Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dokipen

Something I noticed that changed between the 2nd June and 4th June builds.

2nd June MCM rewire 16:9, the max res is 1800x1012 when I thought it should be 1736x976
4th June the res goes back to what it should be but the live view preview shows wrong for resolutions that aren't the max 1736x976. The crop goes in from the side but the full height remains until you lower it to around 1392x794 and then the top starts cropping. but it looks like the wrong aspect ratio.

Keep up the good work danne and everyone. I'm very much enjoying this community and the amazing results.

Thanks
Dan

Danne

Quote from: dokipen on June 06, 2019, 10:16:42 AM
Something I noticed that changed between the 2nd June and 4th June builds.

2nd June MCM rewire 16:9, the max res is 1800x1012 when I thought it should be 1736x976
4th June the res goes back to what it should be but the live view preview shows wrong for resolutions that aren't the max 1736x976. The crop goes in from the side but the full height remains until you lower it to around 1392x794 and then the top starts cropping. but it looks like the wrong aspect ratio.

Keep up the good work danne and everyone. I'm very much enjoying this community and the amazing results.

Thanks
Dan

It should always be 1736x976. If not just press canon menu and the reg will correct itself.

dokipen

Yes the canon menu does refresh the res, but after a second or so it jumps back to the 1800x1012 res. In the 4th June build that doesn't happen but it has the preview crops display height thingy.

Danne

Oki, I noticed this too now. That has probably been there all along. It seems to work if you set ratios to off in crop mode sub menu. Then you can use RAW video resolution changes. WIll take a look later on this. And yeah, use 4th june build. I was experimenting a lot before that with a few things trying to fix refresh stuff.

lightspeed

for some reason fps override doesn't work in 3k. is there a fix for this?

Danne

New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Adressed 30fps when recording in mcm rewired mode(16:9 and 2.35:1 ratios). More robust timing. Should work also with global draw enabled
Could you test @berechiah?

This fix will need two new focus pixel maps which dfort kindly enough built already:
https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/ml-focus-pixels/commits/31f8b131007f6f7281dd5e9e3d4e93c5c29b0d26

Put following two map files inside Mlv App:
80000301_1872x1060.fpm
80000301_1872x1059.fpm

Find map files here(download whole repo):
https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/ml-focus-pixels/downloads/

berechiah

Thanks for this Danne
I'll download it now and will use it later today

I'll get back to you tonight with the results.

Your a star!

dokipen

hi danne, that june 07 file doesn't seem to be in the downloads section yet :)

I'll be happy to give it a whirl as soon as its up though.

Cheers

Danne

Uploaded now!

EDIT: Yet another upload right now. Refined timers 30fps mode

marcelolippi

I'm starting to classify my documentary filmed with eosm 4.5k 2.35: 1 in davinci, setting the project in 4k dci but the closest option is 2.39, how do you work? do you leave the black bands and then cut them on delivery?

Danne

Quote from: marcelolippi on June 07, 2019, 03:45:35 PM
I'm starting to classify my documentary filmed with eosm 4.5k 2.35: 1 in davinci, setting the project in 4k dci but the closest option is 2.39, how do you work? do you leave the black bands and then cut them on delivery?
Interesting. Have not looked into post production issues. Maybe I should include a 2.39:1 preset in there s well as it seems what is used for cinema these days rather than 2.35:1.

Your issue, could you describe more in detail, maybe upload a few screen grabs?

marcelolippi

berechiah

Quote from: Danne on June 07, 2019, 03:58:12 PM
Interesting. Have not looked into post production issues. Maybe I should include a 2.39:1 preset in there s well as it seems what is used for cinema these days rather than 2.35:1.

Your issue, could you describe more in detail, maybe upload a few screen grabs?

Hey buddy
I tried the latest build and I recovered for 3min
with out global draw checked
so normal mode

and its PERFECT

I just mlvfs and put files directly into Davinci

Your a serious dude when it comes to this
I have to say
WELL DONE

henricusmaria

@berechiah Sounds good! Can you give your settings?

Danne

Thanks, great to hear it´s working.
@henricusmaria
He´s using mcm rewired mode, canon meny set to ntsc and 30fps. Global draw on.

lightspeed

may be a strange idea but anyone thought about shooting with two Eos m at the same time. Wouldn't you get 5 k for the cost of the two cameras which would be around 300 dollars these days.

whitelight

Quote from: lightspeed on June 08, 2019, 01:55:49 PM
may be a strange idea but anyone thought about shooting with two Eos m at the same time. Wouldn't you get 5 k for the cost of the two cameras which would be around 300 dollars these days.

Mmhhhh... That reminded me a friend who said "If you need a 3D printer, why don't you just use two 2D printers together so you get a 4D print and then get rid of 1D?"
Jokes aside, how do you imagine this would be feasible?

ilia3101

Do it as a panorama, always wanted to try that. It's a very good idea.

lightspeed

Or shoot 2000x2000 and then when you combine it will be 4000x2000

2blackbar

Why 2 ? Cinerama did it with 3 cameras for widescreen

Danne

Now we're talkin'.
I got 4 eos m's. Just sayin'...

whitelight

You should find a way to arrange three cameras similarly to this

http://stanleylivingston.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/CINERAMA_CAMERA_3_LENSES.jpg

Maybe three eos M with 22/2 in vertical configuration could do the trick

lightspeed

My thoughts as well. You could connect 2 by the tripod mount and shoot vertically

baladev

Quote from: lightspeed on June 08, 2019, 09:43:09 PM
Or shoot 2000x2000 and then when you combine it will be 4000x2000
I don't think this would be optimal. You will have some vignetting and distortion in the corners/edges. You would need to correct these in post, otherwise you will have darker lines/blobs in the middle of your video (like in the example video above) and also the stretched/distorted corners will meet in the middle of your frame and you will get a weird looking picture. Also, how about sharpness decrease in the corners? For this reason when making panoramas you always overlap shots by about 30%, maybe this won't be a problem with low res videos..

Quote from: Danne on June 09, 2019, 12:09:43 AM
Now we're talkin'.
I got 4 eos m's. Just sayin'...
Gosh, and I thought my 3 were an excess. How did you come to own 4?!

All in all, this is a neat idea, I need to try it out.. I imagine a custom mounting plate should be used - cameras either looking away or towards each other.

Danne

They sell sometimes for no money over here. A1ex unbricked one of them and them so here I am with 4 beuaties. But selling one. Three is enough ;)