Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

Quote from: IDA_ML on July 09, 2020, 12:06:38 PM
Camera operation is very stable and works well with AF and Magic zoom enabled.
+1
Really like where this is going, feels solid! 3K RAW 18fps is like continuous @2.35:1, I've tested it above 3 mins with the SD overclock and still signalling green. The 5K Anamorphic Mode is glorious, I'm a convert 8)
EOS M

Danne

Quote from: ZEEK on July 09, 2020, 01:09:16 PM
+1
Really like where this is going, feels solid! 3K RAW 18fps is like continuous @2.35:1, I've tested it above 3 mins with the SD overclock and still signalling green. The 5K Anamorphic Mode is glorious, I'm a convert 8)
Finally ;).

I updated focus pixel map for the 16:9 16fps mode as well:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/raw2mlv/downloads/focus_pixel_maps.zip

Add them to Mlv App.

bern047

Fantastic, I have pushed everything up a notch on my settings, most resolutions work with 14bit, well done Danne 

ZEEK

Quote from: Danne on July 09, 2020, 02:34:57 PM
I updated focus pixel map for the 16:9 16fps mode as well.
Great, cheers! 👍
EOS M

Francois_lune

Hi there,

I just tested this new experimental build, it looks fantastic, thanks for this work !

I have one question concerning the rec-trigger function : when set to "Half-shutter : pre only" , I have 2 frames recorded per half-shutter

I was using before the build : magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2019Mar24.EOSM202 which give me 1 frame per half-shutter with the same settings.
I also tested crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jul24.EOSM202 which give 1 frame too.

Did something change in the Rec-Trigger function? I couldn't find any setting to go back to only 1 frame recorded
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

Danne

You can use SET button for single frames. Halfshutter actually starts the selected crop rec preset and runs while holding halfshutter. Release halfshutter and it stops. I use this function while recording timelapses to include both interval and sequenced shots within a recorded mlv file.

Francois_lune

Thanks for your fast answer  ;)

I just did a test, it's indeed working with the SET button, only one frame is recorded.

The problem is that I modified the hardware of my EOS-M to have a Remote Shutter cord (i have soldered wires to the shutter button) so that I can connect a trigger to the camera. The trigger is sent by a Super 8 projector and allows the cam to record synchronized with the projector (Telecine).

Do you know if any setting would allow me to keep using the Half-Shutter for this purpose?
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

Danne

You could revert my changes and keep your own version of mlv_lite to compile.
In mlv_lite.c.
Following:
if (rec_trigger != REC_TRIGGER_HALFSHUTTER_PRE_ONLY || get_halfshutter_pressed())
to:
if (rec_trigger != REC_TRIGGER_HALFSHUTTER_PRE_ONLY)

Following:
    /* half-shutter trigger keys */
    if (RAW_IS_RECORDING)
    {
        if (key == MODULE_KEY_PRESS_SET || key == MODULE_KEY_PRESS_HALFSHUTTER)
        {
            switch (rec_trigger)
            {
                case REC_TRIGGER_HALFSHUTTER_START_STOP:
                {
                    pre_record_triggered = !pre_record_triggered;
                    break;
                }

case REC_TRIGGER_HALFSHUTTER_HOLD:
                case REC_TRIGGER_HALFSHUTTER_PRE_ONLY:
                {
                    pre_record_triggered = 1;
                    break;
                }
            }
        }

if (key == MODULE_KEY_UNPRESS_HALFSHUTTER)
        {
            switch (rec_trigger)
            {
                    pre_record_triggered = 0;
                    break;
            }
        }
    }

to:
    /* half-shutter trigger keys */
    if (RAW_IS_RECORDING)
    {
        if (key == MODULE_KEY_PRESS_HALFSHUTTER)
        {
            switch (rec_trigger)
            {
                case REC_TRIGGER_HALFSHUTTER_START_STOP:
                {
                    pre_record_triggered = !pre_record_triggered;
                    break;
                }

{
                    pre_record_triggered = 1;
                    break;
                }
            }
        }

if (key == MODULE_KEY_UNPRESS_HALFSHUTTER)
        {
            switch (rec_trigger)
            {
                    pre_record_triggered = 0;
                    break;
            }
        }
    }

Should be it.

Francois_lune

Thanks a lot !

I have no idea how to do it but I will try to learn ;)
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

bern047

Hi Francois Lune, I am very interested in you cine capture work with the EOS M, could you kindly post me details of your setup if you want to share it, much appreciated

Francois_lune

After some hours of struggling, I managed to compile something using the Compiler.app on mac  :P , at least I think I did

When compiled (without any modification for now), I have something different from the last version posted here : no one touch Presets, Menus are not the same, recording seems to be unstable....

I am wondering if I am working on the right branch, crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only is correct?

EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

Danne

Yes, correct branch. If you don´t modify, what do you get? ALso important with this source. magic-lantern_jip-hop.
Problematic also atm that I can´t post changes to bitbucket anymore. Vacuum period.

Francois_lune

Without modification, I have more or less the same things but organised differently in the menu. Also, the preview doesn't seems to be really stable and I couldn't get the same resolution with 5K anamorphic as I had with the version posted here. When Recording I have an error  EDMAC Timeout.

Not sure to understand with magic_lantern_jip-hop , is that another path for the branch or a module on top of the build? (trying to learn, sorry if absolute beginner question)

Edit : I think I got it, I should download your repository from : bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip-hop and not bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern magic-lantern_dannephoto  ?
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

Teamsleepkid

still not possible to go above 1800 by 756 in crop mode with this new horse power? It's probably a limitation of crop mode right? Thats the best mode because we have real time live view...
EOS M

Danne

1800 in what preset mode?
Timers and height limitation will not dissappear due to faster sd_uhs patching. More likely you could run 14bit or 12bit instead of 10bit.

Teamsleepkid

Maybe rephrase my question..Whats the highest resolution possible with 24fps and real time live view? Preferably without aliasing. Hence the 3x crop mode I thought it capped out at 1800x754 or something like that. I'm playing around with this 1080 hf mode. Looks like it's higher res. I'll keep testing. And Thanks Danne you the man.
EOS M

Danne

Francois_lune

Quote from: Danne on July 10, 2020, 07:03:05 PM
Yes, correct branch. If you don´t modify, what do you get? ALso important with this source. magic-lantern_jip-hop.
Problematic also atm that I can´t post changes to bitbucket anymore. Vacuum period.

Modifications are done, it's working, 1 frame/half-shutter, thanks for your help ! I now have a 5k Telecine ;)
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

Danne

I think your code environment is a bit old since hg is read only on bb for now. However I temporarily created a git account just to be able and upload recent code changes. So if you download with git somewhere locally you can then drag the folder onto Compiler.app and it should work as before with hg source control. Choose branch add your changes etc:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip_hop_git/src/master/

Francois_lune

Not sure to understand your last message...
I modified from : https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip_hop_git/src/master/
Is there a newer code I should download from another host?
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

Danne

Francois_lune

ok, I think this is what I did ( I basically followed those instructions : https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=21882.0 )
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

Danne

Yes, but you were using an older source. This is the latest.

Francois_lune

I first downloaded  your repository from : bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern magic-lantern_dannephoto (this gave me this unstable Build without modification )

and then downloaded from bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip-hop  (the one I modified from and that seems to work well)

or maybe you mean you did some changes in the last hours and I should download  and modify again ?
EOS-M   /  EOS 70D

Danne

Yes, that is still an older source. Bitbucket stopped supporting mercurial so can't push changes to that place anymore. If you want the latest use the proposed source.