Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

There's a function in Mlv App which allows for adding additional dead pixels saved into a .bpm file. I don't have the time to explain further but take your issue to the Mlv App thread and you should be getting help.

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Mlv play stopped from going into black screen occasionally when previewing clips.
Needs some testing. The fix should apply to 100D as well but no time testing that one.
The fix starts while stopping mlv_play so first started clip might work or not but after that mlv_play should work fine.

berechiah

Thanks for the help
will look into it soon

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Mlv play
Testing changing aspect ratio while previewing anamorphic modes. Instead of a very anamorphic preview it will now show the correct ratio while previewing recorded files. Work in progress. Better metadata routines reading straight from rawc preferred.
Expect a bit of a lag and other expected behaviour.

Thanks to a1ex(or g3gg0) for the "fixme" line.

EDIT: Better detection in mlv_play. Uploaded new builds.

EDIT: Might have fixed the previewing issue when sometimes screen would get into black screen instead of serving a raw stream. Needs some testing. I also slimmed down on a few presets from the fast preset menu. Use SET for x3 cop modes instead.

bakersdozen

Correct ratio preview working well here. Well thought.
EOS M + 5D3

Danne

Yes, correct ratio working nicely now. Thanks for feedback.

Did some playing around with tmix averaging in Mlv App. Exported a 70 frame MLV into a singel tiff and worked some with the file in lightroom.

Comparison crop:

Before averaging:

After averaging:

Since doing averaging I expose measuring highlights, not ettr:

Colorful result and noise free shadows:

Recorded with frame burst set to 70 and the 5k anamorphic full sensor readout preset iso(200):
Also did some pixel picking in Mlv App since my eosm sensor inherits a cluster of dead pixels in the upper right corner.
I think I also added chroma smooth 3x3 but not needed really. But I liked it so used it.

Lens: Samyang 12mm at f4

garry23

@Danne

Can you also share your other settings, eg FPS, aperture and shutter speed etc

Danne

Updated. Settings at bottom of the post.

garry23

@Danne

Thanks.

BTW can you speak more to this

QuoteSince doing averaging I expose measuring highlights, not ettr:

Why not set exposure by ML's ETTR?

Danne

Look at the result.
Shadows are cleaned/averaged. This way I get tons of highlights to work with.

garry23

Maybe we are speaking across each other.

As a photographer, when I ETTR I am only interested in exposing for the highlights AND thus have shadow and mid SNR set to 0.

Hence, when I ETTR with these settings, I'm exposing for the highlights.

Danne

I mostly loook at the files and build from there. I'm a lousy "histogrammer"  :P.
I'm sure a little ettr on my my image would have helped even more. I plan on including the ettr module in eosm build when I get some time to use it...

bakersdozen

Quote from: Danne on January 11, 2020, 06:26:02 PM

Colorful result and noise free shadows:

Stunning work mate. I too am lazy in this regard, which is why I love your little tweaks for us [emoji1]
EOS M + 5D3

Danne

Thanks. Would be nice to hear about results and usage areas among users. Any missed links to other groups forums etc :)

Anaconda_

Hi all, I'm loving these new builds, and have been playing around with the 5k modes. It got me thinking...

Part of the charm of these cameras is the filmic look, and with he preview in 5k being what it is, you need to be more intentional with each shot. It's far from point and shoot. Again, lending its self to the idea of shooting with film. With that in mind, a pistol grip and a loupe, it's a very nice experience.

So my question is: to complete the illusion, is it possible to shoot the 5k modes, but instead of cropping the top and bottom, can I crop the sides to get a 4x3 image?

Danne

16:9 is there at least. Why 4:3? You can try set ratios to off and set 4:3 in raw video menu. Maybe it works at somewhat lower resolution.

Anaconda_

I'll give it a go. I thought 5k cropped the top and bottom to get more frames (longer shots). With 4x3 giving you more height, and less width, I could still get more frames than shooting 16x9, and not have to estimate my framing.

ngemu

Quote from: Anaconda_ on January 12, 2020, 01:24:17 PM
I'll give it a go. I thought 5k cropped the top and bottom to get more frames (longer shots). With 4x3 giving you more height, and less width, I could still get more frames than shooting 16x9, and not have to estimate my framing.

This is how ratios work (to my understanding). 5k max offers the biggest picture but unusable for the most part due to its cpu demand. By selecting the 2:35:1 ratio (on the outer menu), you get 4392x1870. It is more than just cutting the top and bottom of 5k max. It is quite a crop but offers decent shooting time from a couple seconds to minutes depending if you decide to lower the resolution a bit.

5k max and mcm rewire are similar in that they both allow you to record at the 'full picture' but the resoluton is significantly smaller and comes with drawbacks like more aliasing.

Please correct me if im worng, i do not know the right terminology.

dokipen

Hi all.

I am using the Jan 14th 2020 build. Its great apart from a couple of small issues I am having with not being able to use 25fps and seeing focus pixels in h264 footage.

I am able to reset the config and turn off raw video and get the right 25fps and shutter settings (with fine tuning and locking), but I see focus pixels in my h264 footage.

If I use the h264 8bt preset by tapping the screen, then it seems to remove the focus pixels issue but the fps jumps to 29.973 and the set 25fps settings doesn't seem to have any effect.

Does anyone have any advice here? Any register tweaking I could try?

Danne

You can use h264 recording at any crop rec preset by like you describe, staying in a crop rec preset and disabling raw video. This means you will also get the focus pixels. That is the reason that you can select h264 from the preset menu. This turns off crop rec and raw video and records just as the camera normally do. You can also push SET and you´ll get x3zoom.
The fps jump to 29 is normal on eosm. Once you push record it will jump back to the fps set under canon menu.

dokipen

Thanks for the help danne.

It does indeed jump to 25 when I hit record.

So is set 25fps part of the raw video or crop rec too? Is shutter fine tuning also limited/disabled in h264? I can only get 1/52 at the moment. No problem if thats the case, its close enough.

Cheers,
Dan

dokipen

Also, one more question if you don't mind.

Is it possible to add the bit rate options into these builds? I'm planning on doing some raw recording, but still need to do the odd h264 things here and there.

thanks
Dan

Danne

You can define back bitrate function in code and compile yourself. I am not using it so will not add it back. Sorry.

ZEEK

Quote from: dokipen on January 15, 2020, 11:53:20 AM
I'm planning on doing some raw recording, but still need to do the odd h264 things here and there.
I would just get an extra cheap SD Card 16GB/32GB for the h.264 stuff.
I don't get the pixel dots using the 8-bit preset. Like Danne said, I'd just turn off Raw Resolution.
EOS M

Danne

Actually you need to choose h264 8bit from the preset list since only turning off raw video will stiil keep modified regs from crop rec ;)