Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2blackbar

Any idea how to avoid half pink frames with raw mv1080 ? Or the only way is to reshoot, i can actually see when theyre goin to happen because screen flickers in a certain way.
I did some diggin on forums and found out histogram might be the cause and overall ML overlay so its best to disable them during raw record, ill check this.Some other guys said that framing preview during recording causes this.

baris3

Quote from: 2blackbar on April 03, 2019, 06:05:38 PM
Any idea how to avoid half pink frames with raw mv1080 ? Or the only way is to reshoot, i can actually see when theyre goin to happen because screen flickers in a certain way.
I did some diggin on forums and found out histogram might be the cause and overall ML overlay so its best to disable them during raw record, ill check this.Some other guys said that framing preview during recording causes this.

I have m50 anyway. I can shoot 4k with manual focus with it. My purpose was to get a good resolution raw video from my original EOS M. But now I see magic lantern is problematic and it gives half pink frames, even on mv1080 like you said. However I have not encountered any pink frames in my mv1080p clips, but I think it is because I have not recorded that much mv1080.

Other than that I do not see why I would use Magic lantern on my eos m, it is not stable and just adds to work flow. Yes 12 bit recording is good and captures so much data about colours but not good when it randomly gives half pink frames.

2blackbar

I used mlv lite before croprec and it doesnt gave me even one pink frame with histogram onscreen, is it possible to merge it with croprec ? From what i see croprec is using rawrec 2.0 and mlv lite is faster for a lot of guys.

baris3

Quote from: 2blackbar on April 03, 2019, 10:52:50 PM
I used mlv lite before croprec and it doesnt gave me even one pink frame with histogram onscreen, is it possible to merge it with croprec ? From what i see croprec is using rawrec 2.0 and mlv lite is faster for a lot of guys.

What is the the advantage of croprec ? Can I record 4k without crop rec ? I do not think so, no ?

Danne

Guys. I don´t know fully what´s going on but clearly I hear a lot of complaints about pink frames and what not. Either you start helping out uploading sample files, explaining specific settings, and I mean exact settings, or nothing but zip will come out of this. Magic lantern is simply not for everyone.

gravitatemediagroup

which build is being complained about?  I've not shot a ton with the latest, but I've not seen any anything unusual yet.  I also try and stick with the settings I know are stable with my card.  I have a feeling, most of the people complaining are more than likely trying to run settings their card can't handle. 

baris3

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on April 04, 2019, 01:58:35 AM
which build is being complained about?  I've not shot a ton with the latest, but I've not seen any anything unusual yet.  I also try and stick with the settings I know are stable with my card.  I have a feeling, most of the people complaining are more than likely trying to run settings their card can't handle.

Do you know which cards required to record 4k ? I am complaining about the this latest build, I am new to ML and I thought I could record clean 4k footage with my original M after all this years.

crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Mar29.EOSM202

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: baris3 on April 04, 2019, 02:10:10 AM
Do you know which cards required to record 4k ? I am complaining about the this latest build, I am new to ML and I thought I could record clean 4k footage with my original M after all this years.

crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Mar29.EOSM202

which card are you using? everything it says on the front, or just take a pic of it.

baris3

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on April 04, 2019, 02:16:42 AM
which card are you using? everything it says on the front, or just take a pic of it.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDHC-UHS-3-SDSQXAF-032G-GN6MA/dp/B06XWMQ81P/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=SanDisk+Extreme+32GB+microSDXC&qid=1554244329&s=electronics&sr=1-3

This is the card I am using.

I just can not record 4k resolution without lower half pink frame after 1 min, and it starts to skip frames after 40 seconds or so. I am using 5k anamorphic mode and I tweak the settings to 16:9 in croprec and 2.35:1 in 5k anamorphic settings, then max the resolution which equals to 3500x1500 when strectched. I was able to record 4464x1900 resolution (when strecthed) but now I can not achieve it again and I do not remember which mode I have used to record it.

Which mode is best for recording 4k ?

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: baris3 on April 04, 2019, 02:43:37 AM
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDHC-UHS-3-SDSQXAF-032G-GN6MA/dp/B06XWMQ81P/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=SanDisk+Extreme+32GB+microSDXC&qid=1554244329&s=electronics&sr=1-3

This is the card I am using.

I just can not record 4k resolution without lower half pink frame after 1 min, and it starts to skip frames after 40 seconds or so. I am using 5k anamorphic mode and I tweak the settings to 16:9 in croprec and 2.35:1 in 5k anamorphic settings, then max the resolution which equals to 3500x1500 when strectched. I was able to record 4464x1900 resolution (when strecthed) but now I can not achieve it again and I do not remember which mode I have used to record it.

Which mode is best for recording 4k ?

I'm not sure if using a microSD, especially one of that speed, will be able handle what you're trying to throw at it, especially depending on what other settings you have set within ML.  I think most people use the ExtremePro 95MBs cards, wheras I think your card is 30MBs.

baris3

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on April 04, 2019, 04:00:11 AM
I'm not sure if using a microSD, especially one of that speed, will be able handle what you're trying to throw at it, especially depending on what other settings you have set within ML.  I think most people use the ExtremePro 95MBs cards, wheras I think your card is 30MBs.

Can you send me samples of what you shoot ?

This card can record 4k in EOS m50, though I know it is 8 bit. I do not understand why it would not record 40 mb/s data in ML eos m.

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: baris3 on April 04, 2019, 05:38:01 AM
Can you send me samples of what you shoot ?

This card can record 4k in EOS m50, though I know it is 8 bit. I do not understand why it would not record 40 mb/s data in ML eos m.

HUGE difference in 8bit 4k and RAW.  A completely different beast, it's pretty much the purpose of ML. 

marcelolippi

I used all Danne builds from February until March 24th. I was able to continuously record the build on March 24th, shooting the two sd luas and 2.35 cinemas, in 4.5k. Proved that if I cast two or three recordings the pink frames occur but then in the next recording stabilizes and stops making them. This is my card

hosting gif

Danne

Seems that card will be able to do write speed of 60mb/s while smaller than 64gb will do max 40mb/s:
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/sandisk-extreme-90mbs-64gb-sdhc-memory-card/

To be sure one needs to benchmark the card. There are modules for this created by a1ex. Simply use another build and run the benchmark tests. Search on the forum how to do the tests correctly.
One way to test is by filming. If youre card reaches around 53 to 55 mb/s while recording 5k anamorphic 2.35:1 it´s probably ok to use. If not, reconsider getting a faster card. The only card I use that I know reliably works is the extreme pro version but others might find other brands or cards.

baris3

Quote from: Danne on April 04, 2019, 08:57:12 AM
Seems that card will be able to do write speed of 60mb/s while smaller than 64gb will do max 40mb/s:
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/sandisk-extreme-90mbs-64gb-sdhc-memory-card/

To be sure one needs to benchmark the card. There are modules for this created by a1ex. Simply use another build and run the benchmark tests. Search on the forum how to do the tests correctly.
One way to test is by filming. If youre card reaches around 53 to 55 mb/s while recording 5k anamorphic 2.35:1 it´s probably ok to use. If not, reconsider getting a faster card. The only card I use that I know reliably works is the extreme pro version but others might find other brands or cards.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/sandisk-extreme-90mbs-u3-v30-32gb-microsdhc-memory-card/

The card I am using is that one. It says it easily reached 60 mb/s and even exceeds it. I will benchmark the card while shooting. I want to shoot exported 4464x1900 resolution, I have a clip like that but it is only 3 seconds. I do not remember if I stopped the recording or not, but I do not remember the settings I recorded for that clip so I dont have an idea how to do it again. Does auto stop recordings save to card ? I mean, when it becomes red it only records for 1 sec or so and automagically stops recording.

Danne

There´s two ways to find out what is pratical to use when it comes to recording and what works or not

1 - Start reading from here and check all posts:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

2 - Short answer. Install magic lantern and run the cinema 2:35.1 lua script. By doing this you will get right into this preset:
5K anamorphic but it will run in 2.35:1 ratio and continuous. The new ratio will be:
1488x1900 Which when imported into Mlv App will upscale to magical, tada:

4464x1920

The other highres presets simply won´t work with full fps(24fps or 25fps that is) but with reduced fps.
Please. Before posting further do go through all posts starting from the provided link above.

ctfire

hi everyone , today tasted the latest build and notice some strange dots line in bottom of the frame in 2.35 : 1 45\48 fps mode 10 bit . It's very simmilar  to focus pixel dots.

Danne

Maybe it´s focus dots then? Tested chroma smooth 3x3? Tested dfort pixel map files and put them into Mlv App?

dfort

Yes, those are focus pixels.

When the pixels are too close to the edges of the image the interpolation algorithm can't handle it because there are not enough pixels to sample. Adding more chroma smoothing or the "median filter" in dcraw won't help. One way around this is to crop out a few pixels in post. You need to resize anyway if you are working on a standard HD or UHD project. Another way around this is to try a larger image size. Yes, larger because the focus pixels at the edges of the sensor usually don't light up.

Here is an image of the full frame buffer showing the out of bounds area in dark grey and the focus pixels on the active area.

2blackbar

Guys is it possible to hide only histogram when recording raw and making it appear autimatically when not recording ? That would be super useful.
Or display only camera passepartout when recording raw for chosen aspect ratio to save as much cpu cycles as possible without disabling overlays completely.

baladev

I've just finished smoking this thread starting from page 70. First of all I would like to thank Danne, dfort and many others who helped testing releases and iron out the bugs. It is absolutely incredible what you guys have achieved here. I used to be a Sony guy with 3 Sony bodies and only one Canon (6D), but because of ML and mainly the video raw capabilities that have opened up to us recently I now have 5 Canon bodies (withing a month I purchased a 5Dm3 and 3 x EOS M). Raw video is so addictive.

Now, while I've been reading the thread and came across many 'bug' reports, I felt that possibly?? some/many of them could be related to the cards people are using (which is possibly the reason why they couldn't be reproduced by Danne). For raw filming I personally use Sandisk Extreme Pro cards exclusively and have come across very few glitches with ML on my 6D or EOS M and they have been the same - I routinely get one or two corrupted frames at the very beginning of my takes  with the rest of the footage being fine. Since we 'overclock' the interface, making it write faster than Canon wanted us to, maybe it's crucial to use the highest quality cards.

I only have limited experience with EOS M - so far I've been using the old Nightly.2018Aug07.EOSM202_mv1080p build because it gave me a quick access to full sensor 1736x976 mode which I used for filming two music clips last weekend and a few test takes in the last two weeks. I wanted to read the thread and get up to speed with all the new development that took place after July last year before installing the latest build, which is what I'm going to do now and dive into all the new stuff.

I hope to be useful to the community that has given me so much and give back something. Would there be any interest if I shared my experience with different raw processing workflows?

baris3 - if all you want is trouble free 4K footage and don't care/don't understand/don't need RAW and just want higher resolution videos - I would suggest you stick with M50 and 4K video it can produce. RAW video, especially using ML is much more involved, especially if you want to push it to extract every bit of detail/color information out of it. Do you shoot raw photos or jpgs? If you shoot raw and understand what advantages it gives then you can understand the advantages of raw video - it's the same. However if you take jpg pictures and are happy with them, raw post processing workflow will be overwhelming for you. I can record only about 27 minutes of 1736x976 14bit raw onto my 64Gb card (are you ready for HUGE files?) If you increase these dimensions by a factor of two (which is close to what you will get when approaching 4K anamorphic), that's 4 times more information, so a 64Gb card would be able to hold only about 7min of recording (a bit more if you record 10bit). Do you want/need that?

Danne

2blackbar

Found a bug with dots appearing on footage in most recent build:

It happens when i use aspect ratio 2.35:1 from croprec menu or 16:9 and if i turn aspect ratio off then dots disappear but then i have serious problem with shutter speeds and cant get lower than 70 cause it loops back to 4000.
mv1080p 1736x1158 mode.not see it on rewire mode.

Danne

Known already. And solved too. Use search function or read through the posts I pointed to way too many times already.

2blackbar

YEah i have dfort pixel map files in folder with mlvapp but it doesnt help when i press buttons in fix focus dots.OR do i need to do something more?
Its resolution 1736x738 and i dont see this resolution in focus maps scripts folder.Does anyone has that ? How to generate it ?