Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liuk718

Thanks danne,can we shot in 1920*803*48fps 1:1pixels mode?2800*1171*24fps is more pixels than 1920*803*48fps

Danne

You can use HD 1080p hf and then push SET button to get into 1:1 high framerate modes. 1648x688 for 2.39:1 is what I managed to have kindo working more or less continuous.

LeandroFreitas

Quote from: SoFloCineFile on August 13, 2020, 06:20:15 PM
I just realized that in the 2.5k RAW and above modes shutter fine tuning does not work...is that a known limitation of those modes?
I'm using the latest 8/11 build. Shutter fine tuning works in 1080 mode and the Anamorphic binning modes, just not any of the 2.5k and above modes for me.
It worked for me and I am using Dannes 12 August 2020 build.

Danne

It's not working with 2.8k. Not sure why not.

SoFloCineFile

Quote from: Danne on August 14, 2020, 08:39:37 AM
It's not working with 2.8k. Not sure why not.

Thanks for confirming. I kept playing around with the settings last night and ultimately its not a big issue as I can shoot in 25 fps and set the shutter to 1/50 using the standard shutter control without fine tuning.

ZEEK

Quote from: SoFloCineFile on August 13, 2020, 06:20:15 PM
I just realized that in the 2.5k RAW and above modes shutter fine-tuning does not work.
I'm using the same build as you. I've tested both 2.7K Build & the new 2.8K Build. You can get image fine-tuning to work in both 2.5k & 2.8K to set to 1/48 etc. It won't, however, work in the "actual" 2.8K Preset at all, Only the 2.8k or whatever Resolution in the 3K RAW Mode preset. The thing is, "Ratio" in the 3rd ML Tab needs to be switched OFF in order for Shutter Fine-Tuning to work in the 3K Preset. Works either way with 2.5k.
In the 2.8K Preset, if you want closer to 1/48, I guess setting shutter to full-range will get you 1/46.
EOS M

SoFloCineFile

Quote from: ZEEK on August 14, 2020, 03:58:24 PM
The thing is, "Ratio" in the 3rd ML Tab needs to be switched OFF in order for Shutter Fine-Tuning to work in the 3K Preset. Works either way with 2.5k.
In the 2.8K Preset, if you want closer to 1/48, I guess setting shutter to full-range will get you 1/46.

Thanks Zeek! I was able to get shutter fine tuning to work with 2.5k res like you said...the problem earlier was that I was in the 2.8k preset and had adjusted the res down to 2.5 in that same preset without actually going into the 2.5k preset.

As for the 3k preset, I did confirm that I am able to fine tune the shutter in that mode when turning off the ratio, also like you said. However, the only issue with that workaround is that my fps was now limited to 18fps even with 25fps setting enabled-- it seems that in that mode, you need an anamorphic aspect ratio in order to be able to record at 24 or 25 fps.

Honestly I'm more than happy with being able to shoot in 2.5k with the anamorphic aspect ratios and being able to set the shutter correctly in those modes.
Thx again to both you and Danne for taking the time to look into this :) You both truly have the patience of saints to listen and respond to everyone's queries on here!

SoFloCineFile

Quote from: Danne on August 13, 2020, 05:27:19 PM
How do you mean? Ratio is 16:9. 1920/1080 = 1.777. Then 2192/1.777=1233. So 2192x1233.

Also, I've done a test and discovered that the max 16 by 9 resolution I can record in *continuously* is 2400 X 1350! Very exciting stuff! Will be posting a sample video of what that res looks like soon!

Danne

Does fine tuning work if selecting 2.8k and turning off ratio?

SoFloCineFile

Quote from: Danne on August 14, 2020, 09:53:44 PM
Does fine tuning work if selecting 2.8k and turning off ratio?

Yes...Only problem with that workaround is like I was saying before-- by turning of the ratio, frame rate is then limited to 18 fps.

Danne

Not what I meant when I wanted to test the dedicated 2.8k preset. Anyway:

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Fixed fine shutter tuning for 2.8k preset.

nikfreak

As far as I remember EOS-M was able to use the commented fps values too:
https://bitbucket.org/nikfreak/magic-lantern/src/100D_merge_fw101/src/fps-engio.c#lines-253

Anyone time to try it with sd overclock?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

EOS M dude 1

Have tested latest build.

Write speeds are mode dependent, write speeds in 4k mode is amazing:

4K mode: up to 79MB/s
3K mode (and other modes): up to 65MB/s

With Sandisk Extreme Pro 95.

Something is hindering write speed in other modes than 4K. Would be fantastic to get 79MB/s in 3K mode. Then 3K 14bit 24fps almost continuous is possible. No need for 2,8K mode then.

Would like to change fps in 4K mode (does not work over 9-10fps now).

It would be possible to get around 3 sek burst of real 4K 1:1 10bit 24fps in near future I think.

notthesame

Sounds amazing, let's hope there's a way :)
Thanks to everyone involved making the EOS M such a great raw camera!

I just wanted to let you know: I'm still a bit of a believer in the 5k anamorphic 1x3 pixel-binning modes. Almost no additional crop still sounds fantastic (shallow DOF, no need for extreme wide angle lenses, less aliasing).

I had a question about resolution limitations in 5k anamorphic at 12bit: realized that this has been answered on page 170. It is a limitation we can't get around with the recent improvements in SD overclocking. Higher resolutions would lead to an unacceptable amount of corrupt frames. Sad, I was hoping for slight improvements in the anamorphic mode as well...well then, I guess I have to hunt for good wide angle lenses to fight the crop :)

BatchGordon

Hello all!
Thank you for this wonderful project and all the amazing improvements that have been made lately!
I have a couple of questions about the different EOS-M video profiles/presets:
- Is it possible to disable the zoom in the live view in 2.5k/2.8k/3.0k modes? I know the picture is severy cropped, so I would get a small view with black borders all around, but that is absolutely ok for me. I just don't know if this is a known limitation or a design choice.
- Any chance to have in the future a 2x2 profile (with line/column skip mode) to get a 2.6k using the full width of the sensor?
Thank you in advance for any feedback!

SoFloCineFile

Quote from: Danne on August 15, 2020, 04:38:36 AM
Not what I meant when I wanted to test the dedicated 2.8k preset. Anyway:

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Fixed fine shutter tuning for 2.8k preset.

Thank you Danne! It works gr8 now :)

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: nikfreak on August 15, 2020, 01:58:58 PM
As far as I remember EOS-M was able to use the commented fps values too:
https://bitbucket.org/nikfreak/magic-lantern/src/100D_merge_fw101/src/fps-engio.c#lines-253

Anyone time to try it with sd overclock?

I'd be interested to try it out on the 100D if still need...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Kgncom

Love the new 2.8k stuff! Just have a question about the 5k modes. What's the difference between the two? The FLV mode still seems to cut half of the live view out just like the other one. Am I not using this mode as intended?

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out!
70D | EOSM

nikfreak

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on August 20, 2020, 02:56:44 PM
I'd be interested to try it out on the 100D if still need...

You would need to place the commented values into fps-engio.c then try out with sd overclok enabled if camera can record that fps. Don't forget to ESPECIALLY try 3x crop mode please  ;D
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Danne

What are we testing? SD overclock presets or some preset or both? Why do we need fps-engio changes?

I tested 100D overclock patches a while ago. Think It behaved much like eos m or worse. Maybe it will work with 192Mhz, don't remember. Definately not working with 240Mhz patch.

Madlen

Thank you so much!
Can I put this ML release on my EOS M2?
Other M2 releases from links in the M2 branch are no longer supported.
EOS M2

felinefurnishings

My experience with ML for the EOS-M has been almost magical.  I have been spending pretty much one half of every day working with the August build.  Magic Lantern breaks at 29.*** frames per second, that is where the pink and or corrupted frames I saw a few weeks ago come from, that is not really a problem and I may find how to disable other running processes in ML, that will allow me to film at 29.*** without corruption present.   Efficiency is King, there is no such thing as multi-tasking without multiple processors.

Sunday, I went through 13K frames after exporting .DNG from the MLV app and erased the unusable frames, then imported them into DaVinci Resolve....that is where the problem came in.  DaVinci isn't smart enough to import based on a range of frames, DaVinci doesn't order the frame ranges correctly.

Zeeks' and IMCE's YouTube videos on using an Android phone for a monitor works really well..
I read the comments on the Seattle video in User-shared videos....The words UHD and Mod was discussed.  So, I am going to sift through the forum and piece together those details.  Thanks again Danne...great software...

This really is quite an adventure I am having...

Danne

30fps could work with some tinkering. Maybe need to talter timers. Did you try with kill global draw enabled under raw video?

felinefurnishings

Thanks, Danne:

So, a re-statment of the problem....at 29.*** fps, I got 4.5 thousandths of a percent pink/corrupted frames.

I re-ran what I think were my original settings, but turned on Global Kill.  But, I did an apple to apple comparison with only one change, ran on a 130MB/s card, compared to a 170/MBs card.

130....39.** write speed, red camera, 8milliseconds Idle (available buffer ?)          Didn't look for corrupted frames
170....45.7 - 45.9  write speed, green camera, 4% - 5% Idle (available buffer ?)   ZERO corrupted frames

Problem solved, thanks...I'm learning a number of things per day because I am delving into all the settings and modes of ML.  Oh, I ran these 2 tests with only 160 on the SD overclock and 12 bits depth.  I'll probably change the bit depth and overclock later today, re-run just to see how the write speed changes...

thinh23.976

First of all...thanks Danne, a1ex, Wultz, Zeek, other developers and all of you the fans of ML Raw on EOS M. You guys are making this community so amazing!

I luckily found an M in my hometown (Saigon, Viet Nam) and finally start using it to produce .mlv raw video. But I still got some problems and start finding out the anwers myself in this topic.

I seems got the same problems with this homie so if anyone can help us with some trick, please tell.

Have a nice day/good night everyone!
M fanboy