Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Seems modules aren't loaded properly. Could you test completely uninstalling and then reinstall again. Disabling, then enabling bootflag again maybe fixes the issue.
What specs do you have on your sd card by the way?

earlph

QuoteSeems modules aren't loaded properly
regarding that, i dont see the module tab... was it removed by default?

QuoteCould you test completely uninstalling and then reinstall again.
I just did this, uninstall firmware via format, then copy and paste file then install, still not working, I will try to re download the files.

QuoteDisabling, then enabling bootflag again maybe fixes the issue.
sorry, i dont know how to do this  :D :'(

QuoteWhat specs do you have on your sd card by the way?
Normal sandisk extreme pro card 95mb/s I have used it a lot of times with this camera and shot a lot of raw but I guess it's failing now??

Walter Schulz

Quote from: earlph on September 17, 2019, 05:36:10 PM
regarding that, i dont see the module tab... was it removed by default?

Default is: If shutdown is not properly done -> Don't load any module and do not show modules tab.
If you are unable to perform a proper shutdown you may change this to
Debug tab -> Modules debug -> Load modules after crash ON

Quote from: earlph on September 17, 2019, 05:36:10 PM
sorry, i dont know how to do this  :D :'(

Reinstall and wait for timeout -> Bootflag gone.

Danne

Fixed now. Crop_rec.mo wasn´t compiling. Happens sometimes after writing some commit which python can´t decipher. Not sure what´s going on.
Should be fine now though. Please test and report back.

Edit: Thanks Walter but enabling modules are excluded in this build as it´s enabled upon installing firmware.

rinski

Hello, I would like to comment that in the 16 sept. program I don't find the way to configure 1280 x 1890 4k anamorphic 24 fps by default or not, as in the 8 sept. version; only 5k 14 or 12 fps works well by default.
Thank you.

earlph

Tested dual iso, 5k ana, 1080 mcm, and info button preview, all works as intended. Thanks!!

mix_vfx

Quote from: rinski on September 17, 2019, 05:55:51 PM
Hello, I would like to comment that in the 16 sept. program I don't find the way to configure 1280 x 1890 4k anamorphic 24 fps by default or not, as in the 8 sept. version; only 5k 14 or 12 fps works well by default.
Thank you.

You get 1464 x 1836 10bit 24fps at 2.39:1 ratio. As mentioned by Danne, if you turn off ratio, you get the 14fps mode, with full sensor readout, and 1736 x 1890.

DeafEyeJedi

I'm diggin' the new 5K ana in 14p mode big time @Danne. Especially with the full-shutter feature enabled, dial it down to 1/14th. Throw a Circular Profiler Polarizer on and you're golden!  8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

henricusmaria

Walter Schulz

Circular Polarizer.
Because there is no mirror in EOS M design a linear polarizer will do, too.
But I think what he is trying to say is named "Variable ND".

DeafEyeJedi

henricusmaria

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on September 19, 2019, 07:09:00 AM
Thanks for the correction to my typo @Walter Schulz!

8)

You got some test footage I can see of the 14fps? Doesn't it look choppy at that speed?

mix_vfx

Quote from: henricusmaria on September 19, 2019, 07:38:35 AM
8)

You got some test footage I can see of the 14fps? Doesn't it look choppy at that speed?

: ) 17mm f4 ISO 400 shutter 1/14 5K Ana, downscaled to HD but originally 5208 x 2996, Sept 19th build.

Danne

I consider 14fps anamorphic as a photo burst mode or timelapse mode more than a movie mode preset.

mix_vfx

Quote from: Danne on September 19, 2019, 02:06:20 PM
I consider 14fps anamorphic as a photo burst mode or timelapse mode more than a movie mode preset.

It's a very right path though. Many movies use 12 or even 6 fps shots for certain dreamy sequences or plates. I already have one in mind, that needs a low fps plate.

Just out of curiosity, where's the bottleneck in allowing full sensor readout to be recorded with 24fps? I mean, could we achieve a few frames at all (250?) And, can anything be done with the dark liveview while recording 1080p with a bitrate lower than 14bit?

Danne

Quote from: mix_vfx on September 19, 2019, 02:49:16 PM
It's a very right path though. Many movies use 12 or even 6 fps shots for certain dreamy sequences or plates. I already have one in mind, that needs a low fps plate.

Just out of curiosity, where's the bottleneck in allowing full sensor readout to be recorded with 24fps? I mean, could we achieve a few frames at all (250?) And, can anything be done with the dark liveview while recording 1080p with a bitrate lower than 14bit?
Timer registries are connected with readout. I don´t know the full story but increasing fps reduces with(black border) or we get corrupted frames and so on.

Don´t know about darkened output? Could you share examples? A bit darker but that comes with the territory reducing analog gain registers. Liveview brightness reg is pushed quite a bit to compensate for 10bit so it shouldn´t be a big issue.

nmzszs

Hello to all, I've a problem that after I download the latest version(seb.19) of ML, and I found that I can neither change my ISO nor shutter speed. this's my first time using the ML. Maybe my seeting was wrong. plz help me! :o

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on September 19, 2019, 02:06:20 PM

Agreed. Try using both Dual-ISO & Circular Polarizer together for decent results. Indeed, it's such a killer combo!  :P

earlph

@danne Ml fails to load after turning on camera without the card then inserting back the card with ml (haven't tested putting card without ml)
1. Remove card with ml
2. turn on camera without card
3. insert card back
4. turn on then no lcd, led blinking yellow green
5. tried the battery pull and switching with and without card first two times worked after more or less 5 tries. Third time worked after like 15 times of it (different random combinations of pull from battery pull and on without card, battery pull on then insert card, on with batt and card then pull battery). After booting it displayed the "skipping loading modules"

I don't know if this matters, maybe someone may accidentally turn the camera on without the card or something. Thanks!

Danne

I tried to reproduce but removing card and starting camera simply starts it saying there´s no card present. So then I turn off the camera and put the card back in and restart and everything is back to normal again. Couldn´t reproduce the hang up. Then again I didn´t test very hard. I think one shouldn´t. It´s better to uninstall ml if not using it or removing the card etc.

henricusmaria

Quote from: mix_vfx on September 19, 2019, 01:09:39 PM

: ) 17mm f4 ISO 400 shutter 1/14 5K Ana, downscaled to HD but originally 5208 x 2996, Sept 19th build.

Thanks for the example. I think it can be quite useful in some situations.

It would be nice to have an optimal preset for 18 fps silent (audio) film.

Danne

Quote from: henricusmaria on September 20, 2019, 07:07:06 AM
Thanks for the example. I think it can be quite useful in some situations.

It would be nice to have an optimal preset for 18 fps silent (audio) film.

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- 18 fps 1736x2180 (2.39:1) anamorphic mode

If ratios are set to OFF and you then enable set_25fps in anamorphic rewired mode fps will have a boost to 18fps and set resolution to 1736x2180. Don´t forget to push MENU once to refresh regs.

This mode is continuous in 10bit. It´s actually possible to push to 20fps but not continuous.
The 14fps mode can be pushed to 16fps but will only record shortly. If you want to push these limits go into the registry section and decrease reg_6014 and/or reg_6008.

a1ex

Quote from: earlph on September 20, 2019, 04:47:16 AM
maybe someone may accidentally turn the camera on without the card or something

When you turn on the camera without card, it loads the original firmware. This procedure (starting without card) is the first thing one should do if the camera doesn't boot (see the Troubleshooting section on the main download page), so warning others not to do this, doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote"skipping loading modules"

This one appears after a bad shutdown while you were running ML. That is, after removing the ML card, the camera was not fully turned off, and when you started it without card, it was actually running from the previous (ML) session. I've seen Canon firmware canceling a shutdown in the past (if you power the camera back on before the shutdown completes, or if something goes wrong with DryOS). So, yeah, I can see a way for this to happen after a crash.

If the camera doesn't boot, remove the battery and retry. The power button doesn't actually cut the power; it's just a soft button, so it's not going to bypass a software lockup. Same for the battery/card door.

Quote from: Danne on September 20, 2019, 06:47:29 AM
I think one shouldn´t. It´s better to uninstall ml if not using it or removing the card etc.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Using a formatted card, or removing the card, are preferred ways to start the camera without ML (see FAQ and install guide). One shouldn't have to run the installation procedure back and forth.

Danne

Bootflag reset is always good if not using ml.
Also formatting a sd card with ml ongoing often seems to be a cause of issues restarting etc. Walter mostly comes to the rescue here ;). Seems uninstalling properly will take care of most issues that's all.