Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Enough to install a fresh version, tap display, select 5k anamorphic rewired, start to record.
You need a good sd card, external monitor is a nono, and 24fps recommended. You do not mention your set up so hard to tell what parameter might be wrong at your end.
INFO button is not at all needed imo. Leave preview setup it as is(framing). While recording push halfshutter to get into realtime liveview, release button to get back into framing again.

2blackbar

Anamorphic 4k 5k isless demanding than 2.5k, did anyone recorded 1 minute of 2.5k in 2520x1416? What card if Yes.

LittleBig M

Quote from: 2blackbar on November 27, 2019, 10:48:35 PM
Anamorphic 4k 5k isless demanding than 2.5k, did anyone recorded 1 minute of 2.5k in 2520x1416? What card if Yes.
2blackbar
I try multiple cards  all sandisc extreme pro  64g and 128g  on 2.5k in 2520x1416 all just seconds
2192x1234 1min 10sec 1710frames

keel

Anyone experience footage that is too dark, pitch black pretty much, when imported into mlvproducer?

I filmed some stuff to test mcmrewire, and the anamorphic settings,
imported the footage and it was black.
Confused, I decided to boost the exposure and gamma to max.
Saw my footage.

Felt like, I read about this a while back

mix_vfx

Quote from: keel on November 28, 2019, 04:46:14 AM
Anyone experience footage is way too dark, pitch black pretty much, when imported into mlvproducer?

Try using MLVApp, available for Windows and MacOS as well, and very well supported, plus latest just came out. Never tried MLVProducer, but last update is from 5/2019.

lightspeed

Can someone confirm the crop in 2.5k

is it 2.9 x 1.6? or just a 2.9 crop.

I have a 12.5 mm but it looks wider then a 58 to me.

LittleBig M

Quote from: lightspeed on November 29, 2019, 12:38:06 PM
Can someone confirm the crop in 2.5k

is it 2.9 x 1.6? or just a 2.9 crop.

I have a 12.5 mm but it looks wider then a 58 to me.
Hi lightspeed
My video comparing 12mm on 2,5k mode(2520x1416 and 2256x1270) and 50mm on 1080 mode, both lenses with and without focal reducer.

https://youtu.be/xTaXc64_zLc

lightspeed

So it's wider then the 50 mm. So you don't add the 1.6 in crop mode?

Panz

With the latest versions of danne's ml for eos-m, I can't find how to switch off modules.

I have 2 sandisk cards and 1 sony. The sony doesn't work with sd hack, it's speed is cut down by half(40mb/s to 20mb/s).
40mb is okay for 1080p rewired though.

Did i miss something? Is the toggle removed and is it easy to add it back again?

berechiah

Hey guys need a little help

I am using my eos m and I cant figure out
How do I change the bit rate to 12bit lossless and 10bit lossless

I dont seem to be able to find it anymore

Danne

It is named bitdepth and should be under your nose in your Movie menu.

ctfire

hi everyone, there is a question , is it possible to make  a 60 fps  raw preset even if it will be 720p , but without  framedrops?

Danne

I commented out the mv720p preset from the list in crop_rec.c You can start with enabling that and then start reducing height and increase fps from where its at now. Think it's 50fps.

Stousen

Quote from: 2blackbar on November 24, 2019, 10:28:42 PM
I found this works great for cctv lens and mcm rewire crop without any vignetting from sides

case CROP_PRESET_mcm_mv1080_EOSM:
                cmos_new[5] = 0x20;
                cmos_new[7] = 0x800;
                if (x3crop == 0x1 || crop_patch)
                {
                    cmos_new[5] = 0x380;
                    cmos_new[7] = 0xaaa;
                }
                if (ratios == 0x0 && (x3crop == 0x1 || crop_patch))
                {
                    cmos_new[5] = 0x380;
                    cmos_new[7] = 0xaaa;
                }
                break;

I also have this that works fine for 16:9 1920x1080p resolution(dialed down from 2520x1418) in 2.5k mode 
But... I would like to also center image in 2520x1418 but i only see this for 2.5k mode and cmos settings that i centered while being in dialed down 1920x1080 resolution, its still not centered in 2520x1418:
            case CROP_PRESET_2K_EOSM:
      cmos_new[5] = 0x2c0;             /* vertical (first|last) */
              cmos_new[7] = 0x6a9;    /* pink highlights without this */
                break;

What should i add if i want to have different centering after i dial down resolution to 16:9 -1920x1080 and different when i use 16:9 2520x1418 ?
I also noticed that after recording mlv it goes back to liveview after slight pause and then framing is wrong , i have to enter playback mode, then press exit in corner, when it comes back to liveview then framing is correct, so after recording there is something thats changing CMOS value again messing up framing.
I also discovered that in 2.5k mode you can actually press small triangle arrows to move your framing around like during zoom, but i tried to get it centered when white zoom box is at the center.

Did you manage to center the view?:)
I would like to do the same in the mkiii since its sometimes hard to know what i am focusing on.

Cheers
S

2blackbar

Yes i did, works with my cctv lenses thare are for 1/2'' sensors, they fit precisely 1920x1080 framing in 2.5k mode so im happy, i dont get continuous but im glad it works.
You have to modify CMOS 5 and CMOS7 , sometimes only 7.

Anaconda_

When shooting in the 5k modes, is it possible to change which part of the frame the real-time preview shows? For example, if I know I want someone framed on the left, I'd like to see the left side of my frame to keep focus etc. But then the next shot might need them on the right so I'd like to change that.

Of course, I can check my shot in the framing view, but if they're moving around or it's a walking shot, the framing will change during the actual recording. If I can see the edge of my frame, then at least I know I'm keeping them in the shot the whole time haha.

2blackbar

Its what framing preview is for.
If You want  digital panning to keep subject in frame , its not currently possible to do pixel precise digital panning, CMOS values lets us only use the ones that work for magnifier/ loupe.It would stutter, its like moving every 5 pixels  not every 1 pixel.Changing crop area on frame by frame basis is possible but that would not look good actually because difference between frames would be too big.
Unless someone will discover a logical map of addresses to modify CMOS values so we could pan with pixel precision on 5184x3456 sensor.

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- movie preset intervalometer

As the name suggests this lua script is done with timelapse, frame burst or iso average in mind. Making good use of the powerful lua api together with rec trigger mode from a1ex it´s possible to use any crop_rec movie preset to record timelapse sequenses.
Workflow:
1 - set your interval in seconds
2 - select halfshutter trigger
This will enable all that is needed for recording single frames into a mlv wrapper. Push REC to stop the intervalometer

The other function called rec key trigger is nice to use together with frame burst or the iso average function. Instead of one big MLV file you´ll get single MLV files that are suitable for averaging in Mlv App.

Full lua script code:
-- movie preset intervalometer

--[[
Dedicated movie preset intervalometer
--]]

console.hide()
  menu.close()

if camera.model_short ~= "EOSM" then
   display.notify_box("Only eosm for now")
   return
end

a = 1

function main()
  console.hide()
  menu.close()
-- warning
if camera.mode ~= MODE.MOVIE then
  display.notify_box("enable MOVIE mode")
  return 
end
  menu.set("raw video", "Pre-record", "1 frame")
  menu.set("raw video", "Rec trigger", "Half-shutter: pre only")
  menu.set("presets", "frame burst", "OFF")
  menu.set("presets", "iso average", "OFF")
  display.notify_box("push rec to disable")
  display.notify_box("push rec to disable")
  msleep(2000)
  key.press(KEY.REC)
  msleep(1000)
  while a == 1 do
      key.press(KEY.HALFSHUTTER)
      key.press(KEY.UNPRESS_HALFSHUTTER)
    while a ~= mymenu.submenu["interval in seconds"].value do
      msleep(1000)
      if movie.recording == false then
      a = 1
      menu.set("raw video", "Rec trigger", "OFF")
      return
      end
      a = a + 1
    end
  a = 1
  end
end

function main2()
  console.hide()
  menu.close()
-- warning
if camera.mode ~= MODE.MOVIE then
  display.notify_box("enable MOVIE mode")
  return 
end
  display.notify_box("push display to disable")
  display.notify_box("push display to disable")
  msleep(2000)
  while a == 1 do
      key.press(KEY.REC)
    while a ~= mymenu.submenu["interval in seconds"].value do
      msleep(1000)
      if menu.visible then
      a = 1
      return
      end
      a = a + 1
    end
  a = 1
  end
end

mymenu = menu.new
{
    parent = "Movie",
    name = "intervalometer",
    help = "Movie preset intervalometer",
    submenu =
    {
        {
            name = "interval in seconds",
            min = 0,
            max = 999,
    value = 10,
            unit = UNIT.DEC,
            update = function(this) mymenu.value = this.value end,
    help = "default is 10 seconds",
        },
        {
            name = "halfshutter trigger",
    select = function(this) task.create(main) end,
    help = "records single frames in a MLV chunk. Also enables REC trigger mode",
        },
        {
            name = "rec key trigger",
    select = function(this) task.create(main2) end,
    help = "use with frame burst or iso average",
        },

},

}

Thanks to dmilligan, a1ex, and others contributing with good lua examples. Very powerful as always.

yokashin

I was waiting for this option :)
Thank you all very much!

Quote from: yokashin on September 13, 2019, 09:37:38 PM
Would there be a chance to create a timelapse setting for 1 fps or 2 fps?
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

Danne

Cool. How are you going to use it? Curious.

bakersdozen

Wow, Danne awesome additions here. Had a very quick play and seems to all be working here. This is going to eliminate having to use fps override for timelapses and having to deal with the overexposure it causes. Winner.

And wow, just wow, to now having the opportunity to record averaged tiff sequences timelapse style.

Oh yeah and in 5k full res to boot.

I can't wait to get some time and daylight to play with this.
EOS M + 5D3

Danne

Yup. Agree @bakersdozen. Pretty much sums up my thoughts and uses around this addition :).

IDA_ML

Quote from: bakersdozen on December 04, 2019, 11:50:25 AM
This is going to eliminate having to use fps override for timelapses and having to deal with the overexposure it causes. Winner.

I am not sure if using the intervalometer is the best option for timelapses.  In the silent module of the 100D, intervalometer causes quite a sustantial dead time from frame to frame which results in a choppy timelapse video.  On the other hand, if you shoot timelapses in the movie mode using fps override, dead time is close to 0 and this produces very smooth and cinematic timelapses.  The only downside of this mode is the very slow refresh rate of the screen at low fps (0,4 to 4 fps) which makes focusing a pain.  Please compare both modes and if you succeed, I would be curious to see the results. 

anykill

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202