Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guerchi

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on September 24, 2019, 09:52:31 PM
Any proof for this? Been hesitated at buying Extreme Pro 170 MB/s over the ever so popular 95 MB/s regardless of the latter (95 MB/s) costing more than the higher write speeds (170 MB/s).

If this card is doable then I'll definitely go out and grab a bunch of Extreme Pro's in 170 MB/s just to be future-proofed and because they are cheaper online.

The reason why I'm asking is because we obviously know that the faster Extreme Pro 280 MB/s is actually slower for the EOSM and is unable to do continuous recording at all. However, this seems to be not the case for EP 170 MB/s, correct?  :o
Like Walter said, the 95MB/s version has more room to play near 57 MB/s. I had a couple of that for my BMPCC (the 170 MB/s version don't work on the pocket) and work perfect on my EOS M.
I just did a test with both cards recording in 5k anamorphic, ratio 2.35:1, aspect ratio 2:1, resolution 1280x1900, 14 BITS LOSLESS! at an average of 55 MB/s and both cards did a good job giving about 2 minutes of continuous recording with changing light environments between inside and outside. Maybe the 170 MB/s version showed the red camera warning more often, but both stopped at a similar place and time, and it seems that neither generated pink frames.
This makes me think that maybe in controlled light environments I can go to 5k anamorphic in 14 bits! That in MLV APP means you can raising the RAW white Level to the maximum and recover more data in the highlights or at least achieve a more pleasant Highlight Rolloff.

2blackbar

Did You tested highlight detail with14 and 12bits ? I did multiple times and result shown similar amount of info in highs, not that much different.Tiny bit in shadow, if you call more visible black spots and noise a "detail in shadows".Difference between h264 and raw is amazing tho, like totally new camera and every lens shows its real character that i did not seen at all wehen filming in h264 , it was crushed by canons default contrast and gamma algos.

mix_vfx

[EDIT] Tested with 15-45, works very nicely, great build.

I'll test today's build for the Aperture control! Thanks a lot for considering : )))

Also, quite interesting insights from guerchi. I'd say, the long term easiest way would be to introduce a few variables, that store each preset's values.

Lets say, we could have two presets that are customisable, and save themselves, maybe even export a little xml or cfg file for sharing.

Feels doable, but emphasising FEELS!! : ))

LittleBig M

My first post..... So far I'm enjoying shooting with my EOS M  .Thank you Danne ,Zeek and others...

struppi222

Could anyone help me with a specific problem I have?
The AF on my EOS M seems to have stopped working when in One Shot mode.
I can usually use it when I first turn on the camera, but as soon as I switch modes (eg. from Manual to Video mode) or enter the canon menu it stops working.
Everytime I try to focus with half pressing shutter afterwards the liveview locks up and the the lens makes weird sounds,
then tries to focus until it's extended all the way trough. I'll try to post a video in the afternoon, but if anyone knows a quick fix,
I'd be super thankful.

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- canon MENU button now first open INFO screen then canon menu if INFO button has been remapped

INFO screen is still very useful and will be missed when INFO button has been reassigned to other stuff. To cure this canon MENU button will now open up INFO screen instead when INFO has been reassigned. Push MENU again while in INFO screen mode and it goes to canon menu. Push it a third time and it goes back to liveview.

Naviddabest

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on September 24, 2019, 09:52:31 PM
Any proof for this? Been hesitated at buying Extreme Pro 170 MB/s over the ever so popular 95 MB/s regardless of the latter (95 MB/s) costing more than the higher write speeds (170 MB/s).

If this card is doable then I'll definitely go out and grab a bunch of Extreme Pro's in 170 MB/s just to be future-proofed and because they are cheaper online.

The reason why I'm asking is we obviously know that the faster Extreme Pro 280 MB/s is actually slower for the EOSM and is unable to do continuous recording at all. However, this seems to be not the case for EP 170 MB/s, correct?  :o

my 2 cents, or pennies here the uk but from what i heard the 280MB/s card is slower becuase it is a UHS II card and the eos m supports UHS I so the UHS I part of the card is slower, whereas as the 170MB/s is still a UHS I card and you can only achieve thoes "read" speeds by using their proprietary card readers.

guerchi

Quote from: 2blackbar on September 25, 2019, 04:26:20 AM
Did You tested highlight detail with14 and 12bits ? I did multiple times and result shown similar amount of info in highs, not that much different.Tiny bit in shadow, if you call more visible black spots and noise a "detail in shadows".Difference between h264 and raw is amazing tho, like totally new camera and every lens shows its real character that i did not seen at all wehen filming in h264 , it was crushed by canons default contrast and gamma algos.
The difference is subtle but exists,Much smaller than the chasm between the poor canon H264 and ML RAW!
It is not that the bitdeph increases the dynamic range, I think ML has already extended it to the limits of the sensor.
But, the 14-bit RAW, has by definition more room to retrieve information in both highlights and shadows. Better Highlight Rolloff and less noise in the shadows. I don't know if it's visible on the youtub compression, maybe it can be seen in the first shots where there is very hard sun light :https://youtu.be/dRw3Nir9awE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRw3Nir9awE

Anyway 5k Anamorphics, in 1280x1900, 14 bits works, but it is unstable,  flirting with the limits of SD card writing speed.

On the other hand, ingenious idea to be able to access the info function from the Canon menu button, Thanks once again Danne!

ngemu

Sorry can't seem to figure this one out.

I am trying use my desktop monitor as an external display. However, I cant seem to get anything to display using the mv1080p MCM rewire mode.

The mv1080p 45/48/50 fps 10 bit mode & h264 bit works fine though. Popping out the ML card and using the regular canon software also works fine.

Does this have to do with my monitors display settings (resolution, hertz..) being incompatible with the mcm rewire mode?

Danne

Quote from: guerchi on September 27, 2019, 03:20:45 AM
Anyway 5k Anamorphics, in 1280x1900, 14 bits works, but it is unstable,  flirting with the limits of SD card writing speed.
1280x1900, what ratio is that?
I also recommend using the 5k anamorphic rewired mode. A little less height but more stable.

Uploaded a new version just now. It contains iso max and min when using gain function. WHen reaching iso 3200 it won´t loop back to iso 100. Iso 100 not looping back to 3200.

turnlemons2lemonade

Hey guys, I just registered to congratulate Danne & Zeek (and others) for pushing this little beast.

I'm also starting my channel which will be mostly using the EOS M for everything video.

I have a few questions and I think it would be great to have answers on this:
1. What is the most stable and lower file size preset we can use right now? I've been currently using MCM Rewire preset but I'm getting some dropframes here and there when using a Feelworld MA5 monitor (probably because I can't switch the feed to 480p) - so for that I think when recording it's just better to turn off the monitor, right? At least for the moment.
2. Is there a faster way to convert ML RAW to ProRes 422 LT? MLVApp seems to be taking around 10 minutes for 30 seconds of video. I'm shooting long format 5-10 minutes videos for my YouTube channel and converting 10 minutes of RAW to ProRes is taking 2 days.
3. I noticed that it's a very big difference in file size between ProRes 422 & 422 LT with not that much disadvantages. Also it seems that MLVApp doesn't care if you export 4K or 1080p, the export time for a 30 second clip is usually the same. Also MLVApp seems to freeze sometimes, a few times I exported 3 minute RAW clip and it just froze after 1.5 hours.
4. The preamps in this camera doesn't seem to be that great neither, so probably would be better off recording externally. Any suggestions on that?

Overall I am blown away at the difference between H264 and ML RAW and definitely will continue using it, I'm just trying to find a workflow that's worth it so that I'm not waiting 5-8 hours to export videos.

743v04

First just want to thank everyone (especially Danne!) for all of the hard work put into this amazing project. Does anyone have experience using the EOS-M with a Zhiyun Crane 2 by any chance? I recently picked one up to use with my 5D II, and it works perfect with that running the experimental 10-12 bit firmware.

However, trying it with my EOS-M running the most recent firmware release when I try to use it the same way it gives me a computer connection symbol on the screen. It seems like it has something to do with the fact that the M is mirrorless so doesn't have a non live view to switch out of like the DSLR 5D does, but I just figured it was worth checking in to see if anyone has any insight!

I do not have any video of this behavior to show currently, however I can get some over the weekend to show what I mean if it is something anyone is willing to look into, thanks!

guerchi

Quote from: Danne on September 27, 2019, 07:10:25 AM
1280x1900, what ratio is that?
I also recommend using the 5k anamorphic rewired mode. A little less height but more stable.
With 1280x1900 resolution, the aspect ratio would be 2:1. To get this resolution, I set the ratio at 2:35:1 and the aspect ratio at 2:1.
In 14 bits it is not stable, but in 12 bits it is. And, after testing, I think I prefer to work in 12 bits rather than sacrifice some height.

lightspeed

Not sure I understand the point of anamorphic mode. The resolution does not appear to be any better than 2.5k and in fact seems to look worse.

mix_vfx

Quote from: lightspeed on September 27, 2019, 09:58:45 PM
Not sure I understand the point of anamorphic mode. The resolution does not appear to be any better than 2.5k and in fact seems to look worse.

You get less crop. Almost full sensor width readout, and stellar resolutions when desqueezed.

henricusmaria

Quote from: mix_vfx on September 28, 2019, 11:28:07 AM
You get less crop. Almost full sensor width readout, and stellar resolutions when desqueezed.

Maybe he means it is less sharp..

masc

That is all off-topic here, but I'll answer anyway. Better asking such questions in the MLVApp thread!
Quote from: turnlemons2lemonade on September 27, 2019, 02:27:35 PM
2. Is there a faster way to convert ML RAW to ProRes 422 LT? MLVApp seems to be taking around 10 minutes for 30 seconds of video.
No. The rendering has to be done no matter which codec is selected. So the time will be the same. Fastest is when not changing an "Edit" area setting.

3. I noticed that it's a very big difference in file size between ProRes 422 & 422 LT with not that much disadvantages.
"Not that much", but there is a difference.

Also it seems that MLVApp doesn't care if you export 4K or 1080p, the export time for a 30 second clip is usually the same.
The rendering has to be done no matter which resolution is selected (original resolution is fastest). So the time will be similar.

Also MLVApp seems to freeze sometimes, a few times I exported 3 minute RAW clip and it just froze after 1.5 hours.
Please post into MLVApp thread, what you've done exactly to get MLVApp frozen. Best, if it is reproduceable.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

turnlemons2lemonade

Thanks for the clarifications masc, so pretty much this is the workflow at the moment. Appreciate it!

2blackbar

My camera is crashing basically everytime i restart after filming is stoped, getting error 70.
crashlogs:
ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_READOUTDONE_INTERRUPT_EVF, NULL, 0 ) )
at ./Evf/EvfState.c:479, **INT-D9h**:1116c
lv:0 mode:3

CtrlSrv stack: 27bfb0 [1d9db8-1d5db8]
0x0009E558 @ 9e864:27bfb0

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2019Sep24.EOSM202
Mercurial changeset   : 803005845230 (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only) tip
Built on 2019-09-24 12:27:24 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 230K + 2583K

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_SETPARAM_INTERRUPT_EVF, NULL, 0 ) )
at ./Evf/EvfState.c:462, **INT-E0h**:1112c
lv:1 mode:3

debug_task stack: 27bfb0 [1ebdf0-1e9df0]

Free Memory  : 229K + 2564K

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_SETPARAM_INTERRUPT_EVF, NULL, 0 ) )
at ./Evf/EvfState.c:462, **INT-E0h**:1112c
lv:1 mode:3

debug_task stack: 27bfb0 [1ebdf0-1e9df0]

Free Memory  : 229K + 2565K

Danne

I need much more info if you want help. Preset used etc. Also try to reinstall. Maybe helps.
Are you using fps override?

mesebar2

First of all, I'd like to thank you Danne for the amazing work you're doing.

I finally had the chance to try the new builds you created for the EOS M. They are so much fun, and the quality is absolutely incredible, and the 5K anamorphic rewired is brilliant.
I have used the September 24th build during the earth strike day, just to try it out quickly. And wow, the image quality I got using the MLVApp is just too good. And the focus pixels using your presets are just not there.
Thank you again for the work you and all the ML developers are doing!

I have a question and am wondering if any of you could help me.

Yesterday I had to literally run to quickly record something, and while doing so I disable the presets. Long story short, I manage to record the footage but instead of using:
5k anamorphic rewired, 1088x1632 10 bit lossless
I recorded anamorphic  1120x1680 14 bits lossless

As a result, I did manage to shoot what I needed but I'm not able to remove the focus pixels in MLVApp. Is there any way for me to get rid of them?
I searched in the forums but I don't think I found (or maybe understood) how to do it either in MLVApp or through mlv_dump.

If it can help, I uploaded the preset and non-preset samples below
https://we.tl/t-jgtbxyn9NJ

Thanks to anyone who has the patience to help me or point me in the right direction.

And thank you again, Danne, for the amazing work you're doing!

2blackbar

yes im always using fps override to 23.976
I went back to build from last august.Too much trouble with new one.I might be the only one if people dont post anything about issues but i had to pull battery so many times and got error 70 over 10 times in a row. i pick mcm rewire from that new menu , then change to 12 bits , fps override , 16:9, not much else, digic sharpening on , white balance 5000, shutter 41, histogram on.Yeah it doesnt say anything i know.I also noticed that my recording times are much weaker now, i get 20 seconds max and it stops, but i could record for longer than that it started to happen since that new menu was introduced, but i like it so im on august 30.

Danne

It could be anything but I bet it's related to fps override in your case. If it's related to the build is hard to say but you are free to use whatever build you want so.

ZEEK

Quote from: mesebar2 on September 30, 2019, 07:12:10 PM
As a result, I did manage to shoot what I needed but I'm not able to remove the focus pixels in MLVApp. Is there any way for me to get rid of them?
I searched in the forums but I don't think I found (or maybe understood) how to do it either in MLVApp or through mlv_dump.

You just download the focus pixel maps from the link below, unzip them and drag them onto the black screen on MLV App. If it's still there, 3x3 chroma smooth shouldn't hurt ;)
MASC Focus Pixel Tutorial Video found on this page towards the bottom:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.675
Focus Pixel Maps Download:
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=https%3A%2F%2Fbitbucket.org%2Fdaniel_fort%2Fml-focus-pixels%2Fdownloads%2F&redir_token=XAGCeaNtGohw2MmJkXwYfOzsvPN8MTU2OTk3MDE3NEAxNTY5ODgzNzc0&v=zbOEAD9RfJ0&event=video_description
EOS M