Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berechiah

Quote from: Danne on August 04, 2020, 06:01:33 AM
Mp4? You mean MOV or can it record with both formats?
If on my build select h264 from the tap screen menu. What does it say in canon menu when you check for audio settings?
If still not solved do a screen recording of what's in your menus.

Yes sorry .mov
yes its your latest build
the canon audio menu it is enabled
ill try that now

thanks again

HiphopMoment

I'm sorry, my English is not very good.
I like eosm  It is very cheap, second-hand price in China is about 60-70 dollars, I have two.
Eosm if you use a new lens, its single touch focus is useful, as long as you don't use AF-s. So I think excuse me, how to cancel the touch screen out the menu。
So many people in China use the Magic Lantern, they would like to donate, but Bitcoin cannot be used in China。
eos m eosm2 6d 5d3

amitkattal

Is it possible to have some sort of level indicator in eos m?. like to see if the camera is tilted or straight?

m300

I seem to have lost HDMI output in Movie Mode only. I tried resetting the ML settings as well as the Canon settings and custom functions but still nothing. Any ideas?

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Cropped real time preview with 3k and 4k modes

Quite epicly theBilalFakhouri gave us real time preview in higher resolutions. Have fun.

eXodus

I really hope that someone knows a fix for this issue I'm having. I think it started happening ever since 2.5k got viable, so.. somewhere around fall of last year, I think? Whenever I try to record, my EOS M has to go through 3-6 failed attempts until it actually keeps going - then I can record for minutes without any issues, but this happens every time I boot up the camera and it gets really damn annoying. It also doesn't seem to matter which mode I'm in, but I usually record in 2.5k. I've been using several different builds (currently on 'Jul19') and my SD card is a Lexar Prof. 1667x SDXC-II v60, which is obv fast enough to handle the amount of data.

Things I've tried: Making sure that fps override and similar stuff is turned off / using the SD card warm-up feature (all the way up to the highest setting) / trying out a different SD card (some random Transcend v30) / turning off all the liveview features like zebras etc / using different fps settings / using those new SD card hacks / reinstalling ML

Nothing worked so far. Is this just plain and simple SD card incompatibility? Because the EOS M can't work with SDXC-II cards or something? I could try out one of those SanDisk Extreme Pro that people like to use~ But I wanna make sure that this is the exact problem before I throw my money out of the window if this doesn't fix anything, haha. Could it be that my camera is just faulty itself? Looking forward to any possible solution here~

Another minor question -- is it possible to automatically apply audio settings after startup? They always seem to default back to the standard values whenever I boot up the camera and I usually have to enter the canon menu, go into the audio settings and back out again for it to actually set the levels correctly. It's just a minor inconvenience compared to my main issue, but it would be neat.

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- 2.8K preset added(only 2.39:1 and 2.35:1 but continuous). Also works with 25fps.

Thanks to real time preview in higher resolutions I decided to add a 2.8k preset. Pixel map files also updated.

Reachable here:

and here:

Possie

Emyoss

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner in the world of photography and I'm having problems with the ML installed on my EOS-M. First of all :

I have installed and reinstalled several versions of ML but each time, it's impossible for me to shoot more than in "1080p" ( 1736x976 & 1736x738 ) in fact, when I shoot in 2k 3k 4k etc. the screen becomes weird full of glitch, well as I want to film in RAW ; it's a problem, but not the worst!

The real problm is : when I want to do the auto-focus by pressing the main button, the camera thinks I want to take a picture (even when I don't press it, half press) what happens then is the worst bug: the screen goes crazy, and it even happened that it doesn't want to restart before I remove the battery ...

Any help would be appreciated, if other people have had this kind of experience don't hesitate to tell me how you managed to fix it.

Specs :

My hardware: Canon EOS-M + Pancake Ef-M 22mm, SD card: SDXC SanDisk Extreme PRO 64 GB, 170 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30.

My current version of ML: Last Danne's version

Jip-Hop

This is awesome!

Very much looking forward to properly try this out.

I did some crop factor calculations for different modes, to see how they compare relative to the width of a full frame sensor.

4.61x (1.6 * 2.88) in mv1080 x3crop 1800px wide
3.29x (1.6 * 2.06) in 2.5k @ 2.35:1
2.96x (1.6 * 1.85) in 2.8k @ 2.35:1

The 2.8k crop is a good match with lenses for Super16 sensors, since Super16 is 2.88x crop relative to full frame sensor width. This 2.8k mode comes really close to the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera in terms of field of view.

EOS M sensor size: 22.3 x 14.9 mm
EOS M sensor width: 5184px

From my quick testing I conclude that the 2.8k mode has THE perfect crop factor for my Kiev 16U lenses! The Mir-11 12.5mm F2 (Kiev 16U lens) is used to it's max area without heavy vignetting, resulting in approximately a 43mm focal length relative to full frame.

2blackbar

Good news is that some zoom lenses have bigger circle of confusion than usual when zoomed in, i have one where wide angle 4mm covers 16mm frame and when you zoom in to 12mm then it almost covers micro 4/3.I suspect a lot of zoom lenses work like this but not all of them, i have also krasnogorsk 3 lens but it works totally different and its hard to get focus because it needs to be exactly distanced from sensor or it wont work.

Walter Schulz

Maybe your are using CoC in a way not supposed to be. Maybe you confuse it with "Image Circle".

Jip-Hop

Quote from: 2blackbar on August 12, 2020, 09:34:59 PM
Good news is that some zoom lenses have bigger circle of confusion than usual when zoomed in, i have one where wide angle 4mm covers 16mm frame and when you zoom in to 12mm then it almost covers micro 4/3.I suspect a lot of zoom lenses work like this but not all of them, i have also krasnogorsk 3 lens but it works totally different and its hard to get focus because it needs to be exactly distanced from sensor or it wont work.

Which lens is that? Covering a 16mm frame at 4mm foals length would still make it a very wide lens on the 2.8k mode :)

2blackbar

Yes its a bit fisheye on wide end, but 12mm is not as distorted.ITs this one, i had to rip the casing for aperture to access the aperture film/blades and move them manually to close the lenes, also the lens is closed partially when not powered on. You cant do that also by feeding it 5V but i couldnt bother with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Tamron-M12VG412-Auto-Iris-Vari-Focal-Megapixel/dp/B00OBM8CB2
when i set 2.5k mode to 1920x1080 then it doesnt vignette in 16:9 on 4mm, but it has black corners on 4mm with full 2.5k, they disappear on about 7mm i think.
Yeah its image circle, it gets bigger when you zoom in, i think all 1/2'' , 2/3'' lenses should work on M crop mode and 2.5k modes Without vignetting.
1/2 or 2/3'' is close to 16mm film.
If You have speedbooster and canon 18-55mm, you can use it with 2.5 or 2.8k mode, its still quite wide.

SoFloCineFile

This new build is nothing short of amazing! Not sure if anyone has actually tested the max continuous recording times on 2.5k raw and beyond, but I did a test today (2.5k RAW, 16:9) and got a record time of 33 min, 51 sec...and the only reason it stopped there was because my sd card was full.

ZEEK

Yep, Continuous is possible for sure in that mode, just not with 2.5K resolution @16:9,
2-2.3K @16:9 yes definitely around continuous. 8)
EOS M

2blackbar

Are there new fpm files for 2.8k ? I have pixels onscreen in mlvapp 1.11 in this mode

Danne

I have uploaded new files. You should be getting a question if Mlv App needs updating I think. Could you test replacing all fpm files in your version of Mlv App with these maps? They are the latest ones.
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler-git/downloads/focus_pixel_maps.zip
Following map files are for 2.8k files:
80000331_2592x1109.fpm
80000331_2592x1108.fpm

And also good if you can upload one short example MLV not working.

EDIT: Maybe the official Mlv app version now still didn´t get the pixel updating automation included yet.

masc

Quote from: Danne on August 13, 2020, 11:30:24 AM
...You should be getting a question if Mlv App needs updating I think...
EDIT: Maybe the official Mlv app version now still didn´t get the pixel updating automation included yet.
The latest official version can't do this. You need a inofficial newer version.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

SoFloCineFile

Quote from: ZEEK on August 13, 2020, 10:35:45 AM
Yep, Continuous is possible for sure in that mode, just not with 2.5K resolution @16:9,
2-2.3K @16:9 yes definitely around continuous. 8)

Thx for the disclaimer Zeek :) I just opened up the recording in MLV app and realized that it was not 16 by 9 (more like 21 by 10)...I kind of like it though as its a fuller look than 2:39 or 2:35. Would you happen to have a quick tutorial or steps on how I'd be able to save this as a custom preset. I've tried several times and just cannot get the camera to save it.

ZEEK

Whatever settings you've set, it's saved automatically until you change it again.
Just select a Custom Mode, and select your preset/settings and they should save automatically within the CM you've chosen upon restart.
EOS M

Danne

Quote from: SoFloCineFile on August 13, 2020, 04:02:11 PM
Thx for the disclaimer Zeek :) I just opened up the recording in MLV app and realized that it was not 16 by 9 (more like 21 by 10)
How do you mean? Ratio is 16:9. 1920/1080 = 1.777. Then 2192/1.777=1233. So 2192x1233.

SoFloCineFile

Quote from: Danne on August 13, 2020, 05:27:19 PM
How do you mean? Ratio is 16:9. 1920/1080 = 1.777. Then 2192/1.777=1233. So 2192x1233.

So I shot at 2512 X 1190 in the clip I referred to earlier where I tested max recording time.

In the Magic Lantern recording settings I did indeed set it to 16:9, and I didn't notice that it wasn't 16:9 until I opened the recording up in MLV. It was my mistake as I didn't actually calculate out the aspect ratio from the resolution like you-- I assumed that Magic Lantern would have automatically adjusted it based on me having selected the 16:9 aspect ratio within the recording settings.

SoFloCineFile

I just realized that in the 2.5k RAW and above modes shutter fine tuning does not work...is that a known limitation of those modes?
I'm using the latest 8/11 build. Shutter fine tuning works in 1080 mode and the Anamorphic binning modes, just not any of the 2.5k and above modes for me.