Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2blackbar

Thanks, ive seen this exact video and its not that bad

sirminder

Quote from: a1ex on June 23, 2019, 04:53:30 PM
To troubleshoot this problem, try the current lua_fix build from the download page. In case of incomplete shutdown, it should keep the SD LED always on, so you should notice it right away.

That change doesn't seem to be included in Danne's builds.

Quote from: Danne on June 24, 2019, 04:19:06 PM
New version:

- Shutdown routine from lua_fix(Thanks a1ex)
EDIT: Noticed lua isn´t compiling. Will take a look. Stay tuned.[/s] FIXED!

I did a few tests with Danne's JUN25 build and there is still some battery drain when the camera is set to OFF.

For the record, the issue that I am having does indeed seem to be with the Viltrox speed booster, AND NOT ML as I previously stated.  Even though I have the latest FW on the Viltrox, I am still having this problem and I seem to be the only one.

Other than removing the battery or even the Viltrox, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thnx

masc

Quote from: sirminder on June 25, 2019, 07:59:02 PM
For the record, the issue that I am having does indeed seem to be with the Viltrox speed booster, AND NOT ML as I previously stated.  Even though I have the latest FW on the Viltrox, I am still having this problem and I seem to be the only one.
You're not alone. ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

- 4k timelapse preset. Added shutter blanking when working wiht 4k timelapse presets. Works like this:
Select 4k preset. In sub menu add a 4k timelapse fps preset. Now shutter blanking is applied but preview is also very slow.
Select Slow shutter on top of above and as it says shutter will be slow as the fps selected. Shutter blanking will be off. Preview will be in around 7fps so faster and easier to set up due to some workaround foolishness  :P.
Tip: 4k timelapse mode will work very good with Rec trigger set to Half-shutter: start/pause

EDIT: Noticed lua isn´t compiling. Will take a look. Stay tuned.
FIXED!

Does this lua_fix routine work automatically?
For the timelapse preset: with slow shutter OFF it works here with 2..5fps, for 1fps the screen gets black and stays black until I go into photo mode.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Lua_fix is automated.
1fps works both 4k and 5k and slowshutter off but it's very slow. What we want is liveview to run 7fps when not recording and change to 1fps when recording like it's working with 100D. On eosm this workaround disables shutter blanking. No idea why.

masc

Now I was waiting long enough... the cam seems to be frozen for around 30sec here. But then it awakes to life again and works with 1fps.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Yeah, I guess you could preview in 4k without selecting timelapse or slowhutter and just before recording timelapse fps. It shouldn´t be 30 seconds, more like 4-5 s. Delays is very high upon restarting cam though...

lightspeed

thanks. just seems odd that 9 fps works ok and is continuous but it won't let you do 10 or 11 non continuous

Danne

It's more odd that this cam can film 4k anamorphic 24fps.
There are limits, believe it or not ;).

lightspeed

Does anyone know how to download video through the usb micro cable? I can only download photos.

Danne

@lightspeed
Try to use search more. Both your recent questions have been asked and answered many times before.

guerchi

Hello everyone here I am a silent user of ML since its inception. I remember talking to Alex in a videoconference about the possibility of cropping the sensor center to avoid alaising. The days of the t2i were relegated when I bought a bmpcc, camera with which I have been working for 6 years. I have closely followed the evolution of the EOS M, here and on YouTube, amazed at the results you have achieved. I got one of these little giants, and I was doing several tests. The first thing that surprised me is the ease with a few basic adjustments to get results in colorimetry that would take me a lot more work in the Blackmagic!
The MCM Rewire mode is beautiful to use, but I can not avoid the alaising even with old manual lenses.
The 2.5K CROP and 4k Anamorphic Rewire modes are simply incredible. For specific cases such as macros or teles, having the option of 5x Crop is great.
For the rest of the cases I was trying to get shots, free of pink frames in the 4k anamorphic rewire mode. Try all possible combinations.
The most stable mode is still with the 2.35 aspect ratio, I got a 2 minute clip with 0 pink frames indoors with few lights and one outside in the middle of the day with trees and sun of 4 minutes 13 seconds with only 6 pink frames.
The settings were:
12bit Losless
GD Kill ON
1280x1632
in a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB / s
with the version crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jun20.EOSM202

I just wanted to share my experience, and thank you for this incredible work. I will certainly use this camera for some future project.
I could upload later a test of what I was seeing about the behavior of these unwanted guests, the pink frames if you think it could be of some help.
Greetings to all.

2blackbar

Quote from: lightspeed on June 27, 2019, 02:39:09 AM
Does anyone know how to download video through the usb micro cable? I can only download photos.
I can download mov and photos connecting camera with mini usb cable on win7, just plug and play.PEople wont help if you wont specify your Operating system.

john5788

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Commits:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/72d33da5618f5ce1d8ebfbbb5d7d897de11079c9
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/d1672795e552aac3ce74f6155027c97faf8591ac

- 4k timelapse preset. Added shutter blanking when working wiht 4k timelapse presets. Works like this:
Select 4k preset. In sub menu add a 4k timelapse fps preset. Now shutter blanking is applied but preview is also very slow.
Select Slow shutter on top of above and as it says shutter will be slow as the fps selected. Shutter blanking will be off. Preview will be in around 7fps so faster and easier to set up due to some workaround foolishness  :P.
Tip: 4k timelapse mode will work very good with Rec trigger set to Half-shutter: start/pause

EDIT: Noticed lua isn´t compiling. Will take a look. Stay tuned.
FIXED!

Just curious, are these builds that I find within the forum threads going to make it to the Downloads/Main Builds page on the top of the website at some point in time? Or at least the changes merged back to the main code repo for new builds? There seems to be plenty of changes hiding within these threads but we have no new "stable" builds for 2019 on any of the ML cameras.

I'm not familiar with the official build process for ML, but I am aware that these are just user builds on independent code repos and aren't really meant for general usage.

Danne

The branch I started working on was crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd. Crop_rec developed by a1ex and audio included by g3gg0.
The way Ive been learning, experimenting, working out bugs on eosm etc are maybe not going into experimental builds etc but I consider most of my presets and fixes well tested and functioning. Mostly. Eos m is what it is. Not really a power horse in terms of cpu power.

AF-OFF

@Danne
new 28june build has difficulties to reach ML menu
if (after updating fw in photo-mode) starting cam in photo mode.
if one starts cam in video mode, ML menu can be reached as usual

Danne

Updating fw? Could you give an example I could try and reproduce here?

AF-OFF

sure, copied new build to card and extracted the archive
replaced the original files with the new ones
started cam in photomode and from canon menu updated the firmware
restarted cam in photomode
then wanted to enable modules from within ML menu, but it was impossible to enter ML menu
powering cam down, switching to videomode and powering back up could enter ML menu as usual

Walter Schulz

The update process you described changed this:
- Setting cam's bootflag (which was set before)
- Making card bootable (which is only necessary after formatting card outside cam or using a new card).
So you changed nothing at all.

Instead of replacing files (which will do in most cases) it might be a better idea to rename ML folder to avoid messing up with outdated/incompatible magic.cfg settings and obsolete modules.

AF-OFF

maybe, thought this is correct procedure
also fw update generates the rom files
replacing the old files with the new ones prevents imho that something can get messed up

Walter Schulz

ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN files located in ML\LOGS will not be overwritten ...

AF-OFF

@Danne
Found the error, somehow "Touch Shutter" was Enabled (canon menu, third wrench). Somehow this got activated.
Now the 28june build behaves as expected
Sorry for this false alarm

@Walter
I'm on osx, replacing files and folders with others having the same name will delete files and directories first then write the new files and dir. In the ML dir there are no LOGS or SETTINGS folders after replacing, so there are no rom or cfg files either

Danne

Touch shutter, hmm, Been ages since I fiddled in the canon menus  :P
Good that you solved your issue.

dfort

Yeah, touch shutter bit me a few times too.

Walter is suggesting renaming the ML folder before copying over the new ML download. That way you have your old settings and log files saved on the card.