Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AF-OFF

@Danne
Don't know how this happened. It was since months disabled in canon menu, which I used mostly to format card
@dfort
I did get what Walter suggested, but I like to setup all custom settings every time, I put a new build from Danne on the card - this way, I learn better where all the settings in ML-menu are

Romain182

Hi all
And hi Danne

I'm using your lastest build (28 june) and i'm having issues with focusing dots...
I know there's a lot of topics about It but i spend my night reading and still struggling with It.

I tryed the Zeek settings told us working fine for him but not for me.

Settings are:
Crop Mode
- MCM Rewire
- Bitdepth = 10bit
- Ratios = 16:9 or OFF (to increase max resolution in 1:2)

RAW Video:
- Resolution - 1736x976
- Aspect Ratio - 1:2 (16:9)
- Card Warm-Up 64 MB
- Small Hacks - af on
- Sound Recording - OFF

chroma smooth x3 solve a part but not all.
Especially when i add sharpness on MLV, White dots appears on edges.
But when using crop x3 they goes away.

I downloaded the focus map files but since my MLV app is standalone with no folders i don't know where i'm supposed to put It...

Danne

If on mac you can download the compiler in the first post:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0

As of lately you get a prompt to install focus pixel maps here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.msg217959#msg217959

Not all modes might be working with latest pixel maps so so it would be great if you could help the community out and tell us exactly what modes aren´t working and what actually works. Maybe upload short mlv files of the problematic modes. Post your findings here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.msg217953#msg217953

Romain182

Thanks for the quick reply !
unfortunatly i'm on Windows 10.
So i guess the compiler will not work on my PC.

Settings are:
Crop Mode
- MCM Rewire
- Bitdepth = 10bit
- Ratios = 16:9

RAW Video:
- Resolution - 1736x976
- Aspect Ratio - 16:9
- Card Warm-Up 64 MB
- Small Hacks - af on
- Sound Recording - OFF

I'll try to upload an MLV file asap.

I'm really depressed to see Zeek videos that great and not being able to get any good quality out of the same camera, same ML and same settings...

I guess i fail somewhere !
Maybe an option on the Canon native menu.
Or in ML.

Edit: i dont mentioned all the modes i'm using cause it's just the same focusing dots on any modes.
looks like changing mode doesn't affect It.
Only x3 crop works great on any settings.
but i prefer being able to use the Rewire cause it's more a good to go on any situation imo.

Danne

There will be focus pixels in all eosm modes. The preset you are using should work but who knows. If you search on the forum there are post about where to put the map files also on windows 10.

Romain182

Maybe it's a bug on ML.
Cause i've already like 4 roms in It and Maybe need to clear some.

Danne

Bug? Don´t think so. Pleasy upload examples of what you look at being a problem. A MLV file, dng or something to inspect.

ZEEK

Quote from: Romain182 on June 29, 2019, 04:28:30 PM

I guess i fail somewhere !
Maybe an option on the Canon native menu.
Or in ML.

Edit: i dont mentioned all the modes i'm using cause it's just the same focusing dots on any modes.
looks like changing mode doesn't affect It.
Only x3 crop works great on any settings.
but i prefer being able to use the Rewire cause it's more a good to go on any situation imo.

There is nothing in-camera, I don't think that will solve the focus pixels. I'm currently using June 14th Build and it works perfectly with the focus pixels, no chroma smooth needed at all.
- Ensure in MLV App, you have 'enabled' 'fix focus pixels' or dots which essential in removing the dots. I was frustrated as to why I was getting the red focus pixels a few weeks back and realised this was not enabled in MLV App. Now there is no issue. There has been no issue with the June 14 Build for me, I've been hesitant to update ml. Cheers :)
EOS M

Romain182

Hi Zeek !
Maybe i need to roll back to the previous build from 14th june.
Is It possible for you to upload your ML folder somewhere ?

Danne

No change in june 14th for the mcm modes. Could you upload a sample please?

Jip-Hop

Would it be possible to toggle between 3x crop mode with a single button? E.g. the set or info button? Would be super convenient to use it like the Extended Tele Conversion on some Panasonic models. Currently I haven't built up the muscle memory to switch quickly. It takes about 5 seconds and 5 key presses to toggle.

Danne

All the way to the right you have a triangle ´modified´and in there you can get into fast toggle presets.

ZEEK

Quote from: Danne on June 29, 2019, 05:24:43 PM
No change in june 14th for the mcm modes. Could you upload a sample please?

Sure. What sample would you like to see? A screenshot of a clip in MLV App with no chroma smooth enabled?
EOS M

berechiah

Hey Danne

I just uploaded a quick video at 36fps

But I know we talked about it before but I still can't get to 40fps with out the screen going weird

I choose 40fps then press the canon menu the go back to main screen and BOOM the screen goes weird again.
Any ideas. Its nice to go past 36fps but if I can't its fine too.

PS I didn't know about my menu option until you said there now. its great all the things I use on one page.

HANDY

ZEEK

EOS M

Danne

Quote from: berechiah on June 29, 2019, 11:37:27 PM
Hey Danne

I just uploaded a quick video at 36fps

But I know we talked about it before but I still can't get to 40fps with out the screen going weird

I choose 40fps then press the canon menu the go back to main screen and BOOM the screen goes weird again.
Any ideas. Its nice to go past 36fps but if I can't its fine too.

PS I didn't know about my menu option until you said there now. its great all the things I use on one page.

HANDY

I need more info. What build version used? Exact settings. Maybe even upload you're entire ML build straight from camera. Just tested 40fps works here with mcm rewired preset modes.

Romain182

Quote from: Danne on June 29, 2019, 04:42:18 PM
Bug? Don´t think so. Pleasy upload examples of what you look at being a problem. A MLV file, dng or something to inspect.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao7sNkSiu5ZxmgoDvEexGwXMnxIC?e=OTAESnhttps://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao7sNkSiu5ZxmgoDvEexGwXMnxIC?e=OTAESn

Here is the DNG file you where asking.
For remember the settings was:
Crop Mode
- MCM Rewire
- Bitdepth = 10bit
- Ratios = 16:9
RAW Video:
- Resolution - 1736x976
- Aspect Ratio - 16:9
- Card Warm-Up 64 MB
- Small Hacks - af on
- Sound Recording - OFF

Record on Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s 64GB

ZEEK

Quote from: Danne on June 30, 2019, 12:09:21 AM
I need more info. What build version used? Exact settings. Maybe even upload you're entire ML build straight from camera. Just tested 40fps works here with mcm rewired preset modes.

Using MCM 1080 Rewired (the higher frame rates one, I think 45/46fps), I can get 45fps max. The LV freezes, but you double press the menu button and then it's up and running as usual. 45fps looks really nice and I'm sure you can take it up a notch to 50fps in MLV App and slap it on to a 24p timeline. Build used 14th June.
EOS M

berechiah

Quote from: Danne on June 30, 2019, 12:09:21 AM

I am on the 30fps from the canon menu
I am on the build from 4 hours ago as of this time
I am using 1080p MCM Rewire
16:9 in crop mode (But also 2:35:1)
I am using kill global draw
I am choosing the "desired FPS 40 out of 30

berechiah

Quote from: ZEEK on June 30, 2019, 12:35:03 AM
Using MCM 1080 Rewired (the higher frame rates one, I think 45/46fps), I can get 45fps max. The LV freezes, but you double press the menu button and then it's up and running as usual. 45fps looks really nice and I'm sure you can take it up a notch to 50fps in MLV App and slap it on to a 24p timeline. Build used 14th June.

True that mode works fine.

But Danne mentioned before that in the normal 1080p MCM Rewire mode
I can set the fps higher and still work out ok

I just like the normal view in the MCM Rewire mode

if it is posable to get to 40 COOL but if not its a class job so far.

Hope I am not being a pain by asking this question
but it is a great job how advanced the Eos m is now. thanks for all the hard work Danne and to those other people too

Danne

Quote from: berechiah on June 30, 2019, 12:44:07 AM
I am on the 30fps from the canon menu
I am on the build from 4 hours ago as of this time
I am using 1080p MCM Rewire
16:9 in crop mode (But also 2:35:1)
I am using kill global draw
I am choosing the "desired FPS 40 out of 30
This too works on my cam at 40fps. Probably missing a setting if something's not working. If you want to go to the bottom here we would need you to film when you are setting up your cam. It could also be something affecting in canon menu. Who knows.
If you can send me your ml build from sd card after you have it all set I could test it here.
Also. Since you set 2.35:1 why not just select the 48 fps preset instead? It will be more or less the same quality.

berechiah

Quote from: Danne on June 30, 2019, 12:54:35 AM
This too works on my cam at 40fps. Probably missing a setting if something's not working. If you want to go to the bottom here we would need you to film when you are setting up your cam. It could also be something affecting in canon menu. Who knows.
If you can send me your ml build from sd card after you have it all set I could test it here.
Also. Since you set 2.35:1 why not just select the 48 fps preset instead? It will be more or less the same quality.

I'll do that
Ill take a video tomorrow and upload it to YouTube so you can see exactly what is happening

I can use the 48fps crop mode but it is the stretched view but iits fine anyway

Thamks Danne your life saver

U too zeek really appreciate all your utube videos

ZEEK

I know what you mean with the stretchy live view, i can live with it. But it would be nice to have the normal live view like in MCM Rewire. Like they say, the EOS M is what it is..at least for now. Got an EOS M2 coming in (^_^)
EOS M

berechiah

Quote from: ZEEK on June 30, 2019, 01:54:45 AM
I know what you mean with the stretchy live view, i can live with it. But it would be nice to have the normal live view like in MCM Rewire. Like they say, the EOS M is what it is..at least for now. Got an EOS M2 coming in (^_^)

I just got a 5d2 its top class but the eos m is way more advanced I think.
Love all the features

Is ml available for the m2?

ZEEK

Quote from: berechiah on June 30, 2019, 02:09:35 AM
I just got a 5d2 its top class but the eos m is way more advanced I think.
Love all the features

Is ml available for the m2?

5D2 is nice indeed.
Dfort has some test builds up on his site. But I believe they still need a bit of work. I think some stuff freeze, not too sure. Just bought in hopes that a good build will come out for the eos m2 like the EOS M. The eos m2 has WiFi, slightly better autofocus, slightly better dynamic range (11.2 vs 11.4) and 8% smaller.
EOS M