Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Run it without looping etc. Will it work with 10s interval. Please test more and I would really like a screen recording if possible.

Oh. You run rec key trigger. I hope you follow the advice in help text or else it won't work.

AF-OFF

did take a while, have only a bad screen recording, sorry for that.
I did reset the ML settings before starting screen recording

Looking in mlvapp on the clips - the first 5 are all round about 135 frames, the sixt is 500 frames, have to stop it. as You can maybe see on this screenrecording, I have set duration to one second and loop to 10. it did record more than one second, and only 5 clips out of 10, the sixt one would run until card full or battery drained.

so then now it works better then before (before the 24fps setting in canon menu previously)
but its not working for 10 clips, which would be necessary for timelapse
the counter (10-0) is counting on it self somehow, regardless if cam isn't recording, which I would expect, or if the cam is recording, which doesn't make sense

link
https://we.tl/t-kTuNgaHVdZ

edit
now testing the "recording delay" function with "run"

Danne

You are doing it wrong. Tve firat setting runs one frane at the time. The rec trigger needs additional settings enabled. Read help text.

AF-OFF

recording delay preset

did choose :
delay 5
recording 1
loop 10

this did work much better, it recorded 10 clips with 35-37 frames each
very nice!

I really don'T understand why there are two scripts. maybe I choosed the wrong one? maybe the intervalometer is for silent picture or burst, bracketing, sorry if I did missed this.

AF-OFF

recording delay function is to record separate x clips of x seconds each with a delay between them, is this right?
intervalometer function
used only with the new frameburst and iso average? (movie-preset-submenu)

Thanks

Danne

Not easy to find time to build scripts and also explain all functions but I will try here.

Intervalometer easy mode:
1 - activate tlapse lua script then enter intervalometer. Set your preferred interval(default is 10)
2 - select run halfshutter trigger. A one chunk mlv file will be created containing x amount of dng frames
Done!

Averaging idea:
If you want to create a sequence of frames separated into individual mlv file instead select run rec key trigger. But see to it that you select a setting from either frame burst or iso average first. This will produce mlv files suitable for averaging in Mlv App.

I recently added two personal presets in the intervalometer script called rec delay + 3 frames and rec delay + 2 frames. Just skip those.

Advanced stuff:
rec delay - simply will delay the start of the selected set up. You can set it to start like after an hour or more if you like.
recording time - a global setting which will tell how long you want your set up to run. You can set it to run your script for 2 hours or so. If not set your script set up will be active until your battery drains.
loop this - If you created a workflow that you know works and included recording time you can here restart the exact set up x amount of times by selecting loop this. For instance. You want the camera to start recording with a rec delay of one hour nad you want the recording time to run for 2 hours and then end. If loop this is set it restarts the procedure, 1 hour delay, two hours recording time etc...

AF-OFF

Thanks Danne for the little explanation. Got it.
Will do more testing.
What is the explanation of the "recording delay" function? (intervalometer function and recording delay function)

Danne

It should be selfexplanatory by now. What is it you don't understand about it? Help text says it all I think.

2blackbar

Danne is it possible to bring back old 10 bit mode from june builds , there was one menu with 10bit nd 12 bit that is current one, and there was other one that had  something like 8-11 bit ,  10 bit and 12 bits which had better 10 biut mode without color loss/bading in darkest areas , in current 10 bit mode highest resolutions im getting a bit of green, heres example:

There was no banding in 10 bit mode from july builds , i recorded mostly 10 bits back then and i had banding only in 8 bits.
Thhats like the main reason i stay away from current 10 bit mode.
---
Strangely i tested now and 10 bit looks kinda ok, Ill retest in daylight like original video this image is from cause i dont see it, maybe it was fixed somehow in recent builds when i didnt used 10 bits...

Danne

Only artefacts in preview, not the actual recording.

LeandroFreitas

Danne here is the sample with the blackbar when using 2.5K 2.39.1 and 24fps override. The problem comes when using overide. Iam using our version from 07dec.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j8pOglqXF6yXTHjRa1TT_kdustKWFhFp

Danne

Quote from: LeandroFreitas on December 12, 2019, 07:32:22 AM
Danne here is the sample with the blackbar when using 2.5K 2.39.1 and 24fps override. The problem comes when using overide. Iam using our version from 07dec.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j8pOglqXF6yXTHjRa1TT_kdustKWFhFp
Don´t use fps override or go into fps_engio.c and modify code.

2blackbar

That 10 bit mode is working fine, i tested today, fps override screws up anamorphic mcm mode so sometimes its better not to use it, without it motion blur looks different.
I had black bar on side recently in 2.5k mode when skipped left or right (dont remember) too much from one side, changed it back and it was fixed.

berechiah

Hey guys
Just wondering if I can go past 3200 iso
There is a few occasions I need to go past and it says max iso reached

Why is this and can I change it

Danne

Turn off the iso buttons under customized buttons.

berechiah

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: berechiah on December 12, 2019, 08:54:51 PM
...Why is this and can I change it

No pun intended but I highly recommend to refrain from using ISO 3200 or higher on the M even w fast primes and enough light.

Maxing out @ ISO 3200 is like saving you from having a horrible nightmare with pesky colorful dots dancing around on your shots.

Thanks, @Danne for this wonderful safety limitation w the ISO climb. They do make our cams feel much more fluid and dandy!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

2blackbar

Out of curiosity i did comparison test between different modes , and i did not extect such a big difference, 2.5K mode wins

Im surprised how little 5k anamorphic gained compared to mcm 1080 upscaled to match the size.
Ill try it again but with smaller letters
Just dont confuse this, regular mcm rewire is upscaled thats why its not that sharp.In original size it looks better.

Danne

And what about aliasing comparison? That's worse than anything else  :P

masc

@2blackbar: was expected... 2.5K: we use all pixels (1x1), 5K anamorphic: we use every 3rd pixel (1x3), 1080p rewire: we use every 9th pixel (3x3). But if you compare a similar field of view, the result will be different.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

This is comparison when downscaling 2.5k and anamorphic 5k to 1080p
There is big advantage when scaling from 2.5k but scaling from anamorphic is not going to make big difference

Its interesting, i thought anamorphic gives much more resolution, at least perceived resolution but looks like it doesnt but when compressed and all, its better to save 1080 in 4k resolution to preserve all detail thats lost during compression.
Aliasing doesnt bother me much, we cant do much about it.
And yes i did focus precisely and did not change anything between takes, png frames to gif.

1080mcm upscaled to 5k , here you can see more difference, text is probably too big already, ill test on smaller one thats barely readable on anamorphic.

IDA_ML

Quote from: 2blackbar on December 19, 2019, 07:58:25 PM
Im surprised how little 5k anamorphic gained compared to mcm 1080 upscaled to match the size.
Ill try it again but with smaller letters

And make sure you focus precisely !!!

Danne

Quote from: 2blackbar on December 19, 2019, 08:27:58 PM
its better to save 1080 in 4k resolution to preserve all detail thats lost during compression.
Not sure what you are saying. Are you upscaling mv1080p mcm rewire to 4k and compare it with anamorphic? I haven´t seen one comparison that holds up agains anamorphic. Yes, anamorphic is a bit softer but you gain aliasing free footage. mv1080p is sharpness bogus in comparison.
2.5k 1x1 wins hands down, but I think anamorphic is the perfect compromise. Remarkable that it´s even achievable. Thanks to a1ex...

EDIT: Looking at your posted images it´s clear that aliasing kills the mv1080p completely. I mean you can upscale both but only ana holds up imo. It´s even sharper and you can even see the polish text much better than mv1080p.
Straszne ;)

2blackbar

Yes  Youre correct and no aliasing is the main advantage in anamorphic mode.
Yes anamorphic is nice but i would probably not keep it in original resolution, maybe in 2k, it has more details than mcm thanks to no skipping in 1x3 , not three times as much but a bit more.
I wanted to finally see how much resolution anamorphic gains in its 1x3 mode when its practically 1x1 readout and binning.
But i do bear in mind that aliasing creates fake resolution that might appear sharper but its just harsh aliasing edges creating fake contrast.
What i mean by saving 1080p is that when i compress it i tend to lose some detail compared to original tiff or png exported frames, when i export in 2k ( upscale 1080)then details has higher chance of surviving in higher resolution.

Danne

Quote from: 2blackbar on December 19, 2019, 09:04:46 PM
Yes  Youre correct and no aliasing is the main advantage in anamorphic mode.
Yes anamorphic is nice but i would probably not keep it in original resolution, maybe in 2k, it has more details than mcm thanks to no skipping in 1x3 , not three times as much but a bit more.
I wanted to finally see how much resolution anamorphic gains in its 1x3 mode when its practically 1x1 readout and binning.
But i do bear in mind that aliasing creates fake resolution that might appear sharper but its just harsh aliasing edges creating fake contrast.
Yes, it´s a compromise really. But I think it works both for blow up like 4.5k or scaled down too. Softness creates cinematic feel almost. But it´s very much personal taste.