Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berechiah

Quote from: henricusmaria on June 08, 2019, 03:38:43 AM
@berechiah Sounds good! Can you give your settings?

So sorry I didn't see this
I'll write the full list of info on here later for you

But there is a guy on YouTube called zeek
Just type "eos m zeek" and he has some seriously good videos on all this info
I'd be lost without his help also its extremely informative

dfort

Quote from: Danne on June 09, 2019, 09:10:53 AM
Three is enough ;)

Make sure to make room for an M2 and an M50 -- and get a few of those shutter-bugged lenses too.

Danne

You miss the silver version dfort ;)

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Added the more up to date cinema ratio 2.39:1 into the preset menu in crop mode sub menu. Works on all presets:
- Updated the lua cinema script to enter 4K anamorphic rewired 2.39:1 mode as starting point

2.39:1

dfort

Quote from: Danne on June 09, 2019, 06:31:49 PM
You miss the silver version dfort ;)

My first EOSM was silver.

Did a lot of experiments on that camera.

Danne

Those rig days. Almost broke my back   :P

lightspeed

I've been looking through the forums but can anyone tell me if turning off sound and kill global draw will result in longer recording times? does setting to greyscale have any effect?

baladev

Quote from: lightspeed on June 10, 2019, 01:58:45 AM
I've been looking through the forums but can anyone tell me if turning off sound and kill global draw will result in longer recording times? does setting to greyscale have any effect?

From my experiments turning off sound and killing global draw will definitely help to either make a recording a bit longer or if it is borderline continuous become one. Not sure what you mean by greyscale, if you mean setting preview to Frozen LV, it will help a bit as well, but not as much as turning LV off altogether.

From my experiments, the biggest improvement comes from changing bitrate from 14 bit to 12 bit - improvement of almost 11% in terms of reducing generated data. Strangely, going from 12 bit to 10 bit reduces data by only 7.5% - still a good improvement though. Turning off sound and killing global draw has much smaller effect than reducing bitrate. I never measured it but I would say maybe 2-3%.

Danne

Kill global draw will have a bigger impact than turning off wav. Tested grayscale preview but couldn't see any speed difference. Frozen liveview will have a big impact, even if using halfshutter to get framing preview too.
Workaround when using 10bit for example in crop mode sub menu is doing the same as when reducing to 12 or 11 bits in RAW video section. Not as sophisticated but works.

henricusmaria

Quote from: berechiah on June 09, 2019, 11:27:20 AM
So sorry I didn't see this
I'll write the full list of info on here later for you

But there is a guy on YouTube called zeek
Just type "eos m zeek" and he has some seriously good videos on all this info
I'd be lost without his help also its extremely informative

Thanks. I am familiar with Zeek's videos. Mcmrewire still gives me too much aliasing/moire. Maybe it's the lenses I'm using (ef-m lenses) or something in the settings. But I have a feeling it's the lenses. When I shoot in moviecrop mode it's much better, but the crop factor..

Danne

Anamorphic or zoom modes. There's no other way killing aliasing.

baladev

Quote from: Danne on June 10, 2019, 06:42:32 AM
Workaround when using 10bit for example in crop mode sub menu is doing the same as when reducing to 12 or 11 bits in RAW video section. Not as sophisticated but works.
Are you saying changing bitrate in crop mode sub menu is different from doing the same in RAW video section?

Danne

Yes. It's not working from RAW video section. Workaround is changing analog gain regs directly in crop mode submenu. So, always stay in 14bit lossless then change bitdepth in crop mode sub menu.

ricardopt

Hi everyone

Following Danne's advice im trying anamorphic mode (1x3 pixel binning), i start the lua script and then select 4k anamorphic and select 25fps but i get a zoomed in video, is this correct? Also when i select to autorun the lua script it says "cinema script is now disabled" everytime i turn on the eos m, autorun is supposed to be the oposite?

Thanks for any help/info.

Danne

Yes, no autorun with this script. You run the script once and it sets you up with all you need for filming in anamorphic mode. All settings persists.
Real time(cropped) preview while pressing half shutter, otherwise framing preview.
Download latest version, will get you into anamorphic rewired mode, slightly better real time previewing.

ricardopt

Thanks Danne,im using the latest version, my doubt was about the zoom in effect, is it normal? when i started to use magic lantern some modes had a zoom effect but by reading the forum tought that 1x3 mode didnt have the zoom in effect, also in orden to use 1x3 binning i need to select 4k anamorphic? When "hovering" 4k anamorphic it says it uses it, the other modes mcm rewire etc dont use that method?

Danne

Not sure what you are asking here. To verify you recorded a file in anamorpic mode simply drop it in Mlv App and export a still file. Check resolution, should be upsampled.

baladev

ricardopt

You are correct, when using anamorphic mode you only get a crop of the sensor. In fact, the only mode that gives you full sensor picture is mv1080p varieties, all other modes only read a part of the sensor, hence what you call a zoom in effect. The difference between 1x1 and 1x3 (anamorphic) modes is that the latter is able to capture a larger part of the sensor. With 1x1 mode you get around x3 crop, with 1x3 you get around x1.5-1.6 (crop depends on the resolution chosen, the higher the res, the larger the crop,  the smaller the crop factor).

Does it make sense?

masc

In theory 1x3 mode must not have a crop factor (okay, very little crop: 1664 columns from 1736). We just crop it slightly to not get too much corrupted frames and to be able to record longer clips.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

baladev

I think you meant to say 'doesn't have to have a crop'. Obviously we crop because the cameras don't keep up with capturing and recording full sensor readout even in 1x3 mode, so we are bandwidth limited.

Danne

I implemented it on 5D3, runs something like 5.5k 16:9, Can´t fully remember but it was quite the difference. Surprised nobody started recording anamorphic with this cam as well.

Also just uploaded a version for eosm which can record anamorphic rewired 1736x1900(5208x1900) when ratios is set to off in crop mode sub menu.
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jun10.EOSM202.zip

Continuous, hell no  :P

baladev

Thanks Danne

Should try this new build and see if it is pink frame free. With your April builds I got continuous at 1120 x 1890 24fps 12bit, but it was pink frame hell.

Danne

Quote from: baladev on June 10, 2019, 03:20:44 PM
Thanks Danne

Should try this new build and see if it is pink frame free. With your April builds I got continuous at 1120 x 1890 24fps 12bit, but it was pink frame hell.

If you set ratios to 16:9(crop mode sub menu) and 12bit in 4k anamorphic rewired mode it sets resolution to 1064x1800. Tested that?(Don´t forget to press canon menu and back when changing bitdepth by the way)

baladev

The April 11 build that I used for a while allowed me to set resolutions up to 1890 vertical in 4k Anamorphic Rewired. Lower resolutions, around 1800 vertical in 16:9 gave almost pink frame free footage with kill GD on. The lowest I tested was 1072 x 1810 24fps 14bit. And yes, I'm in the habit of going to Canon menu now every time I change something.

henricusmaria

Quote from: Danne on June 10, 2019, 03:25:21 PM
If you set ratios to 16:9(crop mode sub menu) and 12bit in 4k anamorphic rewired mode it sets resolution to 1064x1800. Tested that?(Don´t forget to press canon menu and back when changing bitdepth by the way)

I've tested it with one of the latest builds. It worked fine, no pink frames.