Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Bootflag has no effect on the issues discussed above. Other than a small delay at startup, when the bootloader is checking the contents of the SD card (see this flowchart), there's absolutely no effect on camera functionality.

Quote from: Danne on September 20, 2019, 12:41:28 PM
Also formatting a sd card with ml ongoing often seems to be a cause of issues restarting etc.

Links, please...

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Danne on September 20, 2019, 12:41:28 PM
Also formatting a sd card with ml ongoing often seems to be a cause of issues restarting etc. Walter mostly comes to the rescue here ;).

Don't remember any such issues after reformatting. After format the card is clean and there may be a problem with diagnostics like portable display autoexec.bin and lost ROM.BINs (if needed).

Danne

Ok,ok. I only vaguely base my assumptions. Could be erasing not formatting causing issues.
I would like to rewrite my former message.
Please don't seek ways to break start up routines removing card or other ways in my ongoing builds. I don't have the time or enough knowledge to provide more than bleeding edge experimental builds. And in this case many presets includes heavy use of movie crop mode property regs. Other automations might also become problematic if for some reason interrupted.

henricusmaria

Quote from: Danne on September 20, 2019, 08:44:48 AM
New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- 18 fps 1736x2180 (2.39:1) anamorphic mode

If ratios are set to OFF and you then enable set_25fps in anamorphic rewired mode fps will have a boost to 18fps and set resolution to 1736x2180. Don´t forget to push MENU once to refresh regs.

This mode is continuous in 10bit. It´s actually possible to push to 20fps but not continuous.
The 14fps mode can be pushed to 16fps but will only record shortly. If you want to push these limits go into the registry section and decrease reg_6014 and/or reg_6008.

That's great, thanks! I normally record in 16:9 but will try this out.

Danne

I want the full width so the compromise to get 18fps is 2.39:1.
I guess full width could be kept an 24fps if we want to use a more narrow ratio than 2.39:1. Could be interesting.

mix_vfx

Quote from: Danne on September 20, 2019, 01:42:34 PM
I want the full width so the compromise to get 18fps is 2.39:1.
I guess full width could be kept an 24fps if we want to use a more narrow ratio than 2.39:1. Could be interesting.

So we have:

1464x1836 at 24p (64,509,696 pixel / sec)
1736x2180 at 18p (68,120,640 pixel / sec)
1736x2996 at 14p (72,814,784 pixel / sec)

So maybe 24p's width could be pushed till about 2072(?), with height and fps unchanged. And / Or full width and lowered height of course, may be a variable for setting its ratio between limits?

Danne

Changing cmos 7 to 280 allows for higher fps but only tested some. Even if we could reach 24fps here it's not continuous without highly reduced height so maybe just stop at 18fps until we see some actual use here  :P

DeafEyeJedi

@Danne -- I just wanted to let you know that while I appreciate your hard work on fine-tuning this mighty beast nevertheless recently I couldn't stop puzzling myself at why occasionally if I were to 'abuse' the half-shutter to check focus in x10 zoom and back to normal viewing thus forcing me to either turn off cam and back on (not very often requiring a battery pull) just a simply shut-down and back on seems to do the trick.  :-X

Atm I'd give this Sticky Push about a 75-85% reliability rate (if not better) which is far more than what we can ask from you. Regardless I'll continue to abuse this bad boy to try and find a way to reproduce this so called phenomenon since this is indeed an useful feature.

Rather than the usual double press Menu button which would normally refresh the registers but apparently I'm pushing this a bit over the edge, right?  ;D

Also I just realized you can't really combine Magic Zoom with the Half-Shutter Sticky Push together (unless you turn off Global Draw completely while in recording mode) which to me is a dealbreaker. While I enjoy the newly sticky half-shutter feature... we know we shouldn't fix what's not broken re: Magic Zoom. All about compromise!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

Are you using sticky push? If not do that and see to it that halfshutter is pushed until reaching x10 zoom.

AF-OFF

In the Sept20th build I have a bug at Playback
this happens seeningly if the ratio is set to off This doesn't happen with 2.5k 1:1 or Ana modes
2. maybe the 3x also an issue there

So if I set ratio to OFF and record mv1080p rew. and go in Playback, the LED is on and the screen black. The cam doesn't freez or something, I can reach the Record mode just  with a tap on the screen .

Just a report. Please check anyone.
Many thanks to Danne and pthers

Best

Danne

There's often playback issues with eos m. The only cam I used which works robust with mlv_play is the 5d3. Any hints to if this is fixable is most welcome.

AF-OFF

Didn't know this
Not that big playback user anyway, actually found the "fast" playback option just some days ago, which is neat

ngemu

When shooting outdoors, I don't need to change my iso that much.

Was wondering if possible to create in the customized hotkey tab to just change aperture up and down. Thanks!

Jip-Hop

Could be added. But iso will stay at 100 until aperture is all the way open. So basically when you want to shoot at iso 100 outdoor you'll only be changing aperture when using the existing iso + aperture hot keys.

mix_vfx

Quote from: Jip-Hop on September 23, 2019, 09:50:42 AM
Could be added. But iso will stay at 100 until aperture is all the way open. So basically when you want to shoot at iso 100 outdoor you'll only be changing aperture when using the existing iso + aperture hot keys.

maybe "Right" button could switch between ISO / Aperture for Up/Down buttons, like it does with Aperture/Shutter (given that Shutter is locked).

Danne

It could be added as an independent setting leaving iso completely alone? A third option in customize buttons. Iso can still be changed normally in canon menu.

EDIT: Right/left buttons are not assignable for all know.

ngemu

Quote from: Jip-Hop on September 23, 2019, 09:50:42 AM

Quote from: Danne on September 23, 2019, 10:04:20 AM
It could be added as an independent setting leaving iso completely alone? A third option in customize buttons. Iso can still be changed normally in canon menu.

EDIT: Right/left buttons are not assignable for all know.

:)

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- aperture only mode possible. Check under customized buttons.

EDIT: refined function. Skipping fine tuning steps and also reversed buttons when it´s aperture only.

EDIT 2:
Decided to add yet another switch in there:

Will assign INFO button and now it will toggle between ISO and aperture button. Also works while recording

mix_vfx

Very nice, one thing. It skips wide open (3.5) on the kit 15-45. Maybe not jumping to f22 when reaching wide open? And / Or option to choose stepping (full vs large steps like now)?

Thanks in advance : ))

Danne

I tested both suggestions and they are possible. However I can´t use it that way. I really need aperture steps to be pushed faster. If I want finer increments I simply use the scroll wheel instead. The stops could be added but seems they will be skipped if not reaching the correct max or min number and this could happen since I took out the finer increments. So if it´,s at 2.2 instead of 2.0 it will skip the stop and go to f22. So I skip stops too.

If you want to you can add this piece of code into crop_rec.c and compile and you get what you want. Replace following:
    if (key == MODULE_KEY_PRESS_UP && lv && !gui_menu_shown() && is_movie_mode() && (gain_buttons == 3 || info_switch))
    {
        aperture_toggle(0, 2);
        return 0;
    }
    if (key == MODULE_KEY_PRESS_DOWN && lv && !gui_menu_shown() && is_movie_mode() && (gain_buttons == 3 || info_switch))
    {
        aperture_toggle(0, -2);
        return 0;
    }

With:
    if (key == MODULE_KEY_PRESS_UP && lv && !gui_menu_shown() && is_movie_mode() && (gain_buttons == 3 || info_switch))
    {
        int a = lens_info.raw_aperture;
        if (a == lens_info.raw_aperture_max) return 0;
        aperture_toggle(0, 1);
        return 0;
    }
    if (key == MODULE_KEY_PRESS_DOWN && lv && !gui_menu_shown() && is_movie_mode() && (gain_buttons == 3 || info_switch))
    {
        int a = lens_info.raw_aperture;
        if (a == lens_info.raw_aperture_min) return 0;
        aperture_toggle(0, -1);
        return 0;
    }

guerchi

Hello Danne and community, catching up with the latest modifications!
The possibility of switching between realtime and framing with the INFO button seemed to me incredibly useful. Being that framing is essential to think the framing, but with Kill Global draw, at the time of recording you has to become familiar with what should be framed in that view. It's a bit intricate, but it's the way to get the best out of EOS M at the moment.

On the other hand, is there a chance to easily customize the presets? and could these already include the ratio, resolution and bitdeph?
I know something about programming, but I don't remember anything about C.

After trying the possible configurations, the ones I use the most are:
- mv1080p MCM Rewire, in 14 bit, with aspect ratio in 4:3 and resolution 1736x1158, to capture the highest resolution and have that crop margin if the final video is in 16:9.
- 5k anamorphic, in 12 bit, with a ratio of 2.35:1, with aspect ratio 2:1 and resolution 1280x1900, to minimize the crop factor. And 12 bit always gave me much better results in the shadows than 10 bit.
Both modes give me continuous recording and free of pink frames! I use the popular sandisk extreme pro 170MB/s.

Of course, the way it's now, the EOS M has already become an incredible tool for experimenting in cinemetography.
Thank you very much for all your work.

Danne

What exactly do you want to customize? And easy? It depends on what you're after. But it sounds like you should start checking into crop_rec.c.
Compiling? If not, I suggest you start there. Compiler.app for mac is what I use. There are guides for windows here as well.

guerchi

Quote from: Danne on September 24, 2019, 08:33:05 PM
What exactly do you want to customize?
at first It would only be to see if it is possible when choosing the mv1080p MCM Rewire and 5k anamorphic presets, automatically change ratio, aspect ratio, resolution and bitdeph, to those of my preference.

I will see if I can go inside and understand what you mention.
Ideally I would try to include the possibility of saving the current configuration as a preset, but I guess that would not be easy.

Thank you!

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: guerchi on September 24, 2019, 07:32:30 PM
I use the popular sandisk extreme pro 170MB/s.

Any proof for this? Been hesitated at buying Extreme Pro 170 MB/s over the ever so popular 95 MB/s regardless of the latter (95 MB/s) costing more than the higher write speeds (170 MB/s).

If this card is doable then I'll definitely go out and grab a bunch of Extreme Pro's in 170 MB/s just to be future-proofed and because they are cheaper online.

The reason why I'm asking is we obviously know that the faster Extreme Pro 280 MB/s is actually slower for the EOSM and is unable to do continuous recording at all. However, this seems to be not the case for EP 170 MB/s, correct?  :o
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

First generation Extreme Pro UHS-III (280 MByte/s) actually were good for < 50 MByte/s writing in UHS-I mode. Those 170 MByte/s are a tad slower than Extreme Pro 95 MByte/s in non-Sandisk devices (those supporting proprietary overclocking mode).
See https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/sandisk-extreme-pro-170mbs-uhs-i-u3-v30-128gb-sdxc-memory-card/