Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2blackbar

5k anamorphic rewired 10 bit , then i set cmos 7 - 0xf27 and its centered

Janke

Hi friends - long time, no chat!  I sold my two EOS M quite some time ago (bought M3 and M50), but missed ML so much that I bought a used one in perfect condition. Managed to load the 2.0.2 version in a jiffy - looks great!

Since I now have a fisheye lens (the surprisingly good-value-for-money 7artisans 7.5mm/2.8), I of course tested the "defisheye" feature, and found it perfect for this lens! I can get perfectly straight lines! I notice that the live view is rough, but then after the shot, ML re-scans it very neatly.

Hovewer, I can't find a way to store the de-fisheyed photo to the SD card... Is it impossible, or am I so dumb that I can't figure out how to do it?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong topic, in that case please advice me, thanks!  :o

EDIT - Looks like it's not possible, found this just by chance browsing:

Features that are NOT possible - please don't request them

Things that can be done in post. - Why spending development time on things like in-camera HDR? Magic Lantern is not a replacement for Photoshop ;)

Previewing is OK (e.g. HDR preview, anamorphic preview, fisheye correction preview).

Janke

Shot a quick test today with my old Canon TV-zoom 7.5-97.5mm/F1.4 - the reason I love the ML 3x video zoom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNwHllhAnhM

(The video is unprocessed, needs a bit of sharpening to look good...)

I think my combination of this particular lens and the EOS M might well be the only one in the world - I had to do a bit of lathe work to get a C-mount on the lens!  :D

Janke

Exactly!

Maybe I'm not the only one using it on an EOS M, then? :o
OTOH, the original lens had zoom and aperture motors which I removed, and a bayonet lens mount, which I modified to a c-mount (I have a metal workshop) - long before I got any EOS.

I also have a Canon TV zoom 12.5-75mm/F1.8 - much better quality, and with original C-mount - this one: https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/302802742279_/Canon-TV-Zoom-Lens-J6x12-118-125-75mm-C.jpg

Here's a video example shot with that lens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rq4hQGtnrE

I started DSLR phtography with the 550D, back in 2010, now I have an M1, M3 and M50...

I needed the 550D as a second camera when shooting a documentary for YLE, the Finnish Broadcasting Co. The other camera was a HV30! A few years later, I shot another documentary with my two original M1s, plus the HV30.
It's nteresting that these consumer-grade cameras are good enough even for national broadcasting (but I didn't use these video zooms, they certainly are not good enough for that - but they sure are nice to play with... )

cmh

A Betacam era lense, damn. They both seems to be "parfocal like". Great stuff.

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Better center preview in anamorphic rewired mode(thanks 2blackbar)

Regarding mcm rewired x3zoom and 3k mode I didn´t implement the changes. Couldn´t see the benefit in x3zoom. In 3k mode it´s already better centred than the what´s suggested.

Janke

Quote from: cmh on November 15, 2019, 11:34:46 PM
A Betacam era lense, damn. They both seems to be "parfocal like". Great stuff.

Indeed, those lenses are from the 1980s!  And they do stay in focus during zooming. However, they are inteded only for PAL or NTSC resolution (no more than 720/756 x 486/576), so they don't look too good in full-HD. But a little sharpening in post will do wonders... ;)

masc

Quote from: Danne on November 16, 2019, 09:57:54 AM
New build:
Thanks! Centering is great now!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ZEEK

EOS M

petelo

Quote from: Danne on November 16, 2019, 09:57:54 AM
New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Regarding mcm rewired x3zoom and 3k mode I didn´t implement the changes. Couldn´t see the benefit in x3zoom. In 3k mode it´s already better centred than the what´s suggested.

Hello Danne, on old version of Magic Lantern it was possible to access ISO 160, 320, 640, 1280 ... Is it possible with this one because I have not succeed to do ? Thanks a lot for all improvment you have all done to magic lantern on eso M.

cmh

Go into the "Movie" menu, scroll down to "customized buttons", select "gain": select OFF 

Janke

SHORT MUSIC VIDEO

I actually had a chance to use that monster Canon TV Zoom (7.5 to 97.5 mm) yesterday - here's a little snippet of a concert recording I made with all my three EOS cameras - ML is the one with the zoom, used to shoot the singers. The M3 (behind the piano) apparently sharpens the video very strongly, and has most moiré of the three cameras...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fRATpUpIt8

In order to get decent sharpness from the zoom, I had to stop down to at least F4 or 5.6!

BTW, I used a simple Zoom H1 for sound recording - not connected to the venue's sound system, hence the rather "thin" vocals...

Wushuliu

Quote from: ZEEK on October 25, 2019, 10:45:56 PM
@Danne
With ratio set to OFF in 5K Rewired @1736x2178 I can get 23.97fps using fps override, the only issue though is that it freezes in the live view.  ::) :'(

And you also experience dropped frames with an external monitor using 5k, correct?

ZEEK

EOS M

2blackbar

Ive got CCTV lens for 1/2'' sensor and Danne is right, current crop mode centering is spot on.I also found that 1/2'' sensor format is perfect for M's crop mode with no vignetting.
Thats what i was hopi ngfor from my measurements and im glad that math works.I can also get it to work without vignette  in 3K mode + anamorphic mode when i zoom in a bit.
4-12mm Tamron.It is a bit fisheye tho but insanely wide.
----
Ok i reshot some tests in mcm rewireset button crop and screwed in lens some more, it looks like settings i found work tiny bit better after all but id prefere if someone else would post comparison with images on CCTV / C mount lenses with M:

Frame with more vignetting is current setting, the one with less vignetting is CMOS 5 - 0x400
I flipped the frame cause i compared just vignetting visually, originally current offset is shifted towards left and it vignettes on left side.
IMO it would vignette even in cinemascope quite significantly, when reduced like with second frame then it would be acceptable.
Yes this vignette is not that visible when focusing on infinity but its still visible in lowlight situations.
3K mode is centered nicely.You can film after zooming in, when you zoom in then circle of confusion gets bigger than on wide end.
What kind of anamorphic mode is it when you set CMOS5 to 0x400 ? Its zoomed in more than usual anamorphic and resolution stays the same, ah i think its cropped mode with ugly res
I found that in anamorphic 5k mode CMOS5 - 0x60 is almost perfect in center

2blackbar

I sat with camera and went through all numbers from 0 till i found perfect centering, heres what i found for 2.5k mode, centering values for 16:9 and 2.39:1 are fifferent.
Heres current centering and new values for 16:9 , resolution 2192x1234

Heres current centering and new values for cinemascope 2.39:1, resolution 2520x1418

I zoomed out to get vignetting visible and determine center of the lens easier, now you can just zoom in and get rid of vignetting perfectly.
Addresses are :

For 16:9:
CMOS5 - 0x2c0
CMOS7 - 0x6aa

For cinemascope :
CMOS5 - 0x2c0
CMOS7 - 0x68b

I will try to find more for oher modes when i have actual lens.
From what i see mcm rewire in 16:9 is not centerd, its shifted down a bit.Ill try to work on that.
--
So, i took RAW pic of full sensor and COC( circle of confusion) is still not centered, i dont know but it might be how canon placed mount in front of the sensor, but to be sure i would have to get another c mount lens and compare.

From wht i see after changing values of CMOS7 , it follows the same rule, full image, then it shifts it while revealing white overlay image, then black image then starts to shift actual sensor image with larger values and so on.So IMO it is possible to figure that patter out and make it into the menu so users could shift crop by themselves a bit easier.

---
OK, i centered 16:9 mcm rewire 1080p( not working with fullsensor because when image is shifted for 16:9 then it reveals white border on bottom in fullsenor read)

New address is CMOS7 - 0x802
--
OK i tried to get that centered in fullsensor ratio but theres white bar, i thought i had it but i still dont
So i have to find a way to check if eos mount is centered with sensor or my actual c mount lens is somehow shifted physically ( i doubt that a lot because when i screwin my lens then vCOC stays in teh same place, if lens would be shifted even a bit then it would hover up/down/left/righ in quite visible manner ) so i put my bet on canon mount not being exactly centered with sensor placement in body on this model.

Im still glad anyway that there is a way to center all modes but fullsensor read when your lens has vignetting.

About consistency of useful image appearing when adjusting CMOS7 values i noticed this :
-  When you start from 0x800 and go down 32 steps to 0x7e0 then 32 to 07c1 etc then you will get good image . So there is some pattern to it that could be made into ML menu function to easily adjust framing.Hitting CMOS values blindly is definitely more time consuming.
---
Ok i did test with other lens that vignettes and conclusion is the same - canon's mount is off center and COC appears too low on fullframe photos, we can center it in 16:9 with CMOS7 addres 802 (current one is 800) and fix other aspect ratios so theres almost perfect centering.
I suspect there are some lenses that are really offcenter somehow but its 2 lenses already that show the same result.
I think its just how this camera was designed.I might try if 5DII was offcenter as well.

Danne

Thanks for investigating digging out info. Note also that I often refine by modifying skip offsets(skip_left, skip_right, skip_up, skip_down). Will interfere on raw buffer.
Anyway. Will check your findings later on.

2blackbar

Sure, i hope You dont mind me editing and posting all images and info, i searched on forums for some CMOS[7] addresses investigation but found none so i prefere to leave them here not only on my piece of paper , maybe others will join, it is not that hard but it would go faster with more people.
Yeah i noticed skipping and tried that out in advanced menu, i also read alex's explanation about crop mode being zoom mode that lets us use bigger resolutions and what we see is what canon produces  so we cant get super pixel precise with centering.

petelo

Quote from: cmh on November 17, 2019, 11:47:23 AM
Go into the "Movie" menu, scroll down to "customized buttons", select "gain": select OFF

Thank you very much cmh, it works. It is bad that it is not possible to obtain these ISO value (160, 320, ...) directly with the gain selected to ON using the up and down buton but only 100, 200, 400 ....

Have a nice day.

2blackbar

I was playing with 2.5k and comparing with mcm 1080 crop mode... im wondering whats the advantage of crop mode in mcm rewire ? What i mean is that i can set  1920x1080 , 16:9 in 2.5k mode and i have basically similar crop, just slightly wider than crop mode from mcm rewire(1920 vs 1800), so is there any advantage if i still upscale 1800x1012 to 1920x1080 anyway and i basically lose FOV now that i know that true 1920x1080 mode exists ? I would prefere to use that 1920x1080 mode from 2.5k using set button than 1800 crop mode from rewire , because i have full HD , wider FOV and no aliasing + it sperfect for CCTV lenses for 1/2'' sensors it fills the frame almost up to every pixel without vignette in 1920x1080.
Main difference is preview, in 2.5k set to 1920x1080 its only framing mode, but maybe it could be worked out because its kinda identical to crop mode from mcm rewire which works in realtime preview.IT would be nice to use 1920x1080 2.5k mode but with realtime preview from crop mcm 1080.

Danne

There´s no advantage imagewise other than greater resolution in 2.5k but as you point out you loose real time preview.
Question is why you want to enter 2.5k preset with the SET button? You only need this 1920x1080 preset with your cctv lens so why not just use the 2.5k preset set to 1920x1080? It´s not like you are going back to 3x3 mv1080p mode is it?
Maybe you could build a dedicated cctv preset reachable from the drop down list?
You could use the SET button going from mcm rewire into x5 zoom(2.5k) but it will require some workarounds leaving underlying movie crop mode and then enable next preset(x5 zoom(2.5k). I don´t see why it´s useful to most users but if you want to personalize your own build you have to tweak certain parts in code. Once you settled how you want to do I could help you out.

2blackbar

Im more after 1920x1080 than cctv or 16mm film mode, now that i know i can get wider FOV than 1080 mcm crop in 16:9 i will use it instead of mcm crop from now on, FOV and resolution matters IMO.
Its jus a coincidence that it fits that lens, i suspected it would cause i measured sensor sizes and footage from gh panasonic that have crop mode as well. its quite similar in size to canon m.
ID like to film in actual full HD resolution with push of set button which currently goes to 1800x1012 mode that i have to upscale in mlvapp.
I dont know if users would want cctv mode or other modes but so far im only one tinkering with crop mode for cctv lenses, my other lens for 16mm film krasogorsk 3 camera is on its way and il lprobably adjust cmos addresses for that if there woul be need.I dont have big collection of cctv lenses but i did look for ways to compile on windows but then got busy with other things.Yeah im planning to do personalised builds cause i like to tinker with settings.Your suggestion to expand jiphops list is interesting.
So there is no way to go to 1920x1080 instead of 1800x1012 in mcm 1080 crop mode ?
Or when recording 2.5k in 1920x1080 just use realtime preview from mcm 1080 crop or at least unlock it as option(still use framing as default), now realtime prev is locked in 2.5k.

Danne

Quote from: 2blackbar on November 21, 2019, 06:01:45 AM
So there is no way to go to 1920x1080 instead of 1800x1012 in mcm 1080 crop mode ?
Or when recording 2.5k in 1920x1080 just use realtime preview from mcm 1080 crop or at least unlock it as option(still use framing as default), now realtime prev is locked in 2.5k.
Not in movie crop mode. Not working the same as x5 zoom. A few attempts been made to achieve full liveview resolution in real time. All have failed.
You can use real time but it will be cropped in x5 zoom(disable preview auto stuff in raw video section.

ngemu

Quote from: Danne on November 21, 2019, 06:16:15 AM
Not in movie crop mode. Not working the same as x5 zoom. A few attempts been made to achieve full liveview resolution in real time. All have failed.
You can use real time but it will be cropped in x5 zoom(disable preview auto stuff in raw video section.

Hi Danne. In 5k mode, the live preview is squeeze in so everything appears very skinny and tall. Is there anyway to unsqueeze this image? I dont mind if the live preview is cropped. Thanks!