Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luther

Quote from: Daniel_hungary on March 24, 2020, 10:47:38 AM
Please help me somehow I wish I could use dual ISO!
How are you processing the MLV file? Test MLVApp and see if it still has the same issue...

ygadinthesix

Hi Guys!

Wondering if you can help me with something.

I'm using the Danne build from January on my Canon EOS M.

I'm trying to use the Silent Picture mode for photography, and the DNG files I'm getting are coming out all Magenta with a lot of artifacts.

I have it set to Full-Res, Half-Shutter Press, Lossless DNG.

ISO is at 400, and the shutter is at 1/110

I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC Card with a  170mb/s transfer rating.

I'm importing the files directly into Lightroom. Is there a step I am missing?

Anyone experience anything like this before? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Here are the sample DNG files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iSdWd89Hh5of_SU3IzHjTif1Fm0921e3

Thank you!

Danne

Good report except for one important mishap. A sample dng file. Needed.

fanfzero

On the latest build is the 10 bit raw mode loseless? I've recorded a 1:43 5k anamorphic clip and it weighted 4gb, so that made me doubt. Thanks for the huge upgrade on this camera!

Danne

All bits are lossless. 12 and 10 bits are on top of that lossy. You can compare 14bit to 10bit with hd 1080p mode. Simply record one minute of each setting and compare size.

ygadinthesix

Whoops! Sorry.

As per my discussion above https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iSdWd89Hh5of_SU3IzHjTif1Fm0921e3

That link should take you to some sample DNG files.

Danne

Yes, something looks very wrong. COuld you try another build which is not from me and see if it´s the same issue with that version?

DavidAcker

Hey guys, earlier today my EOS M finally arrived and I can't wait to get ML on it - unfortunally I am experiencing some issues.

First of all I am using a 98MB/s SD-card and I started out trying DannePhoto's build called "crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Jan18.EOSM202.zip", for some reason I had a minor delay/lag while scrolling the menu aswell as the recordings just cut after a second as soon as the RAW option was enabled. I've tried some other builds and they seem to work fine, however they don't seem to have the same options when it comes to RAW format. It's not really that I need the RAW specifically as my goal is to record videos for YouTube, but it would be nice to find something that gives the most amount of options.

Is there any logical solution to why my camera gets this lag and cuts recordings or should I just go with another build - and if so, are there any you could recommend?

Hopefully this makes some sense atleast, Im all new to shooting video. Thanks in advance! :)

Disease

Quote from: Stousen on November 26, 2019, 06:46:12 PM
+1

I am just trying to take a photo and its not working so... I dunno what you mean I dont know what I do or if I do it right.? thats why I am posting on this forum to ask.. Its not so complex .... Why be a baby about it...
When ML is installed the shutter release just doesnt work 60% of the time, in video mode or stills mode.. It is so unreliable that I had to uninstall ML...
There is no guide or manual so its really about trial and error, I have no idea how to get around the 30 minute video recording limit, or record higher resolutions than 1080p.. Or maybe even shoot a higher frame rate than 30fps... Nothing works its very buggy and frustrating and reliability is everything with photography or filmmaking if you missed that moment then you never getting it back.

Disease

Quote from: srsa on November 26, 2019, 08:25:54 PM
That's probably the "shutter bug". You can read about it here and also search in the print view of the current thread.

Bro this is literally thousands and thousands of posts of technical gibberish... Am I supposedly meant to read through it all to get some answer to why it basically makes the camera completely useless? I thought it was meant to be working on the EOS M.. Just a total mess. No guide or manual no information nothing works... I dunno why people like zeek go on about how great it is, its not. Its just a mess of experimental ideas that dont work. Massively disappointed and kinda feels like a waste of money this was the main reason I bought a EOS M. But nothing works.. :( Why can't anyone be bothered to make a proper manual or help page, we have to sift through pages and pages of posts that lead no where. If so many people love this software so much they certainly arent sharing how to use it.

Disease

Quote from: masc on November 26, 2019, 06:20:20 PM
Here it is very reliable. I can record in 5K anamorphic mode all over the day without one single corrupted frame, without one single crash. Same for 45fps at a little less than 1080p. 2.5K at 48fps is not possible with EOS M (and will never be): card interface is way too slow - that is simple math.

What's the problem with shutter release? Absolutely don't know what you mean. I can take pictures at any time in picture mode and can record video at any time in video mode - without changing anything in settings.

For zoom mode in 1080p you have to press exactly one button after start.

Don't write ML is useless and unreliable if you don't know what you do, or if you don't know if you're doing it right.

what sd card you useing?

masc

Quote from: Disease on April 03, 2020, 12:14:46 PM
what sd card you useing?
I use the recommended SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95MB/s UHS-I.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Disease

I started using a manual lens and the shutter bug has ceased sorry for my moody post zzz
Seems it is much more buggy with the kit lens.
Now just looking at how to do all the cool stuff like over crank the fps, shoot in different resolutions and the like...
Thanks guys!

One question I do not have the option to shoot at a lower bitrate in the raw movie recording options, in a youtube video he shows to shoot at lower bitrates for more stable recording but I cannot see this it seems to be missing from my menu?

https://youtu.be/3vDwJBQeCdk?t=110

Wlad81

I wonder if Canon EOS M is better than EOS 100D in shooting non-crop video?
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

Tullen

EOS M Guide and FAQ

Hi everyone.

Since I am also in kind of lock down as many others I thought I would finally get around to play with the Eos M. I already have two Eos 50D but I never really took the time to learn how to us ML with them properly. I have had many thoughts on how to best structure all the information here on the forum to enable people to help where needed and understand the different features and for which cameras and how they work. However, I realized that the motivation was just not strong enough to convert the thoughts into action.

Now since I kind of have to learn everything from the start I thought I might as well try to make something useful of it to help others too, at least when it comes to the EOS M. So I am planing to make a beginner guide with a faq for the Eos M. I will simply start it as a seperate thread and hopefully it will be good enough so it can be refered to here when people ask recuring questions. Hopefully it will make it easier for people who just want to get up and running and maybe it will reduce the amount of repeating questions and answers (although I am aware that the developers do encourage people to reade the thread themselfs, at lest from page 71).

FIRST STEPS I WILL TAKE:
The first step is to make a list of things that should be included in this guide/faq as well as list of sources for relevant information. Feel free to share your thoughts on what should be included in these lists. I also plan to go through this forum thread from around page 70 and see what questions people have as well as common mistakes that are done.

Hope to have a first draft of the lists tonight or tomorrow, but feel free to come with suggestions already.

Danne

Cool. I'll help you out once you start.

Walter Schulz

Consider using ML's wiki. Linked in my signature. Some layout restrictions, though.
Maintaining forum posts as tutorials proved to be futile, IMO.

Danne

Both platforms should cover most needs?
Will have a look at ml wiki. Never use it myself.

Tullen

Since I dont think I will be able to maintain it continuously I think I will make it for the latest build (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Jan18.EOSM202). Then maybe if there will be a new build I will update it in half a year or so. Of course, if other people want to maintain it with updates, thats great. Obviosly the content can/will be added to the wiki where it fits. Will just start somewhere that makes sense to me and then we will see how it all fits together. It might have been better to continue on one of the efforts thats already been started, but I just have to start where my motivation lies, and then hopefully it will be incoperated wherever its useful.

Instead of having a static list that I update here in the forum every other day, I decided to make the lists in a drive document. Everyone should feel free to edit the document. But dont worry, I will post the first draft here for feedback once its reached a sufficient level.

Here is the link to the doc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G6qU_Tzm4LbkIqMdHFUnH6sOoCIXrH3EJQ1ccenarS4/edit?usp=sharing

Btw, is the build feature website (https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features) relevant for the latest build (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2020Jan18.EOSM202)?

Cheers, Tullen

Walter Schulz

Nope, covers Nightly builds in main build chain.

Tullen

Thanks, that what I thought.

So far I came up with these as relevant sources of information for the Eos M and ML:

Main Magic Lantern Eos M thread
MLV RAW ON EOS M facebook group
Wiki
Zeek youtube

Would you add any other? EOSHD? Reddit?

ilia3101

Danne

Yeah, pretty much all is covered from my dedicated download post and onwards.
Most presets should be pretty straight forward explaining but the again a lot of the stuff aren't. I'd suggest split the wiki in three sections.
1 - straight down to business. Explain fast acces to presets, x3 zoom etc.

2 - Section two a more detailed description of movie functions, buttons and so on.

3 - Third section. Trying to cover the more advanced settings as intervalometer, iso average and what not for the more hardcore ml user.

Maybe also add a section describing more robust presets vs the more expermental ones, potential bugs and so on.

Tullen

@Danne

Is the dedicated download post the one on page 71?

As for your suggestion, I will continue with the structure I started and then see that I have included the aspects you mention. I will surelly come back with more specific questions.