Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: Ilia3101 on October 25, 2019, 07:50:22 PM
Would it be it possible to get a 5.2K or 5.1K anamorphic mode? I understand this would require some vertical crop, could it be done and still have a decent aspect ratio? @Danne
Yes, there is also a full sensor anamorphic preset, but only at 18fps (if I remember right). You won't get more data on the card in time. That is also why the 23.98fps anamorphic presets don't use full sensor width: too much data, what ends in corrupted frames.

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on October 25, 2019, 08:36:15 PM
Yes, there is also a full sensor anamorphic preset, but only at 18fps (if I remember right). You won't get more data on the card in time. That is also why the 23.98fps anamorphic presets don't use full sensor width: too much data, what ends in corrupted frames.

Yay! 18FPS should be fine for shots I want to use it for. It limited to 10 bit? I would like to use 12 bit if possible. And is it compressed? (I ordered an EOSM)

Also what is the widest crop mode resolution? Can it get 2880x1080 or more? I know it can do 2520x1400, so maybe it can do something like 2880x1200?

masc

So we can already say "welcome to the M gang"?
You can choose any bitdepth and it is compressed, but the internal memory is way smaller than in 5D2. So it stops very soon or produces corrupted pink frames when you record too much data. For maximum cropmode resolution I am not sure...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on October 25, 2019, 09:03:32 PM
So we can already say "welcome to the M gang"?
So excited to be joining the M gang. (once it arrives in the mail)

Quote from: masc on October 25, 2019, 09:03:32 PM
You can choose any bitdepth and it is compressed, but the internal memory is way smaller than in 5D2. So it stops very soon or produces corrupted pink frames when you record too much data. For maximum cropmode resolution I am not sure...

Glad you can choose bitdepth (From a recent zeek video I got the impression that it only lets you use 10 bit). And glad that it has compression. I just about the crop resolution question as I seem to remember seeing a video on youtube at 3000x1200 or something like that (could be a memory issue in my head).

Also how long does 4.5k normally record for? I'll try not to ask any more questions until I get it (too excitinnnh).

Danne

Hehe, welcome aboard Ilia3101.
Full sensor is 14fps 10bit. 12fps when 12bit. But enable set25fps and it boosts fps to 16 or 18 can't remember atm. It will then be doing 2.39:1 though.
All modes are continuous when selected from tap display list. There are plenty presets to play around with so feel free to test and ask more once your eosm baby arrives :).

DeafEyeJedi

Hell yeah baby @Ilia3101 welcome to the club!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ZEEK

Congrats Ilia on the purchase!  8)
Thanks to Danne & the ML Team, 5K rewired is awesome! 10-bit is the best if you want continuous recording using that mode with Ratio "on" @1464x1836, 23.972fps [2.39:1 or other] or ratio off @1736x2178, 18fps, 2.39:1 or other]. You can select 14 bit but you won't get as much recording time unless you dial the resolution back. Its also nice to have a full frame dslr and mirroless camera, good combo! I know MSAC also has these two which is cool!

@Danne
With ratio set to OFF in 5K Rewired @1736x2178 I can get 23.97fps using fps override, the only issue though is that it freezes in the live view.  ::) :'(
EOS M

ilia3101

Thanks every1!

EOS M club is very nice.

Quote from: Danne on October 25, 2019, 10:15:19 PM
All modes are continuous when selected from tap display list.

Now this is impressive! Very nice to the users.

Quote from: ZEEK on October 25, 2019, 10:45:56 PM
Congrats Ilia on the purchase!  8)
Thanks to Danne & the ML Team, 5K rewired is awesome! 10-bit is the best if you want continuous recording using that mode with Ratio "on" @1464x1836, 23.972fps [2.39:1 or other] or ratio off @1736x2178, 18fps, 2.39:1 or other]. You can select 14 bit but you won't get as much recording time unless you dial the resolution back. Its also nice to have a full frame dslr and mirroless camera, good combo! I know MSAC also has these two which is cool!

Oh yeah me and masc Have same cameras now :D 10 bit is great for continuous, but I don't shoot that kind of stuff really. I prefer 12 bit, I found 10 bit very often has shadow artifacts unless you expose perfectly. And I never really use 14 bit, 12 bit looks identical to me.

Quote from: ZEEK on October 25, 2019, 10:45:56 PM
@Danne
With ratio set to OFF in 5K Rewired @1736x2178 I can get 23.97fps using fps override, the only issue though is that it freezes in the live view.  ::) :'(

Wow this is nice to know. I don't care about liveview anyway :D I have been shooting mostly with mostly broken liveview and no playback anyway.

bakersdozen

I'm confused by the 2 ratio options, ie. One in the video tab and then the one in the raw video menu. Is there anywhere I can read up on this to help explain how they relate to each other?

I'm super stoked with the 5k full sensor readout. Have been playing around with getting some super high res time-lapses with a low fps override and setting the resolution to off on the video tab, and pushing the resolution to max and 16:9 in the raw video menu. It yields a final resolution of 5208 X 2928 in MlvApp with all focus pixels dealt with automatically. Exporting to true 5k aspect ratio of 5120x2880 to ProRes looks superb or cinema dngs for further manual processing in Lightroom. Winner!!
EOS M + 5D3

Danne

Most presets will work with 12bit. I reduce resolution a bit when 12bit selected. Not sure exactly which presets though.
Mcm rewired works with full 14bit.

yokashin

Quote from: Danne on October 22, 2019, 07:18:58 AM
New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Changed iso updating on restart. Trying to fix occasional crashes

@2blackbar, @yokashin, please test and try to crash this version.

In the new version I am not able to repeat error 70. Below is a link to my logs from this error. I worked on version crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2019Oct02.EOSM202
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y_fUl_KKP_NQxPenTIBQQS2DOlFLoatA

Thank You and best regards

70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

2blackbar

I use 5k anamorphic with 12 bits, works as good as 10 on my M, i have a lot of receipts setup for 12 bits raw black levels so thats mostly the reason.
I dont use amamorphic fullsensor that much because fps loss is too much , i use other anamorphic 5k and use wider lens if crop is bothering me

2blackbar

IS this possible on M ? Its being done on 5DIII but can we edit ISO regs like he does it and get less noise in shadows from footage ?

Danne

Iso regs for eos m can be reached with adtg_gui.A few at least.
Personally. From my testing with the 5DIII the improvement is minor. Usually what happens when people test(including me) iso signal is pushed and camera still showing original iso. Sort of like exposing to the right ie. iso gain pushed to 400 and then lower gain back to iso 100. So this will of course reduce grain but you loose in dynamic range simply because you're still in iso 400 disguised to iso 100 display and gainwise.
Conclusion: The placebo is a fact.

Luther

Quote from: Danne on October 28, 2019, 06:33:47 AM
Iso regs for eos m can be reached with adtg_gui.A few at least.
Personally. From my testing with the 5DIII the improvement is minor. Usually what happens when people test(including me) iso signal is pushed and camera still showing original iso. Sort of like exposing to the right ie. iso gain pushed to 400 and then lower gain back to iso 100. So this will of course reduce grain but you loose in dynamic range simply because you're still in iso 400 disguised to iso 100 display and gainwise.
Conclusion: The placebo is a fact.

I still think it was a shame ADTG research stopped. It had potential, if we "brute force" all possible variables.

2blackbar

I cant turn off histogram and waveform when recording , i use global draw off but its switching to non framing mode with anamorphic and framing is wrong, is there some easy way to disable  histogram and waveform when it records( ideally disable everything but proper framing , i need it only before recording to check exposure.It would save some cpu power.

Danne

not sure how much cpu power it would save to disable all but framing but if you want to test you need to get your hands dirty and get into coding/testing. zebra.c and menu.c are at least two places histogram is mentioned. A simple bmp_off(); maybe works here but I do not know if it will turn off the actual histogram task or simply remove graphics only.

2blackbar

Am i wrong or was there an option somwhere in ML to turn on BEEP sound when you start and stop recording ? Where is it in M? Sometimes raw recording stops and id like to be notified about it with sound.

yokashin

Quote from: 2blackbar on October 29, 2019, 03:46:49 PM
Am i wrong or was there an option somwhere in ML to turn on BEEP sound when you start and stop recording ? Where is it in M? Sometimes raw recording stops and id like to be notified about it with sound.

In 70D we have a 70 error with a BEEP signal
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.msg214167;topicseen#msg214167
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

ngemu

Is there anyway to unsqueeze the liveview on 5k mode? I dont mind if the liveview is cropped, its just mighty difficult to film in liveview when the image is distorted.

masc

Quote from: ngemu on October 30, 2019, 06:01:19 AM
Is there anyway to unsqueeze the liveview on 5k mode? I dont mind if the liveview is cropped, its just mighty difficult to film in liveview when the image is distorted.
Yes, MLVApp does it out of the box.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

whitelight

Quote from: masc on October 30, 2019, 07:15:44 AM
Yes, MLVApp does it out of the box.
I think ngemu was referring to unsqueezing while filming

2blackbar

Tehre was some anamorphic mode called cinema 2.39.1, in scripts panel within ML menu maybe this will help

ilia3101

just a general question about the EOS M, i haven't installed ML on it yet (abou to).

Why is the ISO selection limited from 200 (cannot choose ISO 100), and all the ISOs have D+ written on them. Then when I take a picture shooting in raw or jpeg, it's all overexposed afterwards, compared to what liveview showed - this is so confusing. I am using manual mode and an adapted lens (no electronic lens info going to the camera)

This D+ thing is my main suspect, does anyone know how to remove it? I have completely reset the camera, it does not go awawy. sorry for filling the thread up with off topic crap.

EDIT: I have disabled highlight tone priority, it has extended the ISO range down to 100, but every photo still comes out over exposed. Only with auto ISO does it look right.

EDIT: Camera says exposure simulation is turned on, I guess it is off by about two stops. Is this a common issue?

EDIT: Also which build should I use @Danne