Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: turnlemons2lemonade on October 05, 2019, 06:44:19 PM
... I was just complaining about the long export times to ProRes.
Exporting 1:45 to ProRes 422 takes more or less around 3 hours.
Exporting 1:45 to DNG (with small adjustments done to the raw) takes 4 minutes.
You mean minutes or hours (1:45)? I am back home and render my holiday clips from the last 2 weeks with my old iMac 2011: 380GB MLVs, 430 clips, rendered with some basic adjustments in 9h30min to ProRes422. I still don't think that this is extremely long for that amount of data. I still more think something is wrong with your computer or configuration.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Yeah, sounds strange with that slow exports. Turnlemons2lemonade. If you want cpu action copy mlv app four times on desktop than start these four apps to export at the same time.

ZEEK

Quote from: critix on October 04, 2019, 06:17:32 PM
For those who have the latest firmware version on EOSM, 2.0.3, I put the latest version of Danne, modified for firmware 2.0.3:
https://bitbucket.org/ccritix/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2019Oct04.EOSM203.zip

LE: I restored the archive because something was missing ...
Tested. Firmware 2.0.3 with ML Build [Oct04, EOSM203].
- Freezes in LiveView when attempting to open ml menu
- No RAW Functionality, no resolution, aspect ratio, modes etc...
EOS M

ngemu

I'd like to share 2 clips using the newest build at 5k anamorphic rewired 10bit. Footage is not upscaled and is the highest I've ever recorded. If you can see from the footage, there seems to be a lag issue. I'm not sure if it has to do with my card but I do get relatively long recording times so I'm not sure whats going on. When trying to combine these 2 clips in adobe premiere, I get an "Error compiling movie" and windows is telling me I'm running low on ram (Ryzen 5 2600x setup w/ 16 gigs)

Footage is really beautiful at this resolution but I'm starting to feel bottle necked by my computer's performance.

https://youtu.be/jMhC8NbPY1A

ahh sorry, just realized I didn't select aspect ratio to any value. everything is working fine  :-X

Danne

Lag issue? We need more to understand your issue here.

AF-OFF

selecting 5kAna-rew. setting doesn't show up in GD display
all other videomodes do in green typo

h264 only available from the "tap display" presets menu, not in the regular one, they are very much different
regarding h264 and the missing quality controls, could someone beside me find it usefull to have a second h264 low picture quality video with minimal res possible to be able to record mainly Audio ?
I don't know if this is easy possible

Another question regarding the name of the MLV file, - if one starts recording in h264, a name shows up in GD, could this be possible in MLV recording too?

Thanks to Danne and others for their awesome work

Danne

Quote from: AF-OFF on October 08, 2019, 01:55:48 PM
selecting 5kAna-rew. setting doesn't show up in GD display
all other videomodes do in green typo

h264 only available from the "tap display" presets menu, not in the regular one, they are very much different
regarding h264 and the missing quality controls, could someone beside me find it usefull to have a second h264 low picture quality video with minimal res possible to be able to record mainly Audio ?
I don't know if this is easy possible

Another question regarding the name of the MLV file, - if one starts recording in h264, a name shows up in GD, could this be possible in MLV recording too?

Thanks to Danne and others for their awesome work
5k ana rew shows up in green here. That is a ratio is applied. Otherwise not.
You´re correct that h264 only can be reached from tap display menu. Or you can turn off raw video, also works. Originally the plan was to only be able to record mlv in this version so from that stand point it´s not bad.
Recording h264 in parallell wth mlv is not working. Camera freezes.
Could take a look at including name while recording. Edit: checked shortly in lens.c but no easy solution  :P. I will leave it as it is without name included.

AF-OFF

Thank's for clarification Danne

I dont have ratio applied in either mode, only noticed that it doesnt show up there

no problem with h264, did used it previously for audio recordings ... - highest h264 compression and wav audio with external mic
can easily use a dedicated slow card for this with ML nightly

Did try to record h264 and mlv only once, long time ago

clip name is not possible, no problem too

Thanks

Danne

Quote from: AF-OFF on October 09, 2019, 12:53:13 AM
Thank's for clarification Danne

I dont have ratio applied in either mode, only noticed that it doesnt show up there

no problem with h264, did used it previously for audio recordings ... - highest h264 compression and wav audio with external mic
can easily use a dedicated slow card for this with ML nightly

Did try to record h264 and mlv only once, long time ago

clip name is not possible, no problem too

Thanks
Well if only audio is wanted you might as well record in 640x480.

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Now displaying the name anamorph MAX in display when no ratio is selected so new build up.

AF-OFF

hey Danne,
Your new build
so now when I select h264 and then in Canon Menu, videotab, 640x480 30fps, it records in that resolution, which gives a really small filesize with bitrate of 9.8 Mbit
Thanks for the hint

selecting the 5k ana-rew preset with aspect ratio set to OFF shows now as anamorph MAX in GD
This is now very nice and more consistent
But what is really wonderfull now is the real-time preview in that mode, which is perfectly centered and not streched anymore, it's now like the 2.5k modes

Thank You very much! Will do some testing and report back if necessary
Cheers

Danne

Centred but 14 fps? Or do you tweak fps and ratio from max mode?

AF-OFF

@Danne
I did put Your recent build in and tested the h264 @640x480 as suggested
Did push the canonmenu button several times, did a short recording and switched cam off to check the mov file. then I restarted and selected from canon menu back to hd 24fps and activated from ML menu the 5k ana-rew preset (I have the quick menu turned off)
then I've got this realtime preview at 12bit and 12fps , I did switch several times to framing and back and it worked. it was an undistorted, not streched and centered.

Outside I started the cam and the preview didnt work no more like that

Back home tried from memory to recreate , but failed
So I really don't know what happened

Did record at 1736x2996 12bit 12fps , no audio a 60GB file on my 64gb card, did render it out with MLV App which took 3 hours on my old mac and checked the file  which was without any bad frames. the 422 exported file is 56GB

Thanks!

mastapetz

So, just to be sure:

that 2.0.2 Firmware that is mentioned here and in the install FAQ is meant for ALL EOS M models right?
Is this a custom one, already changed by someone of you or something original by Canon?

I ask, because when I check the canon page itself it lists the Firmware 1.1.0 of my M10 as the most recent one, according to other pages (canonwatch) there is an official one, and those link to an US Canon Page where there even is a 2.0.3 Firmware. 

Before I install anything, I want to be sure to be on the right page with everything.

Walter Schulz

There is no generic firmware for Canon cameras. A firmware fits exactly for the camera type it was designed to fit and nowhere else. ML project does not alter Canon firmware files.

An ML build for a camera fits exactly for that cam *and* a designated firmware version. If there is a new firmware version published you can't use ML created for the previous firmware version.

If we talk about "EOS M" this does *not* mean we talk about all cameras with an EF-M mount. From a programmer's viewpoint each cam type is unique.

And M10 won't be covered by ML project (highly unlikely) because it runs on code for the PowerShot series. Which is CHDK's area: https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/M10

LittleBig M

Just report crash....Nightly.2019Oct10.EOSM202
after restart   just crash
copy few crash log

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_SETPARAM_INTERRUPT_EVF, NULL, 0 ) )
at ./Evf/EvfState.c:462, **INT-E0h**:1112c
lv:1 mode:3

PowerMgr stack: 27bfb0 [177340-176f40]
0x0009E558 @ 9e864:27bfb0

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2019Oct10.EOSM202
Mercurial changeset   : 2cfdf6e80413 (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only) tip
Built on 2019-10-10 20:50:53 UTC by danne@danands-MBP.
Free Memory  : 229K + 2567K

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_SETPARAM_INTERRUPT_EVF, NULL, 0 ) )
at ./Evf/EvfState.c:462, **INT-E0h**:1112c
lv:1 mode:3

PowerMgr stack: 27bfb0 [177340-176f40]
0x0009E558 @ 9e864:27bfb0

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2019Oct10.EOSM202
Mercurial changeset   : 2cfdf6e80413 (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only) tip
Built on 2019-10-10 20:50:53 UTC by danne@danands-MBP.
Free Memory  : 229K + 2566K

before crash I film 4 clips 1080   

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on October 05, 2019, 06:59:10 AM
In case you haven't been following the news, Sigma announced some new EF-M mount lenses:

All three primes will set you back about $1,000 or about 6x the cost of a used EOS M body.

Just sold my 16-35L II and will hold on to the $ for these EF-M Primes from Sigma once they're out. Thanks for the heads up @dfort!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Luther on October 05, 2019, 01:10:00 PM
Grading directly on MLVApp (with wide-gamut) is much better than grading on FCPX. It's not a matter of opinion on this, it is just technically better.

Agreed. Spot on. Less is more.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on October 06, 2019, 11:21:06 AM
Yeah, sounds strange with that slow exports. Turnlemons2lemonade. If you want cpu action copy mlv app four times on desktop than start these four apps to export at the same time.

Be sure to have a fire extinguisher ready just in case. ;)

zzzeosm

when I use MLVApp to export 5Kf full sensor readout footage, the final exported file is just 1KB, does anyone meet this problem?

masc

Quote from: zzzeosm on October 12, 2019, 07:14:37 AM
when I use MLVApp to export 5Kf full sensor readout footage, the final exported file is just 1KB, does anyone meet this problem?
This is off-topic here. Post this in the MLVApp thread and describe what you did exactly.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

turnlemons2lemonade

Hey guys, did some more tests. It seems that when recording in 14bit RAW using MCM Rewire preset, with histogram turned off & lv peaking off & external monitor I still get dropped frames. HOWEVER, if I'm recording let's say a 30-60sec clip before and start recording after it seems to work. I mostly seem to get dropped frames on cold starts. Any other suggestion we can try?

DeafEyeJedi

Interesting theory... I'll give this a test run @turnlemons2lemonade!

ricardopt

Were the histogram and focus peaking from the magic lantern or the inbuilt monitor functions? Did you try with 12 or 10 bit?
Thanks for the tests.

ricardopt

was trying the 10/10/19 build and when using the shutter fine tuning function it displays in green "3.5k" when using the 5k preset, all the other modes are "identified" correctly.

Danne

5k rewired? The other 5k anamorphic is not recommended to use anymore.