see everyone else uses Red or Black or Silver and all get excellent results

Walter Schulz

We have no scientific evidence if and how the colour of a camera has reproducible effects on IQ.

Heatshiver

Hi all, been a long time since I used Magic Lantern, and never tried it on my EOS-M. But when I saw what it was now capable of, I dusted it off and got it ready. I was able to install Danne's most recent build, but I can't seem to get anything to truly work.

I tried different presets, including both 1080P, 4K, and both 5K. I ensured FPS Override stayed off. I tried with and without 10/12-bit options. I tried 2.39:1, 16:19, and OFF options. I tried SD Card overclock at 192MHz, 160MHz, and OFF. I tried with and without raw video. I tried numerous things and almost every time my camera would end up freezing. I was able to get a few seconds of 1080p raw video captured at most.

I believe the culprit might be my SD card. I am using a Lexar 512GB 633x (Class 10, U3, V30, A2) up to 100MB/s read, up to 70MB/s write. When I ran the SD benchmark I got just over 10MB/s and 13MB/s. Am I right in thinking this is the reason this build won't work for me at all? If so, what SD cards should I pick up?

If that's not the case, are there some initial steps I should have taken to get everything running properly? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Janke

Quote from: ricardopt on October 04, 2020, 10:47:40 PM
its not just him, there's more people confused with the terminology used here

Indeed.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 05, 2020, 12:44:08 PM
a 1080p preset (1736x1158 3x3)

There you see - how can a 1736x1158 resolution be 1080p ? ??? Horizontally, it's too narrow, vertically, it's too high.
(See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p )

I tried to find a true 1920x1080 resolution (and by that I mean exactly 1920x1080 sensor pixels in a 1080p format), but all I found were different widescreen cropped formats.  (Some call them anamorphic, but they aren't, unless the final video is indeed "squashed", i.e. circles become ovals...)

Quote from: bern047 on October 06, 2020, 02:30:14 PM
Does the EOSM Blue make any difference ? I see everyone else uses Red or Black or Silver and all get excellent results

As long as you use the proper color balance setting inside the camera, the camera's outside color has no effect...  ;) ;) ;)

Walter Schulz

You have to get your head around that Canon's 1080p mode in EOS M doesn't record using 1920x1080 pixel. It records in what we call "native" resolution which is done by horizontal pixel binning (reducing output pixel count to a third) and vertical line skipping (reducing output pixel count to a third, too). Thus the numbers posted by theBilalfakhouri. Ratio horizontal:vertical is 3:2 because the sensor has this ratio.

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: bern047 on October 06, 2020, 02:30:14 PM
Nah, they are just aesthetic case choices, in my opinion. You probably see everyone uses black, red, and silver because they are the most common. The blue ones are harder to find, though and sometimes more expensive for that reason. There is black, blue, silver, red, white, and pink. I like the blue one because of how it looks so I bought five of them. It took many months to find them all in very good condition for a decent price. My second favorite look is the black and third favorite is probably silver. Either way, it doesn't matter what color you have.

bern047

Ok just that you seem to have problems, I have 4 EOS M bodies in excellent condition (2 Black and 2 Red) The black looks really professional in a 'Rig Build' with Rode microphones and monitor with external batteries and focus wheel, only paid £80 each max for the bodies, 2 were brand new. They all work really well especially with the new builds, more than pleased with them, I have a large amount of Canon EF and Olympus Zuiko lenses vintage top notch, the  RAW footage I am getting is just phenomenal, love this resource for Magic Lantern

Mythic Cinema

Quote from: bern047 on October 06, 2020, 05:11:23 PM
Ok just that you seem to have problems, I have 4 EOS M bodies in excellent condition (2 Black and 2 Red) The black looks really professional in a 'Rig Build' with Rode microphones and monitor with external batteries and focus wheel, only paid £80 each max for the bodies, 2 were brand new. They all work really well especially with the new builds, more than pleased with them, I have a large amount of Canon EF and Olympus Zuiko lenses vintage top notch, the  RAW footage I am getting is just phenomenal, love this resource for Magic Lantern
Who has problems? I don't have any problems with my cameras. You didn't mention who you are responding to so I have to assume it is my comment above. If you are talking to someone else, you should quote them or mention it, otherwise nobody will know who you are talking about. I certainly don't have any problems, though and not sure what would give you that idea.

Janke

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 06, 2020, 04:30:05 PM
You have to get your head around that Canon's 1080p mode in EOS M doesn't record using 1920x1080 pixel. It records in what we call "native" resolution which is done by horizontal pixel binning (reducing output pixel count to a third) and vertical line skipping (reducing output pixel count to a third, too). Thus the numbers posted by theBilalfakhouri. Ratio horizontal:vertical is 3:2 because the sensor has this ratio.

Yes, I know that, and have known it ever since I bought the 550D ten years ago. Since then, I've shot three half-hour Finnish TV broadcast documentaries with one 550D and two M1s - here's one of them, about a six-time champion of hot air ballooning (here with English subtitles):

*Video expired, send PM if you want to see it.*

What I've been looking for is a ML mode that uses the central 1920x1080 pixels of the sensor as such, unbinned and unskipped (which I would call 1:1 - but forget that!), for use with C-mount lenses.

(This would mean a crop factor of a little less than the "3x mode" in ML, utilizing a little more of the C-mount lens's image circle).

I've not succeeded in finding such a mode in the latest ML. Is there no such mode at all, or am I doing something wrong?

masc

Quote from: Janke on October 06, 2020, 10:09:20 PM
What I've been looking for is a ML mode that uses the central 1920x1080 pixels of the sensor as such, unbinned and unskipped (which I would call 1:1 - but forget that!), for use with C-mount lenses.
I've not succeeded in finding such a mode in the latest ML. Is there no such mode at all, or am I doing something wrong?
Use e.g. "2.5K 1:1 centered" mode and set it to 16:9. Voilà: 1920x1080.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202