Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IDA_ML

Quote from: raptor on April 26, 2020, 09:06:24 PM
Hi, is anyone here who uses FRSP (full res silent picture) feature on a regular basis or at least played a bit with it?

The reason why I avoid using FRSP is that this mode does not allow proper aperture control on some of my best lenses and I cannot stop them down enough for reasonable depth of field.  I prefer the 5k anamorphic setting in the Movie mode instead.  The image quality degradation compared to FRSP is negligible and not perceptible unless you pixel peep at 100%.  Even then, you will barely see a difference in image quality.  You can set almost any shutter speed starting from 0,4 fps and have full aperture control and very useful focusing aid tools.  Danne also implemented two very useful averaging options which do a great job with noise reduction, in case your photos need to be taken in low-light conditions.  For timelapses, you have very smooth transitions and zero dead time from frame to frame which provides very smooth footage.  Finally, 5k anamorphic provides enough vertical resolution to be used with Dual ISO too.  This will give you up to 3 stops more dynamic range while still retaining high image quality.  Personally, I prefer Dual ISO to stacking bracketed photos since it provides a more natural result out of the box and saves me a lot of HDR tweaking in post - I am not good at that.  And as Danne said, MLVApp can process your footage/photos directly and this will save you a lot of time.

Finally, an used EOS-M is so cheap now that you cannot go wrong with it.  If you buy also a Viltrox x0,71 Speedbooster, you will enjoy a further boost in wide angle performance with the EF lenses you have.  A also recommend a LCD viewfinder for working at bright light, otherwise you barely see the screen .

Good luck!

fanfzero

So, right now what are the advices for not having pink frames? Today I'ven using the eosm with a trascend r95 card and got like 2 or 3 pink frames per minute, can it be most likely the card? Because I have a sandisk extreme pro too, but it's on another camera and would have to do a backup of it to format it and use it with the m

ZEEK

In what mode did you get pink frames, MCM Rewire, 2.5K?
It's most likely the card you're using. It has good Read Speed, but the Write speed ain't good enough. SanDisk Extreme PRO is like the Boss, stick with that. Lexar Pro 1000x cards are also good.
EOS M

Danne

Quote from: ZEEK on April 28, 2020, 02:36:36 AM
In what mode did you get pink frames, MCM Rewire, 2.5K?
It's most likely the card you're using. It has good Read Speed, but the Write speed ain't good enough. SanDisk Extreme PRO is like the Boss, stick with that. Lexar Pro 1000x cards are also good.
+ 1

Tell us exact mode and settings.

Fun stuff. I recorded in a very bright setting a couple of days ago with hd1080p mode with 1736x1158 14bit 24fps. I had one corrupted frame. Yikes. Thought only higher framerates could cause this by now. Next time I'll enable kill global draw. Should keep it safe from pink frames.

fanfzero

Sorry, forgot to write it, mode is 5k anamorphic, 10 bit 24fps
I don't seem to get pink frames on 1080p
I'll test with the extreme pro to see how it goes
What does the kill global draw option exactly do?

Danne

raptor

Thanks a lot Danne and IDA_ML for the info!

Quote from: Danne on April 27, 2020, 04:25:45 AM
Lua can be used to modify shutter, iso, other settings. If frsp enabled shouldn't make no difference.

The reason I ask is because on my 550D the FRSP (or even Simple low res silent pic) doesn't work with exposure bracketing nor focus stacking. Only single photo is always taken. But I also experience the bug with a black screen after FRSP shot and have to always return to Live view by half pressing the shutter button again. So maybe FRSP mode is really much more limited on 550D. That is great if it works with bracketing and other features on EOS M.

Quote from: Danne on April 27, 2020, 04:25:45 AM
Longer shutter times than with 550d. Don't think so but not sure here.

What about the fastest shutter speed? I wonder if I could get at least the same results as 60D here (from 1/10 or maybe 1/30 sec to 5 sec):
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.msg122956#msg122956

Quote from: IDA_ML on April 27, 2020, 08:27:43 AM
The reason why I avoid using FRSP is that this mode does not allow proper aperture control on some of my best lenses and I cannot stop them down enough for reasonable depth of field.

Yeah, that is a big limitation of FRSP. Actually I play with the idea of getting a used Nikon lens and adpater because Nikon lenses (I don't know if all of them though) have a little lever that controls the aperture. Some of the adapters make use of it and allow you to move the lever (with a bigger lever or ring) thus manually setting the aperture. But of course the disadvantage of manual lens is that you cannot do automated focus stacking and if the adapter is not perfect there might be a little bit of play.
Do you have any lenses where the aperture actually worked with FRSP? If so, could you please state their full name?

Quote from: IDA_ML on April 27, 2020, 08:27:43 AM
I prefer the 5k anamorphic setting in the Movie mode instead.  The image quality degradation compared to FRSP is negligible and not perceptible unless you pixel peep at 100%.  Even then, you will barely see a difference in image quality.

That sounds interesting. I looked a bit into it and if I understand it correctly the anamorphic 5K setting just crops the photo (or frame).  What exactly causes the slight IQ degradation compared to the FRSP? Is it just the crop (resolution) or is there any bit depth degradation or even compression? This might sound stupid but I am gonna ask just in case :) ... is there any stretching or transformation applied to the image in camera?
What would be the highest resolution photo I could get with this anamorphic 5K setting? If there are any downloadable .MLV  shots of the same scene and with the same exposure (one taken with FRSP and one taken with anamorph. 5K) somewhere, that would be excellent.

Are there any other problems (vignetting, artifacts, ...) with silent pics on EOS M (FRSP or anamorph. 5K) to be aware of like described here?:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.msg122916#msg122916
QuotePlus there is a strange top-corner vignetting after 1/30 which seems it exists anyway in the all pictures in every exporuse although it isnt always very noticeable.

Again, thanks a lot guys for your help! I appreciate it. I am sure it will be useful to other users as well. I asked a lot of questions, don't bother with all of them if you don't know the answer, I will be grateful for any info.

ZEEK

Fun stuff. I recorded in a very bright setting a couple of days ago with hd1080p mode with 1736x1158 14bit 24fps. I had one corrupted frame. Yikes. Thought only higher framerates could cause this by now. Next time I'll enable kill global draw. Should keep it safe from pink frames.
I really like that, a nice but of extra resolution, though it's like 5:3. I tested it a while back on the M2 with Nikon G lenses, it was nice. I don't remember the dropped frame stuff. May have to test it again.
EOS M

Danne

It's kind of perfect for real estate filming grabbing the full sensor.

kuchka94

hi guys, can you help me? in latest build i can't get working 1080hf in crop mode. i'm choosing 1080hf, full sensor works ok, but when i toogle to crop pressing SET button, picture becomes green/violet(different segments). i tried everything, changing bit, aspect rations, fps, etc. all menu tabs and different settings. but no luck in crop mode.
in previous builds it was ok by choosing slowmo 1080 crop mode from menu or slowmo 1080 + press set button.
What i'm doing wrong? thanks for advice!

Danne

kuchka94

i use 25fps in canon menu, but tried 24 and 30, nothing change

Danne

Could you give me exact settings, preset, etc so I can try and reproduce. Preferrably a screen recording or printscreens to go with that?

kuchka94

video with settings, you can see all in 2 minutes, after i tried different settings.
https://youtu.be/amfGy6QCDt0

Danne

Thanks for the vid. Reproduced the issue. I will take a look.

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Fix for higher frame rate modes in x3crop. Issue reported by @kuchka94

Edit: Still notice some black level issues in x3crop. Not consistent. Might take a look. Related to black level automation as always I suppose.

cmh

Danne

No problem.
Just pushed another build. Think the black level issue is fixed. Happened due to timing registry and only x3crop while in hf modes. Feel free to test and report back if working. Also look for pink frames. Maybe better timing now...

Danne

Ok, tested new timer regs but the older ones seems better for non crop modes in higher framerate. Therefore I run the old timing regs for non crop mode but when in x3crop I enable new timing regs. Workaround. Not sure x3crop is even working good with higher framerates.
New build pushed again.

cmh

I did a quick test with kuchka94's settings (high framerate, 3x crop on/off, etc). Everything's fine.

kuchka94

thanks! its perfect now :) all 46/48/50 fps  8)

critix

Canon 1300D, 500D, EOS M, EOS M2

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Decided to reduce x3crop to 47fps due to pink frames otherwise. Aiming to have 2.39:1 and 2.35:1 modes free from pink frames with higher frame rates. 16:9 is pretty much hit and miss here so leaving it for now.

critix

Danne's latest changes, but for 2.0.3:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg224844#msg224844
with:
- Decided to reduce x3crop to 47fps due to pink frames otherwise. Aiming to have 2.39:1 and 2.35:1 modes free from pink frames with higher frame rates. 16:9 is pretty much hit and miss here so leaving it for now.
Canon 1300D, 500D, EOS M, EOS M2