Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardopt

Quote from: masc on June 22, 2020, 01:50:19 PM
There are 2 different 2.5K modes. One brings 1920x1080, the other 2192x1234 for 16:9 ratio.

How do i get the 2192x1234? i must be doing something wrong.

masc

Quote from: ricardopt on June 22, 2020, 01:54:30 PM
How do i get the 2192x1234? i must be doing something wrong.
Choose "2.5K 2520x1418" mode and select 16:9. That's all.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Quote from: ricardopt on June 22, 2020, 01:31:28 PM
Thanks Danne, i was writting the reply while you posted yours. will try it your suggestion, if i want to record 16:9 on 2.5k mode i need to select 16:9 on movie tab and what in the raw sub video menu? 16:9 as well?
Don´t touch those settings at all. Should be at max.

ricardopt

Quote from: masc on June 22, 2020, 02:01:09 PM
Choose "2.5K 2520x1418" mode and select 16:9. That's all.

dah...right in front of me. Thanks

Quote from: Danne on June 22, 2020, 02:24:01 PM
Don+´t touch those settings at all. Should be at max.

Thanks Danne!

clubsoda

Quote from: Kgncom on June 09, 2020, 01:59:47 AM
Hello, I'm fairly new to the forum but I've been using Danne's build for EOSM and I've been having a lot of fun. However I've recently run into some issues (big and small) and am wondering if anyone on the forum can help.

I couldn't get the cam to record and shoot with a EFM to c mount adapter in. I had to make use of the recording delay function in the video tab, this probably has an easy fix i can't find but it was annoying to work around and was wondering what setting i need to change in ML or in camera to get that to work. I was also having issues with the SD overclock. I don't know what causes but eventually the card will refuse to record at higher bitrates, this will happen even while recording. I'll have continuous recording, everything is stable, but suddenly the write speed tanks the buffer fills up and recording stops. After that the card stays at low write Speed, I've been using a legit SanDisk Extreme pro 90MB/s 64GB and a Lexar Pro 1000x 128GB. The write speed tanking happens seemingly at random, and after that I need to clear the frame buffers, and dump the ROM, and occasionally the cards speed come back, only to invariably return to slowpoke mode. Neither of these are the big issue tho.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16262.0 I ran into this problem. Flashing green LED and no boot. Camera would only boot without an SD. Regardless of what is on an SD, any SD card in Camera will make it not boot and perpetually flash the LED. I managed to save my camera by getting the camera to boot with the battery door open (i had to push in a little pin inside the battery compartment) and pushing in the SD card right after turning the camera on. This somehow avoided the flashing LED AND read the card. I used this to reinstall firmware 2.0.2 and wipe all settings and format the card again. I thought nothing of this and reinstalled ML i still had to deal with the funky SD write behaviour but everything seemed good, however after a few days it started doing the same hanging thing again, and I had to repeat the process. I am more than willing to run tests if any of the devs need some research done here as no one should have to deal with this bricked/hanging camera crap.

EDIT: So it appears that this LED hanging behaviour occurs now even when ML hasnt been installed, have to do the card thign just to get the cam to acknowledge the card. Wondering what it could be.

Looks like i have a very similar problem maybe the same here is my info:

I shoot on latest danne build and the settings are 25fps 1/50 with x3 crop in mcm rewire 1080 with 1800x1012 and it's 14 bit lossless raw. I use the kiev 16u lenses. If i expose with zebras set to 100 to avoid most clipped areas in the highlights the recording is continues most of the time. But as soon as the clipped areas increase more then a little or as soon as i am recording something that is really white the recording time gets red and it stops after 2 seconds or so. I was standing outside with f16 on the 12mm and iso 100 and couldn't record to 3 seconds. This also happened inside shooting a dark underexposed room with small windows on the other side where maybe some small areas have clipped because of the bright light outside. I couldn't even record 2 seconds. I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro and else i have no problem. Now the funny thing is after all these things happened i could expose like i want but it won't work anymore at all even if image is completely white or black. It always stops after 2 seconds and then writes the buffer to the sd card. Did i something wrong or is it just the limit of the camera? A bug? Maybe there is something happening with the datarate when some scenarios appear in the image or the camera gets unstable after the first recording? If i use the nd filter i can avoid highlights clipping better and the problem is reduced but still happening. I try to shoot documentary with it and need continues recording with 25fps (germany) 16:9 and i also need the crop mode to reduce rolling shutter. Is there anything i can do the fix the problem? :)

lewismatt92

This may relate to the above post, but I am not sure!

Hey everyone! New here and just wanted to say thank you the Danne and everyone who takes the time to help with this awesome project.

My question (and Zeek has been very helpful via instagram) has to do with continuous recording in the "mv1080p MCM Rewire" or "HD 1080p" in the touch screen menu (i assume both are the same). I have followed all of the instructions to get continuous recording in 1080p, 14 bit lossless, 16:9, 1736x976. I get continuous recording almost all of the time but have been having a strange issue when filming outside with a lot of daylight. It seems as if something is overexposed in frame I get less data and it knocks out continuous recording.

I am using a sandisk extreme pro 64 gb/170mbs (which i bought at best buy so i think it is real) and I tested it online and it seemed to be reading and writing at about 80mbs.

Has anyone had an issue like this? If I have my image correctly framed and lit it doesn't effect but if I am using the camera on the go and accidentally over expose it effects the record quality.

clubsoda

This is exactly the problem that i found too. Though i must admit i fixed my fast stopping recording now because of an sd card extender that may had an issue. I can now record most of the time but still if i overexpose i may risk a stop for the recording.

2blackbar

lewismatt92

clubsoda

I tried it too but nothing changed :/ hmm

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- sd_uhs patch speed increase, (thanks to theBilalFakhouri) https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12862.msg228659#msg228659
- bench.mo added back(enable in Modules section)

What would be good to test is if 95Mb/s sandisk extreme pro cards will work with 192MHz setting or not. I had conflicting reports. Try low level format in camera if issues appear.
Also report in general if 170Mb/s cards works as expected.

2blackbar

With my card Sandisk Extreme PRO 128 GB , highest i got write speed in older build was 54, with this new one i have 59 but its hard to tell if new overclocking helped, i also used 192mhz.with 160 i got 54 like with old build.
So, now im testing anamorphic mode amd ots between green and orange , filming over moinute now, previously i had like 10 seconds.
So i think there is something going on and its a very good result.Recorded over 2 minutes in anamorphic 10 bit but i t could go longer, i stopped it.

With my other card i had like 34 and now its 51 on 160mhz.Its 64GB canvas GO.

Danne

Canvas, hehe.
You could test against bench.mo. Start bench in photo mode. When started push play button to get into play mode.

2blackbar

tested with bench.mo , now in photo mode  60 MB/s write  and 64MB/s read  :)
This is definitely working .My normal speed previously was 54 and i could not record more than 10 seconds with anamorphic modes, now its stable with over 2 minutes recording time.I also did low level format before using it, just in case.
Thanks a lot guys to make it work on M ! theBilalFakhouri for pushing it..
Is it safe to use 192 on that sandisk extreme pro that i have ? What bad could happen ?

Danne

You can test any of the patches on your card.
Did you push play button after starting bench? It should do a little better with the numbers.

2blackbar

77 MB/s write speed when i pushed play, how come ? read speed 85. :o

Canvas Go 64GB is now 63 MB/s in play mode.Was about 34 without new overclocking.Also its specs says that its 45MB/s writing speed.64 is definitely above the specs.But here they also got higher number than claimed speed https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/kingston-canvas-go-v30-64gb-sdxc-memory-card/

Tullen

Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB 95MB/s

Low level format in camera (Menu button -> First tool icon -> Format card -> tick in low level format and press OK)

A few tests runs of the benchmark as well as taking a picture, so card was not totally empty when I run the below benchmarks.

Modules tab -> Bench.mo ON -> Restart -> Debug tab -> sd overclock -> 160MHz -> Restart -> Debug tab ->  Benchmarks -> Card Benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min) -> press play

160MHz
Play-160mhz" border="0

Debug tab -> sd overclock -> 192MHz -> Restart -> Debug tab ->  Benchmarks -> Card Benchmarks -> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min) -> press play

192MHz
Play-192mhz" border="0

Edit: 240MHz gave around 20 MB/s and Global Draw Off made no difference.

Danne

80Mb/s write speed. Good card.
Anybody tested the 240Mhz patch?

masc

Same numbers here like @Tullen, but 64GB 95MB/s, 160 and 192MHz.
Quote from: masc on July 04, 2020, 11:33:28 AM
Wicked! Now we're talking! Found the low level format. "Formatierung in niedriger Stufe" in german... WTF?!
Speed drop is gone. Here the new numbers for 192MHz:

240MHz setting brings 21MB/s write, and 22MB/s read speed.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Hehe, nice masc.
So we need to find this last piece for eosm :).

2blackbar

Kgncom

192MHz mode. The 240 mode just gave me super slow speeds of 20-22MB/s. Forgot to snag a pick, if you need it tho Danne I'll wait around for it again haha.
70D | EOSM

2blackbar

Looks like its working great and theres definitely inmprovement not only in benchmark but actual filming, i can record longer in all modes

Tullen

Quote from: Kgncom on July 04, 2020, 12:26:28 PM
192MHz mode. The 240 mode just gave me super slow speeds of 20-22MB/s. Forgot to snag a pick, if you need it tho Danne I'll wait around for it again haha.

If you look at your sd card you will find screenshots there called benchX.ppm. You can use infraview to open them and save them as jpeg for a cleaner sharing of your results.

Danne

Thanks all. No need for more tests around 240Mhz. Simply isn't working. Seemingly, only on eosm. Go figure.