Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Quote from: IDA_ML on May 04, 2020, 10:10:16 AM
I did not use the intervalometer on the EOS-M because the settings that I listed gave me perfect reciprocity (fps/shutter speed = 1) and I was happy with that.
Intervalometer itself don't affect your shutter speed. It gives you control over interval between frames. Right now you're recording 1 fps continuous but timelapse effect often benefits from longer pauses between takes.
On a sidenote one can achieve more control over shutter working with frame averaging. Record bursts of 24 frames if doing 24fps presets. In post average these bursts into single files. Effect should be the same as doing fps override 1s but without any latency in liveview. Also opens up to use  a greater aperture, no need for nd filters etc.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on May 06, 2020, 04:32:14 AM
On a sidenote one can achieve more control over shutter working with frame averaging. Record bursts of 24 frames if doing 24fps presets. In post average these bursts into single files. Effect should be the same as doing fps override 1s but without any latency in liveview. Also opens up to use  a greater aperture, no need for nd filters etc.

Thanks a lot for this clarification, Danne.  I didn't know about these useful additional effects of the intervalometer mode.  Just thought, it will be good to set the pause between frames and the duration of the take.  Will play more with it before heading for my next timelapse filming.

By the way, I think that the 5k anamorphic full sensor readout mode is revolutionary!  Finally aliasing free footage of very high quality, even with Dual ISO.  I don't fear filming continuous regular video at 14 fps any more.  Interpolation to 24 fps in Resolve really provides excellent results and very smooth beautifully looking video due to the nice motion blur.  Great job on that one!

IDA_ML

I also have another question about a function that would make our lives easier.  Would it be possible to memorize specific custom settings, that differ from the hard coded presets, similar to C1, C2 and C3 on the 5DMkIII?  These custom settings should be easily accessible as on the 5D3.  Why, and aren't the already available presets not enough?

Well, not really.  I often change modes and when I go back to a previous mode, something has changed (shutter speed, shutter fine tuning or resolution, etc. ), so I have to adjust these settings again and this takes valuable time and wastes battery power.  If I have a specific setting that I use often and I can store it as C2 for example, after filming in another mode or use another preset, every time I want to come back, I simply select custom setting C2 and it restores all of my settings stored in that custom mode.  This is how they do it in the 5D3. 

Danne

In later builds 5k anamorphic flv is at 10fps. This to be able to use the full sensor readout.
Custom save could probably be done to a config file but for me a lot work involved and nothing I would really use. A much better approach for you is to build a custom preset list with lua and put it in lua section.
A lot of ongoing lua progress around here so you could ask someone or try yourself.
Or even buy an extra eosm. They´re cheap enough...

IDA_ML

Yes, if someone familiar with LUA scripting would be interested in jumping in and implementing this additional custom functionality, I am sure, this will make many EOS-M shooters quite happy.

Danne

What many wants is maybe not that relevant if you think about it.
If you can't find time to do it yourself just create a post describing what you want someone else to do for you. If possible suggest a little sum of money or volunteer as a tester.

IDA_ML

Yes, of course I would volunteer as a tester - I am interested in that myself.  I did that a lot in the past, remember?

The idea is to memorize a current set of settings, (say timelapse filming at 5k anamorphic with intervalometer active - C1), on a push of a button for C1-C3, just as this is done in the 5D3.  And then, restoring those C1 settings, (from say 1080p MCM rewired),  should be possible on a push of a button and maybe a C1-C3  selection from a submenu too.  The quick selection of ISO and aperture on a push of a button is simply fantastic, as it is now in the EOS-M.  Custom sets of C1-C3 settings should be selectable in a similar way too.

Danne

Yes I know what you mean. Better you start a new forum post dedicated to this.

Disease

I am actually getting into this camera a lot more, I forgive its aliasing and other issues because its like a damn swiss army knife with ML installed.
Also I love the actual ergonomics of the camera, its a solid piece of metal, its tough, small, easy to hold. I love taking shots in the streets and stuff and no one cares when you have a tiny little cam like this. The still images are actually really nice out of the cam, the video footage is like muddy and aliasing and moire but still better than most cheap camcorders and this cost me £100 with the kit lens! Also the audio in is nice and clean, just chucked in a lapel mic and record nice clean audio.

One thing is though the audio seems to be coming in much hotter than the meter indicated? Was literally almost clipping when I saw it on the timeline... Noted it is a little on the hot side, better to have too much gain than not enough like the BMPCC!

I hope the more I master this camera I can get cleaner images from the video, but for now, for a bit of fun and a decent stills camera its a steal. I have a better camera if I want some cleaner video. It is also good to have this community here to ask any questions and learn from...

See that darn RGB moire crap in the trees? Is that normal?

https://youtu.be/Vp6nGto8SVk

Danne

It's as good as 5DIII in 5k anamorphic mode. 2.5k 1x1 crop is stellar too.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Disease on May 06, 2020, 05:13:04 PM
See that darn RGB moire crap in the trees? Is that normal?

Yes, this is normal in the 3x3 modes.  You can lessen moire and aliasing doing the following:

1) Try to avoid filming in high-contrast lit scenes.  Avoid high-contrast edges and straight lines in your scenes;

2) If possible, try not to use your sharpest lenses.  Vintage manual focus lenses do a great job in reducing moire and aliasing!

3) Try to film in the full sensor readout 5k anamorphic mode at 14 fps and then using the optical flow method in Resolve, interpolate your footage to 24 fps.  This works best for me.

4) Play with the chromatic aberation slider in MLVApp to suppress the color artefacts.

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- refining higher frame rates
- custom modes

Been having issues with higher framerates for a long time. This is an attempt to fix frame corruption and increasing resolution for no ratio and 16:9 ratio. These modes needs testing so any help would be appreciated. There´s still a chance for frame corruption if you enable set_25fps. This will give you 48fps in 2.39:1 and 2.35:1 ratios. Otherwise 46fps.
Kill global draw enabled is mandatory for corruption freeness.

The other feature is about custom modes. Works like this. Upon installing magic lantern a folder tree is built but will not become active before a first reboot after install. Not the nicest way but better than having to go in manually and create these custom folders. Folders can be renamed to whatever you like. Folders are located in SETTINGS folder on your card.
How to use custom modes. Simply select a mode i.e CM1 and restart camera and then start customize any magic lantern setting. All will be saved into this folder. If you want more modes choose another i.e CM2 and restart camera and keep customize.
You can copy these folders into new magic lantern builds in the future if you like too. A small text with chosen custom mode will be showing in the right corner when checking menus to let you know where you are saving settings into.
More info from a1ex post here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24993.msg226872#msg226872

Higher fps refining

Before first reboot

After reboot

Thanks a1ex, Walter Schulz, IDA_ML

EDIT: reduced 16:9 to 38 fps for continuous recording reasons.

Walter Schulz

Little hint about renaming:
You should only use 12 characters if you rename your folders (because of 8.3 naming convention). Failing to do so will force cam to create a copy of your folder and name will be shortened to fit.

Example:
Folder name JustALongString will create a second folder named
JustALongStr

Both folders will show up in menu with just 12 characters visible. You can't tell them by name but the first one from top will be the one you created.
Try to avoid this.

This feature can handle up to 13 folders.

Your cam will order folders chronological according to folder creation or rename date!

ZEEK

Quote from: Danne on May 09, 2020, 09:16:51 AM
New build:
Looks really good Danne, congrats! Saves me from switching SD Cards each time ;). I'll test it out tomorrow. Cheers! :)
EOS M

Danne

Updated build again:

No need for rebooting to get custom mode list enabled after vanilla install. Reboot still needed before customizing though. You need to be in one of the custom modes to be able and store configurations in the selected mode:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24993.msg226973#msg226973

Thanks a1ex.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on May 09, 2020, 09:16:51 AM
These modes needs testing so any help would be appreciated. There´s still a chance for frame corruption if you enable set_25fps. This will give you 48fps in 2.39:1 and 2.35:1 ratios. Otherwise 46fps.

This one just caught the corner of my eye. I've been hiding in the shadows as of late meanwhile watching Danne's bitbucket page which keeps on growing and yet still get updates periodically.  8)

That tells me that this community is still thriving (maybe not to the best of our ability) regardless of the unprecedented times we're all in. I'll definitely give this one a test run re: high FPS.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

JRTRR

Hi I'm James and I could really use some help.
I tried installing the most recent build of Magic Lantern for my Canon EOS M and it hasn't worked properly. I installed the build from the Dannephoto may 9th version and copied it onto my SD card. After putting in the SD card into my camera and clicking on the firmware update it said that it was incorrect and told me to remove my battery. I then went back in to my camera to find that the firmware had changed from 2.02 to 2.03 but Magic Lantern still hasn't installed. If anyone can give me any help on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated as I am very unsure of what to do to fix this and add Magic Lantern another way.

Danne

Unclear description. If you´re on firmware version version 2.0.3 downgrade to 2.0.2 and then it will work.

2blackbar

Danne did You changed structure cause croprec is not in modules in jiphop branch , i used hg clone https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip-hop   like before
What should i clone and merge  ?
Quote$ hg update crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only
abort: unknown revision 'crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only'!

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip-hop
cd magic-lantern_jip-hop
hg update crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only
cd platform
cd eosm.202

ok solved it

Danne

hehe, good. I was a bit surprised myself for a while but my brainfreeze just stopped here as well ;).

2blackbar

I noticed that anamorphic 1x3 mode does not work without ratio enabled, is it how its made, or a bug ? Cause normally i disable ratio and i change aspect ratio in tother submenu with resolutions and all cause it has a lot more options and ratios.
So when i turn off ratio and want to use anamorphic 5k 1x3 (second mode on the list under HD1080P) then half the image is pink and its single frame.
Not like its not working cause all you need to do is enable ratio menu.But i must admit i thought i changed some values in croprec by mistake and tried to figure it out,  cause i thought i broke that mode by tinkering.

Danne

What happens when ratio is off it goes into flv full resolution live view and in 10 fps. That is you push menu button a couple of times to get the regs to settle.
When in this mode you can enable set_25fps and you'll get 2.35:1 full width 1736 in 18 fps.
Otherwise I hardcoded the selection in Movie tab menu.
Experimenting with other resolutions can be done from ratios off but it starts off in 10fps. Not likely that increasing fps with fps override will go more than 12 fps.

2blackbar

I see, would it be possible to get 4:3 ratio as well in ratio menu? It could be useful, what should i include to get new ratio, but now that i see it, requires shitload of regs  :o
Can i modify it from 16:9 ? And just use more skip pixels on left right

Danne

2blackbar

but that won get max vertical res i suppose? or i should i simply not skip any pixels on bottom and top to get full vertical res ?